Author Topic: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II  (Read 216953 times)

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2010, 01:07:53 am »
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH
MapQuest and directions to a recording studio in a rural/residential area.

Do people really use ineffectually-small and ureadable street signs?

Yes, People do.

:
(I'm talking postage-stamp signage here. I'm only exaggerating a little)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:10:35 am by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Indefinitive

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Breathe deep the madness...
    • Generation Geek
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2010, 04:30:23 am »
My alignment changed to Evil last session in D&D. In turning to the dark side, I've found a really interesting part of my character, but I want to be Unaligned again. So, today, the chance came to do good. Every member of the group who wasn't Evil was slowed, so I had a chance to go ahead to do the right thing. Here was the scenario:

An illusion of a man about to kill a child. The first time around, we had no idea it was an illusion. So I shot the man. He fell back, dead, and a bunch of arrows flew out and killed the child anyway. The room reset, and it was our warlock's turn. He's also Evil. So he shot the child. Wrong. I charged into the room with my daggers, jumped on the guy, and stabbed him in the throat. Wrong, and I'm locked in. Okay, so my two smart ways are both wrong. Damn it. We all know what comes next.

This time around, I shove the child out of the way and take the hit.

And I die. >:(

Luckily, we just got to Level 8, so our cleric has Res, but STILL. I'm mad that I do the right thing and I die.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:50:18 am by Indefinitive »
Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html

Alptraum

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2010, 11:08:02 am »
It's not "very likely" that you'll run into trouble (or doctors wouldn't get behind it, as many have); it's just possible.

I'll just leave this here...
:

Well, if you can show me the documentation of Atkin's diet causing something a bit more serious that scurvy (and I haven't seen anything to even back THAT up, in spite of looking), then please, link away.  Until that point, it's all anecdotes about a condition people get even when NOT on the Atkin's diet.

I'm not putting any proof for or against the Atkin's diet out there, but pointing out that you can't say that it's fine because doctors back it. Clearly smoking causes cancer amongst other health problems, but if this ad campaign exists, it shows that the opinions of doctors, whilst worthwhile, are not always right.

The Kernel

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2010, 11:41:42 am »
It's not "very likely" that you'll run into trouble (or doctors wouldn't get behind it, as many have); it's just possible.

I'll just leave this here...
:

Well, if you can show me the documentation of Atkin's diet causing something a bit more serious that scurvy (and I haven't seen anything to even back THAT up, in spite of looking), then please, link away.  Until that point, it's all anecdotes about a condition people get even when NOT on the Atkin's diet.

I'm not putting any proof for or against the Atkin's diet out there, but pointing out that you can't say that it's fine because doctors back it. Clearly smoking causes cancer amongst other health problems, but if this ad campaign exists, it shows that the opinions of doctors, whilst worthwhile, are not always right.

The ad campaign for Camel Cigarettes dates back to the 50's (I think) and definitly existed.
At the time there were issues with cigarette tobacco being cut with other plant products to make the crop go further, camel claimed they didn't and thus produced a "healthier and purer" cigarette (hence the advert).
It wasn't until the "Doll Report" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Doll (link to the author - I couldn't find one to the report) that the hazards of smoking tobacco that we all now accept (although don't always appreciate) were recognised.

RE the Atkins diet (and many other diets) - its all about balance and duration of use, balance of risk/benefit and seeking appropriate guidance which isn't always in the diet guide especially not the "popularised" version rather than the original.
And yes Vitamin C deficiency (scurvy) can be fatal (look at the statistics relating to the Royal Navy's introduction of citrus fruit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scurvy).

Auntie Ludmilla

• Snr. Officer
    • Bella D'Luna on Etsy. Handmade hats and fascinators
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2010, 08:44:24 pm »
attending a bellydance workshop in sweaty pre-thunderstorm weather, with a hangover, and ending up dancing next to the most talented and drop dead gorgeous dancer...... Bless her, she's lovely, but you really don't want to end up next to her when you're having a fat/ bad hair day
"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna

Capt. Dirigible

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2010, 08:48:53 pm »
Sniped in the dying seconds of an auction for a really nice pair of pince nez that I was following the progress of all weekend on eBay ..they went for a paultry £16... >:(
I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi

Sir A Poiselamppe

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2010, 11:00:17 pm »
So... I have to manufacture a prop sword, this is not a problem except I fancy making  something rather fine, however I can only do metalwork outdoors.... and as soon as I begin to work It starts raining..... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nikola Tesla

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Angel of Timefoolery
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2010, 02:36:29 am »
Please.  Gentlemen, ladies, please.  I did not mean to start a civil war with my scurvy story!

But that was my experience, anecdotal or otherwise, so for myself, I am not likely to do much Atkins dieting in the future.  (Also, what I have heard lately about dieting calls into question the safety and efficacy of any diet, recommending instead more sustainable balanced/healthy eating and exercise habits.  Our problems are with the fact that most of our modern food, the cheaper and easier kind anyway, has a lot of added sugar, processed starch, fat, and salt; also with the fact that our idea of a portion size these days is insane).  Maybe it just wasn't the system that is best for me, or maybe I needed a bigger than grad school budget, or maybe dieting at all is not smart if you're the type of person who stocks up on three foods and forgets all other possibilities for months at a time.  Anyhoo.

My gah for the day.  Spending four weeks trying to gain entry to a particular building, arranging an appointment, to have information at the guard desk, and making sure everybody's supervisor knows exactly who I am and why and when I am coming, up the chain of command all the way up to God.  Andy where is this place I want to go?  A top secret installation?  A palace?  The Vatican?  The Moon, maybe?

No.  The nastiest and smelliest (by reputation) slaughterhouse in the state.  And I won't be free to rest until I have made the visit.  Lucky me!

(Yes I am mad as a hatter, but no, that is unrelated)
"An announcement that a poetry-reading is about to take place will empty a room quicker than a water-cannon." - Daniel C. Stove, The Oracles and Their Cessation

Remember, if it's the Warden Regulant asking, you did NOT see this.

Nikola Tesla

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Angel of Timefoolery
Your Guilty Anti-Pleasure
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2010, 03:11:36 am »
What thing does everyone else seem to like (or large numbers seem to anyway) that you don't?

The "guilty pleasure" thread brought up two of mine:  vampires and zombies.  I'm just tired of these two tropes.  I don't tell others to stop discussing/reading about/dressing up as &c these things, but when the topic comes up I tend to wait it out or roll my eyes.  A work (novel, film, comic or such) featuring one of these items has to be very good and come with a lot of trusted recommendations, these days, before I'll waste my time on it.

Another, more fundamental one, in which I hereby reveal my extraterrestrial origins:  ice cream.  I am only very occasionally in the mood for this treat, and I am often disappointed; there are only two or three flavors I will accept.  Frozen custard is better; frozen yogurt is an abomination.  The other day, a greeter "wench" outside an ice cream shop gave me a taste of banana-flavored ice cream.  Since I like banana flavor (both real and fake), I tried some, and in reply to her question said, "it's pretty good", which here meant "I'll be polite and go sick up in a trash can around the corner where you don't have to see".  I mean it, cream and milk products other than butter or hard cheese are nasty.  What are you mammalians thinking?

So what are yours?  What are your tastes that mark you as an E.T.?

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher
Re: Your Guilty Anti-Pleasure
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2010, 04:24:33 am »
Bacon.

I play on a Rugby team with a bunch of big burly men, our ladies team are hard ladies all, and your average joe, as a rule, tends to like the occasional big greasy breakfast and an ESSENTIAL part of that is, apparently, bacon. Even my mate who's allergic to pork loves bacon. He loves the smell, and occasionally eats a strip or two before using his epi-pen (or whatever it's called.)

I'm just not a big fan...
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2010, 04:34:59 am »
Sean, where have you been? We thought you'd crawled off and hibernated or something...

Vamps don't bother me. I find the idea of doing a vamp character challenging (which is why I just created one; the trick will be to keep him from turning into a male Seras or a George Hamilton-esque nosfertutu (misspelling intentional ;) ), or a Drake Roby (old, old vamp western)takeoff.   Whatever, lets get off of the coffin...

What makes me an ET? I'm not sure that I'm actually an ET; I think I, or my forebears, were just here before the apes took over. I like ice cream, frozen yoghurt is OK (but I don't want to eat it, teh stuff is nasty after it warms up).

But one of the things that everybody seems to adore and that I cannot stand is things like tomato and V/8 juice. People actually drink the stuff. With great relish, apparently, although I sometimes think, hunh, yeah, ok Kong, you're faking it so Mrs. Kong will think you're still young and strong, right? It ain't workin', dude, she can see you grimace... And the mammals superseded us because they had better brains? good luck with that...

arcwelder

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Reverse the polarity!
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2010, 04:44:41 am »
Booze, Facebook, Twitter, most movies and television.
Mad repairman for the ship of the damned.

alfa1

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2010, 05:00:03 am »
What thing does everyone else seem to like (or large numbers seem to anyway) that you don't?

Coffee.   Hard to understand what other people see in it.  Dont even like the smell.

Tea.  So its hot water with some plants in it.   Cant get excited about that.

arcwelder

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Reverse the polarity!
« Reply #88 on: June 09, 2010, 05:13:56 am »
Coffee.   Hard to understand what other people see in it.  Dont even like the smell.

I used to think so too. It grew on me. Most drip coffee is flat vile, no matter how much cream and sugar you add to it. French press can be quite nice depending on the beans you choose. I like to add some spices (generally cinnamon plus others depending on my mood) and alternative sweeteners like honey can be very interesting. I also usually use milk or cream and not "creamer" of any sort. Good coffee versus bad is a world of difference.

Tea.  So its hot water with some plants in it.   Cant get excited about that.

I used to think so too. It grew on me. Tea bags generally result in hot water with a bit of plant flavor in it. I stopped over-sweetening my tea, and I got a press and found a place that sells a variety of leaves. The result is very interesting, but often delicate and subtle. You can make stronger brews if that's what you like. Good tea versus bad is a world of difference.

Which is not to say that you'll ever like either...some people are just weird. ;)

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher
« Reply #89 on: June 09, 2010, 05:30:59 am »
Yeah, people look at me funny if we go on a 'coffee break' and I get an iced tea. It's summer, why would you want something hot!? I drink hot apple cider in the winter, when meeting someone for 'coffee.'

My dear M. W., would it be so much of a stretch to say that the large burly hairy man who lives in the Canadian Rockies does, in fact, hibernate...?

I'm also not a big fan of Will Ferrell. All those stupid bloody films he make are, with the exception of some few funny lines, are crap. I don't care, his best work that I recall was Stranger Then Fiction

Thor

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Carpe Jugulum
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 09, 2010, 07:20:44 am »
Doin' the 'Decaf Dance'.  I've not had any caffeinated drinks or food (and about 5 hours sleep), so I've got a slight tremor in both hands.  Not much (not noticeable) but enough that I'm an addict with a problem.

I need a coke.
So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

« Reply #91 on: June 09, 2010, 10:34:24 am »
Good to see you again, Sean.  ;D

phang

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #92 on: June 09, 2010, 11:38:54 am »
Doin' the 'Decaf Dance'.  I've not had any caffeinated drinks or food (and about 5 hours sleep), so I've got a slight tremor in both hands.  Not much (not noticeable) but enough that I'm an addict with a problem.

I need a coke.

My name is, Phang, and I'm a caffeine addict. I feel your pain.

Tried to give it up. doesn't work. I should buy stock in Coke.
N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?

Major Wolfram Quicksilver

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing
« Reply #93 on: June 09, 2010, 11:45:49 am »
Sorry folks, but for me tea is the urine of Satan.  I keep it in the house for guests, and make a damn good brew if I say so myself, but I don't like it at all.  It all stems from my first job after leaving school.  Basically I was a grease-monkey/teaboy/general skivvy for a truck firm, and have to make dozens of mugs of the stuff for others during the day.
'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'

Thor

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Carpe Jugulum
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2010, 11:46:13 am »
Same.  I couldn't stand the headaches.  It's not like I even drink that much, either.  My brother used to knock back strong coffees all day, whereas I'll have a couple of small bottles of diet coke in a day.  If I'm really, really tired I'll have a red bull.  Dead on my feet?  I might have a second one a bit later.

I don't have massive amounts of caffeine, but I pretty much need a constant, low-level supply  :-\

Sir A Poiselamppe

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram
    • Facebook
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »
HAve no problems with Tea/coffee however cant stand Ale, Bitter, Lager, Tequila or red wine, must be my sweet tooth

Mr. Hatchett

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Unnaturalist
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2010, 03:40:50 pm »
Yeah, people look at me funny if we go on a 'coffee break' and I get an iced tea. It's summer, why would you want something hot!? I drink hot apple cider in the winter, when meeting someone for 'coffee.'
Drinking a small portion of a hot drink opens up your pores, which cools your body if you're dressed for the heat.  If you're having a cold drink in hot weather, make it something decaffienated so you're hydrating yourself.

I dislike Facebook, and potatoes, and face-to-face conversation, but the only one of those I feel guilty about it the third one - I think I'm doing my daughter a disservice by not cultivating casual relationships or face-to-face social networking.
When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish.

Kiltar

• Gunner
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2010, 05:35:48 pm »
Mine is alcohol - I just don't really like the flavour of any type of alcohol (generally prefer a soft drink or Orange Juice). I will very occasionally have a creamy liquer (usually at Christmas) but one will suffice and that is me over it for the next 12 months! I find most people (especially here in the UK) seem to think that very strange. I guess it helps for a cheaper night out, on the rare occasions where I do venture out in the evenings to such establishments, which is a plus!

K

RoseOak

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Romantic Zoologist
    • Shalotte: Artisan Originals
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »
Vivid sex scenes in otherwise entertaining and non sexual films. I take the time to go make tea, I mean,  I like romance as much as the next girl but sometimes its just not what you want to watch. Whatever happened to the chars going upstairs and shutting the door.

And football, I loath football.

Nikola Tesla

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Angel of Timefoolery
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2010, 06:45:51 pm »
Absolutely!  Caffeine is the habit you absolutely never can kick because even if you do, it's in pretty much everything.  Want something other than ice water or sugar on a hot day?  Options are iced tea, diet coke, iced coffee.  Chocolate, anyone?  Comes with a dose.  Get a headache or a minor injury and if you want an analgesic, comes with caffeine.  Dry air in the workplace means you pretty much have to have something to suck down sitting at your elbow all day, and now that tap water generally tastes like soap that pretty much means coffee.  Decaf?  That weird taste it has...

My brother in law is diabetic and has been told he has to avoid caffeine as part of the management program.  This is in his case, seriously Not Good News.  Of course, he's not all that good about any part of the dietary management, a situation that makes my sister frantic.  There is always the odd worry that we'll get the news he's in the hospital or something.   But I totally understand.  If I ever get diabetes it's a death sentence, because I really doubt I'd be up to managing it well either.

People with heart and blood pressure ailments often get the same news about caffeine; one hopes that as our population ages, the plus side will be that with many more people in that health situation there will be more exploration of other options.