The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 03, 2020, 04:51:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "How Was Your Day" Thread II  (Read 159093 times)
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2400 on: April 03, 2011, 02:58:29 pm »

Got an assignment done, looking at getting another one done tonight as well so I ca go in tomorrow and be all NER LOOK WHAT I DID! and hope I can blag a few days off because I will be next to no use at college whilst Little Sister and Mother are in hospital.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #2401 on: April 03, 2011, 07:47:26 pm »

I deleted my facebook account as my work threatened to sack me on the spot if they found any posts about it on facebook. It's easier all round this way. You can still catch me through Mr C's account.

Well unless you added your work to your friends list ( which would be really silly)  they wouldn't see any posts about it. And you could have used your facebook to promote sales at your store by inviting people to come in and browse.

I'd have politely informed them of the latter at the very least.

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
The Kernel
« Reply #2402 on: April 03, 2011, 09:03:18 pm »

Mothering Sunday here in the UK, so treated SWMBO to the first family Bar-B-Que of the year.

However she's just lit a candle for someone she knew (distantly) who would appear to have killed herself last week. Cry
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2403 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:58 pm »

I treated myself to holographic sights for the target pistol.  What a relief to my aging eyes ... I can see the target, as well as hitting it!  It looks pretty cool too.

Our grandson spent the weekend as well - good times.

Onward ho!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2404 on: April 04, 2011, 08:32:08 pm »

Well, my day was rather dull until a moment ago when I learned that the pilot for The Borgias (starring Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia !!) was aired yesterday. Now I know what I'll watch later in the evening.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2405 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:42 pm »

Spent the day ordering Victorian wing collar shirts, waitcoats, cravats and an 1880's Western style frock coat.

Then put in a bid on a full length leather 'drovers' coat.

A new wardrobe and empty bank balance in the same day. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2406 on: April 04, 2011, 11:51:24 pm »

Spent the day ordering Victorian wing collar shirts, waitcoats, cravats and an 1880's Western style frock coat.

Then put in a bid on a full length leather 'drovers' coat.

A new wardrobe and empty bank balance in the same day. Grin

Rockula, if you are after a drovers coat or 'drizabone' then talk to us Aussies, they are much cheaper here.

My day ended well when I got home from work to a parcel from America containing a leather flying helmet from eBay.

Very good quality work, full leather, lots of metal buckles, ear cup zips, promptly delivered, and cheap too.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2407 on: April 05, 2011, 12:49:50 am »

I deleted my facebook account as my work threatened to sack me on the spot if they found any posts about it on facebook. It's easier all round this way. You can still catch me through Mr C's account.

Well unless you added your work to your friends list ( which would be really silly)  they wouldn't see any posts about it. And you could have used your facebook to promote sales at your store by inviting people to come in and browse.

I'd have politely informed them of the latter at the very least.

Apparently they can also read posts if I have ever mentioned the company name in full (as they can search for it) or have it added as a job under my profile. I really can't afford to get the sack right now, so I just created a new work-free account. My new name is Darkshines Steampunk and it is strictly for friends, steam etc only, not work!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2408 on: April 05, 2011, 02:10:05 pm »

Rockula, if you are after a drovers coat or 'drizabone' then talk to us Aussies, they are much cheaper here.

Thanks. I'm aware of the Aussie Drizabone dusters. I have one in brown. But having contacts with the Essex H.O.G. I'm actually in a bidding war to get a 2nd hand but immaculate, full length, black leather version for, probably, around £50. It's not a very fierce bidding war. We all know each other. Grin
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2409 on: April 05, 2011, 02:46:37 pm »

Last lecture of the term finished two and three-quarter hours ago.  I'm now officially on Easter holiday  Smiley

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2410 on: April 05, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »

See the GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH thread. -.-
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2411 on: April 05, 2011, 05:43:05 pm »

I knew yesterday was just too good.

As some of you might know, I have a something of a reversed biorhythm (or lack thereof altogether) and sleep mostly during the day. Today I couldn't fall asleep until about 8am, which would be fine, had my mother not woken me up and told me to run some errand for her in the city. Having had only an hour and a half of sleep, no breakfast and having done a stupid thing of taking a pretty thick jacket in 19 degrees Celsius weather, I got dizzy on the way back, fell down and injured the back of my head.

I didn't pass out, though, so I got up and noticed I was bleeding quite profusely, so I called me an ambulance that took me to the ER where I spent the next 4 hours mostly waiting.

Good news are: Neurology was good, cranial x-ray showed no hints of fractures, blood pressure was excellent (120/90 -- dunno if the rest of the world uses the same marking system as we do) and blood sugar level was a bit low, but not critically.

Now I have 4 stitches in a 3cm wound, head wrapped as if a cartoon anvil landed on it and have to rest for the next 7 days, with a break on thursday to change the bandages and removing the stitches 5 days later.

The highlight of it all was that I can pick up my cranial x-rays in 4 years and that a very nice paramedic lady helped me up the stairs of our apartment building.

Now I'm off to sleep.

(Edit: Forgot to hit "Post" before I fell asleep >.>)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2412 on: April 06, 2011, 06:36:11 am »

Shhhh!

Everybody be really quiet - we don't want to wake LukeHogbin

today was a day like any other mundane day in the office so nothing to report, @ LukeHogbin - very sorry to hear about your fall, please post us a pic of said head in bandages, and I hope you sleep well and recover swiftly.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2413 on: April 06, 2011, 07:44:26 pm »

If I recall correctly, you are supposed to be woken up periodically when you have a head injury....  *lights fuse on stick of dynamite*

Tongue

My day was so-so.  Woke up with really bad headache, took some painkillers, had a couple hours more sleep (usually helps my headaches).  Headache was much better but still lingering (still got it...), so  I decided to get out of the house and browse through the local charity shops. Found I nice 'Victorian' looking set of 6 teacups / saucers / tea plates, a creamer jug, sugar bowl, and a bread (cake) plate. All for the price of £5.  Smiley  One cup and the sugar bowl had one small old hairline crack each, nothing too serious. I intend to use them as a working set for tea / coffee when I have friends round anyway. (There is no markings, look to be roughly 1930's manufacture, seems to be quite cheaply made (though it is Porcelain), and no real value.....so for £5, why not? Wink  )

Another slightly bigger bowl (dunno what it is, 'slop bowl'?...) had just been chucked in the trash, which was sadly broken (in sevearl pieces) but luckily not "repaired" with glue, so I can at least fix it properly. Nice clean breaks and no chipping / missing bits, should repair quite well.  Smiley

Quite happy with that little find.  (Oh, and they've all just survived a quick clean in the dishwasher....)  Grin

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2414 on: April 06, 2011, 07:57:36 pm »

My first day of properly working was amazing! I got a hug and a kiss from Theo, sold items to everyone I fitted and got lots of praise! A world away from yesterday!
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #2415 on: April 06, 2011, 10:00:07 pm »

I have a suspicion that the management were massively stressed out about everything. The day before an event like that I'm not surprised they, shall we say, "left something to be desired in the personal relations department". Doesn't excuse what they said or did, but it is understandable. Hopefully now they've seen that you're good at your job, that day one wasn't the disaster they'd been afraid of, and that everything seems to be going OK things should settle down.

I do wonder if your manager isn't a "people person". I've had managers like that. They get you to do your job by telling you to do your effing job. Not everyone responds well to that style- and it especially doesn't help if you never see them outside of work, nor if there isn't another manager who can at least play good-cop bad-cop with them. (If that makes any sense. It did in my head at least.)

Reunite Gondwanaland!
The Kernel
« Reply #2416 on: April 06, 2011, 10:13:08 pm »

I start a 10 day holiday today, great you say but:
one day will be spent in court (summoned as a witness)
one day will be spent in a Post Graduate School Governors' Meeting at the Deanary
one day will be spent at work (staffing crisis)
one day will be spent delivering my eldest to a school trip.
one day will be spent collecting my eldest from a school trip

I can't help but feel it would be easier to stay at work!
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2417 on: April 07, 2011, 12:47:40 am »

*snip*

@ LukeHogbin - very sorry to hear about your fall, please post us a pic of said head in bandages, and I hope you sleep well and recover swiftly.

Thank you for good wishes, but I must politely decline the photo op. I don't like having my picture taken as it is, let alone in this particular condition.

If I recall correctly, you are supposed to be woken up periodically when you have a head injury....  *lights fuse on stick of dynamite*

Tongue

I'm perfectly capable of waking up periodically on my own, since I can only manage 3-4 hours of shut-eye at a time. And keep dynamite away from me, I might get hungry.

Day was boring. Cancelled my dentist appointment, slept, browsed the net, slept, browsed the net some more. Since I'm supposed to be in bed, I can't even play Minecraft because it works with a whooping 1FPS on this laptop. >.>
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2418 on: April 07, 2011, 02:27:05 am »

Tongue

I'm perfectly capable of waking up periodically on my own, since I can only manage 3-4 hours of shut-eye at a time. And keep dynamite away from me, I might get hungry.

Ah yes, I can identify with that. I'm also an insomniac who tends to sleep in the day.  For the past couple of months I've been mostly awake during the day (so many things to do to earn a living...), but to me it's like working a nightshift.

As for the awake at night / sleep in day thing, it seems it's linked to a specific mutation (a "long" and "short" version - you are likely to have the short version) of a single gene, PER3, and other evidence pointing towards another possible cause in the FBXL3 gene.
The upside is that it's not your fault (it's genetic!) and your not just simply lazy or watch too much tv / internet / gaming / etc, but the downside is that there's nothing much you can do about it, and people probably won't believe you...  Roll Eyes

Ah well, welcome to the 'Reversed Circadian Pattern Club' anyway!  Cheesy

SS
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2419 on: April 07, 2011, 03:13:52 am »

It's actually due to my depression, but your explanation certainly sounds interesting. I must admit, though, that I don't know much about genetics and such.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2420 on: April 07, 2011, 04:22:07 pm »

It's actually due to my depression, but your explanation certainly sounds interesting. I must admit, though, that I don't know much about genetics and such.

You may find that the two are linked, a disrupted sleeping / circadian patern really screws with depression - sort of self reinforcing in both directions... Finding a way to get some control over one may help with the other and break the cycle. Easier said than done, I know...  Undecided

My day has been better, my headache has finally gone.  Still feeling a bit groggy from all the Codine and lack of sleep, but a million times better than with the headache...  Smiley  Hopefully I won't get a repeat performance for a few weeks (they always return, longest gap has been 6 weeks).

Need to get the vacuum cleaner sorted out (blockage somewhere, think it's a nail / screw), my floors really need a going over... That's my task for the day.

SS
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2421 on: April 07, 2011, 04:29:50 pm »

Sat outside in the sun, on the grass, reading Michael McIntyre's autobiography. Day has been alright, if Mother would stop critisising my every movement.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2422 on: April 07, 2011, 05:40:32 pm »

that I can pick up my cranial x-rays in 4 years

Four years!? When I had both my hips replaced some 20-odd years back I got to keep all my x-rays straight away. I have a huge stack on x-rays showing various stages of the processes I had done (the original operations followed by  several revisons and a couple of dislocations). They look quite cool with all the metal bits and screws and bolts. Mind you..I do have private medical insurance and said to the doctor 'can I keep these?' and he said 'sure'. I also asked if I could keep the bits of femur they removed to put the metal ones in and he said "if you want them, sure!"
It's quite amusing when people come to my house and pick up these odd looking, dried out objects from the bowl on the shalf and ask "What are these?" and I say 'My hips'

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
theairman
Officer

The Steampunk Aesthete

« Reply #2423 on: April 07, 2011, 07:18:34 pm »

Day trip to Brighton went fairly well. Nice oysters for lunch, if you're ever in Brighton do visit Griddle and Finn, best fish place in the town! Not at all your fish/chips/vinegar/newspaper place though, more crab and chips! Then walked round town looking into all the usual vintage stores, though not in much detail today. Took some nice photos though (which are up on the blog in my signiature). Now to revise for a French exam next term while watching Mad Men.

mostserindipitous.tumblr.com

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company and reflection finish him."
John Locke (1632-1704)
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2424 on: April 07, 2011, 07:32:09 pm »

Day trip to Brighton went fairly well. Nice oysters for lunch, if you're ever in Brighton do visit Griddle and Finn, best fish place in the town! Not at all your fish/chips/vinegar/newspaper place though, more crab and chips! Then walked round town looking into all the usual vintage stores, though not in much detail today. Took some nice photos though (which are up on the blog in my signiature). Now to revise for a French exam next term while watching Mad Men.

And so starts the quest for fishes for dinner ... a nice plate of fishes, some freshly made chips, some slaw and a nice ale or two will make my answer to this thread as 'Yes, Good Times were had this evening'
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: