The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2019, 10:55:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 2)  (Read 299690 times)
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2300 on: February 16, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

I can't wait to see this hippy cowboy. We Southerners do indeed have our own style. Unfortunately I'm drawing a blank as to how one can make a backwoods farmer steampunk. Hmm.

Backwoods farmer sounds almost intrinsically steampunk to me, and you get to legitimately wear denim!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh and even cardigans if you wish, check out this fine piece of knitwear on Billy the Kid.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:09:28 am by Argus Fairbrass » Logged

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2301 on: February 16, 2012, 09:46:45 am »

Well, that makes sense.  And the truth is myself even when it's 115 degrees y'all see me out there in my bib-front, jeans, boots, knee-high socks, gus-crown hat and perhaps a kerchief at my neck.  And somehow I'm not dying of heat either.  Also, that desert gear jacket your sporting there is a fine one. 
That's how I am when I go to New Orleans.  If it is 85+ in Pennsylvania I cannot stand it.  I usually end up getting sick from it.  If it is 95+ in New Orleans I can wear anything I want.  I can't figure out why it is.  The humidity in Pennsylvania is awful, but in New Orleans, in pretty much a swamp, it's tolerable.  This summer I was walking around in a smoking jacket or a tail coat and mostly in dark colors and only twice did I have sweat issues.  (both times it was mainly because I decided to walk several miles without a break) 

Hmmm Billy the Kid's knit wear reminds me of a few things my fiance has....I wonder..... Grin  (her grandmother flipped the other day when she saw a picture of her with one of my PLASTIC guns, I'm not sure how we could do some photos and not have her family read us the riot act  Angry

Sadly the closest resemblance I have had to anyone in my family has been my mother, my grandmother, and my great-grandmother.  Put pictures of us together from birth until about 3 years and we all look alike.  It's kind of creepy actually.  As adults my mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother all looked alike for the most part.  Luckily though as much as I could never stand my father, I have come out with enough of his features and my grandfather's (mother's side) features to look masculine.   Wink 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2302 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:00 pm »

That's how I am when I go to New Orleans.  If it is 85+ in Pennsylvania I cannot stand it.  I usually end up getting sick from it.  If it is 95+ in New Orleans I can wear anything I want.  I can't figure out why it is.  The humidity in Pennsylvania is awful, but in New Orleans, in pretty much a swamp, it's tolerable.  This summer I was walking around in a smoking jacket or a tail coat and mostly in dark colors and only twice did I have sweat issues.  (both times it was mainly because I decided to walk several miles without a break) 

Well the lack of humidity or really moisture of any kind is great for me.  Back in New York City once it was 70 degrees or hotter I was miserable with the humidity.  Though when I explained that it was a dry heat my Lady's father told me to heat the oven to 100 degrees, stick my head in, and then say it's a dry heat, it's still hot!  Ha ha ha.  I guess he's got a point there, but really it is different.

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2303 on: February 16, 2012, 07:24:51 pm »

I can't wait to see this hippy cowboy. We Southerners do indeed have our own style. Unfortunately I'm drawing a blank as to how one can make a backwoods farmer steampunk. Hmm.

Backwoods farmer sounds almost intrinsically steampunk to me, and you get to legitimately wear denim!

Oh and even cardigans if you wish, check out this fine piece of knitwear on Billy the Kid.  Cheesy

HA ... Honestly, the cowboy part is more of a regional thing ... where I live, there are mostly actual cowboys/cowgirls dressed in actual garb of the trade (hats, scarves, revolvers).  I currently do not possess any cows - the farmer bit may be a better description in that I grow exotic herbs (no, not that kind!) and have what amounts to a tree farm.
As for the hipster part (that would be a hippy with a job)?  yup, that's me.   I've got to buy a new hat since mine is lost somewhere in the Bitterroot River.  The levis part, and logger boots, and long greying hair, and a tendency for practical eccentricity ... and an extreme draw towards the old fashioned sums it up.  My avatar picture is pretty accurate of my normal mode of dress ... it was warm out, therefore no scarf (I've got more hair now ... and round wire frame grasses).  I have not found goggles that suit me ... I need some that have a magnifier lens for close work and some kind of spotlight thingy.  Most of my clothing is cotton or wool in a vintage style.  ... and it must practical and stand up to chainsaws and backwoods shenanigans (therefore, no longcoats or smoking jackets for me).  Footwear can be an issue for me since I broke both my ankles years ago.  There are actually very few pictures of me, except from the occasional stage thing or wedding.

So yeah ... I'll modify my previous description to backwoods hippy farmer and designer of electrical things and wood structures with a tendency to apply (subtlety hidden) modern tech to old things.  A lifestylist? maybe.

Looking at the farmer picture really looks like pictures of my fam from the early 1900's!

Onward ho!
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2304 on: February 16, 2012, 07:46:18 pm »

We still have cowboys in Florida; I drive by a pasture every morning on my way to the office. I'm by no means a cowboy though, so I tend to shy away from that look. The backwoods farmer is a bit more on the mark; growing up we used to have family reunions at my great-grandmother's childhood home, on what was left of their tobacco farm.

A steampunk moonshiner is really what I'm after, lol. And actually there's a fair amount of real steam involved in that process, so I don't think it'd be too hard.

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2305 on: February 16, 2012, 08:26:50 pm »

We still have cowboys in Florida; I drive by a pasture every morning on my way to the office. I'm by no means a cowboy though, so I tend to shy away from that look. The backwoods farmer is a bit more on the mark; growing up we used to have family reunions at my great-grandmother's childhood home, on what was left of their tobacco farm.

A steampunk moonshiner is really what I'm after, lol. And actually there's a fair amount of real steam involved in that process, so I don't think it'd be too hard.

Steampunk moonshiner would be cool.  I could be wrong but it is my understanding that it's perfectly ok to make moonshine but not to sell it.
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2306 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:28 pm »

Steampunk moonshiner would be cool.  I could be wrong but it is my understanding that it's perfectly ok to make moonshine but not to sell it.

I wish. No, distilling is illegal unless you have the correct permits and have basically set up a full business with LOTS of documentation and approval.

I could probably build an obviously (to the guv'ment, mind) non-working still that would still look fricken' sweet though. That would be awesome.
BB BlackDog
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #2307 on: February 16, 2012, 09:17:10 pm »

I wish. No, distilling is illegal unless you have the correct permits and have basically set up a full business with LOTS of documentation and approval.

I could probably build an obviously (to the guv'ment, mind) non-working still that would still look fricken' sweet though. That would be awesome.

Thanks to the EU and the tradition of Port still's on farms and the like, not so many rules for your own consumption now, Bought a great copper still from Portugal, brought it through customs no problem, and works great.

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2308 on: February 16, 2012, 09:37:12 pm »

Steampunk moonshiner would be cool.  I could be wrong but it is my understanding that it's perfectly ok to make moonshine but not to sell it.

Thanks to the EU and the tradition of Port still's on farms and the like, not so many rules for your own consumption now, Bought a great copper still from Portugal, brought it through customs no problem, and works great.

My jealousy knows no bounds. My hope is that the US moves in that direction soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #2309 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:38 pm »

Steampunk moonshiner would be cool.  I could be wrong but it is my understanding that it's perfectly ok to make moonshine but not to sell it.

My jealousy knows no bounds. My hope is that the US moves in that direction soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'll get around to photo-ing the still, very steampunk better post it in contraptions, going a little off topic already.
Possibly less prohibition about other recreation intoxications in the US though.
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2310 on: February 16, 2012, 10:38:41 pm »

The laws in Montana are completely unenforced ... if you don't sell it EVER.  All this talk of stills is encouraging me to make one!

now ... back on topic.  For your comic viewing pleasure, ME as Heir Drosselmier (sp) in the Nutcracker.  (the hair is tied up with a black bow!)

BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #2311 on: February 16, 2012, 10:58:14 pm »

The laws in Montana are completely unenforced ... if you don't sell it EVER.  All this talk of stills is encouraging me to make one!

now ... back on topic.  For your comic viewing pleasure, ME as Heir Drosselmier (sp) in the Nutcracker.  (the hair is tied up with a black bow!)

Most splendid.
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2312 on: February 16, 2012, 11:06:17 pm »

Birdnest, nothing comedic about it.  Y'all wear that well.  I myself always had the darn'est time tying my hair with a black bow.  Is there some trick of this that continues to elude me?
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2313 on: February 16, 2012, 11:12:42 pm »

Birdnest, nothing comedic about it.  Y'all wear that well.  I myself always had the darn'est time tying my hair with a black bow.  Is there some trick of this that continues to elude me?

Thanks all ...

the trick to the Black Bow is have one of those dancers in the background fashion it from a nice piece of black satin ribbon ... and then leave it alone!
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #2314 on: February 16, 2012, 11:25:18 pm »

ME as Heir Drosselmier (sp) in the Nutcracker.  (the hair is tied up with a black bow!)

Excellent, that really suits you. Have you ever done any work as a film extra? I'm sure you'd go down a storm.
Grumfoss
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #2315 on: February 16, 2012, 11:56:07 pm »

Great look Sir, love it.

I have just recieved a couple of iconographs from a professional photographer taken in Blackpool.

I must admit i'm quite chuffed Smiley

Grum

Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2316 on: February 17, 2012, 12:15:37 am »

Great look Sir, love it.

I have just recieved a couple of iconographs from a professional photographer taken in Blackpool.

I must admit i'm quite chuffed Smiley

Grum

Epic Sir ...  Beautiful pix, great lighting!

and I want those specs.  Are the over-glasses magnifiers?  Most inspiring, I must say  Smiley
I don't think my facial hair will ever cooperate in such a way as to have a fine beard and 'stash that you are sporting there
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2317 on: February 17, 2012, 12:36:41 am »

Thanks for the tip about keeping the hair...I was trying the other day with a scrape of leather lacing.  My hair is long enough that I would look great at a Colonial Revolution Re-enactment. 

Grumfoss, y'all wear that mustache well.  Mine is only now starting to behave under the use of that Firehouse Mustache Wax and after a serious trimming,  so much I might've just shaved it.

Here is a photo from today, repairing the outlets in my new room:
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2318 on: February 17, 2012, 12:57:00 am »

Thanks for the tip about keeping the hair...I was trying the other day with a scrape of leather lacing.  My hair is long enough that I would look great at a Colonial Revolution Re-enactment. 

Grumfoss, y'all wear that mustache well.  Mine is only now starting to behave under the use of that Firehouse Mustache Wax and after a serious trimming,  so much I might've just shaved it.

Where. Did. You. Get. Those. Glasses?!

Sorry 'bout that. I've been searching for a pair of properly steampunk sunglasses and those look incredible. Unless they're actually goggles and I've been had. But seriously; where did you get them?
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2319 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:50 am »

Where. Did. You. Get. Those. Glasses?!

Sorry 'bout that. I've been searching for a pair of properly steampunk sunglasses and those look incredible. Unless they're actually goggles and I've been had. But seriously; where did you get them?

Same question here!!
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2320 on: February 17, 2012, 01:15:39 am »

I believe it was here: http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/  However, I did find them by literally typing "steampunk sunglasses" on google images.  When I saw something I liked I went on the site.  What caught my eye was the secondary rim, which was offered in black, white, and the one I ordered which was tortoise shell.  The best part is they are actually polarized and only cost me 10 dollars.
psn1der
« Reply #2321 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:24 am »

Gentlemen!  I must say...THANK YOU for the wonderful pictures.  Was having a 'fair to partly cloudy' time of it today.  Logged in and behold!  Handsome men, everywhere.  Brightened my day right up.

The pictures are wonderful.  Keep up the good work.

Paige
Rushing's Rarities
Zeppelin Captain

Formerly "superbill22"

« Reply #2322 on: February 17, 2012, 01:36:08 am »

I believe it was here: http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/ .

I purchased a pair of the same there as well however, I believe it was the last pair they had, last I looked, that style has been discontinued. You may as well have a look anyway, please do not take my word for it.

As an alternative, I recently stumbled upon these... http://www.hippie-sunglasses.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=167&zenid=54e085c47dd3fc58410cb9b8bab2d32e
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:41:41 am by superbill22 » Logged

The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #2323 on: February 17, 2012, 02:35:37 am »

Grum

Mr. Grumfoss, I do not believe it is possible for an American to properly display the particular facial expression you are wearing in your second picture.
That pursed-lipped gaze of measured disdain always comes off caricatured and buffoonish in the colonial.
On you, it has the casual look of the preternaturally superior.
You, sir, must be an Englishman.

HMS Pinafore - For he is an Englishman

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2324 on: February 17, 2012, 03:18:29 am »

I believe it was here: http://www.gogglesandglasses.com/ .

I purchased a pair of the same there as well however, I believe it was the last pair they had, last I looked, that style has been discontinued. You may as well have a look anyway, please do not take my word for it.

As an alternative, I recently stumbled upon these... http://www.hippie-sunglasses.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=167&zenid=54e085c47dd3fc58410cb9b8bab2d32e

Ooh! Those are great! Thank you most kindly!
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: