The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 14, 2018, 10:00:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 8 door "slide iris"  (Read 22489 times)
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 12:42:58 pm »

Thanks, Robo, for your direct message.  Unfortunately I cannot reply back to you personally with an email since I am a new member and this forum has not given me the rights!  As an admin, can you assist?

incommunicado,

DrJames

Well that is a problem since I am not actually an admin (where did you get that idea?).

I usually upload stuff to photobucket for download, but it wont except DXF files (or any other CAD format). Anybody have a solution?

You could try emailing me direct at msgprinter@gmail.com and i could send the files directly back to you.

Meanwhile the original iris has gone to Adelaide for my brother and 2 year old nephew to play with

I don't know what he intends to do with it, but I did hear "beer hatch" been mentioned.

The Inventor
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Cascadia now and forever

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2011, 08:07:44 am »

I want to make that as the Vent for my computer case !

That is sooo cool.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 01:45:36 am »

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?a=7098

Oh Bugger, this guy is going to patent it
DrJames
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2011, 07:21:39 pm »

Thanks, Robo, for your direct message.  Unfortunately I cannot reply back to you personally with an email since I am a new member and this forum has not given me the rights!  As an admin, can you assist?

incommunicado,

DrJames

Forum member Shoeshine originally started this thread on the Shopbot forum about his 4 door iris

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?t=795&page=9

Another forum member proposed this design and I thought it was interesting enough to attempt and make work.

and a video of it working

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/msgprinter/?action=view&current=8doorslide.mp4

architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2011, 02:30:26 am »

I am actually getting more interested in this idea, for maybe a steampunk HAL9000 design. I have a number of fish eye lenses that are ofcourse not the right size for an official 2001 movie reproduction of the HAL9000 plate. and I also have a green 4300 lumen LED that would at lower power use be perfect for a green HAL eye.

one thing I am wondering about is if anyone has thought about making the sliding door pieces with a groove on one side and a tab on the other to make it interlocking so that it would actually hold pressure like a door for a starship. this might even be a good reason for having rivets around the pieces with a small frame of metal

kinda like this:

(sorry the lighting did not allow for it but the inside of it is actually raised so it is sort of like a three layer cake.)

architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 03:11:08 pm »

whoops I meant that the center is depressed and the outer lighter area is raised so it should have had a shadow on the back of it to show it was kinda like a 3 layer cake Cheesy
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:05 am »

I am actually getting more interested in this idea, for maybe a steampunk HAL9000 design. I have a number of fish eye lenses that are ofcourse not the right size for an official 2001 movie reproduction of the HAL9000 plate. and I also have a green 4300 lumen LED that would at lower power use be perfect for a green HAL eye.

one thing I am wondering about is if anyone has thought about making the sliding door pieces with a groove on one side and a tab on the other to make it interlocking so that it would actually hold pressure like a door for a starship. this might even be a good reason for having rivets around the pieces with a small frame of metal

Its a nice idea, but I don't think it will work. The shutters slide against each other. Having an edge at different angle will jam the mechanism. See the diagram below

The red line represents the internal edge which overlap each other when the shutters are in the open position.
A better option might be for the angle to be parallel to the shutter angle.

Taking an idea from another thread about irises(irii?) a rebated edge with a router bit could work well

Like the Hal9000 idea
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2011, 06:01:03 pm »

hmmm. so to make the door air tight it will probably have to have much larger slides and a smaller aperture, so there is plenty of the slides back in between the the two retainer plates. (and rubber seals on the edges that press together or something like that)
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:45 am »

hmmm. so to make the door air tight it will probably have to have much larger slides and a smaller aperture, so there is plenty of the slides back in between the the two retainer plates. (and rubber seals on the edges that press together or something like that)

I don't think larger slides/tracks would be necessary. Maybe a slight increase but nothing extreme.

Rubber seals on the edges could be a problem since they would create too much friction for operation. Maybe engineering nylon for the sides/channels of the shutters?

Making this particular iris "air tight" would seem to have a lot of problems. All the surfaces slide against each other and require a certain "looseness".
Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 06:46:09 am »

http://www.getwoodworking.com/news/article.asp?a=7098

Oh Bugger, this guy is going to patent it

Ok, sorry for being slightly off topic but clicking on your link I saw a movie showing that drink cabinet iris thing, which pointed to this movie at the end.... Did anyone on the forum here make that thing?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To Steampunk or not to Steampunk, that's the question...
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2011, 02:51:22 pm »

Ok, sorry for being slightly off topic but clicking on your link I saw a movie showing that drink cabinet iris thing, which pointed to this movie at the end.... Did anyone on the forum here make that thing?

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15364.25.html

Go to the bottom of the page
Wirecase
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 07:56:11 am »

ah, missed that one... I've only been a member here since late april this year... I am trying to catch up tho, so many wonderfull things are being posted here! Cheesy
architect
Zeppelin Captain

...ò.δ...

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2011, 03:18:12 am »

robo

any chance I could get that PDF or DXF of the 5 door iris you mentioned giving a PM on
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15364.25.html ??
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 04:29:42 am »

robo

any chance I could get that PDF or DXF of the 5 door iris you mentioned giving a PM on

Yeah sure, I just assumed everyone was using Shoeshine's version.

I will try to PM you with an email address
justjoe
Swab

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2013, 07:58:32 pm »

Hi -- Because of these posts I build a 2 foot aperture 8 door "slide iris" out of plywood.  You can see the details and actions at http://joeinmadison.com/iris/iris.htm  Enjoy!
justjoe
Swab

« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2013, 09:42:31 pm »

Here is a picture of the iris.  I can't find the MODIFY button.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2013, 10:57:02 pm »

That is fantastic justjoe. I really like the development of the shutters to a "diamond" pattern. It reduces the space needed for the mechanism around the aperture.
Stacy
Officer
Australia Australia

Played the crooked cross and got the boat.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 11:18:04 pm »

Outstanding.

Maets
Immortal

Gravatar

Airship Builder

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2013, 01:41:29 am »

Nice!

oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 08:12:26 am »

Iris valves are used commercially.  Here's a nice 6-sided one in which the leaves do not overlap.
Egger Iris® Diaphragm Control Valve (English) - www.eggerpumps.com

This would make a great door design.

You'd need half the opening height available on all sides, so designing it into a building would require work on the floors above and below.  No one seems to have designed this into a luxury office building yet.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 10:53:04 pm »

Iris valves are used commercially.  Here's a nice 6-sided one in which the leaves do not overlap.
Egger Iris® Diaphragm Control Valve (English) - [url=http://www.eggerpumps.com]www.eggerpumps.com[/url]
This would make a great door design.

You'd need half the opening height available on all sides, so designing it into a building would require work on the floors above and below.  No one seems to have designed this into a luxury office building yet.

And here I thought I was doing something original. It just shows there is nothing truly new.
oldskoolpunk
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 11:21:31 pm »

And here I thought I was doing something original. It just shows there is nothing truly new.
There are new things all the time. Rigid part mechanism design, though, has a long history. There are books of "mechanical motions", and they're worth reading for ideas.

The 6-sided form of that has door potential. Curved blade irises don't yield a good door threshold; you need a bridge, as with round bank vault doors.  More than 6 sides, and the threshold is too narrow. But the hexagonal form provides a usable door opening.
PatronZero
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2013, 02:18:52 pm »

..... Rubber seals on the edges could be a problem since they would create too much friction for operation. Maybe engineering nylon for the sides/channels of the shutters? .....

Mind just a shot in the dark but what about silicone material similar to such used in gaskets or other like applications ?   It is much more 'slick' than rubber or other commonly used cast sealants.

http://www.gasketsinc.com/index.php
Narsil
Immortal
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2013, 03:04:23 pm »

Often variable apertures in valves etc aren't designed to be completely sealed when closed, instead having a separate on/off valve in line with the regulator if a complete seal is required. For example gas bottles almost always have a shut off valve fitted to the neck of the cylinder used to seal it and a separate regulator used to control the output pressure/flowrate.

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: