The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 20, 2019, 11:15:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steel City Steam Society  (Read 3061 times)
Polaris
Snr. Officer
United States United States

"You again?! What are you? The Plague?"

« on: April 29, 2010, 08:27:22 pm »

I think I approached everyone in the western Pa./ Tristate area already, but for anyone I've missed- and really anyone who doesn't live in the area but would like to join us anyway:

I would like to cordially invite you to join the Steel City Steam Society of Western Pa. As of right now we are 218 members strong on facebook ((http://www.facebook.com/groups/steelcitysteam/)) and I always say 'The more the merrier!'

Our goal is to help promote the genre in our home town, and through out the world. Smiley We have a lively discussion board and wall conversation and a number of events planned for this summer and dates yet to come!

Please feel free to join us! We look forward to making your acquaintance!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 02:40:52 pm by Polaris » Logged

"Then the Gods of the Market tumbled, and their smooth-tongued wizards withdrew
And the hearts of the meanest were humbled and began to believe it was true
That all is not gold that glitters, and two and two make four
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings limped up to explain it once more."~Kipling; 1919
MalContent
Snr. Officer

Swindler, Con Man and Gentleman Thief

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:17:44 am »

Well I will definitely be there for Steel City Con...and will actually be out that way the 1st weekend of June...so if something is going on then I will drop by for spell to meet everyone.

I highly endorse this group...its like a mini-brassgoggles community in pittsburg...great job on all of this, Polaris!

"God Created Alcohol so the Irish wouldn't take over the world"
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:45:11 am »

Thanks! It's an ambitious project so I really hope I'm not screwing things up. Wink
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 01:50:19 pm »

Location of our Bar night has changed to Howler's in Bloomfield. Smiley It's got a nicer stage area than Belvedere's.
MalContent
Snr. Officer

Swindler, Con Man and Gentleman Thief

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:48:38 pm »

Once the dates get pegged down...I definitely make the drive out for another event besides Steel City Con.
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 02:46:03 pm »

Once the dates and location for the picnic are pinned down (and hopefully not early June XD) I'm definitely up for that one, as well as Steel City con.  I love that the Pittsburgh (and surrounding areas) community has started to grow so nicely.

"Humans need fantasy to be human."  - Death from "The Hogfather"
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:03 pm »

Oh and again. Sorry for the interruption.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2010, 06:21:32 pm »

O.o Que? Interruption?
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 08:49:44 pm »

You keep referring to "Steel City", but when getting onto the thread it isn't about Sheffield.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 09:12:50 pm »

Don't worry Peter I was pleased to spend some time with the delightful Polaris and the Steel City Steam Society and hope I served as Steampunk Ambassador from one Steel City (Sheffield) to another (Pittsburgh).

(If you can manage a stipend for me from the City council I would gladly repeat my hitherto voluntary and philanthropic trip Grin)

Best wishes guys from the Steel City over here.  We need to think about some sort of twinning ceremony.

BE SPLENDID!
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »

Indeed! Grin Sheffield and Pittsburgh are like two long lost siblings.
Story
Officer

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:46:36 pm »

Stumbled across this, thought'd be of interest -

Visitors flock to "West Virginia's Williamsburg" for a ride on the Cass Scenic Railroad. The grade can be steep —9% at some spots, with geared locomotives providing the power — but the scenery is spectacular, and the region's logging history is fascinating.

Reporting from Cass, W. Va. — At the old mill town of Cass, nestled deep in a remote holler of West Virginia, coal smoke and history hang in the air.

The smoke is from the geared steam locomotives that serve the Cass Scenic Railroad. Ideal for steep grades and marginal track, these Shays — named for Ephraim Shay, who designed the eccentric but effective locomotives — once toted logs from the woods to the lumber mill at Cass. Today, they haul visitors by the thousands up into those same woods.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/20/travel/la-tr-cass-20100620

See also
http://www.cassrailroad.com/

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 07:19:25 pm »

Hmm... that looks kinda interesting... I'll have to look into that more.
Agamemnon Magillicutty
Officer

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 07:42:52 am »

Steel City con is a bit of a haul for me, I don't normally make it out to the Monroeville Convention Center for anything other than the Pittsburgh Comic Con.

I have a Living History event around that time as well, prolly won't be able to make it.

"Oh dear, I fear the Elephant Gun just won't do this time. Make ready the Brachiosaurus Rifle."
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 01:04:14 pm »

Just to maybe reanimate this poor thread, because it gets forgotten about so often....

If anyone's in the Pittsburgh area this Saturday April 30th, from noon to five we'll be at the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens for an amatuer photoshoot, followed by dinner and crashing the Art All Night show that evening. Not a real formal event, but best dress is recommended. The whole thing went over really well last year, so we're hoping for an equally awesome turn out this year!

For more information and constant updates on events, check out the guild's group site on facebook:: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=108775002496292
Polaris
Snr. Officer

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2011, 02:42:22 pm »

http://www.timesonline.com/news/local_news/steampunk-takes-hold-in-western-pennsylvania/article_60c7d06e-2961-5d8f-b4a1-6d43452da24a.html#.Tu7Sb721bd8.facebook

Our little guild made it's first print debut here in a local paper!! I also have an interview scheduled with the city's main newspaper coming up soon!! Cheesy
Elycium
Officer

addicted to fancy clothes

Elycium
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:04 pm »

That was an excellent article. Thank you for sharing it Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: