The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 13, 2020, 02:52:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 2)  (Read 312464 times)
IanBrettCooper
Deck Hand

Ayup!

« Reply #325 on: July 30, 2010, 05:14:40 am »

I love kilts Cheesy Don't know for the life of me why more men don't wear them Huh

I love kilts. So far I only have one of those Utilikilt things, but one day I intend to get me a proper tartan one. I've only ever had positive reactions from people when I wear mine, so I agree - more men should wear them. Sadly, it takes too much courage for most guys - fear of ridicule, though baseless, is a powerful disincentive for many people. But there's no more manly piece of clothing than a kilt. Trousers are for wimps!

Tha can tak me aht o' Yorkshire, but tha can't tak 't Yorkshire aht o' me.
Prof. M. F. Sanders, Esq.
Deck Hand
United States United States

« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2010, 06:51:58 am »

Well, living in the states I own two utilikilts which I love dearly. The one in the picture I picked up whilst getting my degree at Cardiff University.
Sam Watson
Snr. Officer

Steampunk Cowboy

« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »

I have seven kilts, and for four years did not wear trousers at all, not even while backpacking thousands of miles for months at a time (Appalachian Trail, Pacific Crest Trail). I still pull them out occasionally, but time and food have conspired to make them ill-fitting around my midsection.... After a diet, perhaps I shall start wearing them more often again.

Samuel Xavier Watson
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2010, 04:09:47 pm »

while we're on the topic

here's a shot of me in my kilt at Pennsic war many years gone by

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Deck Hand

« Reply #329 on: July 30, 2010, 04:31:53 pm »

Ah, very nicely done, gentlemen! Cool It warms my heart to see so many fine lads wearing some proper attire  Wink

As for the hiking... I really don't wear anything other then a kilt anymore whilst backpacking, going on adventures, or preforming research.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #330 on: July 30, 2010, 04:41:56 pm »

while we're on the topic

There's an old Scottish saying regarding kilt wearing that I think applies here..:

"If you're going to dress like a man you have to learn to sit like a lady"

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #331 on: July 30, 2010, 05:15:29 pm »

I have many costumes depending on the event...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To show just a few.

What really matters is what you do with what you have. - H. G. Wells
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #332 on: July 30, 2010, 05:25:58 pm »

while we're on the topic

There's an old Scottish saying regarding kilt wearing that I think applies here..:

"If you're going to dress like a man you have to learn to sit like a lady"

Obviously you've never been to Pennsic War, my good man.  Advertisement is the point  Grin
garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #333 on: July 30, 2010, 06:21:49 pm »

Ah, very nicely done, gentlemen! Cool It warms my heart to see so many fine lads wearing some proper attire  Wink

You'll actually see quite a few kilted steampunks here. Here's the link to the kilt thread (you could add your pics there too if you like). This is always a good thread to revive.  Wink
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5669.0

G is for gorgeous
E is for exciting
O is for odd (in the best possible way!)
R is for remarkable
G is for gentle
I is for intelligent
A is for awesome
Vampyroteuthis Infernalis
Snr. Officer

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

« Reply #334 on: July 31, 2010, 04:23:58 am »

Here are some photographic evidence that I do in fact exist in the physical plane.
Found while drifting through the interwebthingy.
All but one is from the recent LOJ ball, with one from Comic Con.
I have more in the camera, but that's for later.

the not the one with the handle bar moustache
V.I.

Look!   Up in the sky!  It's a bird!  It's a plane!  It's...a Zeppelin?

Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #335 on: July 31, 2010, 01:20:41 pm »

Marvellous pictures as always VI! You look very distinguished, a wise man of the world. Excellent stuff

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
Jonny B. Goode
Snr. Officer

The Gentleman Soldier

« Reply #336 on: August 01, 2010, 05:21:08 am »

New Toy Soldier uniform, loosely based on a zeppelin command officer's uniform, inspired by Sky Captain.

Shown here at the Comic Con steampunk after-party, with a gentlemen who's name I only got as "Commodore." We thought we should have a photo of the military presence at the party. (I'm on the right.)

Sky Marshal Jonathan Baines "Jonny B." Goode, F.O.S.S.L.
"The Gentleman Soldier"™
Commander, Air Corps Elite for Steel (A.C.E.S.)
Flagship: Hyperion Class I.S.S. Runcible
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #337 on: August 01, 2010, 02:17:17 pm »

SILENT BOOOB!!! <3

DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2010, 02:29:41 pm »

woah, I was just about to comment on that myself... although I'm pretty sure it's Bob, not boob xD

IanBrettCooper
Deck Hand

Ayup!

« Reply #339 on: August 01, 2010, 03:03:50 pm »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I feel the need to wax philosophical for a moment.

Are we really 'playing dress up'? The thread title seems so... I don't know, juvenile?

I see what we do as an expression, in costume, of who we feel we truly are. To call it 'playing dress up' seems a bit insulting. I prefer to see it as what re-enactors call an 'impression'. To me, the word conveys what we're doing when we dress Steampunk far better than any other word. My Victorian clothes cost as much as a regular suit - perhaps more, and as such they are some of my best clothes. If I wear a regular suit I'm not 'playing dress up' - I'm dressing to impress. I think it's the same when I dress in my Victorian or Edwardian clothes, or my Steampunk or Dieselpunk outfits.

Thoughts?
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #340 on: August 01, 2010, 03:25:55 pm »

woah, I was just about to comment on that myself... although I'm pretty sure it's Bob, not boob xD

sorry xander for stealing your comment!

and, yes, i know it's bob not booob. i just tried to express my... mood about this picture... or whatever
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #341 on: August 01, 2010, 03:35:35 pm »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I feel the need to wax philosophical for a moment.

Are we really 'playing dress up'? The thread title seems so... I don't know, juvenile?

I see what we do as an expression, in costume, of who we feel we truly are. To call it 'playing dress up' seems a bit insulting. I prefer to see it as what re-enactors call an 'impression'. To me, the word conveys what we're doing when we dress Steampunk far better than any other word. My Victorian clothes cost as much as a regular suit - perhaps more, and as such they are some of my best clothes. If I wear a regular suit I'm not 'playing dress up' - I'm dressing to impress. I think it's the same when I dress in my Victorian or Edwardian clothes, or my Steampunk or Dieselpunk outfits.

Thoughts?

I don't see it as dressing up either, some days I choose a suit, others I choose shorts and trainers. depends on how I feel like dressing... I've been that way for 10 years now...

but I think this thread's just got a light hearted title, is all
jringling
Time Traveler

convicted Rogue and Vagabond…long story…

« Reply #342 on: August 01, 2010, 03:40:15 pm »

Thoughts?

In keeping with the "lighter side" of steampunk, this thread is for pictures of people playing "dress-up"... going to parties, cons, festivals, or just for fun. If you enjoy "dressing up", take some pictures and post them! I think there are other threads for various pictures... maybe start a "pictures for re-enactors" thread for the more serious clothing...

Oh, and the clothes available for our Renn Faire outings usually cost WAY MORE than regular clothes, so we try to make our own... Grin

garingling
Zeppelin Captain

Smile, let them think you're up to something.

« Reply #343 on: August 01, 2010, 05:57:51 pm »

Thoughts?

In keeping with the "lighter side" of steampunk, this thread is for pictures of people playing "dress-up"... going to parties, cons, festivals, or just for fun. If you enjoy "dressing up", take some pictures and post them! I think there are other threads for various pictures... maybe start a "pictures for re-enactors" thread for the more serious clothing...

Oh, and the clothes available for our Renn Faire outings usually cost WAY MORE than regular clothes, so we try to make our own... Grin

NO, he means we do make our own and they are still expensive...try buying yards and yards of velvet or silk upholstery fabric for those, LOL!

I concur with Jringling this would make a good independent thread. Not to be rude to you IanBrettCooper because I understand what you mean, but this would be better off as it's own thread. There's a lot of room for debate and it could easily over power the picture thread which is what this is.
Deck Hand

« Reply #344 on: August 01, 2010, 08:46:44 pm »

To IanBrettCooper,

Dear Sir,
I as well believe that the title of the thread is just meant as a lighthearted frivolity, as opposed to any form of a disparage to our interests or intent. As we have seen over the past 14 pages the purpose, intent, tone and agency for dressing as many of us are wont runs the gamete from fancy dress socials to work to personal retroactive-impressionism in modernity. When I lecture (either deliver or attend) I frequently dress as the photographs presented attest with joy, dignity and the full knowledge that I'm at a displacement from the modern cultural norm. This knowledge in no wise subtracts from either the impression made or the intent delivered.

So, I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I do it foe work, for fun, and for everything in between Wink

Your dutiful servant,
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #345 on: August 01, 2010, 08:50:12 pm »

Ok, as much as this is a valid discussion, it is in danger of derailing the thread, so can it be taken to its own thread if necessary?  Wink
Oneiros
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Lord of Glancairn

« Reply #346 on: August 01, 2010, 10:51:02 pm »

"... "  Grin
Caspar_Byron
Gunner

The voice of guilt and reason.

thewetglassro
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2010, 03:08:51 am »

RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2010, 06:37:44 pm »

Abi and I on the way to the Sizzler on Sat

Geoff of the blind faith
Deck Hand

when in doubt, it can be blown up or taken apart

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2010, 06:45:06 pm »

Me and my other half Dressing to the occasion on the steampunk day of Comic Con

Did you hear, they are saying absinthe is bad for you now!? Ha! what an imagination the press have in these days...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: