The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 07:14:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Things that make you go... GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!! Mk. II  (Read 182390 times)
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2400 on: March 29, 2011, 11:51:25 pm »

GAAAAAAH!

There's worms in me brain ... the little beasties are chasing away my ideas.  evil effers.

I will kill them with .... something likely illegal in some parts. 

... stares at screen.

Onward ho!
Virginia Vixinoi
Gunner

« Reply #2401 on: March 30, 2011, 12:46:30 am »

It's my birthday tomorrow. My 18th birthday. The first milestone birthday we've had since Gran died so suddenly. This appears to not be affecting me well, and some people forget that I am bound to be a bit stressed this week, and sad, because I miss her, and have already had 1 massive panic attack about it so far. I don't need the added stress of people telling me I'm stressed.

*hugs from across the pond*  I am sorry hon, shiny thoughts your way!
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #2402 on: March 30, 2011, 05:17:41 am »

A minor frustration....

At one of my classes last week, I was discussing the change in use of hats in society. One of my students mentioned he had a tophat, so we both said we would wear our toppers this week. I came to class dressed in my minimal steampunk gear (hat, waistcoat, watch and boots, carrying a Gladstone/doctor's bag) but he sent me an apology because he had to be elsewhere after all. I had even managed to base aspects of the class on "Around the world in 80 days" and the one student who I was particularly trying to encourage wasn't there!

At least the rest of the students seemed to understand the points I was making [1] and it was fun for me.

Sorontar
[1] The class was about IT and its influence (or not) on society, when compared to other technologies like books and television.

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #2403 on: March 30, 2011, 06:31:34 am »

I am now on my fourth nosebleed in two days, if I include the one that woke me up at 6 this morning  Undecided

This is getting past the 'Gah!' stage and toward the 'this is worrying' one...
If they are common for you, as with helios, no need to worry about it. I get them from stress, heat, temperature drops, and changes in air pressure so it's odder not to have one Roll Eyes

Well, that's a load off my mind. Thank you for your insight.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2404 on: March 30, 2011, 08:59:59 am »

On the positive side the nosebleeds have stopped... I hope.  I didn;t end up painting the bathroom red this morning, at any rate.

My Gah today, though, is trying to organise an appointment for surveying this lodge house.  I've been trying to get in touch with the tenant since Monday, and everytime I call the museum he works at he's either just left or on half-day working.  

The other Gah is trying to organise the equipment for said survey...

~Edit~

First Gah sorted.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:10:26 am by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2405 on: March 30, 2011, 09:20:23 am »

Two hours of sleep, and I'm going to be wide awake for the rest of the night, thanks to a truly horrific nightmare. 

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.  Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.  And we shall flow a river for to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.  In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
Frey
Officer
England England

Gravatar

exurah
« Reply #2406 on: March 30, 2011, 12:32:27 pm »

Nightmares suck.  Sad

Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2407 on: March 30, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »

Woke up this morning to discover that the Uveitis in my eye has flared up again! I've been plagued with this off and on for the past 25 years.  Although I wasn't in as much discomfort as I know it can be and my vision wasn't impaired I thought it best to pay a visit to Moorfields (the original 'Site for Sore Eyes') where I have a file like a phone directory!. Turns out is was worse than I thought. I have drops I need to put in four times a day for a week..then three times a day for a week then twice and then once also some other drops three times a day for a week and ointment every night  before bed for a month!
I think I got off lightly! The doctor was also concerned with something in my right eye and was concidering giving me what is innocently called a 'PI' ..that's where they burn a hole in the back of my eye with a frickin' laser! And yes...it is as unpleasant as it sounds..I had it before 15 years ago.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #2408 on: March 30, 2011, 01:13:14 pm »

Can't get the Rabbids go home music out of my head. Whenever I do my 4 year old daughter reminds me, she's like a skipping record of pure meme.
Do, do, do, dodododo, ba, da da, badadada!

BAAAAAAA!

Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #2409 on: March 30, 2011, 05:06:43 pm »

Not sure this belongs here, but I'll explain:  Got home about an hour ago from work, just started the Easter hols.  Just about to relax with some piece and quiet when I could hear a woman sreaming, shouting and swearing at the top of her voice over my back wall.  This wall backs on to a cemetery, where all this noise was carrying on.  I thought 'Flaming great, good start to the break this is'.  Went upstairs to have a better look, thinking it was a tramp/pisshead going off on one, only to see a middle aged woman going off on one bigtime to a kid who looked to be about 12 yrs old.  She was giving him the bollocking of a lifetime.  Being nosey, I opened the window to hear what she was saying to who I thought was her son, so I could relate it to the police/social services when I called them.  As I listened, it turned out the kid wasn't her son, but some scrote she'd caught messing about with the things left on the kiddie's graves section, including her actual son's grave, kicking flowers over, throwing stuff around, etc..  The kid was shaking in fear, tears running down his face, crying how sorry he was, but she was having none of it.  This went on for about fifteen minutes before she let him go.  I've done nothing, and don't think I will.

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Augustus Longeye
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2410 on: March 30, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »

Hmm... no Major, I think you're right. That's crossing a boundary that should be left well alone. Never a good start to a break...
~Longeye~
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2411 on: March 30, 2011, 05:26:12 pm »

Sounds like he got exactly what he asked for.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2412 on: March 30, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »

No, what he was asking for was a horsewhipping and other related forms of violence acceptable only when dealing with such scum of the earth. 

My current Gah is that the BBC pop-out radio player is broken.  Thus I'm missing my daily dose of Vincent Price on Radio 7  Angry
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2413 on: March 30, 2011, 06:12:20 pm »

I meant being brought to retribution directly by his victim. She got to do what she saw fit.
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2414 on: March 30, 2011, 07:07:47 pm »

Oh I agree with that; merely expressing regret that the victim wasn't armed in some fashion.
Frey
Officer
England England

Gravatar

exurah
« Reply #2415 on: March 30, 2011, 08:58:21 pm »

It is a little low isn't it? But then kids seem to be brought up thinking that they can do what they want to and get away with it, there is such a namby pamby idea of disciplining them that most of the time they do. There have been times during archery sessions at old work where I have stopped and made a child apologize for their actions and language either towards other participants or the equipment, while the parents look on with glazed over eyes shrugging at me.

Anywhoo, I got a parking ticket from work (big B&Q store) for parking my car for longer than 2 hours!
Ezra Hogbin
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Sir Hilary Codswallop, at your service

« Reply #2416 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:44 am »

No, what he was asking for was a horsewhipping and other related forms of violence acceptable only when dealing with such scum of the earth. 

I fully agree. Even with school age children myself, I still feel corporal punishment should be brought back. The current lack of self discipline, I feel, can be directly traced back to its demise.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2417 on: March 31, 2011, 12:10:21 pm »

Going for a walk on a windy day and nearly being blown over because my weak right leg hates anything unpredictable- like a gust of wind. I'm sure I must have looked like a mime actor, wildly exaggerating the effects of the wind!

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2418 on: March 31, 2011, 12:15:17 pm »

Running a feaver.  Both myself, AND my loverly daughter are running feavers.  Both low grade, too.  Hers topped out at 102.2, mine at 101 even.  Her's is going back down, right now it's 99 even, mine's 100.1.

So, here in the O'Sullivan household, we all feel like crap. 

Sod it all.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2419 on: March 31, 2011, 04:30:52 pm »

Only now as I sit in the dark drawing up floorplans of a Victorian lodge house at 1:50 scale do I realise which measurements I didn't take this morning that would have been helpful and possibly saved my sanity.  Gah.   
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #2420 on: March 31, 2011, 04:36:29 pm »

An eighteen foot column of black spoke coming from the garden of a house a few doors down.  Their rubbish has been building up for the last few months as the two of them seem to create about three times the amount that will fit in a wheelie bin per fortnight and they don't recycle either.  So my guess is they're burning household waste in the back garden... whilst we're not in a smoke free zone I'm thinking there is something inherently wrong in this, especially considering the amount of bangs coming from the direction of the fire.  

Fortunately I know the non-emergency number for our local firestation and I notice that one of the firebrigade vans has just pulled up at the same time as a council van.  Have at thee, sir.
Captain Braid
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2421 on: March 31, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »

Finding out that our works Internet filter system blocked Google this afternoon.
The reason given:-

"Unpermitted Access; Search Engine"
[/b]

So how are we supposed to seach for unusual error code and conditions?

Igor pass my Crystal Ball, please.

Experienced enough to know my limitations,
Old enough to know better,
Relaxed enough not to care.
AlegrahEredschtadt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #2422 on: March 31, 2011, 06:01:40 pm »

Captain, my own computer filter blocks google images so I can sympathize. How am I to do projects, hm?!

Read the musings of a mentally unstable traveler: http://symphonicallymorbid.blogspot.com/

~ ~ ~

I dare mention my bloomers in public.

Join me in the Chatroom! http:/
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2423 on: March 31, 2011, 06:05:46 pm »

I popped into one of the big name high street banks today, I wanted to transfer some of my money from my current bank into another unrelated bank (what with the recent banking troubles and all...).  All was going well until the point I was asked about proof of ID - OK, no problem there.... Or so I thought.

First I was asked for my photo ID driving licence - I have'nt got one, only the old paper type. And that is still registered at another address (Family member. It's were my cars are usually kept and registered at, and it's only 2 mins walk away...so seemed pointless to change to my current address). They got snooty and told me I "could be fined for that!"  Undecided

Secondly I was asked for my passport. Haven't got one. Ever. Probably never will. (I'm an active landlord - I never get the CHANCE to take a holiday!)  Roll Eyes

Next I was asked proof of 'Working / Family Tax Credits". Nope! I'm working for myself and single.  Sad

...Then proof of JSA (job seekers allowance / Dole money).  Again, I'M WORKING - I don't get any benefits.  Huh

Now this is the one that left me somewhat bemused:

Branch advisor: " Do you own a gun?!"

Me: "...'Scuse me??"

BA: "a gun.... you could use that!"

Me   Huh  "Er...isn't armed robbery a bit excessive just to put money INTO a bank?......"  Huh

BA:  " I...  the licence, you can use a gun licence for ID..."

Guess what the answer to that question was.... Roll Eyes  I left at this point, I sensed we were wasting each other's time here.

So It seems if you work / have an income, but don't take foreign holidays, have any form of credit history, Drive, claim any state benefits, and shoot small furry creatures / go insane and shoot other humans at the weekend - then you can't open a UK bank account, ISA etc, etc.  

Sorry for not being a gun toting benefit scrounger with huge debts and a spanish villa, then... Angry

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #2424 on: March 31, 2011, 06:11:53 pm »

Wait, what?

You can't use a FAC for ID? Can you?

Huh
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 103 104   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: