The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 07:21:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II  (Read 182393 times)
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2525 on: April 06, 2011, 11:17:11 am »

"give me one reason why I shouldn't sack you now" came from my bosses mouth. I pleaded my case and explained what happened, but was told I am on my last chance, one more thing to make her unhappy and I am gone. Can I just remind you that the store HASN'T EVEN OPENED YET!?

Hmmmm, their running through the staff checking subservience levels. If they can get a majority of staff on a "Last chance" it is much easier to give them the boot should they seem to be a) a threat, b) there too long, c) overly competitive. I would say it's nothing personal but she sounds like a borderline sadist to me. Lower management tends to attract them. I realise that every job counts at the moment and you have something of a lightly dented psychological state; irrespective check the wanted adds.

These people don't want humans they want nice little robots with no problems. This defective management style does not build a sense of team, loyalty or is in any way good for your long term psychological state. How can you expect support from your managers when they're declaring war on their own staff? If a ***ty customer comes in will this person defend you? Seriously?

Hope for the best, but plan for the worst. For what it's worth you have my sympathy.

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2526 on: April 06, 2011, 11:31:09 am »

"give me one reason why I shouldn't sack you now" came from my bosses mouth

"because if you do, given the way I feel at the moment, it might just push me over the edge and I'd have to beat you senseless with the nearest heavy blunt object..."

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2527 on: April 06, 2011, 12:56:46 pm »

"give me one reason why I shouldn't sack you now" came from my bosses mouth

"because if you do, given the way I feel at the moment, it might just push me over the edge and I'd have to beat you senseless with the nearest heavy blunt object..."

''Because I've recorded all of our conversations and I'll sue you for wrongful dismissal and harresment.''

True story. Unfortunately not mine. My last words to my last employer where actually 'Stick it!'.

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2528 on: April 06, 2011, 01:15:08 pm »

Overzealous parents jumping the gun and scheduling surprise doctor visits for their children without telling them that they had scheduled an appointment untill well after the "24 hours to go" mark meaning if it were cancelled that the copay is still due.

On a slightly different note, Priase Todd for understanding receptionists.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
Alptraum
« Reply #2529 on: April 06, 2011, 01:24:00 pm »

Suspicious.mystic. That seemingly innocuous thing that Norton couldn't remove ended up failing my computer into the ground. It's a complete bitch to remove... ah well.
Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2530 on: April 06, 2011, 03:47:59 pm »

My list of GAHs for the day

My mum has to go into hospital for IV antibiotics due to a nasty chest infection and I'm 5000 miles away;
The water sump under the house has run dry because no one told me the main tank for the area needed repair, so now I have to pay for a private water tanker to fill the sump up. If I'd know I'd have not bothered with laundry etc until the main tank was fixed;
The AC in my bedroom has died and the engineer is not answering his phone, it's in the mid 20s C here overnight and I can't open the widows because the mosquitoes will eat me (according to the locals I'm luxury food for mossies whereas they are just everyday food);
The gas connection in the kitchen is leaking, so has to be switched off until I can figure out how to seal it;
and, the dog has sunburnt ears.
All of the above in just one day, I can't wait to get home.

Visit my Etsy shop. 
Range of cuff links now available http://www.etsy.com/shop/madebypeggy?section_id=10514346
Cravats, Victorian Bow Ties, Cufflinks and Tie Pins.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/misspeggybone
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2531 on: April 06, 2011, 05:12:41 pm »

Hang on, isn't a sump pit there to collect excess water from beneath a property?
If you have a fresh water storage tank then I take it your not attached to mains supply?

Sorry I'm a bit confused.  Huh

My list of GAHs for the day

My mum has to go into hospital for IV antibiotics due to a nasty chest infection and I'm 5000 miles away;
The water sump under the house has run dry because no one told me the main tank for the area needed repair, so now I have to pay for a private water tanker to fill the sump up. If I'd know I'd have not bothered with laundry etc until the main tank was fixed;
The AC in my bedroom has died and the engineer is not answering his phone, it's in the mid 20s C here overnight and I can't open the widows because the mosquitoes will eat me (according to the locals I'm luxury food for mossies whereas they are just everyday food);
The gas connection in the kitchen is leaking, so has to be switched off until I can figure out how to seal it;
and, the dog has sunburnt ears.
All of the above in just one day, I can't wait to get home.

Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2532 on: April 06, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »

Hang on, isn't a sump pit there to collect excess water from beneath a property?
If you have a fresh water storage tank then I take it your not attached to mains supply?

Sorry I'm a bit confused.  Huh
No we're not connected to a mains supply here in India, so we have a sump under the house which is filled from a main water tank (which is supplied by a borehole) in the area.  We have to pump water to a tank on the roof daily from the sump to maintain a water supply to the house.  With the main tank out of action being repaired the sump has run dry.  Hope that makes sense  Smiley
aligov
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #2533 on: April 06, 2011, 05:53:31 pm »

Size 10... well, well, there has been a development.

http://www.newrockworld.com/store2009/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/30719/s/m-314-c1/category/265/

magically no longer available in the outlet section, but still available in size 44 if you pay full price.

So for "not available in that size", should I instead read, "whoops, that shouldn't have been in the sale"?  If I'd got the secong message I'd have still been annoyed, but I'd have understood it, mistakes happen (so what if they were my dream boots?).  What I am now angry about is it appears I am being lied to instead.

Over the years they've had hundreds of pounds out of me in 15 different pairs of New Rocks... I shall be looking elsewhere for my boots from now on, they shall get no more of my money.

Size 10 here also. I have a lovely pair of knee highs in Oxblood which are apparently quite rare. Bought them on a trip to Edinburgh some years back (at the time they were £50 cheaper than London) and still in good order. They still come out of the wardrobe on occasions. Mostly for punk gigs.
 Because of the colour they look like futuristic DM's or something Elton John might have worn in 'Tommy'. Grin

Men talking about boots.........
Best Forum Ever!
i think you may have unintentionally discovered a new form of talking dirty... Grin
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2534 on: April 06, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

My store pens officially tommorrow. I have had the shittest day consisting of finishing other people's half done jobs, trying not to snap at people and not eating. Halfway through today I had a session with my new therapist and in all honesty, I shouldn't have gone back to the store afterwards, I should have gone home. We talked about really deep and important things, and a lot of it touched a raw nerve. I put on a brave face and caried on anyway, which sort of worked until one of the managers spoke to me in a really rude way about something trivial. I walked away from the situation so I didn;t either say something I regret or do something worse, and when I get back I am taken to one side. Apparently swearing in the premises, even when "backstage" is a sackable offence, even when it is done quietly or when you think you are alone. I was told as such and the immortal words "give me one reason why I shouldn't sack you now" came from my bosses mouth. I pleaded my case and explained what happened, but was told I am on my last chance, one more thing to make her unhappy and I am gone. Can I just remind you that the store HASN'T EVEN OPENED YET!?

I honestly do not know if this is a company I can work for long term, we shall see when the custmers come in.....

How's this for a reason: you need staff. Your store opens tomorrow. If you don't have staff, your service will be shit. If your service is shit, nobody will come into your store. If nobody comes into your store, you get no profit. If you get no profit, you go under.
Moral of the story? Sack staff for doing things that really aren't worth sacking them over (swearing? REALLY?! Somebody has an inferiority complex...) and you die. If it were me I would have punched the bitch. And the manager who was a douche to you.
*cough* Does it show that I'm not in the best of moods?
Good luck dealing with her, Darkshines. Let us know how the opening goes.

As a business owner ... you are SPOT ON.  Having a rule such as that destroys the moral of employees.  Swearing in front of customers is one thing, but an o-shit or such behind the scenes must be allowed to keep your flock vented.

Ms Darkshines: I'd begin looking for another job - this one is already doomed.  You seem to be quite a talented and spirited young lady who would be a real asset to any establishment worth a shit (oh f--k ... am I fired now?!)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:41:53 pm by Birdnest » Logged

Onward ho!
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #2535 on: April 06, 2011, 09:25:25 pm »

I spent between 12:30 and 3:30 in a  team meeting (plus 90 Minutes travelling time) the main points of which were....

Don't get bitten by Dogs

and

Beware of Wasps' nests in Meter boxes....  Huh Huh

.. It should be mentioned that I am currently employed as a Gas/Electricity Meter reader....

4 1/2 hours I shan't get back in a hurry.....

Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2536 on: April 07, 2011, 05:30:09 am »

See my next post-this was only ment to go up once-Damn maintenance mode!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:26:13 pm by Xenos » Logged
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2537 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:56 am »

There are so many members of this forum who can probably relate to your symptoms. And don't you mean loaded RAYgun?

/comfortingandmood-lightening!

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #2538 on: April 07, 2011, 10:41:01 am »

I had been waiting since last year to have the boys fix the big colour copier in the front office (the one customers most often use to have big jobs printed for them) even since the transfer belt was changed back then, due to a hole in it, some other supplies eg. the cyan developer were not, making prints the wrong colour, and staticky because the toner isn't sticking properly due to a lack of developer; it's the one machine we have which could handle the demands of the average Worldworks build, plus it's one of our biggest attractions and the colour jobs it should be able to do should be helping us sell more colour MFPs but the quality issues that have been building up since last year will soon start sending potential customers away, now I have been saddled with the task of fixing it, and the aforementioned transfer belt has a leak somewhere that keeps dropping toner all over it and while trying to solve this I got a crescent shaped mark and whilst investigating that I got huge rub marks from one side to the other even though the cloth I used was quite soft and I'd wiped it several times with no ill effect....
Gets worse every time I touch it.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2539 on: April 07, 2011, 11:04:46 am »

No we're not connected to a mains supply here in India, so we have a sump under the house which is filled from a main water tank (which is supplied by a borehole) in the area.  We have to pump water to a tank on the roof daily from the sump to maintain a water supply to the house.  With the main tank out of action being repaired the sump has run dry.  Hope that makes sense  Smiley

Ah! India (sorry your flag mentioned the UK) I was thinking where in the uk would they have an incoming water sump? Wilds of farming Scotland? Wales? The outer hebrides?
Miss Peggy Bone
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2540 on: April 07, 2011, 11:18:53 am »

Ah! India (sorry your flag mentioned the UK) I was thinking where in the uk would they have an incoming water sump? Wilds of farming Scotland? Wales? The outer hebrides?
Sorry I have figured out how to change my flag now to avoid further confusion when I make strange posts  Smiley Believe me the wilds of Scotland seems very preferable at times.  I am looking forward to getting home to England in 11 week and 2 days (I think), time is really dragging which I guess in another GAH!
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2541 on: April 07, 2011, 12:58:19 pm »

This is just one long rant, I had a very bad day yesterday...

/rant
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2542 on: April 07, 2011, 02:47:27 pm »

Mr X! You have published this twice, the psychologist in me veers towards thinking that this is because you need a bit of a chat about it. Which you haven't been getting from the general boards. Loneliness is; by it's nature, the worst of human emotions. This isn't general loneliness however, it is the loneliness wrought from a lack of shared experience and from that; the lack of understanding.

To see why people are treating you in this way, we have to try and understand the nature of those around you. In a nut shell they have no perspective. To truly understand and to a certain extent rationalise your experiences, I feel you need to seek out others who have had similar bad moments.

Much like any other life altering event it requires perspective. A perspective that can only come from understanding. Not in a half ass "you think you've got problems, look at the atrocity suffered by other people, aren't you lucky" kind of way (which appears to be woefully ever present in this day and age) but more in a "I know where your coming from and I understand".

We're NOT playing a game of suffering "top trumps" here, but the act of meeting other people with PTS can help you explore coping mechanisms and ways of lessening your own personal battle in an ignorant world.

Man, it would be so much easier if you could cinema you life experiences and play them back to people with a "And if that happened to you, how would you be doing? Not too well? No S**t, so cut me some slack!" tag line. Unfortunately the world seems to like nice, happy working things and has no time for the effects of the anger, hate, suffering and pain that appear to be so prevalent in our world.

If you can get to a good group PTS meeting then I think it will help. It won't cure, (you've tried chemical forgetfulness and as you have found it is fleeting) but then it is important to understand that you are grieving for a lost world, a lost you in effect. If you can find others to share your grief then possibly you may find a different (not better, but possibly acceptable) way of being.

Pisser is; it's down to you to find it, because without the shared experience, few will properly understand.

I hope you find solace, sooner rather than later, and of the kind you can commute to others.

C
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:51:29 pm by Clym Angus » Logged
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2543 on: April 07, 2011, 05:45:05 pm »

Mr X! You have published this twice, the psychologist in me veers towards thinking that this is because you need a bit of a chat about it. Which you haven't been getting from the general boards. Loneliness is; by it's nature, the worst of human emotions. This isn't general loneliness however, it is the loneliness wrought from a lack of shared experience and from that; the lack of understanding.

To see why people are treating you in this way, we have to try and understand the nature of those around you. In a nut shell they have no perspective. To truly understand and to a certain extent rationalise your experiences, I feel you need to seek out others who have had similar bad moments.

Much like any other life altering event it requires perspective. A perspective that can only come from understanding. Not in a half ass "you think you've got problems, look at the atrocity suffered by other people, aren't you lucky" kind of way (which appears to be woefully ever present in this day and age) but more in a "I know where your coming from and I understand".

We're NOT playing a game of suffering "top trumps" here, but the act of meeting other people with PTS can help you explore coping mechanisms and ways of lessening your own personal battle in an ignorant world.

Man, it would be so much easier if you could cinema you life experiences and play them back to people with a "And if that happened to you, how would you be doing? Not too well? No S**t, so cut me some slack!" tag line. Unfortunately the world seems to like nice, happy working things and has no time for the effects of the anger, hate, suffering and pain that appear to be so prevalent in our world.

If you can get to a good group PTS meeting then I think it will help. It won't cure, (you've tried chemical forgetfulness and as you have found it is fleeting) but then it is important to understand that you are grieving for a lost world, a lost you in effect. If you can find others to share your grief then possibly you may find a different (not better, but possibly acceptable) way of being.

Pisser is; it's down to you to find it, because without the shared experience, few will properly understand.

I hope you find solace, sooner rather than later, and of the kind you can commute to others.

C

Mr Xenos ... take heed of what Clym has said ...
There are lots of options out there that don't include meds and the like. Being constantly shoved into a corner ... umm ... sucks and deserves a solution.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Chin up mate ... we're pulling for ya. 
T. + B.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2544 on: April 07, 2011, 09:25:36 pm »

Fellows, first off, sorry about the double-post; when I first attempted, the stie went into maintenance mode, and I was unaware it had actually succeeded in posting.  After that, I got a bit destracted playing the Sims 2 Old-Testiment style.

As it stands now, I'm on my way out the door for work, so I dont realy have the time to reply like I'd like to all that was said, so for now, I hope a solid "thank you" will suffice.

Expect more from me after 11:30PM ish...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2545 on: April 07, 2011, 10:04:25 pm »

Every winter,when it starts getting cold enough in the evenings for the central heating to be on..I switch it on and the radiators remain frustratingly cold! I bleed the buggers, fiddle with the thermostat..turn it up high..nothing. I always need to get an engineer in to get them working again.

Now..with the warmest two days of the year so far.. I have switched the heating OFF and turned the thermostat down to less than zero..and the f*ckers are all on full blast!! It's making it so hot in my bedroom at night I'm finding it really hard to sleep and  I could grow orchids in my front room!!!

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #2546 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:07 pm »

There are so many members of this forum who can probably relate to your symptoms. And don't you mean loaded RAYgun?

You mean like the one you carried on your driving test Lady A?

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
Frey
Officer
England England

Gravatar

exurah
« Reply #2547 on: April 07, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »

You mean like the one you carried on your driving test Lady A?
Yeah but she curses for hers just being a prop and not fully functional!

Rachel Harrison
Deck Hand

« Reply #2548 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »

My diet. Its too easy to gain weight and too darned hard to get rid of it.

Being den mother to The Usual Suspects is a lot like being den mother to a 1920's gang. Now where is my rolling pin?
rovingjack
Zeppelin Admiral

https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack

« Reply #2549 on: April 07, 2011, 11:21:03 pm »

after waiting 8 months on assurances it turns out that severe crohn's (requiring highly restricted diet, to the tune of eight acceptable know foods dependant on brands and ingrediants of said food), severe gout (further restricting foods, and having hospitalised me once for shock/hypotensive collapse) and aspergers syndrome do not in fact seem at all restrictive enough to warrant financial aid in dealing with hospital bills incurred by the condition. Despite lack of full time work for over four years and no work at all for the past year.

Eight bloody years ago they were willing to help a bit just on the grounds of aspergers alone. graphic symptom feel free to skip
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Suddenly I don't qualify for help! Sure am glad I did charity services a few years back to help you lot out, just so you can pay that bloated tatooed and gold wearing creature (nothing wrong with tatoos and gold if you earn the money for them and don't expect to be fed for free so you can spend government granted stipend on adorning yourself or your bloody cars rims) out front to have a third child while never working a day in her life but a person who accumulates skills and wishes to apply them towards helping the community in exchange for just enough to sustain his life will have to do it on his own.

What exactly am I paying my taxes for if I don't get to depend on help when I need it. I sure as hell aint gonna be likely to live to retire at this rate. I'll be luck to make it past 55. And if I do it won't be much of a life.

When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 [102] 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: