The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 17, 2018, 02:42:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beamish Museum Christmas Fair - with ice skating !  (Read 7552 times)
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:29:35 pm »

Sorry everyone, I'm still chasing Beamish for a definitive reply. The response I had originally by email was "I think this would be okay", which while positive isn't a definite "YES".

The chap I'm dealing with was away last week and has again been away part of this, but hasn't returned my phone message or email from the start of this week. Now he's got a written message on his desk, left by a colleague. He'll be fed up of me soon! I hope to get a positive response for you by the end of Monday.

However, this delay shouldn't be a reason not to plan your travel or book trains, I hope. Beamish's only concern is that if we are too Victorian/Edwardian in appearance then other visitors might think we were staff - hence the reason for asking us to wear the "visitor" badges.

Last year, for my birthday, which took place during the summer and hence a fairly busy time, the staff were all wonderful and welcoming, and no one had any problem with our outfits (we wore the "visitor" badges then as well). So, I don't expect any problems this time; contacting Beamish is - hopefully - more courtesy than absolute necessity.

David
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 12:35:36 pm by Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge » Logged
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2010, 06:34:10 pm »

Hello, me again!

The man from Del Beamish, he say "yes". And he's booked us the Porter's room - no mention made of payment required (there wasn't last time). Now, I originally told him there'd be 20 of us ...

Please come  Grin
Tranzient Gallery
Snr. Officer

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 11:34:09 pm »

I still plan to come along if i can get there!!!

marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

I believe because it is absurb.

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2010, 08:05:22 pm »

Brillant its a go go go for us count Susanne and me in .Looking forward to meeting you all.
Okko
Deck Hand

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2010, 08:17:01 pm »

It is hoped that My Wife and I will also be attending this event subject to our travel plans not being  disrupted by our exploration and cataloguing of the indigenous tribes in  Darkest Harrogate en route to Beemish. 

Dandy , adventurer , Raconteur, Fantasy object of sexual imagery , Defender of the British Empire and Drinker of Tea .
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 10:31:39 pm »

Excellent news Mr Cogge and thanks for chasing.

Right, to work on that ice skating outfit......

Lord Miles Harrington
Snr. Officer

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2010, 10:30:04 pm »

We will be coming to the Beamish event on the Sunday. Wez if you need picking up from Durham station we can do that. We will see you this weekend at Harrogate so we will have a chat then.

We are off to Robin Hoods Bay Victorian market on the Saturday so we can come to Beamish on the Sunday. I am chicken so will not be skating but will be taking photos now that will surprise most of you LOL.

Miles.

Fee
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2010, 12:38:58 am »

Just to bring this back to the top of the page again   Grin
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2010, 02:55:11 am »

and again
Tranzient Gallery
Snr. Officer

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2010, 05:49:35 pm »

Wez if you need picking up from Durham station we can do that. We will see you this weekend at Harrogate so we will have a chat then.
i think i might of sorted it but i will chat to all the relevant parties tomorrow in harrogate thank you all!!!
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »

Wez dont forget to bring the ice walking /sliding type boots for sue to try
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:52 pm »

OK, just over a week to go so here's the plan.

Meet in the entrance hall of the museum for 10.30 on Sunday 5th.  Prices are reduced for the winter but Mr Cogge is going to see if we can get a group discount anyway.  As they say up here, shy bairns get nowt.  So if we can all loiter with intent till everyone is there that would be great.  I will try and get my mobile number to everyone without posting it on a public forum, should be possible, but if not I'll put it on the FB page or just email me from here and I'll send it over.  We will have to wear 'visitors' badges just so people don't think we work there otherwise we might get some interesting questions.  Mind you last time I overheard someone saying that the Morris Dancers had arrived when we stepped out of the pub  Angry

Beamish is happy for us to use the Porters room for lunch and for us to drop our picnic off in the morning so we don't have to do a car park run before we can eat.

Hopefully this bad weather will have passed by then, at the moment Beamish is operating on a day to day basis because of the snow.  The trams can't run so they are relying on vintage buses to get round the site but I guess even these will struggle eventually.  Even if the snow is gone by then I think it's going to be cold, it is an 'open air museum' so please bear this in mind - thermals to the fore methinks.  There is a tea shop and a pub we can take refuge in and I'm sure they'll have the fires going in the various buildings.  I'll keep my eye on the situation though and post both here and on FB if things look like they are going to fall through.

There are some lovely photos on the website from the start of their Christmas festivities if you fancy a gander.

Finally, we may have a photographer with us.  My friend Julie who is joining us knows a photography lecturer who is interested in coming along to take pics.  She'll not be in Steampunk kit but apparently leans a little towards the 1950's for her everyday clothes so is definately not a 'normal'  Wink  I assumed no-one would mind, between her and Lord Miles we should get some interesting pics!

Looking forward to it, see you all there   Grin
Tranzient Gallery
Snr. Officer

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2010, 12:09:31 am »

Wez dont forget to bring the ice walking /sliding type boots for sue to try
Im sure I wont but remind me when i get back from london! lol on another note i do now have another pair for me!!! just need to tweak my boots to get the skates on.
Okko
Deck Hand

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2010, 09:10:14 am »

This planned Camping trip to Beamish did seem sensible when planned  in late summer... - will just have to increase the supply of Mulled wine and Brandy supplies for the expedition to account for the change in weather.
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2010, 10:02:31 am »

Mulled wine is always a winner, at any time of year.

However, at the moment I can't even get out of my estate, never mind down to Beamish!

Angry

marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2010, 08:16:30 pm »

Snow is falling all around us.
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2010, 08:43:39 pm »

Camping, Okko? You're brave!
Okko
Deck Hand

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

One should never let the climatic conditions  dictate who is the superior - the empire was not built by waiting for a mild weather front. One should always show the nasty weather  brighter contempt by wearing inappropriate  clothing - after all, where would we be now without wearing a nice warm  wool red coat in the searing heat of the Sudan? . As my old friend Captain Oats said  "one  can always stay warm with a good  supply of propane , methane and insane".
Rt Hon Septabarius Cogge
Officer

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2010, 02:17:43 pm »

Beamish is closed today. If anyone is worried about Sunday, the site's phone is 0191 370 3131.

http://www.beamish.org.uk/Home.aspx

However, as yesterday the snow was melting rapidly in my street, but today it's hardly stopped snowing ... I confidently expect a heatwave on Saturday.   Grin
Okko
Deck Hand

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:47 pm »

Thats the spirit Cogg irrational Optimism- not enough young people have it these days.
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2010, 11:39:15 pm »

Ok, chaps, we are going to make a definite decision about Beamish tomorrow, but I have to say that in all probability we will have to postpone   Cry

Weather here is atrocious and it seems that its now just as bad further south.  Beamish has actually been closed all day today for the first time since the snow started 8 days ago.

I'll look to finding a new date in the new year and hope that Jan 2011 will bring better weather!
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2010, 10:14:56 am »

Hi, just to confirm due to an overabundance of snow I'm going to postpone this trip till January. 

I am sorry to do this but I don't think there is really much of an option.

Once I have found a suitable date in January I'll post on BG so watch this space.

Sorry again, but look at it this way, it gives us a few more weeks to hone our ice skating outfits!

F
marcus cudworth
Snr. Officer
England England

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2010, 10:22:25 pm »

Any news on a new date for the visit ?
Major Dickie Woodruff
Deck Hand

« Reply #48 on: December 06, 2010, 10:37:35 pm »

please let me know what dateyou deciede on in Jan
Regards
Dickie

Major Dickie Woodruff, M.C., DSO, MSO.
Hunter of the last sabre toothed Duck billed platipus.
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2010, 10:33:46 pm »

Hi guys,

Looking at the first half of April if this is OK with people.  I need to check with the museum from exactly which date it opens in full. 

I know this is often the start of the re-enactment season so if there any dates I need to avoid can you let me know.

Cheers

F
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: