The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 07:50:09 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "How Was Your Day" Thread II  (Read 159733 times)
The Kernel
« Reply #2375 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:42 pm »

Good
The whole day had been allocated for a deanary panel, assessing the progression of skills for the post grads.
They occur anually for each post-grad so cluster around July/August, but with maternity leave and re-sits there is a small number scattered around the rest of the year.
We had a whole day allocated, anticipating three interviews with failing candidates pleading for an extension to training and another chance at the final qualifying exam, as well as the sign offs for those still in training BUT THEY ALL HAD PASSED; much celebration all round, the review turned into a very brief rubber stamping exercise and I had the afternoon off Smiley

Used the opportunity to clear up a load of admin. but working from home - WIN
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2376 on: March 30, 2011, 06:05:54 pm »

It was very good.  I got a few details sorted out for my day of Victorian lodge-house surveying tomorrow, spent a good three hours with my coursemates shooting the breeze and eating cake, and then spent an hour or so doing research in the Bodleian library for my project.  And as is always the case, one hour of research turns up more questions than answers, although in this instance it also put a few things straight- 'Museum' lodge historically had little, if anything, to do with the Museum it's now part of.  'Clarendon Lodge' would be a more apt name for it...

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

How unfortunate...

« Reply #2377 on: March 30, 2011, 07:30:29 pm »

WARNING : RANT.  Angry

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2378 on: March 30, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Best.
Birthday.
EVER.

Got my tattoo done, as soon as I am not posting from my phone I'll put up a photo or two! Had a fantastic meal with the family, in honour of our one missing guest. Also got an offer that I can't refuse Smiley Brilliant day <3

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Birdnest
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #2379 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:28 pm »

Congratulations, Miss Ava!!

and today, I became a Captain of an Airship.

My first order is to drop water balloons on cars.  Well ... (!) hop to it! Get those water bombs together. Grin

Onward ho!
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2380 on: March 30, 2011, 11:16:50 pm »

Got up at 11. Went shopping for food. Cooked my Mum some tomato soup and some chicken and dumpling casserole. Drank wine with a friend and speculated on the reasons for Life.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2381 on: March 31, 2011, 01:02:39 am »

A great day in that we got our official registration of business name for our store.

and it is...

the manufactory  

Still can't believe that no-one else in Australia had previously registered it.

So now we get to open a store that sells reclaimed industria, antique kitchenalia, science apparatus and other paraphanalia to those who wish to decorate their abodes with it.

Next step - finalise the lease this week and begin shop renovations.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #2382 on: March 31, 2011, 09:01:06 am »

@miss Honeythorn.
What a strange story. First of all, the agency is okay with their temps to apply for a permanent job at your company? Most of the time, agency's have a contract that says the temps have to work for the agency for a certain period, for instance half a year. If not, the company has to pay for the expences made by the agency (read, the profit the agency should have got, if the temp would have worked for the period).

It is sometimes cheaper for a company to turn to an agency than doing their own advertising and selection. Doing things double doesn't make sence at all. It would if the temps send were not good at their jobs and the company didn't have faith in the agency. (it could be that the agency is going bankrupt and tries to sell their temps to the companies they are working for)

The application form don't make any sence eather. Shure, there are standard forms, but still, a few standard forms for different degrees of job positions would be more apropriate. Perhaps they use the form in reverse, meaning someone who can fill in the form correctly is "to good" for the job. A blank answer is a plus. I don't know, again, strange.

The sharp dressing I can get into, a bit. You dress smart to, not only impress, but to show respect to the other person. Totally impractical, but it does show something about yourself. The way someone dresses can be a reflection of his/her personality. Once again, strange, for the application and the line of work.  In the end, it all comes down to money. If it's cheaper to do the job with one or two persons less, the company will do that. If it's easier to use temps in stead of own employees, the company will do that.

My day at work was meaghh untill I came home and our little 1 1/2 year old daughter, ran towards me with open arms. She's such a sweet little girl.  Smiley

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2383 on: March 31, 2011, 10:26:28 am »

We get a lot of this where I work. A big company contracting  smaller companies to come in and do staff surveys and briefings and 'performance reports' etc. I get a form I have to fill in every year , my 'Personel Developement Report' which is drafted by an outside company. About 1% of the questions have any relevance to my job . Things like "what targets did you achieve last year?".."What were you particularly pleased about in your performance last year" (er..making it  through the entire year without punching a rude member of the public?). Most of the questions are aimed at the office workers and finance dept..not the people who deal with the public.

Thing is everyone knows that if you get a good PDR you're more likely to get a pay increase come April so it's easy to just tell the management what they want to hear and tick all the 'yes' boxes..which clearly doesn't give a  truthful picture.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2384 on: March 31, 2011, 02:37:02 pm »

I have spent four hours surveying a small house with a view to drawing it.  The heights and elevations... are going to prove problematic.  Here's to hoping the archive search will turn up the architect's original drawings! 

Now on to dissertation proposal and initial scale drawings of the survey sketches....
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #2385 on: March 31, 2011, 02:44:56 pm »

Blegh..... got up and promptly felt dizzy and ill...inner ear infection from somewhere, which seems to be clearing up a bit.....just the hacking cough and sore throat to sort out now.....

Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #2386 on: March 31, 2011, 04:29:22 pm »

Went to the doctor's due to a persistant chest infection expecting anti-biotic tablets only to recieve a needle in the backside.

Unexpected and rather sore. Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2387 on: March 31, 2011, 04:38:38 pm »

Now working on the initial scale drawings of the house I surveyed this morning.  So far (having done room and started a second) I seem to have all of the major measurements... missing a few that would've been helpful but nothing major.  Except that it's not square!  And my idea of having a baseline in one room and using that for the entire plan doesn't work.  It looks like I'll have to start by drawing each room individually to scale, then cutting them out and sticking them together to get an accurate idea of the proper shape of the floorplan. 
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #2388 on: March 31, 2011, 04:42:23 pm »

A great day in that we got our official registration of business name for our store.
Congratulations, maduncle!

I had a three hour class today that mainly comprised of playing online flash games. This was our lesson, interspersed with discussion, but for the most part I was either a ninja or looking for puzzle pieces. It got a bit topsy-turvy when the lecturer told off a classmate for distracting the rest of us from our gaming by talking. On the one hand, I find this pleasantly amusing. On the other, I'm paying for this. On the third mutant hand, I'll emigrate to Canada to avoid paying for it.
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2389 on: March 31, 2011, 06:13:00 pm »

I'm still in a state of minor shock at myself. I have all my mothers day stuff purchased, made, wrapped up in  hand stamped  paper and neatly stacked under the wardrobe in prep for sunday  Shocked Usually I'm faffing around late sat night but today I went shopping in the morning, wrapped early afternoon, made late afternoon and now have opened wine.

BTW if anyone is  cooking for mum and is interested Marks and Sparks have a lovely mothers day offer of a meat/ fish/main dish, side veg, dessert and bottle of wine for 4 people  at £15 a go.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 07:03:59 pm by RoseOak » Logged

Tyrant Seabear
Officer

Horizontal Return Tubular boiler? I barely know er

« Reply #2390 on: April 01, 2011, 08:09:04 pm »

Spent most of the day feeling rather hungover... Thank the gods for Chai tea!

┌─┐
┴─┴
ಠ_ರೃ
Indefinitive
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Breathe deep the madness...

« Reply #2391 on: April 02, 2011, 04:58:00 am »

Talked to S for a little while today. There really is nothing else to say:
Roxette - It Must Have Been LoveDQ

Spent the day talking impending doom with the guys. I've officially been invited to a party on Dec 21, 2012. Already RSVPed yes.  Grin We all agreed to have it in Florida, because if the world was ending, at least we'd be at the beach in the middle of winter. Cheesy

And tomorrow is my first day back at D&D in a whole month. Woot!

Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2392 on: April 02, 2011, 06:03:28 am »

Talked to S for a little while today. There really is nothing else to say: Roxette - It Must Have Been Love

Spent the day talking impending doom with the guys. I've officially been invited to a party on Dec 21, 2012. Already RSVPed yes.  Grin We all agreed to have it in Florida, because if the world was ending, at least we'd be at the beach in the middle of winter. Cheesy

And tomorrow is my first day back at D&D in a whole month. Woot!

Roxette... One of my wife's favorite bands.  It's sorry I am to hear, Indefinitive...  I hope all works out in the end...

As far as the "TEOTWAWKI (The End of the World As We Know It)" parties, hell, if you do na wanna drive all the way down to Floor-Idia, you can always come hang out with some metalheads, NC is a hell of alot closer to Canada...  Just a suggestion.  We'll be holed up in our band's rehersal space, Playing Guitar as Rome Burns, as it were...

Plenty of booze, plenty of food, plenty of games.  Open invite (to ANYONE on here, really...).

As for my day:

First off, I'm glad to see that the textbox here is no longer jumping around every letter I type, after the scrollbar pops up.  That in and of itself is a winner.  I'm also right at 2k GaiaGold away from having my bronze arm for my avatar (see my avatar HERE).  So that's good.

Sadly, I've been running a feaver that has NOT dipped below 100 for the entire week.  I've also lost around 20 pounds in the past two weeks (no, I am NOT trying to lose weight).  I assume it is all from stress (stress at work, stress at home, stress in the band, stress everyfrickingwhereIlook)...

I'm also still dealing with a fractured pinkey, that just straight WILL NOT HEAL.  C'est la vie.

On the bright side:  Off work the next TWO DAYS!  Sleep, sleep, sleep and MORE SLEEP! 

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #2393 on: April 02, 2011, 02:50:15 pm »

You know it's going to be good when it involves waffles Grin
I learned to crochet, found a tartan frock coat (far too expensive, but I can hope the price will drop and no-one else wants it...), the sketchbooks I always buy are suddenly cheaper, and I finished an assignment. My cold is retreating and I reckon I can get my perspective sketches and concept documents out of the way tomorrow. On top of things Phania is on top of things.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2394 on: April 02, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »

I deleted my facebook account as my work threatened to sack me on the spot if they found any posts about it on facebook. It's easier all round this way. You can still catch me through Mr C's account.

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
The Kernel
« Reply #2395 on: April 02, 2011, 09:27:07 pm »

My youngests birthday party (not her birthday you understand, but the party)
It went well, despite an EDL (English Defence League) demonstration and counter demonstration in the town and a major police operation to contain it all, and I must point out we had booked the party before the demonstration was announced.

The one thing I will not tolerate is intolerance
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2396 on: April 02, 2011, 10:30:54 pm »

Completed a third version of my ground floor plan.  And then thought of a better method to set out the vestibule and the external wall thicknesses.  Looks like I'll be commencing a fourth draft tomorrow  Roll Eyes
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2397 on: April 02, 2011, 10:35:29 pm »

5th or 6th day of feaver over 100...

I just woke up.
Indefinitive
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Breathe deep the madness...

« Reply #2398 on: April 03, 2011, 08:42:20 am »

Spent a lot of the day talking to a friend of mine. We just met a few weeks ago, and we're already pretty close. He's been particularly good to me through my breakup with S. Very supportive, always willing to listen. He's a bit younger than me, but we get along great. He hasn't really hidden the fact that he likes me. I've just played dumb and pretended not to notice.

Tonight, he decided to let me know with a text: "Hey, listen... I really like you... I'm not trying to push you into anything because I know you're still getting over that guy, so you don't have to say or do anything, but I just thought I'd let you know that you're amazing and I really like you."

That was something that completely caught me off guard. But it made me smile. I might not be ready to move on completely yet, but I'm feeling pretty good nonetheless.
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2399 on: April 03, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »

Glad to hear it, Indedfinitive!  Cheesy  I'm reminded of a quote I give... well, most everyone, really, but it's a damn good quote, so it's... anyway.  "Stand up straight, dont look down-keep your head held high.  Do these things, and the world will come to you."  You got this in the bag.  Wink

My day-I've been up since 5 yesterday afternoon, so a grand total of 15 hours awake.

The great thing is, I'm going to miss band rehersal because I get to go to the doctor!  Feaver crested at 101.2, going on day 6 now...  My parents think it's a bacterial infection related to my heart-FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN...
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 [96] 97 98 99 100 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: