The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 04:57:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wild Wild West Con (March, 2011)  (Read 3048 times)
Kylen Phylar
Officer
United States United States

Zeppelins aren't the only Airships, ye know.

« on: April 05, 2010, 11:21:24 am »

In one year, Arizona will be (hopefully) seeing a surge of activity as the first Wild Wild West Con goes down! Bring your best top hat, or your favorite steam powered robot arm to this Steampunk meets Wild West convention!

The site will be up soon, and I'm just spreading the word. Abney Park is signed on as a major act on Saturday.

Official dates of the Con are March 4th-6th 2011.

I'll do my best to update this thread as information comes in. Here's to a hopeful start, and a wonderful con....and to doing bad things to the board if they screw this up. Like leaving them out for AirKraken

I am IM and PM Friendly! I like friends! Contact me!
LillysWorkshop
Officer

lillysworkshop
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:50:45 am »

Nice, will definitely attempt to be there, especially if I'm still in the southwest.

Eisenfaust
Snr. Officer

-Perhaps you prefer a gentleman?-

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 09:34:05 pm »

Several of us here in southern New Mexico have just heard about it and will definitely be spreading the word through our various channels and saloons.  If there is anything you need, please let us know.

-"We recognize pleasure as the first good innate in us, and from pleasure we begin every act of choice and avoidance, and to pleasure we return again, using the feeling as the standard by which we judge every good."
-Epicurus
Kylen Phylar
Officer

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 12:56:58 am »

Hey! So, apparently this is happening at the end of the month!

Come by land, sea and airship because this is going to be one party you will not want to miss!

This party will be the Official Launch Party for Wild Wild West Con 2011's website.
Come see the website in action and test it out.

Come learn what events will be taking place, learn what musical acts are booked, learn what discussion panels we will have and what workshops are planned. This is also the time for you to throw your suggestions into the metal top hat. <<<--- You will see what that means when you come.

This will also be our WWWC Primer Event - Gambling Night.
Come learn to play Wild Wild West Faro, Backgammon or join in for a hand of Texas Hold Em'.

The Hookas will be at the ready with some of those tasty flavors we had at our last party.

This is a B.Y.O.B. event so make sure to grab a six pack on the way over. Those showing up with Coors or Mickey's Big Mouth will be tossed over the railing into the pool below.

We will have a small BBQ going and will have burgers and hot dogs cooking. Please bring chips, potato salad, coleslaw or any other snack item you wish. If you want soda you may also want to pick some up.

The party will be taking place at the Grigio roof top deck reserved by our esteemed member Chris Wilson. Make sure to tip your hat to this fine gentleman when you see him.

Grigio Tempe Town Lake
1001 E Playa del Norte Dr
Tempe, AZ 85281
(480) 449-0200

I'm so far trusting these guys, simply because Abney Park has CONFIRMED that they are going to play it, so here's to a good party. I'll be making sure to wear my goggles...and probably the cheap pirate costume from Halloween last year...I hate being poor.

Also: Am I too excited about this? I don't wanna wear this out before the con.
Kylen Phylar
Officer

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:04:16 pm »

While I dislike double posting in threads:

SITES UP @ http://wildwildwestcon.com/
Killjoy
Swab

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 05:45:52 am »

Ticket sales are now online. Also watch for the raffle being done this weekend, tickets will be available on line.
Story
Officer

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 02:23:12 am »

Also on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wild-Wild-West-Con/112184125471354?v=wall

A scrimmage in a Border Station
    A canter down some dark defile
      Two thousand pounds of education
        Drops to a ten-rupee jezail
Major Wolfram Quicksilver
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

If you can't make a mistake you can't make a thing

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 02:34:44 pm »

Ticket sales are now online. Also watch for the raffle being done this weekend, tickets will be available on line.

If this has come from the same gentleman who posted these disparaging remarks on another forum, you may want to have a little chat with him about his views re-steampunk.  If it isn't, I apologise wholeheartedly for casting aspersions on your character.

This is the post in the forum concerned:

And this is the post in full:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It would appear that Ryan McMann isn't responsible for them and is quite shocked at the article written in his name, so apologies to him for any grief caused.  I wish the event every success, and look forward to seeing pics of everyone enjoying themselves.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 03:52:53 pm by Major Wolfram Quicksilver » Logged

'This job looks complicated, get a bigger hammer!'

'The 4lb lump hammer, also known as a Birmingham Screwdriver'

'Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.  Wisdom is never putting them in a fruit salad.'
Steam Rabbit
Deck Hand

Gravatar

SPGiraffe
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 03:40:27 am »

We're excited about WWWC next month!
Hope to see familiar faces and new ones!

www.steampoweredgiraffe.com - San Diego's Musical Automatons
TravelinMel
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:45:06 pm »

All booked and ready to go to! Anyone else going or want to tag along?

Waste not, Want not
spcglider
Officer

Fifty characters isn't enough to write my message!

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 09:38:42 pm »

I was allegorically "on fire" this weekend as I ran hell-bent for leather creating new and wonderful items to accompany my wife and I to the convention.

I finished out a pair of custom spatterdashes for my wife, made several new handsome neckties for myself, completed the assembly of a basic vampire hunting kit, and began the conversion of a "stock" steam-punk "gasmask" into something a bit more elaborate.

I have other plans as well, but we'll have to see where time and tide takes me. I do still intend to complete my Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair Kit. I'd love to have the portable alchemist's laboratory completed as well, but I don't see the time on the schedule to do so.

-Gordon

Professor Gordon Elias Weatherbee, Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair. All models serviced.
spcglider
Officer

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 06:12:07 pm »

Well, it looks as though my larder of kaboodle for the convention will be smaller than I had hoped.  The work-a-day world is imposing its will upon me and it appears that near every waking moment between now and when I step on the Arizona-bound dirigible will be spent in service to the industry.

Ugh.

Oh well... I get to go to a convention of Steam Punkery.  That's spiffy enough all by itself!

-Gordon
Dr. Madd
Zeppelin Captain

Maker of Monsters

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 06:15:43 pm »

I wish I had the money to. The League of Steam is supposed to be there, I hear.

What do we want? Decapitations!
Grave Digger
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:20 pm »

I have my tickets bought and reservations made. I look forward to being surrounded by many other like minded individuals. There will be several explorers from southern New Mexico who will be making the journey across the desert to the gathering. I'm rather surprised there isn't many more from BG who are going. Rather disappointed actually.

I'm not evil. I'm just good lookin'
spcglider
Officer

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2011, 05:17:25 pm »

We are all packed and ready to step out the door.  Too bad we have to wait until 5 am to actually head to the airport.

Looking forward GREATLY to the convention. Even though I didn't accomplish the plethora of things I wished before we leave.

-Gordon
Captain Quinlin Hopkins
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2011, 07:31:37 pm »

We'll be heading out shortly after sunset this eve.  Really looking forward to a enjoyable weekend.  Hoping to do a bit of prospecting as well once there. 
Anything happening Thursday evening? a 16 hour drive should put us there just in time for lunch and a bit of specimen collecting, before we get to check into our hotel. Already looking at a good location for some jasper/hematite as well as a few interesting agates.  Probably mine a bit of copper as well to play with later. 

Sincerely,
Captain Quinlin Hopkins (Hoppy)

Do not ignore the freedoms of someone else, for eventually you will be someone else! 

DFW Steampunk Illumination Society
techgnosi
Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 02:02:45 am »

There's check in and a VIP dinner going on thursday night from what the schedule says.  If you're looking for other options 4th Avenue has quite a few...interesting stores as well as decent restaurants and good bars.  It's also just down the road from the con hotel.
spcglider
Officer

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 04:18:08 am »

Con review: Opinion Only... from the perspective of a VIP attendee.

Its all over.  It was a good time. We met some great people and had some great conversation.

Things done not-so-right:

1) The hotel was not actually very close to the studio. In fact, the studio was only conveniently accessible via a hair-raising drive through a mountain pass that could be only called "white knuckle driving". This completely dis-allowed any sort of comfortable respite... no easy retiring to one's room for rest or change of clothes. Once you were there, you were pretty much on your own. Especially if you took the hotel shuttle to the studio. If you drove, you had a car for semi-private space.

2) Scheduling was (put as diplomatically as possible) a nightmare.  We can only assume that the staff was unable to maintain the schedule because they broke up all their own watches to scavenge gears to decorate their goggles. (JOKING! JOKING!!) Things appeared to have leveled out by Sunday, but first-year scheduling snafus aplenty. By Sunday evening's scheduled "after party", it appeared the con staff had simply had enough and given up.

3) Relying on studio venues as spaces for panels (particularly demos and hands-on workshops) was a terrible mistake. They were simply inadequate to the task.  Saving those sorts of panels until the attendees returned for the evening and holding them at the hotel would, perhaps, have been a better option. Though, this would have conflicted with the many VIP dinner events.

4) No official "con suite"... a room dedicated to the gathering and socializing of the attendees. There was a lot of gathering outside of the hotel bar near the pool, but the limited seating was tricky.

Things that were done right:

1) The guests were spectacular. And I'm not talking just about Abney Park (who, had I not been familiar with their act previously via CD, I would have written off as a hot mess on stage that was particularly unimpressive). Yes, yes... heresy. My opinion only, so take it as such. I was happy to discover Steam Powered Giraffe... a fantastic group with a great catch. They play as steampowered pantomime robot characters... great music, great banter, great act. The League Of Steam entertained with all manner of creative flim-flammery.  Good fun.

2) The studio was a fantastic idea. It was a stupendous coup to get them to agree to the whole thing, I'm sure. But it was such an amazing thing to be dressed to the nines and standing in the middle of a wild west town... having regular customers wonder where all these crazies came from.  And a special round of applause to the studio actors for putting up with the insanity. They have a hard enough job doing the many varied acts they do without having to deal with us amateurs running about.

3) The dinners were quite good. And the entertainment during and after was excellent as well. This also includes the Baroness' Tea and the musical concert.

4) Kudos to the staff for handling all the first-year troubles with (to the eyes of the attendees) aplomb and congeniality.

All this having been said...

At the musical concert, the convention organizers announced the intention to EXPAND the convention next year by several days... and a change in the name.  They admitted to coming to these decisions after many drinks and in the flush of relief after getting this year to its close.

Now, having been involved in the establishment of a convention myself, I'd have the following advice to them... WAIT. Get a clear head. Rest for a few weeks and then take a real, honest, survey of the first effort.

I'm not certain I see the logic in flushing the specific identity of your convention (including your re-usable graphical assets). It almost amounts to starting a whole new convention next year and having to work to raise awareness about the con without having to rely on the sweat-equity you've already put in. Yes, the name of a con can have a big effect on how its embraced initially, but the plan is to re-name it without "con" in the title. I forget the specific name... something like "The Great Western Steam Punk Festival". My personal jury is still out on this one.

And the plan, evidently, is to stretch the event out to a 5 day thing. Maybe I'm off-base, but it might be a good idea to run the convention again for at least one more year and REALLY make sure the kinks are worked out before biting off twice the mouthful of this year.

There you have it.  My review.  I have to go now. Its my anniversary and I have a wife to be friendly with.

-Gordon
Professor Damien Tremens
Officer

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 06:41:19 am »

Just a link to a set of photos I took at WWWC...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33321758@N07/

spcglider
Officer

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 05:23:08 pm »

Wowsers. It came and went.

And for such an effort, the hullaballoo in the aftermath is notable only for it's lack of volume.

No one else has anything to say about the convention?

-Gordon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: