The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 26, 2021, 08:05:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Model locomotive kitbashing- COMPLETED Stirling Single, photos page 2...  (Read 26464 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 11:11:37 am »

The Hornby Railroad carriages are nice models- they used to be in the main range before the super-detail ones came out. They have their flaws- for instance although they look the part they aren't models of any particular carriage- but they are very nice models and provide parts galore for scratch-building specific carriages.

Now that the engine is pretty much dealt with I'm looking at the carriages.  I found the Vintage Carriages Trust has a database of preserved (and not-so-preserved) historic carriages around the country.  I've been looking for ages to find what happened to the carriages of the 1938 train, and assumed that they had been scrapped.  So imagine my surpise when I found about 15-20 Great Northern 6-wheelers listed in various states of repair.  The good thing is too that the original running numbers are listed- so I know I can build my pair of all-thirds as 459 and 1441, with 129 at a later date, my composite as 6032, a brake third I have my eye on as 589 and another brake third bashed into an all-brake as 948.  

The loco itself I have decided to number as 668, which was a later Single built around 1880.  The 'Emily' toy is based on one of the later Singles- noted by the lack of cut outs in the splasher over the driving wheel- so the number and the model match.  

This is a classmate of 668- #666- aside from lacking coal rails on the tender my engine looks almost exactly alike.

-EDIT-

She's finished!  The transfers arrived this morning and were duly applied.  I ordered methfix ones by mistake but was pleasantly surprised how easy they are to use- far easier than water-based ones.  I'm just waiting for the varnish to dry off and I'll post up some decent photos from my bigger, better camera.

Here are the photos (although the varnish is still drying off)

Quite a few more (straight from commencement to completion) here.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:58:32 pm by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 02:41:41 pm »

A week's gone by, and, as is my nature, I've been fettling with the 'completed' model. 

The hand-painted lining and boiler bands annoyed me intensely.  They looked so... amateurish.  So yesterday evening I set to work.  I firstly took a sheet of A4 paper and inked it up- a block of Indian Ink and a block of Canary/ Sunshine Yellow- then left it to dry overnight.  This morning I had two lovely uniform blocks of colour.  Then I took my ruler and scalpel to them and cut out long strips for boiler bands and three rectangles for the tender, and two semi-circles for the splashers.  I painted over the existing lining and allowed it to dry, then applied a new coat of varnish.  Whilst this was still wet I firmly pressed my paper forms into it- in effect, a set of DIY transfers.

This new lining out job is a vast improvement on the old one and I am much happier with it.
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 11:42:25 am »

James,
   Your project has inspired me to do a kitbash project of my own.  I am using a "New Bright" G scale toy train to produce the train from "Back to the Future III".  Here is the train as it started:

I'm only about 1/2 way completed.  It's been a great indoors project for me to work on while recovering from my hernia surgery and while it's been so hot outside.

Some more photos:

The Die Cast Time Machine will be replaced with a plastic model kit.  I'll fabricate the the railroad wheels for the car and put the kit tires in a wooden crate on the cow catcher.

Please excuse my baseboards.  After 20 years of kids and dogs, they are in need of repainting.

The hardest part here was growing the Bonsai Oak trees to cut the fire wood!  Smiley

The great part of this is that I've been able to retain the 'toy' features, so my model will be able to push the time machine around the track, have train sounds, blow smoke out it's smoke stack and have the head light actually light up.  I home this train will teach my grandson the if you put your mind to it, you can do anything.

Hopefully I will have it compete in about a month.  I'll be sure to update then.

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

A. Pettyengineer
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2012, 07:31:13 am »

As a member of the Gn15 Forum I love kit bashing as it is 1:24 approx and it was 1 of my 1:24 people that went into the steam powered submarine.
So keep going LOOK GOOD.
Now I will have to relook at all the Thomas Stuff out in the shed somewhere.

Ah!!! I see it's a Tersun Universal Spanner in the works.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2012, 09:50:58 am »

Hmm, it looks like my reply disappeared overnight....

As I said before, before the internet ate my reply, I do rather like it.  It looks like you've changed the wheel arrangement and moved the rear driving axle further back- did you re-use the original chassis or build a new one for it? 
The Bullet
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2012, 07:54:40 am »

A GErman Company selle the DeLorean as rail vehicle, complete and (my opinion) well detailed.
If you are interested I´ll try and dig up the catalogue pages.

If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: