The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 04:59:55 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans area Steamyness?  (Read 10560 times)
Sir Robert
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »

The problem is the place of meetings.  New Orleans has a buncha SteamPunk things to do for example Steamboat tours of the Mississippi River, but not everyone can make the trip.  More convenient locations have little or nothing (SteamPunk or otherwise) to do.

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
sevenlies
Officer

Hier kommt der panzermensch!

sevenlies
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2010, 03:15:05 pm »

The problem is the place of meetings.  New Orleans has a buncha SteamPunk things to do for example Steamboat tours of the Mississippi River, but not everyone can make the trip.  More convenient locations have little or nothing (SteamPunk or otherwise) to do.

I live on the Northshore, but I have transport (have TARDIS will travel) so if anyone else is from that area I don't mind giving rides into New Orleans, or Baton Rouge, or wherever we decide to meet.  Smiley

Some gathering ideas for all ages:

- I love the steamboat idea - as long as I've lived here I've never been on one of the big paddlewheels!  I'm down for that if anyone else is.
- If anyone builds/sews/crafts their steampunk stuff, we could have a craft gathering.  We could get ideas from one another and tips and tricks.  I do some sewing, a little jewelry making, and some basic crafts.  This could easily be at someone's house or apartment, depending on the amount of people.  Even those who can't craft could come and we could discuss books, watch movies, etc.
- We could take a day and hit up thrift stores/Buffalo Exchange to help everyone find more dashing ensembles.
- There's a few places that hold high tea (The Windsor Court is the main one I'm thinking of).  I've done that before with friends and it's really fun, but a bit expensive.

Above 21 gatherings:

- Pravda on Lower Decatur is EXCELLENT.  It's all dim light and candlelight, lots of tables and chairs, has a great courtyard in the back, and most importantly - serves different varieties of absinthe (along with other alcoholic beverages).  Sometimes the music is kept low so people can talk, but other nights it's loud and there's dancing in the courtyard.
- Wednesday nights, Rubyfruit Jungle on Lower Decatur hosts "Corrosion", a goth/EBM night.  No cover charge.
- Also at Rubyfruit on Saturday nights, there is "Dominion", a goth night that starts at 10 or 11 pm in the upstairs bar.  $3 cover charge.
- Sunday nights, the Dragon's Den on Esplanade hosts "Attrition", another goth night.  No cover charge.
- There is also a group called Shadow Gallery that puts on themed dance nights every month and I know they've done steampunk nights before.  They're usually at the Dragon's Den on Friday or Saturday nights, but I think they may have moved.  I'll have to keep an eye out for their next event.
- There is a monthly fetish party called Moulin Vieux that has done steampunk themed nights before.  I believe they are typically at the Dragon's Den, but I can't remember (and I'm at work so I can't look them up).

I don't know who would be interested in the "goth" scene - but I think you could dress to the nines there and you'd probably hear a lot of complimentary comments.  I'm also trying to think of some "inside" locations so we can get together during the summer.  As much as I love my long skirts and corsets, they're damned stifling in the summer.  That and my blasted goggles fog up.  Smiley

Any other ideas?  I'm just full of coffee and thoughts this morning.

Iphigenia P. Askew
Founding member of The Ladies Supernatural Exterminators Association - New Orleans Local no. 13

Seven lies multiplied by seven
Multiplied by seven again
Seven angels with seven trumpets
Send them home on the morning train
Erland Calwallader
Snr. Officer

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2010, 07:55:15 pm »

I have transport (have TARDIS will travel)

You have a Tardis!?! I am so jealous.

Any of those locations near the Amtrak station? It am thinking about an overnight junt.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2010, 08:13:00 pm »

I have transport (have TARDIS will travel)

You have a Tardis!?! I am so jealous.

Any of those locations near the Amtrak station? It am thinking about an overnight junt.

Grin

The locations and their general areas:
Steamboat/Pravda/Rubyfruit Jungle/Dragon's Den - French Quarter
Windsor Court - downtown
Buffalo Exchange - Magazine/Uptown

The train station is downtown - anything in the French Quarter or downtown can be walked to, or you can take a fairly short cab ride.  (I wouldn't suggest catching the bus - it's PAINFULLY unreliable.)  As for Uptown - hoof it or cab it to St. Charles and take the streetcar, which is a bit more reliable than the bus.  Walking to the FQ is easy-peasy when you disembark at St. Charles and Canal.  Most of the (reliable) hotels are located either downtown, in the FQ, or on St. Charles, so if you stay there you should have no problem getting around.

I seem to talk too much on this thread...   Embarrassed
Erland Calwallader
Snr. Officer

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2010, 09:02:51 pm »

Thank you for the information. I will be watching for more details.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 03:19:17 am »

Jesus Sevenlies you know way too much about the New Orleans Goths! Shocked  Do you have a Sister? Cheesy

Well the ideal is to have a room in or near the French Quarter then go hit the Goth bars so you do not have to drive home drunk or with one.  But all the bars don't start hopping until late like ten or midnight.

In New Orleans SteamPunks are Goth.

Now we also have the issue of the 18-20 SPs, (and the sub 18 SPs) they can not get into most bars.  My Daughter is 18 and I can't take her so most of my entertainment is of the non-drinking kind.  I am very interested in fun that can be had with her.  But still there is a lot to do outside the bar scene. 

Some of my personal interests are Sci-Fi and Costuming I would love to sit down with other costumers and trade notes because right now I have three costumes in various stages of construction.

So here are some options where we could meet:
1. Sci-fi/anime conventions,
2. Mardi Gras,
3. Some place with tables for costuming
4. New Orleans for Steamy tourism
5. New Orleans for Steamy Bar hopping

Now of course these can be combined so all ages stuff can be done in the day and Adult Stuff at night.

As to why I'm so enthused to meet LA area SteamPunks, simple I lost most all my friends and acquaintances to Katrina, they left and never came back.  I am interested in rebuilding the network of Sci-Fi fans and the fun we used to have.  The old clubs still exist on paper for example BabelCon was started by Babylon 504 the Con goes on but I have not seen one single one of the original members. Star One Delta split and each half has about 7 members now.  I don't have any notions of starting a SteamPunk club, too much hassle for no gain, I just want to meet people and have some fun.

sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2010, 02:20:03 pm »

Jesus Sevenlies you know way too much about the New Orleans Goths! Shocked  Do you have a Sister? Cheesy

Cheesy  No sister, sorry.  Just a younger brother.

I used to go to the Crystal - been going to most of the bars that took it's place after it closed, too.  I also used to play in assorted Vampire LARPs around New Orleans, and a few other players and friends were into the goth scene.  I don't go nearly as often as I did when I was a kid - full time job, mundane life, and all that.  I still prefer Lower Decatur's bars and clubs, especially goth nights because when I like to dress up I don't get odd comments and snide remarks.

Now we also have the issue of the 18-20 SPs, (and the sub 18 SPs) they can not get into most bars.  My Daughter is 18 and I can't take her so most of my entertainment is of the non-drinking kind.  I am very interested in fun that can be had with her.  But still there is a lot to do outside the bar scene.

I know there are a few of the under-21 variety that are into the steampunk scene and I don't think they should be excluded at all.  The more the merrier, no matter what age you are or think you are!

As to why I'm so enthused to meet LA area SteamPunks, simple I lost most all my friends and acquaintances to Katrina, they left and never came back.  I am interested in rebuilding the network of Sci-Fi fans and the fun we used to have.  The old clubs still exist on paper for example BabelCon was started by Babylon 504 the Con goes on but I have not seen one single one of the original members. Star One Delta split and each half has about 7 members now.  I don't have any notions of starting a SteamPunk club, too much hassle for no gain, I just want to meet people and have some fun.

I would like to put together a group, but something not structured at all, just a group in name only.  I ran an anime club for a very short time and it was a LOT of hassle, so I understand where you're coming from with that.

I do believe you and I must run in the same circles, Sir Robert.  I was the head of gaming for Crescent City Con for four years before it ended, and I worked on the staff of CoastCon for a year or two.  (Did my time as the Secretary one year, and that was enough for me.)  Now I'm curious as to who you are!  Smiley
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2010, 09:35:29 pm »

Will I see you at CoastCon Sevenlilies?
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:02 pm »

Sadly, no.  Due to Mr. Lies unforeseen foray into the Treacherous Land of Unemployment, he is now a Full Time Man of Leisure.  We can only attend one convention out of town this year, which will be MobiCon.  Will you be attending?

I will also be at MechaCon, at least all day Saturday.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2010, 10:51:49 pm »

I've never even heard of MobiCon.

Can you give a brief list of near by Cons that you know of?

I listed the ones I know.

Do you know Matt Tessier?
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2010, 11:08:54 pm »

The ones you know of are the ones I know of.  BabelCon, CoastCon, MechaCon.  MobiCon is in Mobile, AL, in mid-May. 

I usually see Matt at MobiCon - both my husband and I know Matt through the con scene.

Looks like this is turning more into a discussion about conventions than New Orleans steampunks!  Wink
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2010, 01:47:10 am »

For the record I'm Matt's cousin, we met at Tower Con in 1988 and became best friends, later we found out we were related.

True it is becoming about that but Cons are, without a doubt, one of the few places that SteamPunks can meet up.  So far the only place that we can agree on is to meet at "The Con."

This whole thread is about meeting up and doing Steamy things.  I am all for any SteamPunk get together in New Orleans for any purpose at any time.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?  There seems to be some interest, what needs to be done to make it happen?
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2010, 02:34:01 am »

Stuff to do in New Orleans and the vicinity that might be Steamy:

Conventions:
   CoastCon, Biloxi, March 5-7
   BabelCon, Baton Rouge, March 19-21
   MobiCon, Mobile, May 14-16
   MechaCon, New Orleans, July 16-18

Mardi Gras:
   Already started weekend parades, but non-stop Feb 10-16
dabreegster
Officer

Eating from the small arcana of the frying pan

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2010, 08:13:28 pm »

Does anybody plan on attending any Baton Rouge parades?
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2010, 03:31:52 pm »

Does anybody plan on attending any Baton Rouge parades?

I can honestly say I didn't know that Baton Rouge had parades.  Smiley
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2010, 04:06:30 pm »

Actually they have some nice ones, I used to go with my ex-GF as her family has some great tailgating spots staked out.  Every bit as much fun as the ones in NO but without the gunfire.  I am debating wheather or not to ask if I can party with them.
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2010, 04:11:49 pm »

Actually they have some nice ones, I used to go with my ex-GF as her family has some great tailgating spots staked out.  Every bit as much fun as the ones in NO but without the gunfire.  I am debating wheather or not to ask if I can party with them.

That's one of the reasons I like The Original Krewe of Orpheus here in Mandeville.  My stepdad rides every year and the crowds are just fun and friendly.  No fights, no rude people, just everyone having a good time.
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2010, 05:05:33 pm »

The "family friendly" parade is most certainly Southdowns on the 12th. Spanishtown on the 13th is still safe, but the crowds are larger and rowdier.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2010, 03:32:13 pm »

I am still debating Baton Rouge vs New Orleans Mardi Gras, so who wants to do a Steampunk get together in Baton Rouge for a Parade?  Can we get enough people to made the trip worth it?  New Orleans, how many?

Meanwhile for those in the mid-South and South West of Louisiana, Con du Lac 11-13 June Lake Charles.

http://www.condulac.net/site2008/index.php
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2010, 03:52:25 pm »

I am still debating Baton Rouge vs New Orleans Mardi Gras, so who wants to do a Steampunk get together in Baton Rouge for a Parade?  Can we get enough people to made the trip worth it?  New Orleans, how many?

Meanwhile for those in the mid-South and South West of Louisiana, Con du Lac 11-13 June Lake Charles.

http://www.condulac.net/site2008/index.php

I would like to but I have plans on the 12th and 13th.  Sad

Looks like Con du Lac is a new convention - I'll have to keep an eye out to see what their plans are!
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2010, 03:04:54 am »

Well, not to completely derail the conversation, but it looks like I'm definitely going to be at Babelcon!  I hope to meet everyone there.

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.  Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.  And we shall flow a river for to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.  In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
dabreegster
Officer

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2010, 03:35:44 am »

Likewise, just got my tickets. ^^ I'll also be at the Southdown and Spanishtown parade previously mentioned, if anybody wants contact info, PM me
sevenlies
Officer

sevenlies
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2010, 03:07:05 pm »

Looks like I'll be attending BabelCon as well - at the very least on Saturday.  I just sent in my registration.  I'm considering getting a hotel room but I have to check my finances first.

Would everyone like to meet up somewhere for introductions, discussion, and/or photographs in our finery?  Smiley
Grimnr Veilwalker
Officer

To Protect the Light, We must use a DarkHammer!

« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2010, 07:44:07 pm »

I think we may also get to BabelCon. If so it will be the first con Ive gotten to in at least 9 years...Wow I feel old.

Grimnr Veilwalker
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 10:59:41 pm »

You are at Ft. Polk?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: