The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 28, 2017, 07:47:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New 28mm Steampunk miniatures  (Read 9189 times)
elysium64
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: March 01, 2010, 04:11:26 pm »

Hi
I thought I would some of you may be interested in these made by a Russian company, "Ratnik Miniatures" and will be cast in resin. Will be available in Europe through http://www.miniaturicum.de/ about end March/April

I hope you like them, I think they are beautiful and plan to buy and paint these when they are available.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:09:13 am by elysium64 » Logged
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 04:14:52 pm »

Wonderful - and the detail for 28mm is amazing!

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
Theophilus Saxe
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 04:33:19 pm »

WANT!  Grin

"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure and the glamour of the game."   

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 04:40:19 pm »

Wow!! Such detail!!! And just 28mm!!

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 05:05:42 pm »

I agree with that 'Wow!'.

But good as they are I'd like them about a foot tall please. Grin

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 05:47:06 pm »

Nice detail and good faces, the only thing that puts me off is the proportions... most of the body is to scale with itself (or at least a heroic scale), but the hands and arms. The hands are massive (they shouldn't be larger than the widest part of your foot when laid out flat) and the arms are too long.  They're reaching just about to where the knees should be with clenched fists, when in real life they should be to the groin or just below.

Don't get me wrong, the details are lovely, and as someone who's done a lot of sculpting in the past, I know how difficult it is to proportion everything right.  But having that experience, it means I can't help but spot when a model is a little off  Undecided

They remind me very much of 90's GW miniatures.  Particularly their Necromunda and Imperial Guard ranges.  The style is similar in many ways.

So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here
damianlz
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 10:35:41 pm »

Those are BRILLIANT! I need all of these and the smartmax minis for..well..LOOK AT THEM

This isnt Russia
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 01:51:23 am »

Nice detail and good faces, the only thing that puts me off is the proportions... most of the body is to scale with itself (or at least a heroic scale), but the hands and arms. The hands are massive (they shouldn't be larger than the widest part of your foot when laid out flat) and the arms are too long.  They're reaching just about to where the knees should be with clenched fists, when in real life they should be to the groin or just below.

They're caricatures. 3D cartoons. They're not supposed to be anatomically accurate Smiley Smiley

"Truly I say to you, he who seeks, shall find. And quite often, he shall wish he hadn't."

- Elias Ashmole Crackbone.
browncoatsgt
Swab

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 02:41:43 am »

Hey, those look pretty nifty.  I have been looking for some decent stock steampunk miniatures and those look fantastic.  My only problem is that after going to the mentioned webpage I could not find them anywhere on there.  Not even for pre-order.  Do you know who the sculptor or manufacturer is, other than the cryptic "russian company."  Thanks.
elysium64
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 05:31:28 am »

Hi, sorry, have corrected original post, The company is "Ratnik Miniatures" and these photos are the greens of forthcoming ranges I have been following this thread at Lead Adventure forum http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=15534.30 Latest news is that he has just performed first test cast (photo on forum), looks good. and it appears end of April/May is likely to be release date. I will keep you informed of all the news as I read it. The distribution deal has only just been announced so unlikely to have a webpage until these are all cast in resin, and possibaly painted.I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:24:26 am by elysium64 » Logged
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 06:47:37 am »

They're caricatures. 3D cartoons. They're not supposed to be anatomically accurate Smiley Smiley

Bigger hands or heads is one thing, makes it easier to sculpt.  But if the body, legs and arms aren't in proportion with each other, miniatures look wrong.  Here's an of example of GW Sculpting in the 90's, where the arms and heads (and weapons) are massive compared to real life, but the limbs are proportional to each other and the miniatures look right.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1300002&prodId=prod1120113

Anyway, enough nitpicking.  I did say they were nice, just that the proportion is a bit off where it matters.
Athanor
Zeppelin Admiral
Canada Canada

Keep them off-balance and brazen it out!

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 07:56:34 am »

The slender young woman in the blue gown, on the right, is nicely proportioned. Not too sure about the others though......... Grin Grin
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 07:58:06 am by Athanor » Logged
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 09:33:16 am »

That can be a detriment- some details should not be seen at a range where they look that size. They are often too big so you can paint them, where if they were right you couldn't paint them, couldn't see them, and wouldn't give a corpulent rodents'.

They're good minis though, I suppose they will do the job- but I can't help thinking I could get the same thing somewhere else.

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
mattig89ch
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2010, 03:08:55 am »

thats just awesome.  no two ways about it, just awesome.

I believe that Steampunk is more than just brass and watchparts. It's finding a way to combine the past and the future in an aesthetic pleasing way. It's living a life that looks old-fashioned, yet speaks to the future.

Edwin Barrett Mudgewhack, at your service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: