The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2020, 09:06:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "How Was Your Day" Thread II  (Read 162145 times)
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #2300 on: March 12, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »

I bought Purcell's Music for Queen Mary.  Been quite a while since I last bought some Classical music, and now I'm listening to it.  Oh, and the sun's out.  A good day, then. 

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #2301 on: March 12, 2011, 04:37:15 pm »

Managed to lock myself out of my online banking account. I had completely forgotten that I had changed the password, and kept trying to use the old one. Can't do anything about it until Monday, either.

Well, at least now I know that that security feature works.  Undecided

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Siliconous Skumins
Server Monk
Governor
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2302 on: March 12, 2011, 08:08:33 pm »

but there is rugby on in town today and I am still a bit nervus around drunken idiots.....

Are'nt we all...  Wink

Today was good!  Spent the day at the Maker Fair in Newcastle, quite few Steampunks there too (some in full SP dress). Smiley  Got there a bit late and the queue was MASSIVE. There was a small group of steampunks and one Dieselpunk (or possibly two DPs - one was dressed in a sort of mix of SP / DP...) standing in the queue just ahead of me, and the middle class family with 2.4 children in front of me, didn't quite seem to know what to make of them. The father made the comment of "...maybe it's normal?" (in a light hearted way) at which point I said "I hope not, because I'm one too!"  Grin  I think he wanted to ask what it was all about, but his wife had given him the 'look' that told him shut up.  Grin

There was a few too many young kids there, and the crowds were pretty tight, but hopefully it will be a little quieter tomorrow.
In addition to the normal ticket we had to wear a paper wristband to get access for the full wekend, but you're not allowed to take off the paper band, and it's designed to fall apart if you try.  Not sure how well this is going to hold up with my dodgey sleeping pattern - it's allready looking a bit frail... Roll Eyes  Might wrap a layer of clear sticky tape over it to strengthen it up a bit.

SS

[Server Prayer]
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #2303 on: March 12, 2011, 08:28:39 pm »

Family get together, twelve of us at a nice old pub, great food, then back to Mum's for Cake and the Hat Competition. The Bowler Railway did not even place in the voting, but that's democracy for you.

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #2304 on: March 12, 2011, 08:41:04 pm »

A most afternoon visiting the Blandford Fashion Museum with members of the League of Bournemouth Steampunks Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2305 on: March 13, 2011, 01:56:13 am »

Sitting quietly in the lounge and my wife looks out the window and exclaims 'Clifford - look at that!'.

So I look and there is the biggest caterpillar I have ever seen chowing down on one of our Gardenias - in fact it had totally stripped a 2' tall bush down to a leafless set of twigs within 24 hours (honestly officer - there was a Gardenia there yesterday).

Therefore - it was my job to corner the beast and somehow capture it, remove it to a distant safe place and administer first aid to my wife who was in 'Gardenia shock'.

This was a highly unusual beastie for our local area...

About 3 inches long and rather wicked looking.

I thought about keeping it as part of my study into the biomechanics of flight - but we all know how that turns out don't we?

(Well - those of us who have read Perdido Street Station do anyway).

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
LizerSparkes
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

I's some crazy, b'y...

DrillBoysGirl
« Reply #2306 on: March 13, 2011, 02:14:20 am »

went out for dinner with (s)mother, had a decent time and a good laugh at her oogling our waiter after a sangria and about half of a strawberry margarita... then we went for ice cream and picked up a few other goodies on the way. so far, pretty decent day. gonna hit the PO tomorrow and clean out my PO Box.... gotta pay the rent on it soon...

"PLC, and reach for the stars." - F. "Bucky" Laughlin
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2307 on: March 13, 2011, 02:01:37 pm »

Kind of strange. (yesterday but still relevent) We went to an exhibition opening party at the Woodstock museum. It was for a textile group and had some lovely stuff and whilst we were there we managed to find the curator, who we had been in contact with for about 2 weeks about the three of us having an exhibition in in one of the galleries.

She'd been really enthousiastic about it previously but as soon as  she saw us her attitude changed completely.  She kept going on about " was our work of a high enough standared for the gallery", "did who have enough stock to show in a room less then 20ft square", did we think we would attract enough attention to merit a whole month on show" and "she was fully booked up till mid 2012 and even then she might not have anything suitable for us".

It was really quite shocking to see her attitude towards us change merely because we were stood in front of her. She'd been talking about this summer on the phone but changed her mind at a snap. Granted we'd spent qite a while amongst ourselves discussing how several pieces were made, ways to continue the ideas and different materials but thats what you do, you discuss pieces and work them out. It shouldn't have offended her.

Honeythorn
Zeppelin Admiral

How unfortunate...

« Reply #2308 on: March 13, 2011, 02:23:25 pm »

I would have said something frankly. I would have pointed out to her that her attitude in person was completely different, and that it was obvious to all and sundry that she'd changed her attitude based on your appearance.

If she's going to be a snotty bitch then I'd consider looking elsewhere to exhibit ( I'd have told her that as well ) 

<((((º>¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º>¸¸.·´¯><((((º>
¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·.><((((º> ><((((º>.·
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2309 on: March 13, 2011, 05:22:07 pm »

Yeah thats downright out of order, I would take your work elsewhere.

Today I got a nice commision, ate ice cream, had a picnic in the park and enjoyed the sun. Sometimes I question if I am even Goth......Lol!

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #2310 on: March 13, 2011, 05:43:05 pm »

Six and a half hours of Assassin's Creed II. Exhausted. Need sleep.

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #2311 on: March 13, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »

O.....k...... so I can either have the windows wide open have the cat escape, or have them almost closed and boil......

I settled for shutting him out of the living room while I cool down....
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #2312 on: March 13, 2011, 07:28:32 pm »

I would have said something frankly. I would have pointed out to her that her attitude in person was completely different, and that it was obvious to all and sundry that she'd changed her attitude based on your appearance.

If she's going to be a snotty bitch then I'd consider looking elsewhere to exhibit ( I'd have told her that as well )  

Trouble is I'm simply no good at being rude. I was brought up to be polite in all situations and  I simply cannot be rude to anyones face. I find being icily polite much easier and you can scarper before they realise they just got insulted. That and the fact that its tough being rude to someone when your staring them straight in the elbow.  I wasn't even steamed up. I was in a black velvet dress, grey pearl set, lilac shoes and a lace and velvet jacket. She, in her jeans may have been intimidated

Yeah thats downright out of order, I would take your work elsewhere.

Well I intend to send a polite email thanking her for her time but  do not feel that the venue is suitable. I love Woodstock, its full of little deli and coffee and antique shops and only half an hour on the bus.  The Queens park centre in Aylesbury is always looking for exhibitors so I'm going to call them
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 07:31:46 pm by RoseOak » Logged
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #2313 on: March 13, 2011, 07:48:42 pm »

Today I have prepared for a week of packing and stress. Oh, and had to try and decide what I wanna wear for the next week before I pack EVERYTHING else.
OH! And there will be no internet at home for 2 weeks. D:

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2314 on: March 13, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »

I went out for a walk to catch the last of the evening sun (ended up about halfway down the Woodstock Road before I took it in mind to turn back), then decided it was a good idea to try out a shortcut to get back to Headington.  Newsflash: just because a footpath & bridleway sign says 'Headington' on it, does not necessarily mean it will a) be faster than the round-about main road route or b) lead actually to Headington.  No, I ended up at the end of the path in a residential street thinking 'sooo.... which way now?'
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #2315 on: March 13, 2011, 09:55:09 pm »

Today I have prepared for a week of packing and stress. Oh, and had to try and decide what I wanna wear for the next week before I pack EVERYTHING else.
OH! And there will be no internet at home for 2 weeks. D:

Going on a month now, I've lacked internet in-house. One gets used to it, but you never become okay with it.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
The Kernel
« Reply #2316 on: March 13, 2011, 10:40:20 pm »

I am a traitor to the cause!

Spent the afternoon treating the Land-Rover's windows with RainX - to stop them steaming up Shocked

Product link behind the spoiler, "information only" for those not familiar with the product type, I am NOT advertising
Indefinitive
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Breathe deep the madness...

« Reply #2317 on: March 14, 2011, 02:12:18 am »

So, my mom and sister went shooting today. My thirteen year old sister is actually a pretty good shot. However...

She got a zombie poster with a target on it, and only hit the target. I asked why she wasn't going for the zombies, since there were a few on the poster, and she said she was only aiming for the target. Then I told her that zombies don't wear targets, and asked what she planned to do when the apocalypse came...

"I'm gonna shoot them in the heart."

... I'm now an only child. I've officially disowned her.

Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2318 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:44 am »

Day yesterday was spent preparing for a week of running around packing and visiting various people, including Seabear.
Today holds both more packing, and calling college regularly to tell them I am ill even though I have text in sick.
Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #2319 on: March 14, 2011, 09:50:39 am »

Missing my baby boys birthday Happy Birthday James 3 today. Wish I was with you

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #2320 on: March 14, 2011, 09:56:16 am »

I had a great day in the lab, I finished the fifth set of modified headphones - so now I have a reasonable stock of steampunk headphones for MP3 players or iPhones.

Each set uses a donor Sony headphone set, I remove the speakers and fit them into the cleaned up old Stromburg Carlson headsets. This can be done without needing to cut any wires from the speakers.

I did leave one pair with the original speakers in them and just replaced the plug with a new plug. They are mono and a bit muffled, but 'interesting' to listen through.

I plan to display them at Steampump (ed) in Melbourne in May and maybe sell a few then.

James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2321 on: March 14, 2011, 07:30:24 pm »

We had a day of practical work; had a go at bricklaying, lime plastering, wattle-and-daubing (got one of my friends in the face with a handful of mud and straw, to everyone's private gratification) and ironmongering. 

So now I have a coathook and attendent nail to accompany my brick in the 'stuff I made on my course' hall of hame!
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

electrogirlak
« Reply #2322 on: March 14, 2011, 07:39:18 pm »

So now I have a coathook and attendent nail to accompany my brick in the 'stuff I made on my course' hall of hame!

So it's not just me who has a Stuff I Made on my Course shelf?! YAY! Cheesy
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

« Reply #2323 on: March 14, 2011, 07:45:13 pm »

A 'Hall of Hame'?  What on earth is a 'Hall of Hame' when it's at home?

I meant, of course, Hall of Fame.  D**n my speed-typing.

So it's not just me who has a Stuff I Made on my Course shelf?! YAY! Cheesy

What self-made bits 'n' bobs do you have then?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:47:37 pm by James Harrison » Logged
Llrael
Snr. Officer

In it for the lulz.

« Reply #2324 on: March 14, 2011, 07:52:03 pm »

... good laugh at her oogling our waiter after a sangria ...

Is this a good time to admit I always thought sangria was something you dipped celery in? Like humus.

Anyway, after three days I am now fully installed back at home with a functional computer. Also got my hair cut today, altered a skirt and ironed some stuff - all prep for a convention starting Friday. Still so much left to do, but I make progress!

"I asked Mr Lacey if he'd let me work his lovely machine. He hit me with a spanner."
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 [93] 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: