The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 19, 2019, 04:17:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grand Rapids, Michigan Steampunks  (Read 1641 times)
Morphine482
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: June 03, 2010, 04:02:06 am »

Hello, first post here since having found the place after the World Steam Expo in Dearborn just this past weekend  (those of you who were there, I was the guy walking around in the blue shirt and kepi with the Tesla Rangers badge, the Narrator for the Girl Genius Radio Plays, and one of the screaming maniacs from the nerf-and-boffer boarding action being run by Aegis). 

I and my girlfriend are new to the scene, but I am VERY much interested in it and want to find out if there's any other fans of the aesthetic in town here in Grand Rapids - I know I've seen a couple folks pipe up about it, but I'm trying to be polite.   Grin

I presently do tabletop gaming for Unhallowed Metropolis (a phenomenal steampunk-zombpocalypse RPG, with a LARP coming soon) and plan on further monkeying with both my nerf modding skills and aesthetic sense to get further into the community.

If there's anyone in GR, sound off I guess?
Miss Genevieve Gale
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 02:47:50 pm »

:waveshandwildly: Hi! I'm in GR! Hubby and I are new to SP, also. We've been doing ren faires and have been members of the SCA for a few years but my first SP event was last November. Hubby is very new- WSX was his first event. For me it's all about the costuming and props.  Grin

Morphine482
Deck Hand

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 08:36:43 pm »

Awesome.  I'm largely looking around for any sort of community we have in town, any sort of events, LARPs, anything like that I could get into and potentially bring others towards.

If there's any such thing it would be a great add on to my day.   Grin
Angus McCrumb
Deck Hand

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 02:00:52 am »

I'm a little further north on Mackinac Island. Let me know if you are ever in the neighborhood. We have a small band of steampunkers here on the island during the summer months.
Morphine482
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:39:08 pm »

Heh, my father lives up that way, I even used to work at the forts a few years back.  Who knows, I might try and make it up there again in the future.  Smiley
Angus McCrumb
Deck Hand

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:19:03 pm »

When did you work at the Forts?  I was a soldier on the Island in 2000, 2001, 2008 and 2009.
Artfulmamma
Swab

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:57:02 am »

I am looking for Grand Rapids/West Michigan area steampunk artists to exhibits their works at the Newaygo County Council for the Arts, in Fremont, MI in February of 2011. Please email me at isenhartl@live.com if you have any fine steampunk inventions or artifacts to exhibit for this month-long show. They can be for sale or display only objects. Thanks! -Lindsay Isenhart Program Coordinator Newaygo County Council for the Arts. Please forward this information to any steampunks out there!
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 02:42:01 am »

I too live in the GR area, just a tad south, in farm country, so there isn't really anything out here.
if there are any SP groups that meet in the area, I'd love to hear about it and join. if not, we should consider starting one

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Ceallach Curley
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:22:00 pm »

Like Mina, I'm a tad south of GR in the farm country, but only about 25 minutes away, and go to school in Allendale during the fall/winter/spring. I'd love to have meet-ups and all that, and get to know a few others to craft or hang out with.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 01:16:53 am »

Just so you all know...
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,26019.0.html
BlackReaper
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:17:01 pm »

Because there is not much going on for us "West" Michiganers I am more than willing to do some thread necromancy by replying.I am about 40 minutes north of downtown GR (up 131) and have been trying to get to a meetup for quite some time ("the Coalition of West Michigan SteamPunks" on the "thesteampunkempire.com" has been dead for a while) but have yet to.I am going to be going to GRCC for the winter/spring semester so am definitely going to be in GR more often the next few months and then come June (after Origins Game Fair of course) I will be going up to Mackinac Island for a summer job at the Grand Hotel (which I am greatly looking forward to)...So yeah,lets pump some life into this half of the state. Cheers GLYAASDI --Nate--

Be yourself,everybody else is taken.
"All that glitters is not gold,all those who wander are not lost;.."--J.R.Tolkien
GLYAASDI--God Loves You All And So Do I
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: