The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 07:19:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II  (Read 182392 times)
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2425 on: March 31, 2011, 06:20:27 pm »

I've Just finished reading Flirt and Bullet. My gaaah is that after the hope that was raised in the  last one that we might start getting decent plots, zombies and proper baddies like the first  12/13 books in series its gone back to 200/250 pages of weird vampire/werewolf sex and politics.

crookedfingers
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

"What We Know of the Ether" - 1906

« Reply #2426 on: March 31, 2011, 07:39:33 pm »

I've just lost the gummy thing off my earphones. I can't find it, and they're the plug kind, so its mighty uncomfy without!
Its the little things that are the most annoying Angry

Teleportation! See me go from nought to zero in zero seconds!
GarethG
Zeppelin Overlord
Wales Wales

Wyrd bið ful aræd

« Reply #2427 on: March 31, 2011, 08:41:08 pm »

Wait, what?

You can't use a FAC for ID? Can you?

Huh

Not to start a modern firearms debate, but there isn't a more secure form of identification in current general use in the U.K. Probably. You need to satisfy several identity checks before you can obtain one and it has your photo, name, address and date of birth on it.

Gareth

You, sir! Make an effort!
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2428 on: March 31, 2011, 09:56:45 pm »

I assume that FAC = fire arms card.

In these parts (where they will give you a gun if you sign up for sat. tv) the requirements are similar ... solid proof of ID and a background check are required to buy any form of firearm.  Even a .22 .  You don't get a card though, nor are you required to prove registration of a firearm.  BUT ... that's here in rural nowhere land.

The background check to purchase a firearm is nearly as thorough as getting a passport.  Good thing too. (also not any form of political discussion regarding guns)

Some places will accept invoices and/or cheques as a form of ID.  Most banks have some form of alternate method to verify that you are you, such as secret questions and the like.

Onward ho!
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #2429 on: March 31, 2011, 10:00:15 pm »

Close. Firearm certificate.  Smiley

Wait, what?

You can't use a FAC for ID? Can you?

Huh

Not to start a modern firearms debate, but there isn't a more secure form of identification in current general use in the U.K. Probably. You need to satisfy several identity checks before you can obtain one and it has your photo, name, address and date of birth on it.

Gareth

Alright, good point.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #2430 on: March 31, 2011, 10:24:06 pm »

I remember having a similar problem with my bank, I'd lost my bank card and needed money for food... having neither a driving licence, nor passport I went through a few of their security checks and finally the lady behind the counter asked me for my signature.  I signed the slip.  She looked at it and back at the screen and replied I'm sorry the signatures don't match.  So I resigned it a bit more neatly and a bit less in the style of, "I sign a few hundred forms a day".  Still the signature didn't match.  Now, believe it or not I know what my signature looks like, she apologised profusely bt said that the signatures still didn't match and bank policy at the time meant no money.

Keeping my cool as much as possible I asked if I could possibly see a manager, a couple of minutes later a manager appears, there's quite a queue by this point as there are only two windows open.  I explain the problem to him, I tell him I appreciate that the lady can't help me any further and I'm hoping he can exercise some discretion as I have satisfied all of the other security requirements.

The chap asks me to sign the paper again... part way through I pause, ask for another slip and sign it the way I did when I opened the account at 15 and ask if that is a match.  They both brighten up and say that's exactly it... at which point my face (as my friend described it) looked like a thunderstorm was rolling in.  Three years after opening the account, my signature was no longer the same and I submitted a change of signature form.  Now five years later I find out that despite having a form confirming the signature change they had never changed it.  In a slightly louder voice (as I was getting a little stressed at that point and I wanted to make sure the other customers overheard), I asked if they had not changed my signature, why were any of the couple of hundred cheques I'd written authorised?  "Oh we only spot check cheque signatures, one in every few thousand or so".  Cue explosion, white faced manager stammering that he can certainly authorise me to withdraw any ammount I like and will personally see to my signature change, perhaps I'd like to step into his office and would like a drink while things are being sorted out?

So all worked out well in the end and any time following that the bank needed to confirm my identity after that I simply used to get them to bring that manager down as he would vouch for me.  

However now I'm in a new city I'm having these issues again, more to come as I've just noticed my provisional expires at the end of May, time to find my passport, lol.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2431 on: April 01, 2011, 12:20:16 am »

Major, things must have changed in the banking industry, my first job involved checking signatures on chequies, it was certainly not the policy of the Co-op bank to just 'spot check' signatures. I rather think banks have changed somewhat in thirty years Smiley

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #2432 on: April 01, 2011, 12:22:08 am »

*ahem* 13 years, I'm not that old.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2433 on: April 01, 2011, 12:27:01 am »

*ahem* 13 years, I'm not that old.

I am not casting nasturtiums Major. My first job with the Co-op bank was thirty years ago and part of it was to compare signatures with samples...would that the rest of the job was so interesting. I soon found I was not cut out for a job with the banking industry.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2434 on: April 01, 2011, 12:44:19 am »

Interesting note on the signature thing:  I've taken to signing things as inconsistently as possible.  Usually my signature is barely legible, but I also put a bit "flare" into the first letters of my first and last names, so I can recognize anything I've legitimately signed.  If two of my signatures look too much alike, then I call shenanigans.
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #2435 on: April 01, 2011, 01:53:31 am »

Heh, after that conversation with my bank, the next 20 cheques I needed to write (sent to people I know, just in case there were any problems) were signed by a variety of cartoon characters, needless to say we were all unsurprised when all 20 were honoured and no follow up was ever made, lol.
Frey
Officer
England England

Gravatar

exurah
« Reply #2436 on: April 01, 2011, 10:11:21 am »

For crying out loud! I've just taken the car to the garage and thought I'd be able to have a violin practice at home while I waited for the call to say its ready. Only left my violin in the boot haven't I?! Oh well.

Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2437 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:37 am »

Heh, after that conversation with my bank, the next 20 cheques I needed to write (sent to people I know, just in case there were any problems) were signed by a variety of cartoon characters, needless to say we were all unsurprised when all 20 were honoured and no follow up was ever made, lol.

Daffy Duck that fraudulent cheque cashing bounder! Get out the orange sauce!

Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #2438 on: April 01, 2011, 10:27:00 am »

I've just lost the gummy thing off my earphones. I can't find it, and they're the plug kind, so its mighty uncomfy without!
Its the little things that are the most annoying Angry

Me too - it was bright purple and I felt it come off  but find it? Noooo.....

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2439 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:38 pm »

Sewing. It's now two weeks till my birthday party and my bodice and skirt MUST be finished.  Finished most of the skirt last night, but after anylizing the bodice, the bloody thing has to have the sleeves ripped out entirely so I can take a larger seam allowance because the shoulders are starting too far down. Needless to say this does not make me happy. Those sleeves were a LOT of work! And I've even gotten the armholes sewn closed! GAAAAAHHH!! 

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #2440 on: April 01, 2011, 01:30:03 pm »

Work!!!

Is it really that difficult to pass me accurate information? Instead, I have to guess, estimate and hope. Then, when it all goes belly up, I get told to get off my arse and go and get the information which somebody else is paid to supply to me! It got me out of the office for an afternoon, but is hardly showing us in a good light to our customer!

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #2441 on: April 01, 2011, 02:10:51 pm »

The cold that's snuck up on me. I don't usually get them. It's collided with my vanity so I've been using make-up on my nose, which of course just wipes off every time I use a tissue. On that note I seem to have run out of tissues. Blast.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2442 on: April 01, 2011, 02:15:02 pm »

Fun and shenanigans trying to draw my floorplan survey up to scale.  Either a) my friend and I made a really p!*s-poor job of surveying the kitchen, or b) it's horrifically skewed.  Personally I think it's a combination of the two.  Especially as every other room has drawn up well so far.  Considering the number of ins and outs on each wall though I'm not surprised it's proving a struggle to draw.  Oh well; at least it seems to slot into the overall plan (I'm drawing each room on individual pieces of paper, then tracing them to form one floor plan of the whole building).  Que drawing the fifth and last room of the ground floor, then finding the whole thing is wrong, no doubt  Roll Eyes

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Virginia Vixinoi
Gunner

« Reply #2443 on: April 01, 2011, 04:02:37 pm »

For crying out loud! I've just taken the car to the garage and thought I'd be able to have a violin practice at home while I waited for the call to say its ready. Only left my violin in the boot haven't I?! Oh well.
i have to have my car serviced too!  rrrrrggggg
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2444 on: April 01, 2011, 08:19:43 pm »

Third panic attack of the day. It's very quickly becoming less and less funny now.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
The Kernel
« Reply #2445 on: April 01, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »

The novelty really does wear off very quickly - sympathies
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2446 on: April 01, 2011, 09:59:56 pm »

I learned today that my Mum thinks Chropodists just cut toenails....how can any one have lived for 88 years and still be so ignorant?
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2447 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:00 pm »

I learned today that my Mum thinks Chropodists just cut toenails....how can any one have lived for 88 years and still be so ignorant?
Wait... they do other stuff Huh
~Longeye~
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #2448 on: April 01, 2011, 11:03:05 pm »

Although John Betjeman asked for friendly bombs to drop on Slough, I think an airstrike on Thornton Heath would be a pretty good idea at the moment...

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2449 on: April 01, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »

I've just tried a tot of rum (for those who don't know, it was a drink served to sailors in the Royal Navy until 1971).  Couple of shots of rum and a liberal dose of water.  Some recipes also call for some sugar and a squeeze of lemon, although I didn't put those two in. 

All I can say is this; never again shall I think my grandfather is exaggerating when he talks about how awful the drink was.  About the only positive attribute of it is that, after a fashion, it will get you drunk.  Though you'd probably retch from the taste of it long before reaching any state of inebriation.  GAH, what a horrible taste/feeling it has left in my mouth. 

Moral: Rum is a nice drink.  Just water it down with something other than water  Undecided 
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 [98] 99 100 101 102 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: