The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 16, 2019, 11:03:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 40   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: United Kingdom Register of Interests  (Read 128148 times)
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #200 on: May 23, 2008, 04:46:37 pm »

Myself and the good lady reside in the sleep market town of Alton in Hampshire. Here we are blessed with the marvelous Watercress Line, where majestic steam locomotives regularly convey the populous. Details may be perused at ones liesure here: http://www.watercressline.co.uk/

I stalk the night, and the night can't get a restraining order............
SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #201 on: May 23, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »

PKM raises a very good point, we're approaching steam-up/ steam fair season so keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground. I believe there's one near us in Worcestershire on the weekend of the 9th June, once I've found confirmation I'll post it in Geographic.

'I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night’
Herr Döktor
Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
Governor
Master Tinkerer

Herr Döktor, and friend.

« Reply #202 on: May 23, 2008, 07:09:15 pm »

Myself and the good lady reside in the sleep market town of Alton in Hampshire. Here we are blessed with the marvelous Watercress Line, where majestic steam locomotives regularly convey the populous. Details may be perused at ones liesure here: http://www.watercressline.co.uk/

I passed through just the other day- driving the picturesque route back from Southampton via Winchester (I had the New Vaudeville Band's "Winchester Cathedral" playing in the car, and it seemed rude not too), and only a few months ago went for a ride on the Steam Railway! Lovely part of the world!

Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #203 on: May 23, 2008, 07:36:41 pm »

I like hanging around Lepe when I get a chance to leave the city and trample around the New Forest... picturesque beach, lovely trees, wonderful walks... and the random oil refinery nearby.

Let's get a Bentley Speed Six and drive it through the middle of the forest.
Royden Pocket
« Reply #204 on: May 23, 2008, 08:00:14 pm »

I doubt I will go, being 14 and all, but I agree with Magna, I've been, it is absolutely amazing, it is a disused Victorian ironworks, and let me say it is absolutely amazing! I would suggest there!

Blist's Hill would be a bad choice, people might mistake you for the volunteers!
PKM
Gunner

Oneironaut, Clacker, Maker and Fanboy

« Reply #205 on: May 23, 2008, 10:22:23 pm »

Not to spam London area events or anything  Wink, but those in the London area might want to check out the Telectroscope.  The actual device probably won't be all that to look at/use, but I think the housing and the "story"/concept are suitably punkish to attract some attention.  I'll probably be in London tomorrow, might take some photos if I can get close enough and will post them here if they turn out any good.

Check out its slightly over-elaborate official website here.

EDIT: and then he discovers that of course the thing has two threads to itself already.  Read then post, how hard can it be?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 10:24:37 pm by PKM » Logged

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Ex nihilo nihil fit, except maybe quarks
Jerry Cornelius
« Reply #206 on: May 25, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »

Southampton.
Miss Alexandria Web
« Reply #207 on: May 26, 2008, 03:29:01 pm »

Upon reading through this thread I've noticed that there are a few other Steamers not to far from me.
Thus I have a question:
Has anyone heard of Tanfield Railway ( http://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/cms/ )? My Grandfather voulenteers there from time to time and I spent many a fun trip on the steam train when I was younger.
I haven't been for aaaages and I was just wondering if anyone would like to meet up for a Steampunknic over the summer?
ellen tatumn
« Reply #208 on: May 26, 2008, 07:22:45 pm »

Good evening, I live in Surrey, though I often go up into London or down to Brighton for events and shopping.

Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #209 on: May 26, 2008, 07:38:20 pm »

Upon reading through this thread I've noticed that there are a few other Steamers not to far from me.
Thus I have a question:
Has anyone heard of Tanfield Railway ( http://www.tanfield-railway.co.uk/cms/ )? My Grandfather voulenteers there from time to time and I spent many a fun trip on the steam train when I was younger.
I haven't been for aaaages and I was just wondering if anyone would like to meet up for a Steampunknic over the summer?

I've not heard of it before, no, but I am partial to the occaisional steam train and it's not that far from me (well, it's easily daytrippable anyway), so count me in! Just say when and I shall turn up, work permitting Smiley

"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"
Miss Alexandria Web
« Reply #210 on: May 27, 2008, 03:50:23 pm »

Splendid
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #211 on: May 27, 2008, 05:01:34 pm »

Thus I have a question:

I remember getting taken there a while ago when I still lived in Newcastle, it was great. I would also mention if people are travelling up to it why not make a weekend of it and go to Beamish too?  Smiley
Dr C P Hornfels
Snr. Officer

« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:52 pm »

The fine island city in which I dwell produced Dickens, Brunel and a naval force which built an empire. Huzzah!

SteamBlast Mary
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

A spanner in the works

« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2008, 01:57:43 pm »

Ah, Portsmouth. We were thinking of making a trip down there in summer~ is the HHS Warrior open to the public, do you know?
Ella Kremper
Zeppelin Admiral

Retro-Tech Dystopiac

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2008, 04:57:05 pm »

The fine island city in which I dwell produced Dickens, Brunel and a naval force which built an empire. Huzzah!

I have to admit I get completely stone lost in Gunwharf Quays.
Miss Alexandria Web
« Reply #215 on: June 04, 2008, 03:57:43 pm »

Thus I have a question:

I remember getting taken there a while ago when I still lived in Newcastle, it was great. I would also mention if people are travelling up to it why not make a weekend of it and go to Beamish too?  Smiley

I thought of Beamish first but I was a little concerned about being accidently mistaken for someone who works there.
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #216 on: June 04, 2008, 05:13:22 pm »

Thus I have a question:

I thought of Beamish first but I was a little concerned about being accidently mistaken for someone who works there.

Nothing wrong with that, in fact you could have a lot of fun with it, hmmmm, the more I think of this the more I like the idea .... Smiley

« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 05:14:59 pm by Byron Cogsmith » Logged
Miss Melvin
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2008, 07:01:10 pm »

I'm currently residing just outside Gloucester (nice history, not so nice chav population) but in September shall be moving to Glamorgan for university, so I shall be in Pontypridd (Have I spelled that correctly? Probably not).

Technically I'm near Wales...?
Hepzibah Kingsley
Deck Hand

« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2008, 08:56:43 pm »

I reside, along with the junior Kingsleys, in the sedate suburb of Hove on the Sussex coast a suitable place for a widow of limited means but extensive imagination. 

“It is always the adventurers who do great things, not the sovereigns of great empires.”
Charles de Montesquieu
Dear Miss Mina
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2008, 09:54:22 pm »

I live very near to the seaside village of Whitburn in the North-East.  Smiley
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2008, 10:29:18 pm »

Good grief, I used to spend most summers up that way as a young child, staying with a great aunt.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
Dr cornelius quack
Rogue Ætherlord

Arrant Carney. Phmebian Cultural Attache.

« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2008, 10:39:57 pm »

Good grief, I used to spend most summers up that way as a young child, staying with a great aunt.

Well, It's better than staying with one that's not so great.

Dr. Q.

Such are the feeble bases on which many a public character rests.

Today, I am two, separate Gorillas.
Byron Cogsmith
Snr. Officer

« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2008, 12:11:02 am »

That's a bit too near the great unwashed of Sunderland.................. Smiley
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #223 on: June 15, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

I live in Hednesford, Staffordshire.  Slap-bang in the middle of the Staffordshire coal fields, and within easy commuting distance of Birmingham. 

~Edit~

And when at University, (which shall be only for a few weeks more), I live in Lincoln. 

But I consider 'home' to be Staffordshire rather than Lincolnshire.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:39:10 pm by James Harrison » Logged

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
ShredsnPatches
Zeppelin Captain
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #224 on: June 16, 2008, 02:10:09 pm »

I live in Maynooth, a small town just outside Dublin, Ireland. I know it's not the UK but hey...

Havoc for Hire!

"RUN! THEY'RE FIRING POLICEMEN!"

Mending is better than ending, no matter what Aldous Huxley might think Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 40   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: