The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2019, 11:10:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Pinup II (PG 13 only may be NSFW)  (Read 174154 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #800 on: December 24, 2013, 09:25:13 am »

Hehe, thanks for throwing us a bone. It does seem this thread often boils down to erm (how can I tactfully put it?) older men admiring younger ladies.  Cheesy

I apologise on behalf of many us that we're not more pinup-y, but really you all do a far more splendid job of it, and just so you know we do appreciate your efforts.

Merry Christmas.  Smiley

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #801 on: December 24, 2013, 11:49:18 pm »

Got to get this rant off my chest - bah humbug.

Wearing a scanty outfit in black does not make one a steampunk.  Alright!

(Oh phew, I feel a lot better forgetting that out of my system.)
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #802 on: December 24, 2013, 11:59:50 pm »

got bored, did this

Click for bigger

Don't look my best, deal with it.

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #803 on: December 26, 2013, 04:35:03 am »

Got to get this rant off my chest - bah humbug.

Wearing a scanty outfit in black does not make one a steampunk.  Alright!

(Oh phew, I feel a lot better forgetting that out of my system.)

It does if you pair a top hat and goggles with it, I mean 1000 models can't be wrong.  Wink

got bored, did this

Click for bigger

Don't look my best, deal with it.

Hehe, more power to you. We need a few more bold chaps around here methinks.  Grin
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #804 on: December 28, 2013, 10:57:10 pm »

"I mean 1000 models can't be wrong"

Oh yes they can!

(for the non UK people, this is a sort-of quote from a type of play called a pantomime which is very popular with people, particularly children, at this time of year.)
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Edwardian summer

« Reply #805 on: December 29, 2013, 11:20:31 pm »

Consensus fallacy: 'Everyone knows the Earth is flat.'   "1000 models can't be wrong."

OH YES THEY CAN!!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 11:22:52 pm by Arabella Periscope » Logged

Kenneth: 'If you're so hot, you can tell me how to say she has ideas above her station.'
Brian:'Oh yes, I forgot. It's fairly easy, old boy.
Elle a des idees au-dessus de sa gare.'
Kenneth: 'Idiot.  It's not that kind of station.'

Terence Rattigan 'French Without Tears.'
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #806 on: December 30, 2013, 10:32:25 am »

Lol, I'm not going to start shouting oh no they can't, as I was being sarcastic in the first place. But I already attempted a debate on this and the wider issues a while back, and it didn't go down so well which is why you won't find it in the archives. Having heard pretty much all sides of the argument at this point, I've little else to offer by way of opinion other than each to their own.

Suffice to say, be they Steampunk or not, skanty outfits are evidently here to stay. Personally speaking I can think of worse problems to deal with.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #807 on: December 30, 2013, 11:08:46 pm »

"I was being sarcastic in the first place"

We know you were

Oh no ....
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #808 on: December 31, 2013, 12:33:45 am »

Now THIS is a Steampunk pinup!

(PS Lest I be misunderstood -- this is an opinion within an enthusiasm, not a definition exclusive of others' tastes -- like at a cat show I might hold up my tabby mouser and say "Now THIS is a proper cat!" while another enthusiast would hold up a Blue Himalayan with a lot of fur and say the same thing.)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 10:19:50 pm by Arabella Periscope » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #809 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

I'd certainly concur that it is, but it's still a skimpy outfit with a top hat. It's a very stylish setting that looks to be genuinely somebodies home, which gives it all an extra authenticity.

But even from that, I can still see how a lot of photographers are taking certain elements, dressing up their models (who are very obviously not Steampunks a lot of the time) in a certain way, and continuing to produce the kind of photos we are constantly seeing at the moment.

Still that's a considerably more classy effort and the lady is truly beautiful, is that you?
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #810 on: December 31, 2013, 04:26:40 pm »

I'd certainly concur that it is, but it's still a skimpy outfit with a top hat. It's a very stylish setting that looks to be genuinely somebodies home, which gives it all an extra authenticity.

But even from that, I can still see how a lot of photographers are taking certain elements, dressing up their models (who are very obviously not Steampunks a lot of the time) in a certain way, and continuing to produce the kind of photos we are constantly seeing at the moment.

Still that's a considerably more classy effort and the lady is truly beautiful, is that you?
My emphasis added.

How do you know they are obviously not steampunk? Is there a tell? Are they missing their requisite cog tattoo?  Wink

The easthetic has jumped genres long ago. Why quibble over who is and who isn't One Of Ustm?
Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #811 on: December 31, 2013, 06:32:18 pm »

Nice photo of a beautiful lady!

How do you know they are obviously not steampunk? Is there a tell? Are they missing their requisite cog tattoo?  
I had the same question?

Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #812 on: December 31, 2013, 06:52:04 pm »

Good question, how do I know that? The simple answer is, in a lot of cases I'm familiar with the models and often the photographers. In a couple of cases I know them personally. But more tellingly still, I can usually spot a set up photoshoot with a model who's had her outfit specifically chosen for her an absolute mile off.

Truth to tell I don't actually have a problem with it (certainly not as much as I used to), and I'll admit in some cases the results can be very effective. But that said I do personally still prefer it when the model and tog in question, have at least some clue or involvement with what they're representing, rather than it being just another job for the portfolio.

Just a personal preference you understand, I do get that we've all got to make a living as well.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #813 on: December 31, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

My emphasis added.

How do you know they are obviously not steampunk? Is there a tell? Are they missing their requisite cog tattoo?  Wink

The easthetic has jumped genres long ago. Why quibble over who is and who isn't One Of Ustm?

>big grin from jump street<

You been lurking this whole time, boo? Cheesy

To answer your question, my old friend, some of us do not believe in Radical Inclusion...some of us work to keep the plebes out.
...In fact, I believe I sketched out a drawing some time ago of you and I doing JUST that sort of thing... Wink

You hitting SPWF this year?

...and P.S. come next weekend, I'm getting back into Regional...found a mestre here I like. Smiley PM me.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #814 on: December 31, 2013, 08:19:56 pm »

Wow! Shocked
Looks a lot like "Long Susan" from Ripper Street. Nice! Smiley

Personally I don't have a problem with 'skimpy outfits', after all quit a bit of female steampunk attire consists of under garments on outside (corsets etc.), and Steampunk isn't about recreating the Victorian - just inspired by it.

However I do agree there is a certain trend with some photographers, to try to turn Steampunk into "Glamour modeling" shoots....

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
CPT_J_Percell
Board Moderator
Zeppelin Captain
England England

The werewolf Airship Captain.

« Reply #815 on: December 31, 2013, 08:27:22 pm »

Wow! Shocked
Looks a lot like "Long Susan" from Ripper Street. Nice! Smiley

Personally I don't have a problem with 'skimpy outfits', after all quit a bit of female steampunk attire consists of under garments on outside (corsets etc.), and Steampunk isn't about recreating the Victorian - just inspired by it.

However I do agree there is a certain trend with some photographers, to try to turn Steampunk into "Glamour modeling" shoots....

SS

You know good sir that it has taken me ages to name who she looks like!
I would love to see her on the nose of a B52 laid on a bomb!

I suffer from a random misfiring synapse and a bad case of wolfen the turns me into a seven-foot-tall werewolf or a seven-foot great wolf!
https://dragon-rehoming-centre.myshopify.com/
http://purbry.wordpress.com
Arabella Periscope
Zeppelin Captain

Edwardian summer

« Reply #816 on: December 31, 2013, 10:48:12 pm »

Dear Gentlemen,

The photograph is, I think, an example of the best of Steampunk, and does not lay the genre open to easy criticism as may some images that pass through the shadowy nooks of a Fin de Seicle Parisian brothel and out into a grimy alleyway in an inner city today.  The model is not myself, it is Emma Caulfield for Clockwork Couture, from whom one can buy the outfit and spread the aesthetic far and wide. 

Now let's get to work on other aspects of the aesthetic, shall we?
Camellia Wingnut
Snr. Officer
United States Minor Outlying Islands United States Minor Outlying Islands

Take my camel, dear. . . .

« Reply #817 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:54 pm »

Suffice to say, be they Steampunk or not, skanty outfits are evidently here to stay. Personally speaking I can think of worse problems to deal with.
My Dears,
May I point out a Freudian slip? Scanty becomes Skanty, from which it is a short step to . . . Skanky, which means sleazy.
It remains to be seen whether it is being used as a term of approbation.
Affectionately,
Gt.-Aunt C.
P.S. I dare not post a daguerrotype of myself in Skanty attire: the riot police would have to be called out, and there is the unpleasantness of tear gas and so on.
P.P.S. A hint: Triangles of Brussels lace. Teacups strategically placed. Antimacassars deployed in the service of decency. A single hair comb tossed away. The glimpse of a truly spectacular ankle. . . .  The stuff of legend!

Take my camel, dear, said my aunt Camellia, climbing down from that animal on her return from high mass. The camel, a white Arabian Dhalur (single hump) from the famous herd of the Ruola tribe, had been a parting present, its saddle-bags stuffed with low-carat [sic] gold and flashy orient gems, from a rich desert tycoon. . . .
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #818 on: January 01, 2014, 12:09:33 am »

Dear Gentlemen,

The photograph is, I think, an example of the best of Steampunk, and does not lay the genre open to easy criticism as may some images that pass through the shadowy nooks of a Fin de Seicle Parisian brothel and out into a grimy alleyway in an inner city today.  The model is not myself, it is Emma Caulfield for Clockwork Couture, from whom one can buy the outfit and spread the aesthetic far and wide. 

Emma needs to shave...

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #819 on: January 01, 2014, 01:01:08 am »

Dear Gentlemen,

The photograph is, I think, an example of the best of Steampunk, and does not lay the genre open to easy criticism as may some images that pass through the shadowy nooks of a Fin de Seicle Parisian brothel and out into a grimy alleyway in an inner city today.  The model is not myself, it is Emma Caulfield for Clockwork Couture, from whom one can buy the outfit and spread the aesthetic far and wide.  

Ah yes Clockwork Couture, providing the occasional skimpy outfit to eager young models since 1868. As it's a small boutique business run by this lady...

I guess that shouldn't overly come as a shock. I would venture however that part of the current penchant for Steampunk skantiness could be as much attributed to them as Kato and Steampunk Couture. As I recall they've both rushed to each others defence when they've come under "easy criticism" from certain quarters in the past.

Still, as an aside, I'm still not sure about any etiquette surrounding the origin of pics in this thread. I think it's preferred by some that only pictures of forum members are posted, but obviously others do get shown occasionally.

And on that note, I saw a lot of professional portrait type shots posted on Facebook and generally around the net last year. I mean there have been every year, but last year there seemed to be a real glut of similarly themed work.

This one stood out as my personal favourite for a number of reasons. Don't have a lot of details about it I'm afraid, but I believe the model made the costume. I'm not personally going to be a big fat hypocrite and complain about skin on display. Honestly if you've got it, and you're happy to flaunt it knock yourself out I care not. But this picture is a classic example of how it's not always necessary to be showy to be pinup-y.

Oh and happy new year folks.  Smiley
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 01:06:28 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
grimnir
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Maker of fine Leathercrafts

« Reply #820 on: January 01, 2014, 01:26:41 am »

The only thing I want to add to the debate of the last few pages is this: Who are you to decide what is Steampunk? Live and let live. This thread is labeled NSFW because there's a few risque shots, and likely to be skin on display. It's not to say there HAS to be for a good pinup, but historically speaking you're more likely to get that than covered. I just don't see Steampunk being any one persons vision.

Maybe the skimpy black outfits do not have the aesthetic you think should be in SP. Well, maybe that person is just finding the genre and is not yet to your level of accessorising. Perhaps the photographer wanted to try a new genre but doesn't know much about it. Maybe giving them a chance or even a helpful word or so will make them want to explore the genre a little more? But just out and out saying 'This is not Steampunk' helps nobody.

Kindest regards, Raven

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #821 on: January 01, 2014, 02:13:55 am »

Dear Gentlemen,

Dear Arabella:  either the image you posted is of someone else, or perhaps Ms. Caulfield had a sex change...

Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #822 on: January 01, 2014, 04:22:47 am »

My emphasis added.

>big grin from jump street<

You been lurking this whole time, boo? Cheesy

To answer your question, my old friend, some of us do not believe in Radical Inclusion...some of us work to keep the plebes out.
...In fact, I believe I sketched out a drawing some time ago of you and I doing JUST that sort of thing... Wink

You hitting SPWF this year?

...and P.S. come next weekend, I'm getting back into Regional...found a mestre here I like. Smiley PM me.
I must not have left... I wandered back in here and found myself a Rogue Aether Lord.... Huh.

I was all for "Keeping the plebes out" until I realized that I may have become one myself in the process. I'm more into gentle reinforcement of of the Awesome People Social Contract than exclusion these days. I find that people that don't respect the contract leave on their own.
We're all in this together, why not make it more pleasant?

I haven't really had anything to say in a long time, and I was never really that steampunk or Steampunk despite what Time Tinker says. Wink

Oh, and I'm not in DC anymore. I am a leaf on the wind.

Good question, how do I know that? The simple answer is, in a lot of cases I'm familiar with the models and often the photographers. In a couple of cases I know them personally. But more tellingly still, I can usually spot a set up photoshoot with a model who's had her outfit specifically chosen for her an absolute mile off.

Truth to tell I don't actually have a problem with it (certainly not as much as I used to), and I'll admit in some cases the results can be very effective. But that said I do personally still prefer it when the model and tog in question, have at least some clue or involvement with what they're representing, rather than it being just another job for the portfolio.

Just a personal preference you understand, I do get that we've all got to make a living as well.

Fair enough, when you know them; but we didn't know that. Smiley

This all reminds me of a discussion from a few years back about the model with the Ferrero Rocher bustier. This thread is about enjoying the aesthetic of men and women in Steampunk outfits looking sexy. As far as I'm concerned, that's it. So why quibble?

Let us return to sexy people being sexy!!!
Fairley B. Strange
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Relax, I've done much dumber things and survived..

« Reply #823 on: January 01, 2014, 09:03:20 am »

Umm, isn't this "Pinups (nsfw)" ?
So, without casting dispersions on those in the "Dress-up" pages, here we should expect and permit a bit of glamour-SP beyond our daily sartorial efforts.

And if there is still any doubt whether the young lady is "really-SP"...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 09:05:04 am by Fairley B. Strange » Logged

Choose a code to live by, die by it if you have to.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #824 on: January 01, 2014, 10:52:22 pm »

Yes, that is it - glamour shots with a steampunk theme or steampunks looking glamorous (with lots of cover-up or little cover-up). 

Should there be a place here for gorgeous young ladies to parade as in the top shelf magazines?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: