The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 05:52:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans area Steamyness?  (Read 10563 times)
Sir Robert
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2010, 06:36:32 am »

Next up Mobicon 14 to 16 May who is going besides myself?

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
sevenlies
Officer

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2010, 12:42:08 pm »

I will most certainly be there!  Smiley

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2010, 12:56:36 am »

I was wondering if anyone would care for a SteamPunk Tea at Mobicon? (a get together)

Additionally I was wondering if anyone would care to pack some excess Steampunk clothing, bits and bobs to trade among ourselves as shopping for hard to find items is well, hard.  I have so much and will never need most of it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 02:34:31 am by Sir Robert » Logged
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2010, 01:56:14 pm »

Hmmm...maybe.  I'm always away from the convention Saturday evening, so early afternoon on Saturday would be good for me - around 1-ish.  I'd rather stay at the hotel, though.  There is a section in the hotel lobby with some tables and chairs - it doubles as a lounge in the evenings.  If 1-ish is okay, let me know and I will post this to the MobiCon forums and Facebook page - hopefully we'll get a few people there.

A trade would be fabulous!  I have a few accessory/jewelry items that I'd be willing to put in good hands.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:43 am »

I just made reservations at the Ashbury so we may be able to do this.  Hotel lobby a 13:00, got it.

Does the Hotel have a restaurant/bar or is the lobby adequate for a get together of an unknown number of persons for an unknown period of time?
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2010, 01:10:55 am »

The hotel lobby has a bar/lounge that is only open during the evening, but plenty of people meet up there during the con.  I don't think they'd have a problem with it!  Smiley  There's also a lobby-like area close to the dealers room but that's usually packed.  I think being in the lounge area would be better.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 02:18:01 am by sevenlies » Logged
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2010, 06:21:13 pm »

Okay I have serviced the van.  Worked up a new costume.  Started packing the van.  Co-ordinated with the Daughter Unit so she can come.  Money in bank.  Have the days off for Mobicon.  Made reservations.

What am I forgeting?
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:15 pm »

Don't forget toiletries.  Unwashed con goers are NAS-TAY.   Lips sealed  Dealt with too many of them in my time...

Is anyone else from these threads going?  Bueller?  Bueller?  Don't tell me myself and Sir Robert are the only BGers representing...
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:14 pm »

Sniff-sniff, nope she's not talking about me.  (I hope!)

Some con-attendees are well, new at the interacting-with-humans thing.  There was a time that you and I were ferral children too, go easy on them 7L. 

Just throw them some bits of raw meat and see if you can get them to eat out of your hand, then throw a net over them and drag them into the swimming pool.  Not quite as good as soap and water but you do what you can for the poor devils.

Some day, God willing, they will become useful and productive members of Brass Goggles.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

Sir, I would never insinuate that you are one of the unwashed masses!  Smiley

Maybe I just got lucky, but even when I was slumming it 10 people in a room, I always - ALWAYS - showered.  I also had to deal with them when I ran the game room for Crescent City Con - at least once a year I'd have to boot out some poor gamer trying to sleep overnight under the tables.  Some of the larger anime conventions have taken to handing out soap!  How funny is that?

I don't think raw meat would be necessary, I'd just offer them nachos and coffee from the hospitality suite.

If you're staying in the hotel you get the free breakfast buffet - it's not a fancy spread but it's MUCH more sustaining than nachos and coffee.

Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

Like I said 7L,, I have invited my daughter Kelli so you, me and her that will be three.  Miss Mary Elyse will not attend.  I wonder if Debrigster and Miss Collins will attend?  What about the two very charming ladies that accompanied you to Babelcon?

7L were you suggesting that I bring extra toiletries for the unwashed attendees?  I will bring some extra stuff as trade goods but I might could outfit one or two if needed.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2010, 03:59:54 pm »

I have a feeling that the rest of the people in this thread have moved on.  No one's spoken up since before BabelCon.  I guess this has turned into the "SevenLies and Sir Robert Make Con Plans" thread.  Cheesy  Where did everyone else go?

Allison and Katie will be with me, as well as a few more friends that weren't at BabelCon (and my dear husband, although he refuses to let me steam him up).  Allison said she is glad to hear you will be there.  I will try and post another reminder about the meetup and trade, and I may even print up some flyers if I get the time tonight.

I wasn't insinuating that you bring extra toiletries - although I do have a bar of absinthe scented soap that I got as a gift a while back.  Smiley  I won't be trading that, though.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2010, 01:57:33 am »

I realize this thread is going that direction but I am hoping some one will say: " Jolly good, it sounds like fun" and join us. 

When I spoke to him, Debrigster said that he could not attend.  I told him to have some fun as life is short.

Allison, the young writer?  Oh my!  I have just finished my first book we shall have something to talk about then.  I look forward fondly to seeing her.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 09:25:42 pm »

New Orleans steampunks at MobiCon!  News at 11!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2010, 03:17:00 am »

I swear to The Almighty that I was, just now, wishing I had a copy of that photograph, and there it is! 
You are truly psychic. The five ladies oh, you should do a sitting for a portrait, perhaps for a book cover. 

We had the five of you, me and the dealer of pocket watches so seven of us total, now how many Steampunks can we get to attend MechaCon?  Further can we do some Steam-centered activities?
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2010, 11:14:31 pm »

I may be going; it all depends upon finances (not looking so good) and chaperone availability for the group (most are under 18).  It's getting depressing, really.  Anyone else going to be there?

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.  Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.  And we shall flow a river for to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.  In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2010, 01:02:32 am »

Well I will be there even if no one else is.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2010, 04:42:37 am »

I live and work in New Orleans and I must warn all of you, it is hot and humid, like life-threating hot if you:

A, go outside in the Sun in costume,
and B, are not acclimated to the heat
and C, do any exertion at all like walking.  

I have the most wonderful costume that I have been working on for a long time and I may not even wear it anywhere except inside the hotel.

Oh don't think about wearing skimpy outfits either, going in and out of doors a lot can result in a Summer cold.  To clarify going back inside with wet clothes from sweating to cold air conditioning where you will still be wet for hours as the humidity is very high will make you sick.

Now at night if you wear ordinary loose street clothes going out to see the sights in the French Quarter isn't too bad.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 12:16:01 pm by Sir Robert » Logged
Miss Cordelia Ambrose
Gunner

« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2010, 06:42:18 am »

I'm about an hour northeast of New Orleans, just across the border in Mississippi. I have yet to go to any local conventions (except HubCon in Hattiesburg a few years back, and there were about 15 people there >_<). Whenever I finally put together a costume, I will be hitting some sort of convention in it, so I might see some of you there. Besides, I plan on putting together a good steampunk costume by Halloween this year, and I always go to the French Quarter on Halloween.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:53 am »

Miss Cordelia

You have about two weeks until MechaCon, have you considered finishing up that Steam Punk costume and attending?

As far as MechaCon is concerned you must make it, last year it drew thousands of really cool people.

If you need any assistance let us know, I am sure there are those would be glad to help.

As for myself, I have an invitation to tour the Celtic movie studio in Baton Rouge in the morning that same day (17 July).  Imagine hobnobbing with movie people and a major Con all in one day!

Sir Robert
Miss Cordelia Ambrose
Gunner

« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2010, 03:08:30 am »

That's really very tempting! I wouldn't be able to make it Saturday, but Sunday would be do-able for sure. I don't know if I could get a costume finished by then, I'll only have 3 days of non-work between now and the 18th. I might put forth a good effort to do so, though. MechaCon looks like something would hate to miss the opportunity to see.

That's great about the studio tour. It's my life's ambition to eventually work in the movie business, so I can appreciate how exciting that must be. I'm trying to get my foot in the door by working with local theatre companies and independent filmmakers to build up a decent body of work. I hope you have a blast!  Cheesy
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #96 on: July 09, 2010, 03:20:49 am »

The fun part (IMVHO) of Cons is the costuming, but if all you can do is shorts and a t-shirt you must still make it, large Cons usually have many things to do and marvel at.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #97 on: July 12, 2010, 05:53:50 am »

Okay five days until MechaCon
Miss Cordelia Ambrose
Gunner

« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2010, 06:18:58 am »

I'm planning on making it on Sunday, but only if I can find someone to come with me. I don't do New Orleans by myself.  Undecided
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2010, 07:21:37 am »

Take lots of pictures, you guys!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: