Author Topic: Steampunks in Arizona? Phoenix even?  (Read 6274 times)

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
Steampunks in Arizona? Phoenix even?
« on: July 25, 2007, 07:59:52 pm »
So I am beginning to wonder if there are actually any steampunks in Arizona. I attend Arizona State University (arguably either the first or second largest university in America), I live in Phoenix (the fifth largest city in the country) and yet out of the vast number of people I encounter on a daily basis I know of only one other steampunk and I stumbled across that fact on accident after I had known her for months. I have seen one or two people in goggles or otherwise steampunk like attire from across a large crowd but that is the closest I have ever come to running into one and even then I was not sure. I have considered myself steampunk for a few years now and I am always easy to spot as I never leave my house without a pair of goggles on at the very least. I am calling you out Arizonian steampunks and steampunk enthusiasts, speak up.

Quebrith

• Snr. Officer
  • Are we not gentlemen?
Re: Steampunks in Arizona? Phoenix even?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:38:26 am »
Ah, Mr. Thipp, I myself am a Tucson resident, a mere 67 leagues away. I am still trying to put together a proper steampunk ensemble, so you wouldn't likely spot me in a crowd. Yet.
How excellent to make your virtual acquaintance!  Despite the dearth of water (a necessary ingredient for steam, I am told), Arizona is an ideal venue for steampunk, due to our wealth of sunlight. (What is your school's mascot again? Go, Solar Infernals!)

For those who might doubt us, I present this photo:

Solar-powered printing press, 1894. (Credit: SHEILA TERRY / SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY/ sciencephoto.com)

Many of the talented artists here in town have a bit of a steampunk flavor, and are interesting folks. You might consider attending the next event put on by "Flam Chen". They've been known to play Phoenix, as well. http://www.flam-chen.com

A photo or two from their last performance:
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/PaulRiegel/2007%20March/?action=view&current=IMG_4429.jpg
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/PaulRiegel/2007%20March/?action=view&current=IMG_4429.jpg
http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x3/PaulRiegel/2007%20March/?action=view&current=IMG_4417.jpg
(They are much better than my photography 'skills' would imply....)

The All-Souls Procession is also not to be missed, interesting characters abound.   http://www.myspace.com/allsoulsprocession

If you're down Tucson way, the first pint's on me!

~.~ Capt. Quentin Quebrith ~.~

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 03:52:49 am »
Ah, good to see a response so soon. Tucson is not so terribly far away though I do not make it down that way all that often myself. I have been putting my outfits together one bit at a time. I have a number of items in various stages of production, it helps to know people who make things.

I have always loved that picture by the way.

Thanks for the heads up about Flan Chen and the invitation certainly goes both ways, don't hesitate to take me up on a pint if you are in Phoenix.

As for the rest of you, there is one that spoke up. I am waiting...

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 03:03:42 am »
There are two more of us here, sir.  Both myself and Empty Head are in the southeast valley (south Scottsdale, Chandler, Tempe, Mesa, etc).  We have known each other for years and both just recently joined this forum.  I, too, attend ASU (Tempe campus).  This will be my last year.  Empty Head and I are working towards a workshop, so feel free to join in on our thinktanks.

They aren't for the faint of heart, though, and I feel morally obligated to warn you that there is a slim chance you might go insane.   ;)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 03:06:11 am by Monk »

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 08:43:54 am »
I am actually earning my degree from the west campus though I have spent most of my time at main anyway. As for the slim chance of going insane, have no fear for I have been insane since birth or at least some time around that point. Well met Monk.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 11:33:14 pm »
As for the slim chance of going insane, have no fear for I have been insane since birth or at least some time around that point. Well met Monk.
Haha, good answer I suppose!  Welcome aboard, sir.

Empty Head

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2007, 03:00:57 am »
Looking forward to the brain trains to come.

Be seeing you.

SteamCrow

• Deck Hand
  • I eat coal
    • Monster Commute Webcomic
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:45:13 pm »
Hello -

Yes, I live in Peoria, and work in Phoenix.

I've been into steampunk for a little while now, having discovered it from RPGs.

Anyway, I even had a Steampunk getup at the SDCC, though I missed the party.

We were exhibiting with our company, Steam Crow Press. Our mascot is a steampunk scarecrow.

Anyway, glad to meet you all.

- Daniel

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 02:18:13 am »
Your art is PHENOMENAL!   :D

Maurautius

• Officer
  • Ingenieur der musikalischen Traummaschinen
    • À REBOURS
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 05:43:12 am »
Oh, that's so messed up. I lived in Peoria for FOUR YEARS and had no idea I lived so close to such a swell community. Hrmmm....

Oh by the way. This is my first post--breaking the lurking silence of the last several weeks. HALLOOOO EVERYBODY!
"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."<br />
~Oscar Wilde

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 07:14:51 am »
Good to see you all crawling out of the woodworks. Keep it coming guys, just how many of us are there?

Empty Head

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 05:53:49 am »
Well Well then perhaps we should organize a meet for those who care to attend, and drink from our brandy snifts and discuss about things and whatnot.

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 11:01:16 pm »
I would certainly be game for a meet somewhere. It takes little encouraging to get me out of the house in the name of drinking and discussing things.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2007, 07:49:17 pm »
I would preferably like to know a day or so in advance, but I'm free any day/time this week.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 11:22:42 pm »
Where's the enthusiasm?   ???

Empty Head

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2007, 11:36:24 pm »
WOOOO!  :o

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 02:56:58 am »
Heh, I am a bit in between internet at the moment. I just moved so pardon the absence. I will figure something out when I am actually back online.

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2007, 07:51:07 pm »
It has been a long week but I am once more a part of the aether world. If there is still interest in an Arizona, specifically a Phoenix area meet up then speak up. I know of a few good pubs (O Connor's and the George and Dragon have always served me well) and my evenings are fairly flexible at the moment. Obviously I am open to other suggestions but at least this is a conversation opening point.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2007, 01:07:24 am »
I just started up school again, so I can do Thursday nights and anytime on Fridays.  I can also do Saturdays and Sundays, but I MUST know those at least 48 hours or 72 hours in advance, respectively. (Essentially if I go out on the weekends, I must know by early Friday morning at the VERY latest or else my weekend plans are already set in stone.)

Empty Head

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2007, 04:38:49 am »
george and dragon is good for me, good food aswell

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 04:47:07 pm »
Well this weekend is perhaps a bit busy for me but what about next weekend (weekend of the 1st)? Also, if the George and Dragon (I mentioned it because the food really is good) works which one? I have only been to the one on central but it seems like there is one in Tempe as well.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2007, 01:01:35 am »
I'd rather go to the Tempe one since it's closer to me and Empty Head, but either one works.

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2007, 05:31:51 pm »
The one in Tempe will work, central is a nighmare right now anyway and getting to that George and Dragon can be a bit of a pain. At this point both Saturday and Sunday are open, is there any preferance? Also, I know a few other people have posted in this thread though not recently, anyone is welcome. I have a friend I am going to try and drag along.

Monk

• Officer
  • Eye on the Grid
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2007, 02:38:36 am »
The one in Tempe will work, central is a nighmare right now anyway and getting to that George and Dragon can be a bit of a pain. At this point both Saturday and Sunday are open, is there any preferance? Also, I know a few other people have posted in this thread though not recently, anyone is welcome. I have a friend I am going to try and drag along.
I would prefer Saturday if I'm going to be drinking late at night since I have school on Mondays.

Thipp

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Lord of the monkeys
    • Thipp's Myspace
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:11 am »
Saturday will work. If we want to do it a little earlier in the evening I have fellow steampunk friend who has to work that night. So perhaps in the neighborhood of six-ish. Later is fine if that is what works, she would just like to make it if possible.