The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 20, 2019, 11:17:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brass Goggles ring  (Read 79085 times)
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #225 on: February 14, 2011, 11:56:22 pm »

That much I've figured out on my own. (Must be a miracle that I figure something out... Grin) I just don't like being left in the dark.

(Also NPM wooo  Tongue)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 12:03:08 am by LukeHogbin » Logged

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord
United States United States

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #226 on: February 15, 2011, 03:17:11 am »

Pewter is shite on my skin. I'll turn all manner of colors.  Angry

Care to send me a wax packed in a thick Styrofoam box so it doesn't melt? Otherwise I'm out.
Tyrant Seabear
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Horizontal Return Tubular boiler? I barely know er

« Reply #227 on: February 15, 2011, 04:01:30 am »

Yet another (un)fashionably late arrival to the crowd, I would love one!

Are these rings going to become our version of the Mason's rings? We'll spy one adorning the finger of a passer by... Our eyes shall briefly meet, a quick smile, a nod, a tip of the hat, and an invitation for tea and steamy conversation!

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #228 on: February 15, 2011, 11:30:23 am »

I think we might need something more drastic, we need to have our brains erased with mind rubbers.

Sir,

May I suggest a new project?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #229 on: February 15, 2011, 11:45:45 am »

Surely the MIBrass would be created to protect us from tacky puns and double entendre?

Meanwhile - can we please have a advertising flyer for the rings that describes sizes, finishes and prices?

I would love to circulate it here and there.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #230 on: February 15, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »

Still very interested and, if you will forgive me being so forward, would like to help out on the U.S. side of the pond if so desired. I've access to a casting equipment lab if necessary even, thought I've no idea of it's current condition.  Wouldn't take too much work to get it up and running again if needed.  Any and all work could of course be approved in advance and would still be under your direction.  
Please do let me know if we can be of assistance.

Regardless of that, I know several here locally would truly enjoy one(myself included).  

And for those who cannot wear pewter, there are commercial sealers available for a decent price considering the abuse it takes and keeps functioning, though honestly a clear nail polish can protect it well for a shorter time(just not nearly as durable).  

Thank you for taking the time to get this show on the road.  I've found that if we didn't do so much we'd have a lot more for "spare time" projects.  When you're spare time projects take up more time than your job....which one is considered the hobby?

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
wrenchhead
Snr. Officer
Iraq Iraq

« Reply #231 on: February 17, 2011, 06:28:48 pm »

Jumpin' Jehosephat! See the things you miss when you don't pay attention! Count me in for a Large and a Small!

justinkase
Officer

"Putting a monkey wrench in the works since 1878"

captjustinkase
« Reply #232 on: February 17, 2011, 09:02:20 pm »

I will want a large. But how exactly large is a large? I wear a size 11 just on the pinkie.  My ring and middle fing are sz 14.

Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #233 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:51 pm »

How much for one?

What do we want? Decapitations!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #234 on: February 17, 2011, 09:33:12 pm »

Pewter? bleuch!

Brass I say!  Grin
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 09:38:10 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2011, 09:50:07 pm »

OK guys just a recap to help folks who don't want to read the whole thread.

Pewter is the only metal available at this juncture because people were worried about allergic reaction or skin colouration from copper based alloys.  US import regulations also make it very difficult to clear metals for sending.  Lead free pewter meets all these requirements.  We will be offering an option of gold plated rings too.

There are initially two sizes: 17mm diameter and 20mm diameter, or, if you prefer, size 'O' in English, size 14 European, and size 7 US for the smaller; and size 'U1/2' in English, size 23 European and 10 1/2 US for the larger.

Prices will be revealled shortly once we have the first batch produced and can calculate the price.

Thank you for the offers to distribute on in other lands.   I will check with Herr Doktor but we may well wish to take you up on the offers.

I hope to have more news towards the end of next week.

BE SPLENDID!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2011, 10:38:51 pm »

Sorry, I did try to read it all but got mentally tripped up by the whole goat, ring, bleach malarky! Undecided

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #237 on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:54 am »

OK guys just a recap to help folks who don't want to read the whole thread.

Pewter is the only metal available at this juncture because people were worried about allergic reaction or skin colouration from copper based alloys.  US import regulations also make it very difficult to clear metals for sending.  Lead free pewter meets all these requirements.  We will be offering an option of gold plated rings too.

There are initially two sizes: 17mm diameter and 20mm diameter, or, if you prefer, size 'O' in English, size 14 European, and size 7 US for the smaller; and size 'U1/2' in English, size 23 European and 10 1/2 US for the larger.

Prices will be revealled shortly once we have the first batch produced and can calculate the price.

Thank you for the offers to distribute on in other lands.   I will check with Herr Doktor but we may well wish to take you up on the offers.

I hope to have more news towards the end of next week.

Excellent news - and we have a steampunk event in Melbourne on 7th May where I would proud to launch the rings.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #238 on: February 18, 2011, 11:01:46 am »

Too big for me and too small for Mr C, oh well..... Sad

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #239 on: February 18, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »

Too big for me and too small for Mr C, oh well..... Sad

Get them resized?

Or is that too costly?

In an extreme case, cut the ring and spread it open slightly so it fits...
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #240 on: February 18, 2011, 12:47:57 pm »

We can look at producing different sizes after this first run.
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #241 on: February 18, 2011, 09:25:13 pm »

Pewter and bending don't get along very well if I recall correctly. 

There are very simple bridge devices to properly space a larger ring to fit, but stretching pewter is not a good option.  Not familiar with that specific grade, but I'd recommend waiting till a possible larger ring is created. 
can't recall what the spacers are called either if there is a technical term.

A simple piece of clear silicon tubing, or even fish air pump line, would work admirably as a spacer, depending on the gap being filled. 

Just my thoughts on the matter.  You could of course hang it from a chain as a part of a chatelaine, etc.
WillRockwell
Zeppelin Captain

Revisiting history until we get it right

« Reply #242 on: February 21, 2011, 04:01:41 pm »

not brass??

Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #243 on: February 21, 2011, 05:34:04 pm »

not brass??

Only if you can convince your government to change all their ridiculous export laws added over the past few years Wink
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2011, 07:32:52 am »

not brass??

Only if you can convince your government to change all their ridiculous export laws added over the past few years Wink

Have em made in India and sell em at Harbor Freight.

Too big for me and too small for Mr C, oh well.....

Get them resized?

Or is that too costly?

In an extreme case, cut the ring and spread it open slightly so it fits...

What!? The buckle on the underside doesn't function!?

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Utilitarian Prototype
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

Trust me - I'm a Marine Engineer

« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2011, 08:02:43 am »

Just to get a foot in: I too would love one.

Marine Engineer 2nd Class STCW III/2 and V/1
Wilhelmina Frame
Zeppelin Captain

ptliontamer
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:01 pm »

not brass??

Wouldn't it be a ridiculous import law?

OK I know you want to be "legal" but couldn't you just send something over to someone here as a "gift"?

On another front, if the problem of sending other metals is having an entity with the proper credentials to receive them I might be able to help you with that via my husband. Silver really is more preferable. Send me a PM about this if that is the case.

Or perhaps bring them with you in your luggage when you come for the Canadian Expo and SPWF? Wink

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2011, 01:13:36 pm »

Sell them as artist's handmade goods through Ebay, Etsy, or similar outlet to bypass whatever the country of origin's metals sanctions exist. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2011, 01:26:36 pm »

It is absurd considering the US attitude to lead poisoning, why everyday many innocent people in the US fall victim to gross amounts of lead deposited in their bodies causing immediate death and injury.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2011, 01:35:16 pm »

Ah indeed, Import, not Export.  Sorry that would be a typo on my part... I had been having a similar discussion on another forum I frequent regarding export laws and certain items that have been imported to America, however their laws won't allow them to then be exported.  It's very frustrating, I think I got a bit confused as to which thread I was posting about *ahem* whoops.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: