The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 12:50:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing Dress Up (The Steam Gallery Volume 2)  (Read 302343 times)
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #2200 on: February 02, 2012, 05:55:13 am »

Ha cool, just walked past that local on my way to the bus! Just up from the trains station. Good outfit.

I LIKE!  Steamy without going too "over the top" as many do.

The Sky Pirate
Captain of the "Queen Victoria's Revenge"

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #2201 on: February 02, 2012, 09:20:02 am »

The last few weeks have been full with good looking ladies and gentlemen and got me anxious to flaunt my Steampunk gear again, as it has been too long.

Luckily, I had a wonderful opportunity this weekend, as me and a few other Dutch Steampunk lovers met to visit the Veluwsche Stoomtrein Maatschappij (Veluwse Steamtrain Company). Obviously, a true playground for this kind of thing and ideal backdrop for photos in a Steampunk setting. My favourite:

A few more underneath the spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Jealousssss!

Hehehe. Thank you, ser, you are welcome Wink

Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #2202 on: February 02, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »

We Three Steampunks....

Two lovely steampunks from Montreal with me at a recent convention in Gatineau, Quebec.

Great picture! Quite the range of styles represented between three people.

Thank you.  There was a great range of steampunk styles there.

Proud to be a Canadian Steampunk
Countessa Lenora
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

CountessaLenora
« Reply #2203 on: February 02, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

We Three Steampunks....

Two lovely steampunks from Montreal with me at a recent convention in Gatineau, Quebec.

If you don't mind me saying so ma'am you're a very elegant Lady. I also like the way that gent is rockin his long piratey waistcoat. I'd never considered they could work so well with Vicwardian stylings, but now I see it it looks rather swish.

Thank you.  Most kind.  That gent is quite the well dressed man.
BB BlackDog
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

aka lieutenant Jager Schnitzel

bbblackdog
« Reply #2204 on: February 02, 2012, 04:28:34 pm »

Herr Chief Engineear Axel Bolt
Drummer of BB BlackDog

15 by BB BlackDog, on Flickr

Links to my Band "BB BlackDog"'s website's WWW.steampunkrecords.COM/BBBLACKDOGUK
WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/BBBLACKDOG            
WWW.BBBLACKDOG.EU
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2205 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »

Ha cool, just walked past that local on my way to the bus! Just up from the trains station. Good outfit.

I LIKE!  Steamy without going too "over the top" as many do.

Thank you =]

cemeteryresearcher.com

'a lighthearted academic blog about funerary practice' - Updates Sundays*

*gremlins permitting
SPBrewer
Zeppelin Captain

Sky Pirate Brewer

« Reply #2206 on: February 03, 2012, 09:11:58 am »

Oh well at least I think it proves that Birmingham as a whole is not ready for even my toned down version of steampunk. When they asked people to cheer, my outfit got complete silence =P I strangely feel that was something of an achievement.

It does seem that the public expects "Steampunk" to be outlandish.  I too, am more of a realist.  "MY" version of Steampunk is Victorian Science Fiction, not a goofy clown act.

Everybody has their take on Steampunk, that is mine.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2207 on: February 03, 2012, 12:36:09 pm »

Oh well at least I think it proves that Birmingham as a whole is not ready for even my toned down version of steampunk. When they asked people to cheer, my outfit got complete silence =P I strangely feel that was something of an achievement.

It does seem that the public expects "Steampunk" to be outlandish.  I too, am more of a realist.  "MY" version of Steampunk is Victorian Science Fiction, not a goofy clown act.

I think it would have been a worse reaction if the outfit was more 'outlandish'.
Either way, I like my steampunk to be things I can wear every day.

Some great outfits on the last couple of pages, really inspiring.

BB Blackdog which cemetery is your drummer in? Looks familiar...
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2208 on: February 03, 2012, 05:48:45 pm »

I tend to agree, though sometimes certain people pull off outlandish very very well.  However, sometimes just odd I fun too.  The other night a band played at the local Saloon, if you could call them a band.  Two guys, in their 60's or so, acoustic guitars and such.  The one fella looked like Kieth Richards (I found out later he was a look alike in LA for a while, ha ha) was dressed rather like a Rolling Stone I guess.  Except that his fedora sort of hat had a bandana skulls and cross bones on it, some weird necklaces, and a Civil War grey jacket, with converse allstars.  He asked first if I worked at the Saloon (which is a classic western theme, bat-wing doors and such), and when I mentioned I did not asked if my dressing (a bib-front and high-waisted trousers, belt with my flask holster and a good knife) was a steampunk thing.  Then we got to talking and it turns out he's a bit of a steampunk himself, though sort of a loner looking to find a good community.  We exchanged emails and hopefully we'll see him on here sometime.

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Seaton Begg
Snr. Officer

Anarcho-Dadaist

« Reply #2209 on: February 03, 2012, 09:00:26 pm »

Drummer of BB BlackDog

I do hope that you are not, as the photograph seems to show, leaning up against that monument.  Angry

We shall bewilder the masses with seams in our trousers that could cut paper, trilbies angled so rakishly that traffic comes to a standstill; and by refusing the bland, watery substances that are foisted upon us by faceless corporations, we shall bring the establishment to its knees.
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #2210 on: February 03, 2012, 11:05:55 pm »

BB Blackdog which cemetery is your drummer in? Looks familiar...

Its near Haddon Hall, we did a shoot around the hall and the Hardwick inn, (some are for next Xmas)
But here's another not Christmastide related
Thanks Dale
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:08:39 pm by BB BlackDog » Logged
BB BlackDog
Officer

bbblackdog
« Reply #2211 on: February 03, 2012, 11:15:20 pm »

Drummer of BB BlackDog

I do hope that you are not, as the photograph seems to show, leaning up against that monument.  Angry

Oh the thought !  Shocked
No, of course very respectful, very careful to not even step on the grave,
Made for a Good shot though. Smiley
Here's another from the shoot.
MistressMagpie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2212 on: February 04, 2012, 07:41:14 am »

Oooh, mighty fine! Number 8 is very fun, and 10 would make a great coverart, if I may say so.

MAGPIE, n. A bird whose thievish disposition suggested to someone that it might be taught to talk.
        -- The Devil's Dictionary

Avatar made with much assistance from Ammotu's artistic talents.
and_solo_said
Snr. Officer

Maker of leather things

« Reply #2213 on: February 04, 2012, 12:48:13 pm »

At MCM Expo last October, the professional photographer's assistant liked our costumes so much she pestered the photographer into taking a shot of us on her phone. After five minutes of posing, the photographer got so annoyed with the iPhone camera that he picked up his own camera and took the shot. Searching his website later, I found our photo!

I think this year we'll actually have to pay him to get one of all ten of us.
Flightless Phoenix
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2214 on: February 04, 2012, 08:13:35 pm »

I know the guy who took the pic- he's my boyfriend's uncle =]

Awesome outfits- would have definately liked to see all 10 of you!
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2215 on: February 04, 2012, 09:13:41 pm »

Two new ones from today.  Having my fiance's mom call me a fuddy-duddy kinda got me in the mood to do some photos. 

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Peacemaker
« Reply #2216 on: February 04, 2012, 09:21:19 pm »

What's dress up, you mean to tell me you guys/gals don't dress like this everyday! My entire wardrobe is Victorian / Steampunk! 
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2217 on: February 04, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

What's dress up, you mean to tell me you guys/gals don't dress like this everyday! My entire wardrobe is Victorian / Steampunk! 

I usually leave out the weapons and trade the top hat for something lower profile, but other than that, I am in the same boat. 
Peacemaker
« Reply #2218 on: February 04, 2012, 10:16:36 pm »

I usually leave out the weapons and trade the top hat for something lower profile, but other than that, I am in the same boat. 

Cheers! Nice to know I'm not the only one  Grin

I still wear my bowler but for the most part I've gotten rid of all my t-shirts (unless it's an undershirt) and all my jeans. If I wore "normal" clothes people would think something was wrong  Cheesy  I love it and other people love it so don't fix what isn't broken!

RATFINKBOYMICAH
« Reply #2219 on: February 04, 2012, 11:05:20 pm »

Cheers! Nice to know I'm not the only one  Grin

I still wear my bowler but for the most part I've gotten rid of all my t-shirts (unless it's an undershirt) and all my jeans. If I wore "normal" clothes people would think something was wrong  Cheesy  I love it and other people love it so don't fix what isn't broken!

i wear my crazy clothes too everday my clothes havent always been steampunk but they have always been crazy an got really wild when i hit 13 parents let pick out my own clothes im 25 now an my parents keep telling me i need to get rid of some of my clothes some dont fit me anymore but i save them incase i lose weight i will always live with them unless i ever get married an thats not happning anytime soon i havent had a date since i was 15 an only had one girl freind an now i cant get woman to go out with me
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2220 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:35 pm »

Two new ones from today.  Having my fiance's mom call me a fuddy-duddy kinda got me in the mood to do some photos. 

From one "cantankerous old man" to another "fuddy-duddy" great shots you've got there.  Might I ask where you found the hat in the upper photo?  I've been wanting after one since watching the King Kong remake.  Not to mention that the crusher cap I've got from WhatPriceGlory just does not seem to be crushing the way it ought to.
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2221 on: February 04, 2012, 11:28:06 pm »

Two new ones from today.  Having my fiance's mom call me a fuddy-duddy kinda got me in the mood to do some photos.  

From one "cantankerous old man" to another "fuddy-duddy" great shots you've got there.  Might I ask where you found the hat in the upper photo?  I've been wanting after one since watching the King Kong remake.  Not to mention that the crusher cap I've got from WhatPriceGlory just does not seem to be crushing the way it ought to.

Actually had a similar problem with finding the right cap when I was doing Russian Civil War reenacting.  Many of those by 1919 were either crudely made or had been through so much that they had a very noticeable crushed appearance from the typical high peaked cap.  Without many suppliers in the US and the post-war versions being too stiff, I simply took a Russian visor cap, (to examine the basic pattern) some old material, (1930's laundry bag) and some scrap leather and made my own.  They are actually quite simple to make.  Getting the visor to stay outward is the only problem, though with the Russian style, it points downward thus making it even easier.  
Peacemaker
« Reply #2222 on: February 05, 2012, 02:46:15 am »

This is me on a normal day, for the general population it's dressing up. Cheesy An older lady at the store said I look rather dapper.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 02:48:04 am by Peacemaker » Logged
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2223 on: February 05, 2012, 03:00:27 am »

Two new ones from today.  Having my fiance's mom call me a fuddy-duddy kinda got me in the mood to do some photos.  

From one "cantankerous old man" to another "fuddy-duddy" great shots you've got there.  Might I ask where you found the hat in the upper photo?  I've been wanting after one since watching the King Kong remake.  Not to mention that the crusher cap I've got from WhatPriceGlory just does not seem to be crushing the way it ought to.

Actually had a similar problem with finding the right cap when I was doing Russian Civil War reenacting.  Many of those by 1919 were either crudely made or had been through so much that they had a very noticeable crushed appearance from the typical high peaked cap.  Without many suppliers in the US and the post-war versions being too stiff, I simply took a Russian visor cap, (to examine the basic pattern) some old material, (1930's laundry bag) and some scrap leather and made my own.  They are actually quite simple to make.  Getting the visor to stay outward is the only problem, though with the Russian style, it points downward thus making it even easier.  

Thanks for the tip, and you did a grand job of it.  My other half is fancying herself a seamstress these days, well, a soon-to-be-seamstress (soon-to-be meaning when ever we finally take the sewing machine out of the box it was delivered in-from Christmas).  Mayhap she'll not mind making one for me (as I will be making her things of leather).

And as far as the dressing up, the bib-fronts, vests, kerchiefs, and certainly that gus-crowned hat of mine are daily attire.   The last time I was out in only a t-shirt was actually a tank top this last summer (its a replica of the one worn by Jack Burton, of Big Trouble In Little China).  Though I will mention that for the most part, say nearly everyday of the week, I'm wearing jeans.  However, when one thinks of it, that is the beauty of West Texas attire.  You put on your jeans, your boots, shirt, vest, kerchief, of course all after donning your hat, and go ride the dusty trail.  Then when it comes time for a real shin-dig, you walk up the steps, dust off your clothes and in you go; already properly dressed for the occasion.  In point of fact, a fresh pair of jeans is considered appropriate to be worn with a collared shirt, vest and hat at a wedding.  Friends of mine were married in just that fashion, he in the aforementioned get-up and she in a nice, simple, white summer dress that came to just above the knee, and tall western boots.  They were quite a sight to be seen.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:06:06 am by greatestescaper » Logged
psn1der
« Reply #2224 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:20 am »

This is me on a normal day, for the general population it's dressing up. Cheesy An older lady at the store said I look rather dapper.

She was correct in her assessment.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 [89] 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: