The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 26, 2020, 08:06:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United Kingdom Register of Interests  (Read 138033 times)
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #750 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:48 pm »

Hoorah!
A meet up would definately be preferable then! If there are a small number of us, we should definately stick together!
Feel free to PM me anytime to arrange!

Ava

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #751 on: September 25, 2010, 08:36:00 pm »

There was a well-dressed couple who stood with the Birmingham lot at the Locatathon-thingy at the Asylum this weekend- did anyone catch their names?

Not sure if we counted as well dressed but that might have been myself and my mate.  There were also a nice couple from Shrewsbury who stood with us but I didn't get their names either. 

I believe it may have been, Ms Thomas. Perhaps I could point you in the direction of the "Events in Birmingham Area" thread and invite you to register your interest? It would be splendid to meet you properly.
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25451.0.html

- Steamblast "now I will be most recent poster in top SIX threads in UK Geographic forum" Mary.  Smiley

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Callidwyn
Officer

« Reply #752 on: October 08, 2010, 06:15:09 pm »

Doesn't seem to be many of us up here in Geordie-land (well, Northumberland for me, but it's close enought to Newcastle). Or perhaps we're just quiet people. Oh well, perhaps I can introduce a few more to the Steamy way of life, heh.

Saying this, I don't know where I'll be for university next year...
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #753 on: October 09, 2010, 12:18:45 am »

Hmm, there were the guys behind "Aetherspace Adventures" at the Asylum, they're based in/around Newcastle and a pleasant bunch of chaps. Not sure if any are Brass Gogglers, but the group can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=139946246049216
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #754 on: October 09, 2010, 11:09:42 am »

- Steamblast "now I will be most recent poster in top SIX threads in UK Geographic forum" Mary.  Smiley

Ah ha - do I perhaps note that the famed pointy stick of organisation is out of the hat stand and clicking down the road?

BE SPLENDID!
Mnemoria
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #755 on: October 09, 2010, 11:14:30 am »

Doesn't seem to be many of us up here in Geordie-land (well, Northumberland for me, but it's close enought to Newcastle). Or perhaps we're just quiet people. Oh well, perhaps I can introduce a few more to the Steamy way of life, heh.

Saying this, I don't know where I'll be for university next year...

There are a few of us. I'm Northumbrian, Neon Suntan lives a few miles South of me.
From various discussions there are a few of us around the area, (and a few more who aren't regular posters on Brass Goggles)
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #756 on: October 09, 2010, 08:49:29 pm »

Ah ha - do I perhaps note that the famed pointy stick of organisation is out of the hat stand and clicking down the road?

I've not had a great need for it recently, Major. As more people join the scene and their confidence grows, they are taking the initiative and arranging things- we've had everything from steam rallies (a staple, of course) to hill climbs to park picnics and boat rides this summer, and with the dark days drawing in there's discussion of regular pub-based meets, too.

Which is wonderful of course, but the issue is no longer making the EVENT happen and getting the folk you know in the area to attend, but letting would-be interested folk whom you haven't yet met know and encouraging them to come along, too. The best Steampunk meet-ups are always ones where it's chance to catch up with old friends and meet new faces as well.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #757 on: October 09, 2010, 09:36:26 pm »

I've not had a great need for it recently, Major. As more people join the scene and their confidence grows, they are taking the initiative and arranging things- we've had everything from steam rallies (a staple, of course) to hill climbs to park picnics and boat rides this summer, and with the dark days drawing in there's discussion of regular pub-based meets, too.

Which is wonderful of course, but the issue is no longer making the EVENT happen and getting the folk you know in the area to attend, but letting would-be interested folk whom you haven't yet met know and encouraging them to come along, too. The best Steampunk meet-ups are always ones where it's chance to catch up with old friends and meet new faces as well.

Ah do you therefore need an adaption for the pointy stick to improve the publicity and information properties of the arcane device then?  What about getting you to drag it along to some of the promotional things we do like MCM?

I agree - the thrill is to meet friends old & NEW.
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #758 on: October 10, 2010, 12:24:19 pm »

The Crook of Herding Interested People, perhaps? (you know you can always offer me a CHIP and it'll be gratefully received  Grin)
The Duchess of Frugonia
Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #759 on: October 11, 2010, 01:08:29 am »

Having not been able to, as yet, read the entire thread, might I ask if I am the only Welsh bod interested in steampunkery in general?

Experimental Homeopath and Inhumationist [Retired]
OswaldBastable
Zeppelin Admiral

Not in front of the men..................

« Reply #760 on: October 11, 2010, 10:00:46 am »

Having not been able to, as yet, read the entire thread, might I ask if I am the only Welsh bod interested in steampunkery in general?

Have a scan through the thread, there are quite a few

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #761 on: October 21, 2010, 03:03:37 pm »

*cough* Wales here! There's a few in the north, and a few in the south, take your pick!

Miss Holland
Swab

Steampunk novice with turnskin tendencies

« Reply #762 on: November 03, 2010, 04:41:22 pm »

I am a Steampunk novice who lives in Norfolk, near Norwich, and also works in West Suffolk.  I have just put a post on an East Anglian thread but thought it would cause me no disadvantage to announce my presence here. It would be wonderful Smiley to hear from anyone in my local vicinity as all my Steampunk acquaintances live in Southampton.
Icegreen Darkseed
Deck Hand

« Reply #763 on: November 04, 2010, 12:53:05 am »

Jolly chipper idea this !
I reside In the SW of this fair Isle, in a ratty little place called Weston Super Mare. Mainly populated by Zombies, the chavs and what seems a worryingly large percentage of the Uks' more...senior populace.

Laslow Darkseed.
Theorist, Designer, Purveyor of Practical Weaponry.
Copper
Gunner

Miss Victoria Copperburgh

« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2010, 12:49:44 pm »

Hello Chaps!

I am near Newcastle (about a 40 minute drive in an automobile), from one of the pit villages near the coast. I am fairly new to Steampunk and the forum. There aren't many people in my village that know what it is, I took a list of books that I found online to the library and when I handed it to the librarian she looked very puzzled. All the librarys in my county and they only had one of the books in that was on the list, which she had to order in for me. Evidently they don't stock many steampunk books. Looking forward to reading it though, getting my teeth into my first Steampunk novel!

x
Fee
Gunner

« Reply #765 on: November 11, 2010, 10:50:17 pm »

Hello Copper, Mnemoria and Callidwyn,

I'm also in the North East, Cramlington to be precise.  As Mnemoria says, we are a small but growing band in the North.

I'm organising a trip to Beamish Christmas Fair first weekend in December, see other thread on BG.  It would be great if you could come along.  Some of the Yorkshire Steampunks will also be joining.

Fee
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

London & Western Home Counties Steampunk Society

« Reply #766 on: November 13, 2010, 06:40:39 pm »

I'm in West London here, Kew Bridge. Hardly the Only Steampunk In The Village.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:44:01 pm by Prof_Von_Grumbleflick » Logged

No matter how far you push the envelope, it remains stationery
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #767 on: November 13, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »

I'm in West London here, Kew Bridge. Hardly the Only Steampunk In The Village.

Get thee to the steam museum! There will be a massive Steampunk exhibition and series of events next year!

Smiley

Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #768 on: November 13, 2010, 07:02:09 pm »

I went down there earlier today to find out about volunteering there maintaining or driving the engines. It's about 4 minutes' walk away from me. Picked up a flier for the exhibition while I was there and made a noise not unlike a little girl when I saw it. I think that might have made a bad impression on them. haha!

I'll be filling out the form tonight when I get home from work (sound and lighting tech in a nightclub) If by 3am I'm not a complete zombie and take it back tomorrow!
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #769 on: November 13, 2010, 07:12:14 pm »

You need to meet Sir A Poiselamppe, he does lighting and sound for the theatre, and he's (broadly speaking) a Londoner!
Eleanor
Deck Hand
England England

« Reply #770 on: November 13, 2010, 07:19:35 pm »

I am in the Nottingham part of the world currently.  And a big, shiny hello as this is my very first post  Kiss

Yes, my family really did nickname me Widget when I was a small child; and I'm still useful Smiley
Prof_Von_Grumbleflick
Snr. Officer

« Reply #771 on: November 13, 2010, 07:30:02 pm »

I've been in that job for the best part of 15 years now. I did some theatre work, but it's such a closed industry - If you're in theatre, fine.. If you're not, it's damned near impossible to get into it - And I've probably been out of that for too long. I've been mostly working clubs and one-off music events, really.. but it's not the nice side of the industry.. I'm far happier being settled into a venue than being here there and everywhere as and when the work pops up!

I did suggest on Sparegoggles offering my services for the exhibition at KBSM, being so local and a cause that interests me so much. I believe the organiser knows who I am, so if they want to get in touch, they're more than welcome... Otherwise it could be seen as my treading on toes if I nag them... And if it's at such a developed stage, they probably have that covered anyway!

If anyone in London hasn't been to the museum yet, I can't recommend it enough. It's beautiful (apart from the outside loos, which are essentially a building site at the moment. Not so pretty!)

I've hijacked another thread. Maybe there is some pirate in me afterall!
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #772 on: November 13, 2010, 09:28:21 pm »

I've been in that job for the best part of 15 years now. I did some theatre work, but it's such a closed industry - If you're in theatre, fine.. If you're not, it's damned near impossible to get into it

That's been EXACTLY my experience since graduating in Performance Costume.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #773 on: November 13, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

The problem is there are very few jobs when compared to the number of people being churned out by colleges etc.  The people running the courses sell the dream but are not realistic about the actual opportunities out there.

It's often a "dead man's shoes" job so the colleges ought to run a module on assassination in order to increase people's opportunities. Grin

(Cue the Wizards in Terry Pratchett's books...)
Septimus Grey
Zeppelin Captain
England England

HM Governor-General of the Martian Territories

matthewrdavis85
« Reply #774 on: November 13, 2010, 10:41:53 pm »

I reside in the remote wilderness of Wiltshire. Doesn't seem to be too many Steampunkers around these parts. Or am I wrong??

Sadly living at home still, 2009 was a really bad year to graduate with a Masters! lol Naff all jobs! Hmmm

"What is it Lieutenant Sebastian?"
"It's the rebels Sir, they're here."
"My God man! ....Do they want tea?"
"No I think they're after something more than that Sir. I don't know what it is but they've brought a flag."
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: