The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 16, 2021, 09:02:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Everyday attire  (Read 33855 times)
das joker
« on: July 19, 2007, 01:51:49 pm »

How steampunk is your everyday style?

Mine is... not at all steampunk. Not because I'm too shy to show my colours, but because I'm too lazy to go out finding/making nice steampunky things to wear. >_> I'm definitely of the crazy tinker variety though, and I've got ideas involving my old battered New Rocks, tool belts, goggles, bandanas and canvas jackets. Need to find some interesting thrift shops to raid.
Alderman Simeon
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

of Darlington, England

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 01:54:48 pm »

Likewise; not at all. At work: office dress code (ie, shirt and tie, no denim, no trainers); out of work: jeans, T-shirt (usually with some band logo, or Team McLaren Mercedes), skate boots.

Contents under pressure.
Leyden jars not included.
May contain nuts and bolts.
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 01:57:57 pm »

My clothing is very slowly creeping towards a more Steampunk day to day style, but as I seldom buy clothes and am frankly quite terrible at shopping, it takes an almost glacial time before my wardrobe swings to a new compass heading.

Presently some days I consider myself pleasantly Steampunk-light, and other days not Steampunk at all.  Good days feature long skirts with embroidered cogs, a short velvet military style jacket, blouse and pagoda parasol.
Thalesia Turnblood
Snr. Officer
United States United States

One bathtub scene, coming right up!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »

I'm a mom and when people discover I'm also a writer, they already think I'm a nutjob. For my children's sake, I try not to highlight it with how I dress! Although, to be honest, I doubt I'd go too far into costuming in any case. As I said, I'm a mom -- I'm all about comfort, ease of movement, and no ironing.

Reality is messing with my fiction.
Have Coffee, Will Write
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 03:18:28 pm »

I'm a system administrator but that doesn't let me get away with much - working for an outsourcer, we have to maintain a high standard of dress around the datacetre.

Still ... I've started wearing vests waistcoats ...

Relinquo vos liberos.
Dr. Tobias Archer
Officer

Ship's Surgeon

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 04:03:49 pm »

Unfortunately my day-to-day style is nonexistent. Wink

Despite rarely seeing the light of day, let alone actual people, from within my cubicle, I am encouraged to wear shirts with my employer's sigil embroidered above the breast pocket.  For a long while these were typically golf shirts or simple tee shirts with blue jeans (Yes, it is a very strange office environment . . . ), but more recently I have been using my uniform allowance to purchase cargo pants and button-down shirts to sort of "ease into" an increasingly steampunk look.  I have a rather peculiar idea of converting one of those old golf shirts into a waistcoat to wear around the office.

I spend a fair amount of my free time engaged in physical culture or pottering about the house, and my mode of dress on these occasions is . . . shall we say laxWink

I seldom buy clothes and am frankly quite terrible at shopping, it takes an almost glacial time before my wardrobe swings to a new compass heading.

My feelings exactly, Miss!

I have come to detest my collection of tattered old t-shirts that I usually wear when out and about, and I'm slowly trying to work up to a more elegant image for myself.

The Voyage of the Gangrel Sole

The forceps of our minds are clumsy forceps, and crush the truth a little in taking hold of it.
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:21:34 pm »

My everyday garb again has a tendency to err away from steampunk. Usualy I wear a mixture of loose shirts or woollen jumpers in winter.
-However I wear a waistcoat most of the time, although I have always done this so it is not particularly steampunk influenced. Also being a 6th former I get to wear my own clothes to school Grin

generally my garb may be summed up by simply saying "too many bright colours waistcoats & bandannas"

Them/they
Outa_Spaceman
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 05:43:15 pm »

I drive a van all day from charity shop to charity shop delivering their stock...
My day to day clothing is becoming more & more SP.
Shop managers are now saving items they think may interest me..
Can't wait till my employers replace my van with a Stanley Steamer...
Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »

I think my everyday style is probably called "gypsy steamy bohemian punk" or something. hippie skirts and peasant tops, velvet blazers, that sort of thing.  I'm moving more toward steampunk, but it's the same as when I was gawth; I get tired of wearing the same sort of things for too long. I tend to verge toward the punk side of steampunk.  Most victorian "high style" clothing is not very flattering on me (I'm quite large, as a Victorian would say, I run toward excessive embonpoint), so I stick with slightly earlier Regency styles, and the (much) later sort of 40s styles.  But, I mix everything up.  I also wear a fair bit of Indian/Near Eastern clothing, and a good deal of old school punk.

One benefit of being in grad school is that there's no dress code at all.  (also, I make slow progress toward my lifelong goal of being a mad scientist and an absentminded professor)

"From my heart & from my hand, why don't people understand, my intentions...Weird Science."
Johannes Ghee
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Reluctant slave to the bean.

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 07:34:51 pm »

I actually have a (rather dashing) waitscoat hanging in my wardrobe (a gift from my beloved, in fact) but have not had the opportunity to wear it. This is mostly due to the extra hours I've been getting at work and the delightful Irish weather. Every day this week, for example, the weather has been in turns blazing hot, then a torrential downpour some forty minutes later, then overcast and muggy, etc, calling for light clothing and easily- stowable rainjackets.

Mother Nature, I despair, I really do.

That said, however, I am gradually assembling various articles of suitably styled clothing and hope to steer the lumbering steam-Pachyderm that is my fashion sense onto a more gentlmanesque track.

"Don't forget to use a reasonable amount of caution should your hobby be one that is dangerous. Your wife doesnt want you to be 'funky' but she has a right to expect you not to take undue risk in your auto car, bicycle or flying machine."
'Dont's' For Husbands 1913.
"Menace him, you idiot!"
Anachronist
Officer
Dandy and Dilletante

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2007, 08:27:11 pm »

I'm pretty darn steampunk in my everyday dress, actually. Ever since high school, to a certain extent, I've been incorporating suits and victorian elements into my personal style. Eventually, I managed to secure a job where I am encouraged to wear period (1867-1872, specifically) costume. From there, it was all downhill. It's an uncommon day that I couldn't fall through a time warp to some-indeterminate-time-in-the-past and get fewer funny looks than I do walking down the street today.

My roots in the industrial scene lead me to occasionally punk it up a little with strappy boots and goggles, but by and large I just wear suits and sportswear that are at least 50 years out of date. I feel naked leaving the house without a tie of some sort, and mildly uncomfortable without a hat. I also sport a handlebar moustache, forever marking me as an old-timey weirdo, even if I were to leave the house in jeans and a t shirt.

Regards,
Alexander

The first sign of the beginning of understanding is a wish to die.

Strange-Sara
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2007, 09:16:08 pm »

...Eventually, I managed to secure a job where I am encouraged to wear period (1867-1872, specifically) costume. ...

What do you do?
Dr. Zero
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 10:00:24 pm »

I plan on buying a scooter soon (which I hope to steampunk up, if possible), and I hope to work out a way to wear my SP goggles for eye protection while riding.  I wear glasses, and can't wear the goggles at the same time, so it's either prescription lenses for me, or I'll have to go back to contact lenses (ugh).

Otherwise, the only daily attire I usually wear is a bowler during the winter, with a long black wool coat. Cheesy  I really want to get some clock gears to use as a decoration on one of the lapels.
Major Francis Cleverly
Snr. Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 10:05:13 pm »

I also wear a long black woolen coat during the winter time (which in Oregon/Northwestern/US is pretty mild).  Found it at Goodwill for $20.

On another note, are there any good resources for (not too expensive) everyday attire that is more victorian than usual clothes?  (preferrably online - I live/work in a small town near Portland Oregon).

Aside from needing to expand my wardrobe, I consistently wear to work Dickies brand work shirts and cargo pants - and I'm an IT geek at a governmental office.

Nothing.
gpalmer
Snr. Officer

Mad Limner and Sometime Bricoleuse

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2007, 10:31:52 pm »

As a freelancer, I don't have much in the way of clothing constraints. Most days I wear a tee shirt and ankle length skirt, sometimes a men's dress shirt.  In the winter, I wear a long black wool coat, petticoats under the skirt, and knee high striped stockings.  I generally wear boots or heavy shoes, and I've got hair a little past waist length.  However, this all mostly contributes to me looking odd and slightly victorian, but not all that steampunk.

Grace D. Palmer

<a href="http://gracedpalmer.necropolisstudios.net"> The Art Of Grace D. Palmer </a>
kyle jones
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2007, 10:33:49 pm »

I'm rather unsteampunk in my usual attire, a nice fitting pair of Levi's, some simple leather shoes, a tshirt and sometimes an overshirt. I do have a rather nice green military jacket that verges on it, but not quite. When I dress up for an occasion, though, I tend to get a wee bit more Victorian due to my build. Being 6'1'' and only weighing 140lbs, I'm quite a slender man so I find it hard to wear current style American suits and opt for a European and often times Victorian cut to better fit me. I also feel strange wearing a suit without a vest of some sort.

Now in costume I tend to dress up as the Vault Dweller from Fallout... so not so much Steampunk, really. The gas mask does have goggles though?
Dr. Redmoon
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 12:31:45 am »

My wardrobe consists of blue-jeans and a bunch of those shirts with witty sayings on them that no-one seems to like anymore. Since finding this forum, however, I wear my goggles every single day. I like to think of them as a necklace.
Drake White
Zeppelin Admiral

Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 01:44:55 am »

Day to day not really much steampunk honestly.

At work its suits and ties although after the summer I'm gonna start sneaking waistcoats in, out of work I'm mostly a combats and t-shirt guy, comfy casual and lots of pockets is what I like (can never have too many pockets).

Changing my style from surf-bum-come-military-reject to steampunk-swashbuckler is probably going to take a while.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 02:20:28 am »

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this on numerous occasions. I dress like this all the time. If you do hey, if not, that's fine too.

I wear a waistcoat, with pocket watch, black pants,...boots, and a newsboy. The winter months will allow me to wear a wool coat..I need to purchase a new one. I have lost too much weight for the one I currently own.

I am working on a handlebar moustache, but it's taking time. Ah, well I'm sure it always does.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Enli
Officer

Enli

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2007, 02:21:29 am »

I also sport a handlebar moustache, forever marking me as an old-timey weirdo, even if I were to leave the house in jeans and a t shirt.

When I saw you at the Lightning Bolt concert, the first thing I noticed was your moustache. When I noticed it I thought "hmm" and looked to see what you were wearing, and my suspicions were confirmed! ^__^

As for my everyday attire- I generally dress in a casual goth-punk fashion. In the winter I end up layering in a KERA type fashion (japanese goth-punk art fashion magazine), mostly composed of black, green, purple, red, plenty of stripes, plaid, lace etc. I love big boots with big buckles. I have a few pieces I consider steampunk that I wear, but I don't have the money to re-do my warddrobe. I'm in no rush to convert it, as I'd rather wear goth-punk day-to-day with some steampunk details anyhow.

STEAMPUNK: THE NEW CULT OF DRUGS DEBAUCHARY AND DEATH
AdAstra
Deck Hand

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2007, 05:04:03 am »

My everyday stuff isn't steampunk as of yet, but I've been thinking about ways to incorporate elements of it into my usual jeans-and-t-shirt style. T-shirts with gears, having steamy accessories and and other minor touches, since I'm not terribly interested in looking like a walking anachronism all the time.
Akael
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2007, 05:27:16 am »

Hm.  This entirely depends on your definition of everyday attire.  My most common attire is either old black jeans and a button-up shirt or my old military coveralls - but that's because I work in an industrial hardware warehouse, and anything I wear is doomed to be torn, scraped, covered in metal shavings, and dunked in grease (Perhaps that is ultimate steampunk, but I refuse to let my good clothing be treated that way).  My everyday-leisure attire, on the other hand, can only be summed up as eclectic.  Some days may be steampunk, some days may be age-of-sail-esque, some days see me traipsing around downtown dressed in SCA garb, a little goth, a little punk, and a lot of I-saw-it-at-Goodwill-and-it-goes-with-this-skirt-I-love-and-I-HAD-to-buy-it-and-we-don't- NEED-to-pay-the-electric-bill-this-month!  I am constantly asked where the party/event/etc is - no one seems inclined to believe that I would dress up in a fantastic outfit only to walk to 7-11 for an iced coffee and a pack of gum.

Philistines, the lot of 'em.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 05:29:24 am by Akael » Logged
Jacob Squirrel
Officer

Teller of Good Stories, Maker of Bad Jokes

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2007, 05:41:53 am »

When i head out with friends or otherwise its jeans, hiking boots, and a gray or generally dark coloured shirt that has a nifty pocket (I plan to start embroidering them with cog designs, via the tutorial on BG) , and a black baseball cap.

around the house, i wear a shirt and pants are optional.

I plan to buy some material, and start on attempting to make myself an mad inventor garb for costume parties and such, and im going to invest in some gentlemanly clothing for fancy occasions

"Madness is never to far away."
     -Jim Carrey
Rosalind Fairchild
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2007, 08:21:48 am »

My everyday style varies so much, people sometimes don't realize I'm the same person!
I have lots of things that could be considered steampunk, but a lot of the time I look like I'm a crazy hippie. It's fun getting stared at in shops and such. ^_^
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 02:11:10 pm »

This is me in everyday life(I didn't put the pics in, because I've posted them before).  I try to mix steamish stuff and kodona/dandy, sometimes well, sometimes not so much.  I have to wear long pants for work though, and that style of make up tends to only come out at night.
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/61_percent/?action=view&current=teddy02.jpg

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/61_percent/?action=view&current=vincent-upload.jpg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: