The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2020, 08:54:07 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do I get Steampunk clothes when I have no money?  (Read 96825 times)
RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #200 on: January 30, 2012, 04:00:39 am »

an combat boots are cheap the old fashioned black oned
Peacemaker
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:21 am »

Don't forget birthdays and Christmas! I bet any parent would be happy their kid asked for clothes instead of an xbox.  Tongue
rebecca.elizabeth93
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Welcome To The Asylum.

« Reply #202 on: February 06, 2012, 11:11:27 pm »

I do not understand why one must dress in a "steampunk" manner.

To get girls, duh.

Oh, wait, I wasn't supposed to say that. Um, forget I said that, okay?

Does it work?

Yes. Yes it does! Nothing beats a guy with a top hat and ray gun Wink

A woman may very well form a friendship with a man, but for this to endure, it must be assisted by a little physical antipathy.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Evelyn Adler
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lady of Dorkness

« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2012, 11:17:16 pm »

To get girls, duh.

Does it work?

I second that!
But let's not forget: it's not the size of the ray gun that counts, but how he handles it!  Grin

Be daring, be different, be impractical, be anything that will assert integrity of purpose and imaginative vision against the play-it-safers, the creatures of the commonplace, the slaves of the ordinary. (Cecil Beaton)
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #204 on: February 07, 2012, 01:04:44 am »

To get girls, duh.

Does it work?

I second that!
But let's not forget: it's not the size of the ray gun that counts, but how he handles it!  Grin

And chicks dig the goggles.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
CaptainMurra
Gunner
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #205 on: February 07, 2012, 03:53:06 am »

agreed. i like a man with a gun and goggles! but they have to be cool goggles!

Give thy thoughts no tongue - William Shakespeare
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Captain

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #206 on: February 07, 2012, 06:03:04 am »

You know, the socially active DC Metro Area Steampunk gents almost never do the goggles thing...and I think there's only one raygunner amongst us!

I reckon we still do alright with the ladies, though...there's a lot to be said for just being eccentric, polite, and well-dressed.  Smiley

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #207 on: February 07, 2012, 11:01:55 pm »

You know, the socially active DC Metro Area Steampunk gents almost never do the goggles thing...and I think there's only one raygunner amongst us!

I reckon we still do alright with the ladies, though...there's a lot to be said for just being eccentric, polite, and well-dressed.  Smiley

Truthfully, I have been evolving away from the goggles myself. I used to joke that I needed them to differentiate between when I am "dressed up" and when I am just dressed, but now I simply turn my everyday clothes up to eleven for an event (and clip on a set of jewelers loupe lenses to my glasses). I have never felt the need to carry a toy gun.
Peacemaker
« Reply #208 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:11 am »

I reckon we still do alright with the ladies, though...there's a lot to be said for just being eccentric, polite, and well-dressed.  Smiley

Truthfully, I have been evolving away from the goggles myself. I used to joke that I needed them to differentiate between when I am "dressed up" and when I am just dressed, but now I simply turn my everyday clothes up to eleven for an event (and clip on a set of jewelers loupe lenses to my glasses). I have never felt the need to carry a toy gun.

I second this, I never understood the fascination with the toy guns. I'd much rather steampunk a real gun and carry that instead (I love the second amendment lol ) as for the goggles, unless I'm welding, soldering, cutting metal or wood I would never wear them. It's not practical for me since I already wear glasses so I'm planning on turning a vintage pair of aviator glasses into everyday prescription glasses. Sort of like the kind Dr. Steel has.

Fit, form and function is my motto but to each their own. It's all fun to look at non the less.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 12:19:39 am by Peacemaker » Logged
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #209 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »

Some do not have anything like the second amendment to back them up and thus need to rely on 'toy' guns, do not forget that Wink

Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2012, 03:51:10 am »

And some of us don't actually feel comfortable carrying around a lethal weapon, yeah?

'Invoked or not, the gods will be present.'

-The Oracle of Delphi
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2012, 09:48:24 am »

Of course, that is not to be forgotten. People differ in their 'martial-ness', but to talk down 'toy' guns for a reason that is non-exisitent for the majority of the world seems a bit crass to me.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2012, 12:13:44 pm »

On my. Did I accidentally start something?

The Dr is an academic, and as such carries scientific instruments and cameras. The character has no need for weaponry beyond a wrist-mounted crossbow which shoots tranquilizeer darts.

While I appreciate that other's characterizations require a modified Maverick hand-cannon, I repeat that I feel no need to carry such.
Kieranfoy
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Cthulhu ftaghn!

« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2012, 08:18:25 pm »

Well, some of us do feel that our masculinity is enhanced by an gigantic handgun.

And, frankly, handguns are one easy way to easily steam an outfit.

A pair of BDU's, long green coat, tea-died shirt? Normal wear! Add a steampunk pistol (real or fake, to your preference), and voila! Steampunk airship pirate!
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2012, 10:51:57 pm »

Ah flea markets and thrift stores are a cosplayers friend. I'm at Savers and Goodwill so much they know my name!  Wink

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

Steampunk/Neo-Victorian Clothiers

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2012, 10:57:05 pm »

Not sure if this has been mentioned as of yet, but you could do as Samara and I did and start making our own.. its grown into a very successful business and we get to work from home and look great whilst doing it!

CaptainMurra
Gunner
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #216 on: February 12, 2012, 02:48:24 am »

I reckon we still do alright with the ladies, though...there's a lot to be said for just being eccentric, polite, and well-dressed.  Smiley

I second this, I never understood the fascination with the toy guns. I'd much rather steampunk a real gun and carry that instead (I love the second amendment lol ) as for the goggles, unless I'm welding, soldering, cutting metal or wood I would never wear them. It's not practical for me since I already wear glasses so I'm planning on turning a vintage pair of aviator glasses into everyday prescription glasses. Sort of like the kind Dr. Steel has.

Fit, form and function is my motto but to each their own. It's all fun to look at non the less.

sorry to but in on this conversation, but a defender of goggles such as myself would like to point out htat you don't need to WEAR the goggles, just place them on your hat or around your neck?
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #217 on: February 12, 2012, 03:04:36 am »

sorry to but in on this conversation, but a defender of goggles such as myself would like to point out htat you don't need to WEAR the goggles, just place them on your hat or around your neck?

I agree that you could, but why would you?
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #218 on: February 12, 2012, 04:13:27 am »

I agree that you could, but why would you?

I've been searching for a practical pair of steampunk sunglasses, but I've had so little luck I'm about to just declare my mirrored aviators to be steampunk and leave it at that.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #219 on: February 12, 2012, 04:39:47 am »

LOL i love my mirrored Aviators! i aways feel they look more mad max when im in my top coat but meh! i like thenm, But i wil also defend the goggles, I love my goggles as well and with functional lenses they make great sunglasses!
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #220 on: February 12, 2012, 04:47:43 am »

LOL i love my mirrored Aviators! i aways feel they look more mad max when im in my top coat but meh! i like thenm, But i wil also defend the goggles, I love my goggles as well and with functional lenses they make great sunglasses!

I don't mind goggles in theory, but the fact of the matter is that for daily use sunglasses just end up being more practical for me. And besides, if I wore aviators with a top hat and frock coat, I think people would still get the point! Grin
TheCogsbanes
Deck Hand

TheCogsbanes
« Reply #221 on: February 12, 2012, 04:49:47 am »

HAH, yeah. I ahve had people look at me like im the unibomber in my aviators and my topcoat but it could be my mutton chops . Smiley
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #222 on: February 12, 2012, 04:51:19 am »

My freshman year of college I had a bad tendency of walking around campus in the evenings in a hoodie and aviators. Suffice it to say I bothered some people.
CaptainMurra
Gunner
Australia Australia

why hello there!

« Reply #223 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:57 am »

My freshman year of college I had a bad tendency of walking around campus in the evenings in a hoodie and aviators. Suffice it to say I bothered some people.

becoming a freshman this year......... excellent!
i shall use that!
Captain Marcus Stahlsturm
Gunner
England England

Scoundrel, rascal, pirate captain and philosopher

« Reply #224 on: February 27, 2012, 10:50:54 pm »

I wear glasses but I also love goggles and i dont find it impractical. I just wear the goggles on my head rather than my eyes.  My goggles are the exact same as what Mary Elizabeth Winstead wore in Scott Pilgrim. Thats not particularly steampunk in itself but they really help bring an outfit together.

"zombies Cap'n, thousands of 'em!"
"How many thousands, matey?"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: