The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 09, 2020, 05:11:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get Steampunk clothes when I have no money?  (Read 94495 times)
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #225 on: March 06, 2012, 01:04:32 pm »

for glasses i got alot at a local whatnot store (one of those stores that sell random stuff from whatever time period and look vaguely like antique stores).
debehams at the moment have a whole range of different coloured cravats for £8.
alot of my waist coats and vests come from burton and were reasonably priced and some of my favourite waist coats come from primark and were a steal.
my high wing collared shits all come from debenhams aswell and weren't much more than regular white work shirts.
my black top hat was an accidental drunken theft i feel terrible about. a drunk guy slapped it on my head while i myself was inebriated and forgot i had it on when i got on the bus home. My grey tophat was another really cheap purchase at the whatnot store.
my long coats all come from topman and look the part but i have a couple from a vintage store that look fine and one from primark that looks ok aswell (though not as good)

I go the gentleman route so i have a small pair of brass welding goggles that i never wear and bought from a local garage for pretty much nothing, heretic i know but it's what i like to wear lol. though when i have my over shoulder canvas bag the goggles look the part no matter how smart i've dressed lol
Mister P
Gunner
England England

« Reply #226 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »

Went in to local store yesterday only to be totally blanked by the "salesman" in the menswear section. Guess that is another place to put on the never to enter list..
 Anyways, had a look at those cheap "cravats" - If you want clip on scrunch ties, they'd be OK.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #227 on: March 08, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »

Went in to local store yesterday only to be totally blanked by the "salesman" in the menswear section. Guess that is another place to put on the never to enter list..
 Anyways, had a look at those cheap "cravats" - If you want clip on scrunch ties, they'd be OK.

Translate for an American, please. Is being "blanked" being ignored (as in a "blank stare") or being smothered in attention (as in "blanketed")?

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Mister P
Gunner
England England

« Reply #228 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:00 pm »

]Translate for an American, please. Is being "blanked" being ignored (as in a "blank stare") or being smothered in attention (as in "blanketed")?

To look down one's nose at somebody, then turn to walk away.
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #229 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:40 pm »

well mister p , the topic at hand is steampunk on a budget  Grin to be honest they look pretty similar to a black non clip on silk cravat i paid £30 for.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:42:56 pm by GabrielCrimson » Logged
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #230 on: March 08, 2012, 01:46:39 pm »

]Translate for an American, please. Is being "blanked" being ignored (as in a "blank stare") or being smothered in attention (as in "blanketed")?

To look down one's nose at somebody, then turn to walk away.

Ah. That is what I do to either pushy or supercilious salespersons. They often need to be reminded that, in this context, I as the customer outrank them.
GabrielCrimson
Zeppelin Captain

Algernon Drakenbelly II

« Reply #231 on: March 08, 2012, 01:49:58 pm »

i assume it was just the one sales person. I've never had a problem at Debehams, they're always perfectly willing to take my measurements and give advice. every store has that one employee that is a bit of a so and so i guess.
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #232 on: March 30, 2012, 03:01:36 am »

Just invent a time machine. Go back in time to 1898 and place £1 in a high interest deposit account with Coutts & co. Come back to 2025 (my own time period) and extract the cash with the accrued interest. Convert the cash to gold, take the gold back to 1898 and purchase the original high quality clothing, shoes and the like. I recommend Ducker and son for the brogues. Mr. Ducker is just as grumpy as his sons but his shoes are very fine. They are also significantly cheaper in 1898.

What could be easier? Next question please.

Steampunk Widgets and Icons of Some Worldwide Repute
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #233 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:38 pm »

Just invent a time machine. Go back in time to 1898 and place £1 in a high interest deposit account with Coutts & co. Come back to 2025 (my own time period) and extract the cash with the accrued interest. Convert the cash to gold, take the gold back to 1898 and purchase the original high quality clothing, shoes and the like. I recommend Ducker and son for the brogues. Mr. Ducker is just as grumpy as his sons but his shoes are very fine. They are also significantly cheaper in 1898.

There is a serious flaw.  You would need to acquire currency from the time period or they would either not recognize it or believe it be counterfeit and then you'd end up in prison.   

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #234 on: March 31, 2012, 11:42:51 pm »

There is a serious flaw.  You would need to acquire currency from the time period or they would either not recognize it or believe it be counterfeit and then you'd end up in prison.   

Small amounts are easily acquired from collectors. Besides, bank notes from the era are childishly simple to counterfeit using modern comuters and printers.. Grin

Hmmm, might need to make a couple some day as emergency funds in case of time-travel emergency. Maybe add some apporpriate travel documents as well.. Kind of like the suitcase full of money/documents from the Bourne Identity, only for different historical periods.. http://www.indyprops.com/pp-bournepass.htm

D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2012, 11:57:02 pm »

I guess I shall travel back in time now to see what I can get with 10 rubles in 1909 and about $2.50 in the late 1800's.   Grin
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #236 on: April 01, 2012, 02:58:22 am »

I guess I shall travel back in time now to see what I can get with 10 rubles in 1909 and about $2.50 in the late 1800's.   Grin

I'd say a full wardrobe, or close to it. More than one outfit at least.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #237 on: April 07, 2012, 02:29:32 am »

I already have some gold that I could convert, I also have a stock of florins, shillings and pennies from the period, a bit worn but they'll do at a pinch. The money isn't the issue, the problem at the moment is the time machine, I just don't have the time to create it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:39:44 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #238 on: April 07, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »

Anyone any good at Compound interest calculation? How much would we need to deposit, the minimum required for a decent outfit of clothes and brogues. I want to see how much I can get for my 7/6 (That's 37.5p for the uninitiated). Let's say we go back to 1822 when coutts acquired its current name.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 03:47:20 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #239 on: April 29, 2012, 02:09:46 pm »

If anyone requires some ready cash and your time machine only goes back so far in time then you may find this useful. This will stand you in good stead at around 1919. You can then get yourself a better time machine with the proceeds

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you go to the actual location here:

http://lightquick.co.uk/images/stories/tenshillings.jpg

You can see it in full size. Download, use your very best laser printer and you should be able to knock off a decent copy, paper may be a problem though.

Professor Otto will knock you up some white 'fivers' for the equivalent amount of modern notes.

http://professorotto.livejournal.com/
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 02:18:12 pm by yereverluvinunclebert » Logged
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #240 on: April 29, 2012, 02:22:33 pm »

Creating fake currency of the time period would not be a huge problem....but then one needs to consider the smell and feel of "real" vs. "fake."  Some of our countries have been coming out with newer currency that many times I have to do a double take on because it just does not feel "real."  And don't even get me started on the looks. 
yereverluvinunclebert
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #241 on: April 29, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »

The US takes a different view on counterfeiting. The penalties are so severe that they dissuade anyone from doing it. Over here we try to make it as complex as possible. Plastic notes are in evidence in some of the colonies but they are yet to come over here. Don't relish that, I love the look and feel of paper.
josecou
Snr. Officer

« Reply #242 on: April 29, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »

Maybe we should get back to the original topic.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #243 on: April 29, 2012, 11:30:44 pm »

Maybe we should get back to the original topic.

We still are, it just requires a time machine to keep it there. 
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

Looking for a few good lobsters.

« Reply #244 on: April 29, 2012, 11:40:14 pm »

Might I suggest a spin off thread about the woes of being a time traveler?

As far as the original subject goes I got a ton of interesting fabric from estate sales and if you have any local theaters the ones around here have sales to sell off old outfits in the spring and you can find amazing stuff there. 

I have a picture blog thinger now
http://stella-gaslight.tumblr.com/

Look for me on Etsy
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ByGaslight
Unsubtle Pete
Snr. Officer
England England

Discerning Scoundrel.

« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2012, 11:58:53 pm »

As far as the original subject goes I got a ton of interesting fabric from estate sales and if you have any local theaters the ones around here have sales to sell off old outfits in the spring and you can find amazing stuff there. 

For those that make, in the UK at least, try market stalls for fabric. While some are rubbish, at my lcoal market on Saturday I was able to purchase some of the most gorgeous pure wool barathea I have ever had the fortune to meet. At £6 a metre my new frock coat, including facings, lining, canvas, trim, buttons etc, will cost me about £21.

With his stovepipe hat and his drainpipe trousers he was a credit to his ironmonger.

NEW Discerning Scoundrel blog
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #246 on: April 30, 2012, 12:22:53 am »

For those that make, in the UK at least, try market stalls for fabric. While some are rubbish, at my lcoal market on Saturday I was able to purchase some of the most gorgeous pure wool barathea I have ever had the fortune to meet. At £6 a metre my new frock coat, including facings, lining, canvas, trim, buttons etc, will cost me about £21.

I'm jealous thats a bargain; I'd be more jealous if i could actually sew

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #247 on: April 30, 2012, 12:30:26 am »

Never underestimate the power of barter when it comes to skills.  I have traded my sewing for a friends drawing skills a few times.  Everyone has something they are good at and that is worth something.
islomaniac
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #248 on: April 30, 2012, 01:28:38 am »

Hello I came across your beautiful steampunk icons, which I have downloaded. The best icon set I have foundand I left a glowing testimonial.

However I have a problem, I'm running Windows 7, how can I run this as a THEME, so that it's not just the desktop but I can get rid of the crappy Windows theme? I love calligraphy and antique typography and its so annoying having to look at crappy modern artwork every time I am on my computer.

I'd also like to replace the windows taskbar with a wooden them, I came across a really nice one, but the download link was broken. I downloaded Rocketdock, but doesn't look the same as the one I want. How can I get my desktop to look like your image below?

http://lightquick.co.uk/images/stories/steampunk-desktop.jpg

I have some great victorian imagery, diaries, letterpress art, typography etc. I can email them if you like.

Stella Gaslight
Time Traveler

« Reply #249 on: April 30, 2012, 01:46:32 am »

Hi are you sure this is the thread you ment to reply to?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: