The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 05:21:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Idaho/Northern Utah Steampunks?  (Read 3967 times)
dteigue
Gunner
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 01:05:57 am »

Yeah, I know it will take a lot of work.  I have a friend who's family has a lot of experience with planning conventions, So she could help out, but I think I'll start with just a meet-up and see how well that gos. I don't want to invest a lot of time and money into it yet, if it isn't going to go over well. . .
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 06:27:46 am »

Well, message me if I can be of any assistance!

The more bleak the day. The less I behave as if Everything black can wash away.
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 04:01:19 pm »

Oh, wow...I'm gone for a week of Halloween madness, and this thread takes off! 

I'm rather amused by the venom attached to whether or not one is a member of the LDS Church...I myself am not, however, I think that in such a heavily religious area, it might help to draw fans to Steampunk if we keep in mind that many of the people who might be interested in the area will, simply by statistical default, be Mormon.  Flies and honey, etc, etc...  Wink

I'm another one in the process of getting appropriately geared, however, I'm also a musician(violinist--more then 12 year experience and a good ear), InTheDark, and am trying to keep my ear to the ground to find others in my area interested in starting a band.  If you could help me keep an eye out on the forum, I'd be very grateful!  I agree that before we could have an actual event in this area, there would need to be a larger following, and some actual draws (art, music, etc).  Otherwise, what would people be showing up to see?

Virginia, if you come out this June and would like to meet up, please, send me a note!

dteigue, should you host a meet-up, I would be happy to help as possible.  A Saturday would be best for me, since my husband works two jobs, and it's his only day off. 

InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2010, 06:25:09 pm »

Well, I can say that on the venom side of things. when you get ostracized, set on fire and stabbed with a pencil, and each time each person that does those things to you says its because you're not mormon.

you may harbor a lot of resentment.

even if its undue, for those who have never done anything to you. a note of distaste is still understandable.

Off to the constructive side of things... I'm a beginner guitarist, so not much use now... but I hope to be soon!

Also, I deal with a few Local bands... If we wanted the bigger, heavier local talent... I may be able to book them...

this band comes to mind...

http://www.myspace.com/breauxrock

All in all, I think a meetup to exchange idea's and talk about the possibility of future events would be a great idea

dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2010, 08:32:43 pm »

I play bass and kinda sing. don't know how good I really am at either though, lol
As for a meet-up, a Saturday would be best for me as well.
maybe if we were to have a meet-up we could talk more about this band idea.
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 05:11:36 pm »

InTheDark, I'm very sorry to hear that.  A few years ago I would have apologized for and in behalf of those people...but not at this point in my life.  Too many tragedies, both experienced and witnessed.

Since majority religion is an issue in this area, it is still in our best interest to make sure that it is a non-issue if we are trying to develop a group, eventually (hopefully) large enough to have our own local events.  While that is the case, though, I have a very low tolerance for cruel or jerkish behavior.  

I'm in no rush with the band concept...put together well with a good concept and foundation is much better then half-done and hasty.

I do agree, though...strongly in favor of working out a meet-up in order to develop a strategy for our neck of the woods.   If I were in a more central location, I would happily host. 
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 05:13:27 pm »

InTheDark, I'm very sorry to hear that.  A few years ago I would have apologized for and in behalf of those people...but not at this point in my life.  Too many tragedies, both experienced and witnessed.

Since majority religion is an issue in this area, it is still in our best interest to make sure that we choose to make it a non-issue if we are trying to develop a group, attract others, and eventually (hopefully) become large enough to have our own local events.  While that is the case, though, I have a very low tolerance for cruel or jerkish behavior.  

I'm in no rush with the band concept...put together well with a good concept and foundation is much better then half-done and hasty.

I do agree, though...strongly in favor of working out a meet-up in order to develop a strategy for our neck of the woods.   If I were in a more central location, I would happily host.  

So sorry....I tried to edit the above and clarify, and quoted instead. 
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2010, 06:33:29 pm »

Not Looking for pity, not to emotionally concerned. I'm simply stating my personal experiences as an example of how Galvanized our States Culture is, and why.

We can't turn what already is a lot of peoples issue into a Non-issue. but what I think Steampunk Events could provide is something that could build a bridge between utah's heavily Divided Culture.

As long as none of our events have belly dancers or Beer. and nobody smokes ANYTHING anywhere near them. and they aren't held on a sunday. I'm sure they can be something that everyone could enjoy.

I'm also in no rush with the band, as I sold my guitar to pay a ticket recently, and I haven't built my next one.

As for a meetup location. there is a tea shop in SLC that was absolutely lovely... *Googles*

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salt-Lake-City-UT/Elizabeths-English-Bakery-Tea-Shop/95913685426?v=photos
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 12:06:36 am »

We all have our own personal experiences with our states culture and it isn't all pleasant (for that mater it isn't all negative either)
And it is something that will always be an issue, but hopefully it wont interfere with the growth and development of the delightful subculture that is steampunk. I like to think that there is a rather large but hidden community here in Utah, and I would like to see everyone come out of the shadows.

That tea shop looks splendid.  It would definitely be a place that I would be happy to meet at. Thursday evenings, Fridays or Saturdays would be best for me. Due to the fact that I am in school Monday through Thursday weekdays are difficult, but if there is a time that works best for anyone else, I can make it work.   
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 01:04:41 am »

^Word, and ditto... to almost all of that...

Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:59 am »

As for a meetup location. there is a tea shop in SLC that was absolutely lovely... *Googles*

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Salt-Lake-City-UT/Elizabeths-English-Bakery-Tea-Shop/95913685426?v=photos

That looks lovely!  

I agree, too...I'm sorry if it came across as pity.  That wasn't what I intended, at all!  Sometimes I'm not the easiest to understand online.  My sense of humor doesn't always make sense. 

Give me a date and time, though, and I'll be glad to meet up. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 01:42:25 am by Deseret » Logged
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2010, 01:46:18 am »

I've been there once before. they have Authentic British Treats I don't even know the names for!
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 12:24:12 am »

Is there a date and time when everyone would like to meet up at this location?
Tomorrow would be a bit short notice, but how about next Saturday, the 20th?
If anyone would prefer a different day, I can certainly make it work for me.
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 02:55:21 am »

I currently have no plans on the 20th but Work could change that... was there a time?

If I am unable to make it for whatever reason, I'll try to Message someone before then!
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 05:20:26 am »

They open at ten, and I would have to leave around 12:30, as I do have family plans later in the day
So would around 10 or 11 work? It's a bit early but there isn't much else to do around that time anyway,
at least for me. . .
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2010, 07:49:16 am »

Eh, kinda early for me. but if it works for others? I'm game...
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 05:40:25 pm »

Would Friday afternoon work better for you?
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 05:43:40 pm »

Saturday works better for me, because it's a three hour drive for me to SLC.  If I went for Friday night, I'd be driving very late to get home. 
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 10:10:04 pm »

Would Friday afternoon work better for you?

oh no worries, at the moment I still have all of saturday clear, what works best for you and Deseret is really what matters.

is anyone besides the 3 of us coming?
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2010, 01:41:06 am »

Saturday works better for me, because it's a three hour drive for me to SLC.  If I went for Friday night, I'd be driving very late to get home. 

That's quite a drive.  Will 11:00 be too early for you? since I have other plans later on Saturday its the only time that works for me,
But Friday around 1:00 would also be fine

is anyone besides the 3 of us coming?

as far as I can tell its only been the 3 of us posting, and I don't know anyone really who would be particularly interested,
but if you have any friends who would like to come, that would be fine by me.
InTheDark
Gunner

Celeritas

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 03:06:00 am »

Okay then! Next Saturday at 11. Unless Work or Deseret tells me otherwise!
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 03:57:52 am »

sounds good  Grin
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »

Eep!

It needs to be the week following!  This is why I had to double-check...that's the one Saturday that my husband works (it's normally his day off).  Can we do it on the 27th, or is that cutting too close to Thanksgiving?  11am would be fine though...8 or so isn't too bad for me to leave by. 
dteigue
Gunner

« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2010, 08:12:12 pm »

The 27 would be fine with me, assuming I can get out of my TaeKwonDo class, but I've missed a lot lately so I'm not sure.  Undecided Is Saturday the only day that works for you Desert?
Deseret
Gunner

« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2010, 08:40:39 pm »

A week day would potentially be problematic, since we only have one car, and my husband works two jobs. 

Since distance is such an issue, It makes me wish that there was a venue closer, like Logan or Davis County.  If I can't make it due to travel issues, by all means you two meet up still!  The important thing is getting a regular group going, and ideas being traded. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: