The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 24, 2018, 01:48:12 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Minnesota Steampunks  (Read 16401 times)
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mystery Airship Captain

« on: January 07, 2010, 01:51:18 am »

This land is your land
this land our land
from the Mississippi river
to right outside of Fargo
from the Greenwood forest
to the Great superior waters

This land was made for you and me

All Minnesota Steampunks sound off

"We often mingle with the world, but our discovery is hidden away, as it can be in a small compass, and no one suspects who or what we are. We pass as tourists among our fellow-men" - Mystery Airship Pilot 1858-1898
Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:48:29 am »

Who me?  Southern suburbs of the cities here. Pleased to meet you. Smiley

The mind is like a parachute, its best when open.
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

Does it count if I was born there? If not, diregard.

You know its gonna be a good session when the tech priest rides into battle on the back of a gun-servitor.

There is an extra gear in The Great Machine of the cosmos tonight.
In memory of Richard 'Datamancer' Nagy - 2013
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:02 pm »

Being born here counts you betcha!
BrethrenAndBetrayer
Snr. Officer
Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 11:32:40 am »

Fair enough then Smiley
Gryphon
Snr. Officer

A is for Aether

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 05:28:20 pm »

Greetings from a Cheesehead neighbor two hours' drive east of the Twin Cities.  I spent two years attending MCAD, once had an apartment on southern Nicollet Ave in Minneapolis, shopped at Ragstock when it was still cool, and still make regular runs to Sterling and Express Composites for shop supplies - do I get an honorary membership?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:33:55 pm by Gryphon » Logged

Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 10:15:35 am »

Absouluty Sir!
And Welcome.
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 04:48:23 am »

Hallo. I am from Texas, but will be working in St. Cloud for the next few months. Most happy to buy the beer for a Meetup in Stearns County or environs.

The Squire

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 04:21:05 am »

I thought that other Minnesota Steampunks would find this interesting.
Count Ferdinand Von Zeppelin may have taken his first Ascension into the sky in my home town!

Pig's Eye, Minnesota. Well officially known as St. Paul, MN.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:24:02 am by Voltin » Logged
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2010, 05:57:00 pm »

From the Minneapple also.

There's a new "Makers" group that started in the Twin Cities might be of interest for prop making. http://www.tcmaker.org

They are having a Maker Minne-Faire at the Hack Factory today Feb. 13th, 2010 from 2 PM – 11 PM. I'll be there for a couple hours demonstrating a little hand-powered lathe that I built http://www.historicgames.com/lathes/mylathe.html

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:24 am »

Anyone going to Minicon on Easter weekend? //www.mnstf.org/minicon45/ We haven't been there since they scaled back the size of it a few years ago but are attending this year
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:34 pm »

I'm underwhelmed with the down-scaled Minicon. With only 400 or so attendance compared to 4000-some at CONvergence there's not a wide enough range of programming that interests me, and not enough of our old friends here to party with. humph.
Historian
Gunner

steamcentury
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:18:55 pm »

How disappointing, at CONvergence I almost always have people trying to get me (and the rest of the SC gang) to go to Minicon.

groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 11:23:10 pm »

Maybe 6, or 10 people in costume that I saw Saturday. Four party rooms next to the pool, there may have been more but others did nothing to decorate to indicate they were an open party. At least the hot tub didn't get foamy by Saturday night...
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

Another happy resident of Pig's Eye.  Up on the 'Bluff.

Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 07:28:01 pm »

Hello HettyB
I live right down the Bluff across the ol' Mississippi from Down town Pig's Eye.
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 02:37:25 pm »

How excellent Voltin!  We're neighbors!  Unless you are referring to Summit, I live on the low-rent bluff.  I've just moved to the Bluff and find it quite ... um ... interesting. Wink  I do love it, though.  Never got to see a No Knock Warrant put into action until the local constabulary arranged a surprise visit for our next door neighbor. Cheesy 

Maybe this summer we could arrange a promenade along Mounds Park.  Beautiful park, beautiful view.
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 01:49:23 am »

I love mounds park. That is where my wife and I first kissed. I would not dare walk around up there after dark though. It is truely sad that the crime level has risen in several neighborhoods around the Twin Cities  Sad

However I still believe it to be one of the best places to live in the United States.

I know I am not the first to suggest it here, but we should organize an outing this year at the MN Renaissance Festival  Wink
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 01:53:49 am by Voltin » Logged
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:12:52 am »

So who else is going to CONvergence in July?
http://www.convergence-con.org/
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:36:40 am »

I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to CONvergence. If I do I will most likely be going in my TIE Fighter Pilot costume  Wink
Mr. Danali Walker-Manx
Gunner

Armchair adventurer

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 08:01:13 am »

I love mounds park. That is where my wife and I first kissed. I would not dare walk around up there after dark though. It is truely sad that the crime level has risen in several neighborhoods around the Twin Cities  Sad

However I still believe it to be one of the best places to live in the United States.

I know I am not the first to suggest it here, but we should organize an outing this year at the MN Renaissance Festival  Wink

I entered this world at Mounds Park. Well, actually the old hospital at Mounds Park. My formative years were spent just a little downriver, in the town originally known as Vermillion, but was later changed to Newport.

Sometimes I long to return to my hometown...

Currently, I find myself residing in the Northwest Suburbs, Crystal to be precise.

Is anyone is planning on going to Springcon in a few weeks? My plans are to be there on Saturday. I would also like to make a small plug for Hot Comics in New Hope. I will be helping out on Free Comic Book Day, Saturday next, if anyone is in the area, please drop by and say hello.
HettyB
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 12:51:39 am »

Can't make Convergance this year. Sad  Would love to do a RennFest day.

I'm still thinking that I'll start up a weekly Steampunk Promenade at Mounds Park.  Sure it might just be me, the husband and the dog at first but once I've got a day and a time scheduled I'll post so anyone else interested can join.  What's more Victorian than parading around the park in your Sunday Best?  Might even have to make it on a Sunday, that would fit my schedule a bit better.
phuphuphnik
Officer

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 12:28:14 pm »

I'll be doing some wet plate photographs in Tower, Babbit, and Ely in June. Might bring the Daguerreotype stuff too. I'll be set up doing Tintypes at the Embarrass region fair in August (if she ever gets back to me about reg)
chriso
Moonracer
Snr. Officer

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 05:49:47 pm »

Not likely to make CONvergence this year, but will definatly be out at the Renaissance Festival this year, and I DO plan to be out there at least once in Steamy attire. I'll figure out a date and post it here(probably be opening weekend).

Oh hey would anyone be interested in taking a tour of the LeDuc house in Hastings? Its a restored 1860's Gothic Revial Mansion. Looks cool and might be fun to check out. What I'd do is this, tour the house, after that make a swing by downtown on the waterfront, and perhaps hit the antique stores down there too, and at some point get lunch.

Anyone interested?

Here's the website to check out, gives prices for tours and a list of events that go on through out the year, as well as other stuff.
http://www.dakotahistory.org/LeDuc/home.asp
Voltin
Zeppelin Captain

Mystery Airship Captain

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:55 pm »

HettyB
A Steampunk Promenade at Mounds Park sounds great!

I really hope that I will not have to work every weekend during Ren fest like I had to the last two years.
So far things are lookin good but that could change.

Moonracer
I have noticed in the paper that they have started giving tours of the LeDuc mansion again. That does sound interesting.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:27:52 pm by Voltin » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: