The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 03, 2020, 04:56:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "How Was Your Day" Thread II  (Read 159094 times)
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2325 on: March 14, 2011, 08:54:46 pm »

A 'Hall of Hame'?  What on earth is a 'Hall of Hame' when it's at home?

I meant, of course, Hall of Fame.  D**n my speed-typing.

So now I have a coathook and attendent nail to accompany my brick in the 'stuff I made on my course' hall of hame!

So it's not just me who has a Stuff I Made on my Course shelf?! YAY! Cheesy

What self-made bits 'n' bobs do you have then?

God, I have bricks, bridges, road-surface  models made out of the right materials, lots of Civils-based stuff. And the first paper-straw bridge our class did for team building.

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2326 on: March 14, 2011, 09:16:31 pm »

... good laugh at her oogling our waiter after a sangria ...

Is this a good time to admit I always thought sangria was something you dipped celery in? Like humus.

It is if you've drunk enough.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:18:25 pm by RoseOak » Logged

Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2327 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:02 pm »

Spent the day with Master Seabear, then attended a college finance evening about my future. Dad got all pissy with me, Mother ignored him and moaned at me, then we came home and I packed some more.
3 days till the move.
10 till my first night in the house with Seabear.
15 days till my birthday.

STRESS.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2328 on: March 15, 2011, 09:56:58 pm »

Today I am tired and fed up with my old Mum who makes no attempt to write things down, although I have patiently explained to her that there must be millions of people out there who have bad short term memory, and one help is to keep a little notebook on your person.

This, she will not do. People, mostly me, are simply expected to repeat themselves endlessly, and it is mentally tiring

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2329 on: March 16, 2011, 08:17:18 pm »

I spent the day at Weald & Downland Open Air Museum.  Which was pretty good.  I even spent the morning building cobb walls, which was jolly good fun, if rather exhausting. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2330 on: March 16, 2011, 11:21:32 pm »

I called by the workshopwhere my steampunk motorcycle is getting some frame welding done, and the mechanic was not there. irang him to see where he was at and he said 'I am around the corner at a friends workshop - come by and say hi'.

So I go around the corner to his friends workshop....

... hardest thing was working out where to look first! So many amazing projects underway, and so many neat tools! This place had old bikes on pallets waiting retoration or modification, old cars waiting for the same treatment, half done projects up on workbenches (A 1980's BMW motorcyle with a custom built supercharger for instance) and motorcyle racing components under construction - this was a serious tinker space!

I did manage to leave after about an hour of chatting with my mechanic Craig and his friend Phil who runs the workshop (Phil looks like Gandalf!).

... but I will be back.

Meanwhile - I don't think I would be able to concentrate if i am ever called to a meeting in the board room at work.

I mean, how on earth am I supposed to concentrate with this thing sitting there on display?

I would just want to get up and play with it!
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:41:45 am by maduncle » Logged

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!

« Reply #2331 on: March 24, 2011, 09:16:29 am »

Unsure where to begin...  Work was... Well, same as always (feel free to dig back through all my posts about it... Wink ).  Couple that with the fact that I'm not out of bed most days until just before time to GO to work (one reason I'm on here so late), and it makes for a very long, very slow day.

Not much going on around here, really.  Just stuck in the duldrums it seems.  Cant work on many of my projects, either, because my little one has turned my work area into her new PLAY area!  Bless her heart, she needs one, and our house is so small it's worth the sacrifice.

Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...
LizerSparkes
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

I's some crazy, b'y...

DrillBoysGirl
« Reply #2332 on: March 24, 2011, 10:14:28 am »

Mostly '...meh' until I read a post on another forum I frequent and learned that someone I have come to care about as a friend is dying.  Even though I've never met the gent in person, he's still a friend, as is his partner, a very kind woman who was the bearer of the sad news.  Even though I know it seems a bit silly to some people to get upset about someone I don't even know except through a forum being in the dying part of life, I am. It's been through talking to him for almost three years, and knowing that even a complete stranger sees beauty in someone who has a hard time seeing it herself, that I've started to accept that I am indeed beautiful, in my own way.  It hurts, knowing that soon, he won't be around.

"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2333 on: March 24, 2011, 10:31:24 am »

Mostly '...meh' until I read a post on another forum I frequent and learned that someone I have come to care about as a friend is dying.  Even though I've never met the gent in person, he's still a friend, as is his partner, a very kind woman who was the bearer of the sad news.  Even though I know it seems a bit silly to some people to get upset about someone I don't even know except through a forum being in the dying part of life, I am. It's been through talking to him for almost three years, and knowing that even a complete stranger sees beauty in someone who has a hard time seeing it herself, that I've started to accept that I am indeed beautiful, in my own way.  It hurts, knowing that soon, he won't be around.

For what it's worth, you have my sympathy. 

And there's nothing silly about it-the bonds I feel I have with members of this very forum are stronger than the bonds of the people I work with.

Spiritual bonds are some of the strongest there are.  If you need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to bend for a bit, my mailbox is always open (that goes for everyone else, on here, too.  You guys are wonderful, and...  damn me getting all teary eyed...  You get the idea).

I'm out of words...
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2334 on: March 24, 2011, 11:57:36 am »

Today I am tired and fed up with my old Mum who makes no attempt to write things down, although I have patiently explained to her that there must be millions of people out there who have bad short term memory, and one help is to keep a little notebook on your person.

This, she will not do. People, mostly me, are simply expected to repeat themselves endlessly, and it is mentally tiring

That's all very well..as long as she remembers that she's written it down or that she even has the book.

I tried this with my  mum (who's in the early stages of Altzheimer's and  cannot recall conversation a few hours earlier). But she forgets she has the book.... or writes it in the book and the forgets  she's written it down..

I made friends a few years back with a really lovely guy on a film forum I frequent. I'm in London..he was in Edinburgh and a couple of years older than me. As most of the other users were North American or Australian it was so nice to talk about British films that most of the others had never heard of. We got on like a house on fire. Two years down the line he suddenly died.. 2 days before Christmas! I was so upset. Imagine my surprise (and how touched I was) when I was contacted by a friend of his a short while later and told he had bequeathed his entire DVD collection to me!.
It's very, very easy to make  very good friends on the net and  feel  a huge  hole in your life when they die even though you've never, ever met them in the flesh.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2335 on: March 24, 2011, 12:22:28 pm »

Wow - I love the last three posts, just goes to show what a wonderful world Brass Goggles is.

Imagine if one day we all met in the one place at a massive convention, maybe we should start to plan the '10 years on' event...

Meanwhile, exciting times ahead for my wife and I. We have talked on and off for some time about opening a small shop that sells pre-loved industrial fitting and other such paraphernalia as a sort of trendy home wares (or as I call them 're-home wares') store.

Well - tonight we looked at a great store with a beautiful two bedroom apartment above it, with space for two cars out back and a little courtyard garden - everything we could want. And it is on my tram line to work. And it has room for a shed for me to keep tinkering in.

And - I could make and sell steampunk stuff in the shop!

So we are going to measure up the space and apply for a lease, and then maybe move into it and sell our house.

Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2336 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »

Terrible day stressing and being upset and generally now feeling the physical effect of PTSD. I know of a couple of others on this forum also suffer from it, and I just wonder if what I am experiencing is normal.
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2337 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:50 pm »

Mine was quite nice actually. Spentthe morning blitzing the house. Its now spotless and decorated with about 15 vases of flowers. I scrumped forsythia, daffies and hyacinth from the empty cottages down the road and felt very spring like walking down the road with a filled basket.  Had a lovely lunch out in the garden, cleared out my workshop, went to homebase for more flowers and made a altered art lampshade for when I decorate my bedroom next week. Also, friend with preggie gf has got back in touch apologising for being a ghost for 3 months
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2338 on: March 24, 2011, 09:31:42 pm »

Terrible day stressing and being upset and generally now feeling the physical effect of PTSD. I know of a couple of others on this forum also suffer from it, and I just wonder if what I am experiencing is normal.

From what you've described on the other forum, sounds about like my first several months back from "over there..."

It gets better, give it time.  And dont feel like you [em]have[/em] to put a brave face on it-that mistake almost cost me my life.  Talk to people, seek out cousel if you have to.  As I've said before, my inbox is always open! I'm here to help if you need it.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2339 on: March 24, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »

I had PTSD after the Black Saturday bushfires here in Melbourne back in '09, and I still experience flashbacks, you can always PM me if you want to talk and share.
LizerSparkes
Zeppelin Captain

I's some crazy, b'y...

DrillBoysGirl
« Reply #2340 on: March 24, 2011, 11:03:28 pm »

Update: My friend has passed on.  He slipped into a coma during the night, and at 1:00 PM Rocky Mountain Time (2 PM GMT -6), he left the world of the living, surrounded by loved ones.  He will be missed.
Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #2341 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:59 pm »

I'm sorry to hear that  Sad

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #2342 on: March 24, 2011, 11:33:45 pm »

My condolences, Lizer.
The Kernel
« Reply #2343 on: March 24, 2011, 11:40:05 pm »

Seconded
Condolences

My day - teaching groups (10 plus) of post-grads all day (mostly my teaching is one to one)
Intesting to say the least.
Tomorrow I buy a new suit (the last one was ruined when I tripped over a disabled access ramp at the "welcome home" parade for my old unit and ripped the knees out of the trousers - just like a two year old again!)
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2344 on: March 25, 2011, 03:59:06 am »

My condolences, as well...

To brighten the mood (I hope), MY Day!

Two trucks tonight (the expected norm for the duration of the "Hundred Days of Sales," which is actually only about 60 days, but Hundred sounds far more impressive...  Much like the "Thosand Years of Darkness," which is really only 984!), totalling nearly 1600 pieces, with almost 1100 cube of appliances.   Not that those numbers mean anything to any of you, but to put it in perspective, company average trucks size is 500.  So yeah, we didnt quite finish the second truck, althoug we DID get 6 (of 13) panels deep before our DM said "Close it up, pull out what's here..."  Not because we were short on TIME, but rather we had no ROOM!

Also found out that our department ASM was a former truck unloader, and understands that every once in a great while (read: Every FARKING TRUCK) you have to break the safty rules.  He is my new favorite manager because of this...

Also, he looks like he could have been a Nazi officer.  Totally unrelated to the previous statement, but I find it interesting/funny.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2345 on: March 25, 2011, 06:18:35 am »

I had an interesting day of work training, I was learning how to fit bras yesterday, and saw more of my new store manager than I ever thought I would but then hey, I'll be seeing A LOT of boobs in this job!

The antibiotics are making me feel a bit acidy so I am constantly having to graze food, which isn't a bad thing I guess. Today is the last day of medication so hopefully that will be it. I am also getting some very sexy hayfever symtoms, so will probably jump straight from antibiotics to antihystamines, at least they will make me sleepy!

Which brings me to my next point: sleep. Not getting any again. I think my mind is racing with all the exciting new things I'm learning and doing at work, and the friendships with new collegues am slowly building up. It has been a LONG time since I had friends in real life so I am not going to mess this up!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Xenos
Zeppelin Admiral
Sudan Sudan

« Reply #2346 on: March 25, 2011, 07:21:05 am »

Darkshines, I envy your job...  Er... I mean...  Good luck with it!  And feel better, while you're at it! 

I know I just posted, but like Columbus said in Zombieland, "It's amazing how things can go from bad, to total sh*tstorm..."

And believe me people, it has went to TSS.

Long story short, I'm a bad husband, father, brother, son, you name it (no, no, my wife and I are fine-hell, she's about the only support I have!).  One person blames ME for one of my frineds not liking her (see previous GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH post for more on that...), and today, it reached critical mass.  She went UBERDRAMA "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!  WHY ARENT YOU LOOKING?!?!?  WHY DONT YOU LOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEE ME!?!?!?"  blah blah blah.  So, now, I'M the bad guy, because I did not go to this friend and say "YOU!  ACCEPT HER!  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE HER!"

Two points:  First, how is it my problem?  Second:  Why does she attack ME personally over things HE said (which, I now have all of the coorispondance from both of them-he's in the right, she's being dramatic and trying to guilt trip him)?  None of that makes any sense to me.

Next up is the bad husband/father one-two punch:  Certain members of my family have decided that I am controlling, because I dont like it when my wife is away from home (with my daughter) for long periods.  Now, for those of you that do not know me so well, I have no problem wiht my wife going anywhere, doing anything, or being with anyone (no-not like that!).  I DO have a problem with her being out of state for 2-3 weeks, with my daughter, and me having NO way to get to her/them if something happens.

Not to mention my glaring night terrors, paranoia, and severe issues related to when a crazy woman tried to straight KILL my family, resulting in me having to be evacutated by the US Embassy.  So, yes, I guess I'm a controlling evil, chavenistic husband.

I'm going to go drink myself into a stupor, watch Survivor: Africa reruns (making myself more and more homesick), and sing along with 80s Hair Band love ballads, with the occational Flobots Handlebars thrown in there...  and when I wake up, rinse and repeat.

Ya try and do right by people, and you get shat on.  You do WRONG by people, Karma shites on you.  Sod it all.
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #2347 on: March 25, 2011, 06:51:51 pm »

I had an interesting day of work training, I was learning how to fit bras yesterday...

Heh, when I used to work at M&S (lorry unpacker...) I also applied for the advertised post of bra fitting service. Needless to say my shift manager didn't find it funny, and I didnt get the post either....  Grin  Some of the customer orders were HUGE, one bra was big enough to use as a double hammock, and one pair of knickers was big enough for two of us to stand in either leg - and they were still loose! (and I look somewhat simmilar to Jonny Vegas - so these were BIG!)  Cheesy

My day has been mixed.  Work on one of my properties has finally got somewhere after a small 'discussion' with my builder (nothing serious, just the usual 'games' you have to play as a landlord). Quite pleased with the look of the place.

From there I went to my check on the empty property still awaiting sale to the council. The theiving bastards have been back in overnight.  Angry  Rear yard door was smashed in, the rear window was pulled out to gain access ('cos I nailed the doors shut...) and the buggers have BROKEN THROUGH THE SUPPORTING WALL TO GAIN ACCESS TO THE UPSTAIRS FLAT!!  All the copper pipes have been knicked from upstairs now too. Quite a bit of water damage in the downstairs flat now as well.  Angry Angry

This is getting beyond a joke, serious damage is being done to the propety now. And I still have to sell the fucker yet!  Angry

However one good thing happened, at some point they must have found an old wooden walking stick / cane somewhere, and left it behind. It's actually quite old and looks really steampunkish. Needs a little work and a clean up, but quite a nice little find.  Smiley

And to finish the day off, I got back to my house and one of my neighbours pointed out that the house a few doors up had just had the lead roofing on the bay windows stolen.  Shocked  I was only gone for an hour or so, and it was there when I left.  Seems that a couple of "kids" (I assume teens) were seen stripping it off, only nobody thought to challenge them about it...  Roll Eyes 

Scrap metal thefts are getting serious now, they really are getting quite blatant about doing it.

I'm gona wire my lead roof the into the electric mains - let's see if 240V makes them change their minds....

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dr. D.P. Nelthorpe IV
Gunner

Call me Nel :)

« Reply #2348 on: March 25, 2011, 08:25:26 pm »

Darkshines, I envy your job...  Er... I mean...  Good luck with it!  And feel better, while you're at it! 

I know I just posted, but like Columbus said in Zombieland, "It's amazing how things can go from bad, to total sh*tstorm..."

And believe me people, it has went to TSS.

Long story short, I'm a bad husband, father, brother, son, you name it (no, no, my wife and I are fine-hell, she's about the only support I have!).  One person blames ME for one of my frineds not liking her (see previous GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH post for more on that...), and today, it reached critical mass.  She went UBERDRAMA "EVERYONE LOOK AT ME!  WHY ARENT YOU LOOKING?!?!?  WHY DONT YOU LOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEE ME!?!?!?"  blah blah blah.  So, now, I'M the bad guy, because I did not go to this friend and say "YOU!  ACCEPT HER!  LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEE HER!"

Two points:  First, how is it my problem?  Second:  Why does she attack ME personally over things HE said (which, I now have all of the coorispondance from both of them-he's in the right, she's being dramatic and trying to guilt trip him)?  None of that makes any sense to me.

Next up is the bad husband/father one-two punch:  Certain members of my family have decided that I am controlling, because I dont like it when my wife is away from home (with my daughter) for long periods.  Now, for those of you that do not know me so well, I have no problem wiht my wife going anywhere, doing anything, or being with anyone (no-not like that!).  I DO have a problem with her being out of state for 2-3 weeks, with my daughter, and me having NO way to get to her/them if something happens.

Not to mention my glaring night terrors, paranoia, and severe issues related to when a crazy woman tried to straight KILL my family, resulting in me having to be evacutated by the US Embassy.  So, yes, I guess I'm a controlling evil, chavenistic husband.

I'm going to go drink myself into a stupor, watch Survivor: Africa reruns (making myself more and more homesick), and sing along with 80s Hair Band love ballads, with the occational Flobots Handlebars thrown in there...  and when I wake up, rinse and repeat.

Ya try and do right by people, and you get shat on.  You do WRONG by people, Karma shites on you.  Sod it all.

O.O Uhmmm...wow. You have my email if you need a shoulder, Xenos. That sucks!  (And, for what it is worth, I agree with you on the out of state with no way to contact. I don't care how long it is, if my daughter was out of state for even a millisecond, I'd better be able to contact her and the adult she's with....excuse me while I go retract my mama lion claws. On a side note, do lion's claws retract?)

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."-- C.S. Lewis.
Llrael
Snr. Officer

In it for the lulz.

« Reply #2349 on: March 25, 2011, 11:45:15 pm »

Well, things were going pretty well until I heard that my grandmother has had a stroke and that the prognosis is not good. On the one hand I am not horrifically surprised as she is very old and has been declining in the last year or so. On the other hand she is the only grandparent I have left and I am running low on relatives. So I'm going to deal with this the way I deal with all my horrible experiences - by playing video games until further developments occur.

I don't feel too good.

"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 99 100 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: