The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 03:45:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Orleans area Steamyness?  (Read 10508 times)
Sir Robert
Officer
United States United States

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2010, 05:41:26 am »

New things in New Orleans:

Sevenlies turned me on to this:

Nerdnitenola

Monthly:

NERD NITE NOLA!

We are very excited to invite you to the inaugural Nerd Nite NOLA!
Nerd Nite is less an event and more of a movement taking place around the world and now we're part of it!
Our friends at BSI Comics have opened their doors for us and how appropriate the first event takes place in a comic book store. It's shaping up to be uber-nerdy. Are you in?

SPEAKERS:
We have some really smart and awesome speakers booked for the first New Orleans event, including Ted Breaux of Lucid absinthe. Ted Breaux is a chemist/microbioligist/research scientist and is responsible for helping to lift the ban on absinthe in the States. He'll be breaking down the science behind absinthe and hopefully giving us a little taste! We are very lucky to snag Mr. Breaux, as he lives most of the time in France producing his tasty beverages!
We will also have Tony Skratchere providing a talk on the Science of Skratching and providing some beats for us throughout the night.
Don't forget the best part next to all the nerdy learning: FREE BEER! We'll have beer sponsorship (TBA) and a keg of something delicious. You must be 21 to partake, kids!
Need more information? Check us out on the internetz:

Main site: www.nerdnite.com
Local site: http://nerdnitenola.posterous.com
Twitter: @nerdnitenola
Email: CHAMP@NERDNITE.COM

You guys missed the last one Friday, next in one month!  Be there and be square.

To follow up the next morning I started a quest to find some absinthe, we (Mistress Estelle and I) started with the Pharmacy Museum:

http://www.pharmacymuseum.org/

We found Absinthe bottles but sadly no absinthe.

Next the Absinthe museum:

http://www.absinthemuseumofamerica.com/home.htm

There we found absinthe spoons and glasses for sale but once again no actual absinthe.

But we knew that PRAVDA had absinthe (once again thanks to Sevenlies).

http://www.pravdaofnola.com/

Unfortunately it was early yet and Pravda was not yet open, what to do?  What was available? We hit the National WWII Museum, very Dieselpunk:

http://www.ddaymuseum.org/

Finally we arrived at PRAVDA and the lovely bartender (Katie?) mixed us up some absinthe.  Good stuff!

Did I mention that we took a Steamboat luncheon cruse  on the Mississippi river some where in there?

Steampunk Forever!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:10:36 pm by Sir Robert » Logged

Sir Robert, Soldier, Gentleman Adventurer, all around nice guy.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #101 on: August 31, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

Next NerdNiteNola somewhere in the Week of Sept 8-12.

More details as known, there will be a "Origin of Steampunk" class.
SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #102 on: September 13, 2010, 10:14:26 am »

Dear Sir Robert,

I have been seeking other time travelers such as myself here in NOLA and I happened to stumble across this forum. I have keeping company with a Krewe of Wenches and their pirates for the past few years to bide my time. I feel it is high time find more suitable companions to spend my time with (one can only hear ARRGH! so many times). I see in your past excursions you have been searching for those memories of times gone by when steam ruled this world. I have been kicking around a few ideas and would like to know if you would like interested in hearing them. (Things to do places to go when to do them etc etc)

If your find any of what I has said intriguing please contact me here or at one of the following...

http://www.myspace.com/steampunkamericans
Steampunkamericans@gmail.com

May your fire always be stoked and your boilers always be full,
Professor Mal Corazon

Unable to return to our own time we have chose to reside in New Orleans, where the ships still run on steam & the Absinthe flows like water.

Professor Mal Corazon
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2010, 01:21:25 am »

Dear Professor Mal

I was heartened to hear another voice in the wilderness, welcome.

There are a few of us in New Orleans, perhaps we should get together?

Next up is Nerd Nite NOLA, some time later this month, where I shall give a presentation on the history and origins of Steampunk.  I would love to see you there.  Would you care to help with the presentation?  Let me know.

First do not throw out your pirate clothing, for there are Airship Pirates that we may need to infiltrate at some point.

Sir Robert
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2010, 03:44:05 pm »

I am still working on my presentation for Nerd Nite NOLA.  It just keeps getting bigger, not well polished nor refined but bigger.  I have only a twenty minute block to fill up and I am there already.  Maybe some illustrations?  I am still awaiting an exact date/time on the next Nerd Nite, the 8-12th was a no-go.  (It seems that the venue is the hold up.)

Professor Mal and I got together yesterday and had a lot of fun.  Oddly I found him surrounded by a large entourage of airship pirate wenches, one wonders where such a fine gentleman fell in with such a disreputable crowd.

The bottom line is that there will be many (additional) SteamPunk things to do in the New Orleans area in the very near future.  Stay tuned to this thread for further details.
SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2010, 08:08:58 am »

Good Day Everyone,

Thanks for the intro Sir Robert and it was great to meet with you and get the boiler fired up. I'm looking forward to meeting more steampunks here in NOLA. I have added the invite on this Steampunk Forum and various other sites across the web (Below is the quote). Hopefully it will be a good turn out for the 1st meeting. Gear up! Cause it's "Full Steam Ahead!

1st Consortium
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sincerely,
Steampunk Americans
Professor Mal Corazon

New Steam in New Orleans (1st Meeting)

Steampunk Americans are in the beginning stages of creating a New Orleans based Steampunk society. You are invited to the first meeting on  Saturday October 16th , 2010. This is a  meeting to determine what type of government, the overall agenda and future expeditions of Steampunk Americans.

This meeting will be for any and all Steampunk enthusiasts.

Come one!
Come all!

Whether you are just a costumer, rennie, enventor, cowboy or even a pirate. Grab some goggles and come along for the adventure!

Where: Royal Blend Coffee & Tea House http://www.royalblendcoffee.com/
When: 4:00 pm Saturday Oct. 16th

Note: There will be a Bar~Crawl at the conclusion of the meeting. Both activities will be "Dutch Treat".

R.S.V.P. Steampunkamericans@gmail.com

Add us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/people/Steampunk-Americans/100001537726290
Add us on MySpace http://www.myspace.com/steampunkamericans

Check out our new website http://www.wix.com/steampunkamericans/2010
Inmora
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2010, 01:41:41 am »

Oh thank god, more Louisiana people. lol But yea I posted in the East forum cause I didn't see this one in time, but from Slidell here. New to the forums and starting to work on my first outfit.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2010, 04:24:58 pm »

Next Nerd Nite NOLA!

Yes I finally heard back from Champ Superstar, here it is:

La Nuit Theater, 5039 Freret St. New Orleans

11 October 2010

There will be a SteamPunk presentation.

Sir Robert
Inmora
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2010, 05:07:47 pm »

Sounds interesting, Not sure if I can make it, depending if my um.. that 4 wheeled thing is fixed or not.
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2010, 10:23:47 pm »

First of all, welcome Inmora!

Next this is three weeks away so if you start walking now, you can be there by then. Smiley

Seriously I can relate, my daughter ran her car into the ground so I gave her my runner and I am stuck with her non-running vehicle.  I too will have to get my fingers dirty so that I can make it my self but I will be there come hell or high water.
Inmora
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »

thanks for the welcome.

Yea my rear defintral (sp) went out on my avalanche. Hoping it will be fixed by the 30th, but... -crosses fingers- Other than that Im ridding around a honda rebel 250 back and forth to work. lol Hey its cheap on gass.
SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #111 on: September 27, 2010, 04:05:12 am »

Next Nerd Nite NOLA!

Yes I finally heard back from Champ Superstar, here it is:

La Nuit Theater, 5039 Freret St. New Orleans

11 October 2010

There will be a SteamPunk presentation.

Sir Robert
So Nerd Night is on Monday night? We should be able make this event then. We plan to be back from Alabama Sunday.  Do we need tickets, RSVP or what?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 04:07:48 am by SteampunkAmericans » Logged
Inmora
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

Sir Robert, If you don't mind, what time will this be happening?

And if all possible anyone from the Slidell area going to this, will it be possible for me to catch a ride? Willing to pay for gas! Smiley
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2010, 12:36:11 am »

Dear Friends

RSVP to:

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/912361899/?invite=&err=29&referrer=&discount=&affiliate=&eventpassword=

WHEN: Monday, October 11, 2010 – 7pm to 10pm.

WHERE: La Nuit Theater, 5039 Freret (at Soniat)

WHO: Nerds, geeks, dweebs, and totally normal people welcome.

WHY: General nerdery.

I understand that the big hold-up was the venue, the last place was packed, like more than standing room only packed.

More information at: http://nola.nerdnite.com/updates-2/
SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #114 on: October 12, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »

Few photos from Nerd Night NOLA.

Sir Robert's presentation

New Orleans Steampunks
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »

Obviously from the above photograph Nerd Nite NOLA #2 was a success in that we managed to get the word out that there are SteamPunks in New Orleans.  Many thanks to Sevenlies and Del.

Next on 16 October we (SteamPunk Americans) had our first meeting at the Royal Blend in the French Quarter of New Orleans.  Twenty of us in full SteamPunk regalia then went pub crawling to let the world know that there is now a SteamPunk organization in town.  Anastacia Ternasky and Laura Laws of the band Morella & The Wheels of If joined us for the outing.  By the way I am listening to their album Shipwrecked (it is quite good) as I write this.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15941&id=100001537726290

I will continue to post updates on Steampunk activities in New Orleans.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:15:11 am by Sir Robert » Logged
SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2010, 10:23:10 pm »

Obviously from the above photograph Nerd Nite NOLA #2 was a success in that we managed to get the word out that there are SteamPunks in New Orleans.  Many thanks to Sevenlies and Del.

Next on 16 October we (SteamPunk Americans) had our first meeting at the Royal Blend in the French Quarter of New Orleans.  Twenty of us in full SteamPunk regalia then went pub crawling to let the world know that there is now a SteamPunk organization in town.  Anastacia Ternasky and Laura Laws of the band Morella & The Wheels of If joined us for the outing.  By the way I am listening to their album Shipwrecked (it is quite good) as I write this.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=15941&id=100001537726290

I will continue to post updates on Steampunk activities in New Orleans.

Want to know who was there & where we did? Well check out the portrait page on our website...
http://www.wix.com/steampunkamericans/2010/portraits

SteampunkAmericans
Deck Hand

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2010, 04:52:22 pm »

Our 1st meeting was an overwhelming success!  We had over 20 people in attendance. Some in came in attire, some came with apparatuses but all where enthusiastic to be apart of New Orleans own Steampunk society. There where many things discussed during the meeting. First item we discussed was having a “Maker Day” (ie: creating costume pieces, modifying guns and building apparatus just to name a few).  We also discussed group “Expeditions” (ie: movie night, attending La Ren-Fest,  having a photo shoot and even a steamboat cruise).  We now that we have better idea of where and what, we  can look into scheduling and putting together some  fun things to do. Keep those goggles lenses clean and watch for update on these events and more!

Steampunk Americans
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2010, 04:09:49 pm »

Although it will not be SteamPunk this evening, Nerd Nite NOLA #3 will be attractive to most of us.

Wednesday, November 10 at Republic (828 S. Peters) from 7 to 10 PM.

Be there and be square!
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

Anyone considering BabelCon again this year?  I'm trying to convince my parents to let me go.

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.  Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.  And we shall flow a river for to Thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be.  In nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."
Sir Robert
Officer

« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2011, 04:25:11 am »

Ms Collins

Long time no see.  I was wondering if you had dropped off the end of the Earth or not.

I rarely miss BableCon as it is close and put on by friends of mine, I had not planned on making it a SteamPunk event but it most certainly can be.  Our friend Debrigster has gone off to UT Austin and is unlikely to make it.  Shall we see if we can generate some interest?

Sir Robert
Ms. Elisabeth Collins
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:13 am »

No, I'm still here.  Bloody university has gotten in the way of everything.  I'm tentatively planning to   go, and will hopefully have my new Steampunk attire ready!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: