The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 26, 2020, 11:00:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get Steampunk clothes when I have no money?  (Read 96874 times)
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #250 on: April 30, 2012, 02:21:25 am »

Might I suggest a spin off thread about the woes of being a time traveler?

As far as the original subject goes I got a ton of interesting fabric from estate sales and if you have any local theaters the ones around here have sales to sell off old outfits in the spring and you can find amazing stuff there. 

For those that make, in the UK at least, try market stalls for fabric. While some are rubbish, at my lcoal market on Saturday I was able to purchase some of the most gorgeous pure wool barathea I have ever had the fortune to meet. At £6 a metre my new frock coat, including facings, lining, canvas, trim, buttons etc, will cost me about £21.

I'm jealous thats a bargain; I'd be more jealous if i could actually sew

Those that are interested in cheap fabric suppliers, PM me. No commercial interest on my part, I hasten to mention. UK only, though.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
islomaniac
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #251 on: April 30, 2012, 03:39:19 am »

Sorry, made a mistake, posted in wrong thread.
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler
United States United States

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #252 on: April 30, 2012, 04:29:29 am »

That is ok I have done that before myself before

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #253 on: May 06, 2012, 01:58:55 pm »

FIND ANTIQUE VENDORS WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE!!!!!  Grin  (okay, you will have to spend a little money, but not much) 

I went to the antique store near my job at the Pet Store yesterday and found a number of items which either were undervalued or the seller had no idea what they were. Among them was an 1890 US Army Spiked Pith Helmet: $49 (listed as a "Summer Helmet," it lacked the front plate, but it still had the spike).  If I had more money I would have purchased it without question.  Since it was there a week ago, I'm holding out hope that I may yet pick it up.  Unless I manage to get the $250 for the Belgian pinfire revolver.......

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #254 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:11 pm »

FIND ANTIQUE VENDORS WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE!!!!!  Grin  (okay, you will have to spend a little money, but not much) 

I went to the antique store near my job at the Pet Store yesterday and found a number of items which either were undervalued or the seller had no idea what they were. Among them was an 1890 US Army Spiked Pith Helmet: $49 (listed as a "Summer Helmet," it lacked the front plate, but it still had the spike).  If I had more money I would have purchased it without question.  Since it was there a week ago, I'm holding out hope that I may yet pick it up.  Unless I manage to get the $250 for the Belgian pinfire revolver.......

I would suggest that $49 is quite a bit more than "no money," lol, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of seeking out antique or flea market dealers who don't really know what they have on their hands. Have amassed many marvelous things that way. Smiley

That being said, there are plenty of dealers who just mark things up to insane prices if they don't know what they have, "just in case." Oi.

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2012, 06:41:47 am »

FIND ANTIQUE VENDORS WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THEY HAVE!!!!!  Grin  (okay, you will have to spend a little money, but not much)  

I went to the antique store near my job at the Pet Store yesterday and found a number of items which either were undervalued or the seller had no idea what they were. Among them was an 1890 US Army Spiked Pith Helmet: $49 (listed as a "Summer Helmet," it lacked the front plate, but it still had the spike).  If I had more money I would have purchased it without question.  Since it was there a week ago, I'm holding out hope that I may yet pick it up.  Unless I manage to get the $250 for the Belgian pinfire revolver.......

I would suggest that $49 is quite a bit more than "no money," lol, but I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiment of seeking out antique or flea market dealers who don't really know what they have on their hands. Have amassed many marvelous things that way. Smiley

That being said, there are plenty of dealers who just mark things up to insane prices if they don't know what they have, "just in case." Oi.

($49 vs. $300 is no money in my book...of course I didn't have either...well...I did have $49 but I was hungry  Grin)  

German or German-looking stuff is where dealers will get you many times.  When Bulgarian helmets were cheaper you could often find $20-$30 helmets being listed as World War I German helmets and being sold for $100+.  (you still can)  They do have a similar silhouette, but the size is completely different.  Found a Spanish helmet once that as a Spanish helmet was worth a good bit, but the dealer had it marked as a German helmet and worst of all there was a horrible paint job and sticker Nazi insignia on it.  (the price would still have been okay....$150)  Would have bought it, but out of spite I wrote a polite note and stuck it in the stand.  
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2012, 10:52:28 am »

Unfortunately I suspect finding dealers who don't know what they have is going to get harder and harder, thanks to cable shows like Pawn Stars, and Antique Roadshow. Everyone going to assume that their old stuff is a valuable collectible, and price them accordingly.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 10:52:04 am by Herbert West » Logged

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #257 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »

Yes now you're sadly more likely to see people grossly overpricing things even though they dont know much about them

The one thing you can look out for, is people placing items in the wrong categorys on ebay; items that would normally go for highish amount sometimes go for pitance because theyve been mislabeled so to speak
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:13:50 pm by OswaldBastable » Logged

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
zilegil
Officer

« Reply #258 on: May 11, 2012, 08:59:47 pm »

Look in the attic!

I'm only 14. I mostly wear my antique tailcoat that was my father's when he was married over, quite blasphemously and in-authentically, over a black leather dinner jacket, that I bought at a market, rather than a waistcoat. It looks quite modern, but nontheless in a steamy way.

It's useful as I'm only a few stops away from Lincoln/Camden/Brighton and many, many, many army surpluses.

'Not enough' and 'dapper' is tautological in my opinion.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2012, 06:17:08 am »

Look in the attic!

I'm only 14. I mostly wear my antique tailcoat that was my father's when he was married over, quite blasphemously and in-authentically, over a black leather dinner jacket, that I bought at a market, rather than a waistcoat. It looks quite modern, but nontheless in a steamy way.

It's useful as I'm only a few stops away from Lincoln/Camden/Brighton and many, many, many army surpluses.

I have a freakishly purple dinner jacket I got for free from a club I used to play at and I did the same thing with it before I got more waistcoats.  (still may do it from time to time if the look calls for purple) 
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2012, 12:16:19 pm »

I do not understand why one must dress in a "steampunk" manner.

To get girls, duh.

Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that. Um, forget I said that, okay?

Does it work?

As a 20-something member of the feminine persuasion I can assure you it does. Especially if the gentleman in question is particularly attractive in some interesting fashion, or extremely creative and persuasive. If he lacks these qualities however it is about as effective as trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Insert random witty remark here
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2012, 12:46:53 pm »

To get girls, duh.

Does it work?

As a 20-something member of the feminine persuasion I can assure you it does. Especially if the gentleman in question is particularly attractive in some interesting fashion, or extremely creative and persuasive. If he lacks these qualities however it is about as effective as trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

"Putting lipstick on a pig" is another applicable cliche.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
dashboardpirate
Gunner

« Reply #262 on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:49 am »

Indeed, a toenail clipping is a toenail clipping and there's no way to make that any better than what it is.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:31:09 am by dashboardpirate » Logged
bmgillies
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Maker of Cool Stuff

« Reply #263 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:53 am »

Indeed, a toenail clipping is a toenail clipping and there's no way to make that any better than what it is.

You can electro-plate air-kraken poop...but it's still poop  Wink
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:25:58 am by bmgillies » Logged

"This is a sticky situation, Baldrick. Stickier than when Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun."
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

Never underestimate the power of a hairless monkey

« Reply #264 on: June 03, 2012, 04:07:39 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Collarless shirt from thrift store $4.00 (pulled off front pocket)

Red suspenders from another thrift store.$2.00

Levi's 501 blues(button fly) Thrift store. $6.00 (removed belt loops and replace them with jean buttons. Jean buttons cost me about $4.dollars. Bleached the pants then dyed them. Dye ran about $4.00)

Shoes from yet another thrift store. Good suede. $14.00

Rifle free for my "B"-day.

Hat I cheated on. $25.00 on  E-bay (including shipping & handling)

The goggles I made.(hard to figure value)

$4.00
   $2.00
   $6.00
   $4.00
   $4.00
   $14.00
+ $25.00
  $59.00 approximately.

Arvis

DAG-NABBIT...I cut it and cut it and cut it... an it's STILL TOO SHORT!
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #265 on: June 11, 2012, 08:08:06 am »

To get girls, duh.

Does it work?

Damn, I'm gonna have to get vulgar...I'd always understood "Making a silk purse out of a Sow's ear" as a metaphor for getting a lady sexually aroused.  Furry and dry hole becomes smooth and slippery hole and all...
>shrugs<
Apologies.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #266 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:03 am »

Hi Arvis,

And I have to say that the goggles are the best bit of your out fit - ignoring the male figure that is on the inside, that is.

Can I make a suggestion, as this is something I often notice about men's outfits.  Is it possible to get more creative about the clothing that goes on the lower limbs of the male of the species ?
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #267 on: June 15, 2012, 03:37:07 am »

Can I make a suggestion, as this is something I often notice about men's outfits.  Is it possible to get more creative about the clothing that goes on the lower limbs of the male of the species ?

Why certainly! We are only limited by our imaginations. Foot and leg-wear are  one of the upcoming projects I'll be working on in the near future. I intend to photograph every step of the way.(so to speak)

As far as this outfit goes, it was to fit a theme and is more of a work in progress. It is also a bit of a reflection of my personal tastes. That is, I try not to "over do" it. I was never a big fan of anime and over sized weapons and prosthetics are not my bag. I prefer devices that look "plausible" if not practical. Therefor my Steampunk outfits are somewhat subtle.

Arvis
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #268 on: June 15, 2012, 06:21:18 pm »

I suppose a steamy codpiece is out of the question?

Always on the run!
Arvis
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:37 pm »

Not at all! (just be well aware of where your gears mesh)  Shocked
Calvin Sinclair
Gunner

Oddities salesman, tinkerer, and general madman

« Reply #270 on: June 15, 2012, 07:22:51 pm »

Not at all! (just be well aware of where your gears mesh)  Shocked
ouchie!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Collarless shirt from thrift store $4.00 (pulled off front pocket)

Red suspenders from another thrift store.$2.00

Levi's 501 blues(button fly) Thrift store. $6.00 (removed belt loops and replace them with jean buttons. Jean buttons cost me about $4.dollars. Bleached the pants then dyed them. Dye ran about $4.00)

Shoes from yet another thrift store. Good suede. $14.00

Rifle free for my "B"-day.

Hat I cheated on. $25.00 on  E-bay (including shipping & handling)

The goggles I made.(hard to figure value)

$4.00
   $2.00
   $6.00
   $4.00
   $4.00
   $14.00
+ $25.00
  $59.00 approximately.

Arvis

And I have a similar kepi which I made from scratch: scrap fabric and leather I have never spent a dime on and the sewing supplies I inherited from my mother who inherited them from her mom....so free.  As it was the prototype, with the lessons learned, making it again, I have seen similar ones go for as much as $150. 
Pro. Millbore Grosling
Officer

« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:34 am »

A good way mite be to ask your grand parents or a goodwill store and there are a few mods you can do  to your cloths if you want Cheesy

Man of Science
zilegil
Officer

« Reply #273 on: August 10, 2012, 03:59:55 pm »

Clockwork Orange? Anyone?

Not really steampunk, but yeah.
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #274 on: August 10, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »

Hi Arvis,

And I have to say that the goggles are the best bit of your out fit - ignoring the male figure that is on the inside, that is.

Can I make a suggestion, as this is something I often notice about men's outfits.  Is it possible to get more creative about the clothing that goes on the lower limbs of the male of the species ?

It has been my observation that many gentlemen of the costuming persuasion get very timid about what goes below the waist, usually defaulting to simple straight trousers or baggy trousers, usually knee-length, regardless of the era they are trying to emulate, and the plainest of shoes or simple low boots.  This has become almost a historical uniform for all European periods from the Renaissance to the nineteenth century, even though nothing quite like them was ever actually worn.

I think gentlemen should give thought to their footwear.  Even a simple pair of riding boots can dress up an outfit amazingly.

In my opinion, more gentlemen ought to wear spats, or even better, gaiters, which in their simplest form are like spats that button up to the knee, but can also be magnificent like these museum pieces.  They are also an excellent way to emulate customized boots for those who cannot afford such an extravagance.

Jodhpurs are an interesting alternative to regular trousers and give a sort of adventurous RCMP/ pilot feel.  Just make sure the bulgy bits are well above the knee.

Black leather trousers, although not strictly Victorian, give an interesting edge to an otherwise conventional outfit.

If one is going to wear a codpiece (which to my mind is perhaps a touch outside of the Steampunk ethos), one might as well go the whole route and make some magnificent Landsknecht slashed hosen.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: