The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 06:40:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 2)  (Read 301538 times)
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #2250 on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:56 pm »

You look quite fantastic.  I love the pocket watch.

I love that piece myself! It was a totally unexpected find at a flea market! Cost me $5! I was very very lucky to find it! Smiley Thanks so much!

Flea Markets, Estate Sales (especially so), garage sales, and sales at old Churches and the like are all wonderful places to find treasures at affordable prices and great bargains.  Makes me think of Portabelo Road:

Bedknobs & Broomsticks - Portobello Road

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2251 on: February 13, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »

You look quite fantastic.  I love the pocket watch.

I love that piece myself! It was a totally unexpected find at a flea market! Cost me $5! I was very very lucky to find it! Smiley Thanks so much!

Flea Markets, Estate Sales (especially so), garage sales, and sales at old Churches and the like are all wonderful places to find treasures at affordable prices and great bargains.  Makes me think of Portabelo Road:

Bedknobs & Broomsticks - Portobello Road

I love that movie, and I love that song! Thanks to Netflix we were able to watch it again recently. I felt like I had reclaimed a piece of my childhood!

"Well, I don't really think that the end can be assessed as of itself as being the end because what does the end feel like? It's like saying when you try to extrapolate the end of the universe, you say, if the universe is indeed infinite, then how - what does that mean? How far is all the way, and then if it stops, what's stopping it, and what's behind what's stopping it? So, what's the end, you know, is my question to you."

~ David St. Hubbins
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

Everythings a story. You are a story -I am a story

« Reply #2252 on: February 13, 2012, 05:43:23 pm »

Flea Markets, Estate Sales (especially so), garage sales, and sales at old Churches and the like are all wonderful places to find treasures at affordable prices and great bargains. 

Exactly. We have a really good couple of fleamarket seasons here in massachusetts, and an abundance of tag and estate sales. I've also recently found a local store that buys bulk lots from old mills, and has some really wonderful things that are very steampunky- gears, keys, metal plates and disks. They also have cloth and other weird finds. I got a kids plastic toy riffle for 1.00 that will make a very nice weapon with some paint and additions.

http://www.loottheshop.com/

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. -Douglas Adams
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2253 on: February 13, 2012, 05:53:55 pm »

Cool stuff.  I'll have to take a trip there the next time I visit the family in New Hampshire.  My grandmother and I were on the mailing list for a company that ran estate sales.  The beauty of that was that if you were a "regular" they would hold stuff for you that they knew was up your alley.  My grandmother and I had one heck of a system moving through the house, finding the stuff we need.  I miss that, almost most of all, about having moved.  That's one of the things I look forward to when I visit New York.  I picked up recently a steamer trunk that I can fit my 6 foot tall brother into, for 10 dollars.  And it's in amazing shape.

Also, I find that frequenting mom and pop antiques stores is great too.  Another link to finding estate sales and they'll be willing to hold stuff that is "on my list of interests".
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:56:12 pm by greatestescaper » Logged
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

« Reply #2254 on: February 13, 2012, 06:10:32 pm »

Oh! I think I need to find me a mailing list like that! I have a lot of fun with the estate sales and flea markets but they can be hit or miss if you need an exact something. They're better for finding stuff you might be able to use at some point. LOL

I agree with the mom and pop antique stores. I try to stay away from the ones in the really tourist towns because they tend to jack the price on everything, and tend to have less of the "Bags of keys" or "bags of buttons" type finds. I did find a neat old 1880's pistol at one, but of course it was somewhere in the $700 range, obviously far too expensive for a prop.
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2255 on: February 13, 2012, 06:28:27 pm »

Yeah.  I find also that making a list of desired items, or the types of things you like, and give it to friends and family who frequent these things also.  Well exchange lists, network and you cover more ground that way.  I've found more cool things by word of mouth.  Then suddenly I look and say whoa I've got a treasure trove of stuff here.  It happens before you realize.  By the way, I must add that you've a good start there yourself Bookgall.
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

« Reply #2256 on: February 13, 2012, 06:56:16 pm »

Thank you Greatestescaper!  Cheesy
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2257 on: February 14, 2012, 12:37:12 am »

I wasn't sure whether to post these here or in the Pinup thread, so they wound up here. Just some shots I took after work in an outfit I threw together. The inclusion of the flag was incidental rather than intentional. That's the only workable place to take pictures in my room. I was going for a sort of kilted airship crewman; possibly a pirate? I looked everywhere but couldn't find my goggles, which aren't that impressive to begin with. Aviators aren't exactly Steampunk, but they were handy.  Tongue

A few in sepia/black and white. Somehow the first one got tinted differently than the others.:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the same in color:

psn1der
« Reply #2258 on: February 14, 2012, 12:51:54 am »

Ah...Fine work, Walkthebassline.

Check out those knees.  Men in kilts!   Shocked
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:53:38 am by psn1der » Logged
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2259 on: February 14, 2012, 12:56:39 am »

Check out those knees.  Men in kilts!   Shocked

Thanks! Its an outfit that could use some more work, but I think its a pretty good start.

The knives are real by the way, including the one you can't really see peeking out of my hose. Not a traditional sgian dubh, but it gets the job done. The large one at my side was homemade by my grandfather, and the smaller curved hilt at my navel is a knife my father picked up for me in India.
psn1der
« Reply #2260 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:37 am »

Check out those knees.  Men in kilts!   Shocked

Thanks! Its an outfit that could use some more work, but I think its a pretty good start.

The knives are real by the way, including the one you can't really see peeking out of my hose. Not a traditional sgian dubh, but it gets the job done. The large one at my side was homemade by my grandfather, and the smaller curved hilt at my navel is a knife my father picked up for me in India.
 The personal connection to the knives makes the outfit THAT much better.  Bravo, kind sir.

Paige
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2261 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:49 am »

I'm having trouble placing the guitar-I WANT to say it's an Epiphone/Gibson type guitar, but I'm not sure...  Help a brother out? lawl

And nice outfit-I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me get a kilt-something about my having "Chicken legs" or somesuch nonsense as all that...

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2262 on: February 14, 2012, 01:05:09 am »

That's where the hose comes in, mate. It covers a multitude of sins. Seriously though, you should get a kilt. Mine's from a company called Stillwater; they are a great deal for the money.

As for the guitar, its a 1981 Gibson Sonex Custom. They were only in production for three years, and I inherited this one from my grandfather, who bought it used about ten years ago.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2263 on: February 14, 2012, 01:15:30 am »

I am thinking of getting some good knee socks.  As for the kilt, I'll get one from Ava's Apparel.  She makes quality stuff, and I'll know that it was CUSTOM MADE for ME, either in Clan Robertson or Clan Duncan's colours.  I WILL need to find a really good sporran, though.  I'm thinking Museum Replicas for that-they have some rather nice ones, then again, I've never really LOOKED.

Also, for my Anniversary, I plan to get both my wife and my self a small plot of land in Scotland-making us Lord and Lady O'Sullivan, LEGALLY!  Somehow, I think that's relevant.

Ah HA!  I KNEW it was a Gibson-the lines made it so!  It's a LOVELY guitar, mate.  VERY lovely indeed!
Bookgal1977
Deck Hand

« Reply #2264 on: February 14, 2012, 01:16:58 am »

Nothing better than a man in a kilt! Great base!
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2265 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:09 am »

Ah yes, of course. Its to my shame that I didn't think of Lady Ava, since I've been encouraging her to get into kiltmaking.

If you're interested, check out X Marks The Scot; all the companies who advertise on their forum are supported by the members of the forum. There are two or three custom sporran makers, as well as several different kiltmakers who specialize in all different styles of kilts.

And yes, the guitar is sweet. It even has a coil tap switch; how many Gibsons can copy a Strat tone, lol?

Thank you!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2266 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:47 am »

Ah yes, of course. Its to my shame that I didn't think of Lady Ava, since I've been encouraging her to get into kiltmaking.

If you're interested, check out X Marks The Scot; all the companies who advertise on their forum are supported by the members of the forum. There are two or three custom sporran makers, as well as several different kiltmakers who specialize in all different styles of kilts.

And yes, the guitar is sweet. It even has a coil tap switch; how many Gibsons can copy a Strat tone, lol?

Thank you!

You and I both, mate.  Soon as she mentioned it, I decided she'd be the source. 

As far as the sporran goes, as I'm a bit...  eclectic in taste (to say the very least), I'd probably NEED a custom maker, assuming they work with people on a tight (and I mean TIGHT) budget.  I THOUGHT I'd be able to find something along the lines of what I was looking for, and I'm sure that through more Googlefu I probably can...  Maybe.  Bullets are involved, but that's all I'm saying.

See, I've always been more a Fender man than a Gibson (my da, on the other hand, is all about him some Gibson).  So yeah, the coiltap makes it THAT much more appealing to me!
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #2267 on: February 14, 2012, 01:44:08 am »

Thought I'd throw my two cents in. Here's me in my 'western' victorian outfit. Wore it to go out on my birthday.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2268 on: February 14, 2012, 01:47:12 am »

Thought I'd throw my two cents in. Here's me in my 'western' victorian outfit. Wore it to go out on my birthday.

From one gentleman to another (and a young man to his elder), that looks very sharp sir. Very nice indeed.
Ramona Ann Mather
Deck Hand

« Reply #2269 on: February 14, 2012, 03:10:54 am »

Regarding 'chicken legs', men in the 18th century wore padded hose to improve the appearance.  The primary sources I read were in connection with breeches, not kilts, though.
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2270 on: February 14, 2012, 03:41:55 am »

WHAT? We're out of BLUE BELL DUTCH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM!  Let us make haste, to the grocery store.

walkthebassline
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2271 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:06 am »

WHAT? We're out of BLUE BELL DUTCH CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM!  Let us make haste, to the grocery store.

You're reminding me why I need a scarf. That thing is awesome. And those boots look killer too.
psn1der
« Reply #2272 on: February 14, 2012, 04:34:35 am »

Wow! Very handsome, sir.

Greatestescaper!  Wonderful picture.  I can just picture you in a silent move as the "No 1 Flying Ace".

We ladies are blessed with a bevy of dashing males on this forum.  Lucky us!

Paige
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:37:55 am by psn1der » Logged
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2273 on: February 14, 2012, 04:45:17 am »

Regarding 'chicken legs', men in the 18th century wore padded hose to improve the appearance.  The primary sources I read were in connection with breeches, not kilts, though.

I think I may just have to get back in the gym and do some leg-building exercises.  The thought of padded hose just...  yeah, no.

The thing that's going to be HARDEST on me is the fact I've not worn shorts (or anything even CLOSE to them-swim trunks included) since I was 8 years old.

So not only are my legs like that of a chicken...

They are white as a ghost.

And did I mention hairy?
psn1der
« Reply #2274 on: February 14, 2012, 04:53:31 am »

What does Harry have to do with any of this?

Cheesy

I think you are being too critical Xenos.  It's called lean...like a runner or archer of old.  And trust me, the ladies are going to be focusing on just what IS under that kilt.

Paige

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:57:21 am by psn1der » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 [91] 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: