The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2014, 10:44:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to design your very own, personal coat of arms!  (Read 6354 times)
PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« on: January 04, 2010, 11:18:34 am »

i was bored yesterday and remembered a documentation with Terry Jones i saw some days ago and he got his own coat of arms designed so i thought about making my own one! it isn´t finished yet but i´d like to tell you how it goes!

take a piece of paper and draw a typical crest form.. now think about things you like.. for example reading. now you draw a book on the empty crest. think of other things symbolizing stuff you like...  you can also take you favorite animal or pet as heraldic animal!

i´m going to make an update when mine is finished and i´d like you to try making your own crest!!  Cheesy

malgrimace
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 11:48:09 am »

There used to be an amazing website called fleur de lys which was an invaluable tool when it came to creating heraldry. Unfortunately it seems to have disapeared when I took a (very very quick) look for it.

It might be worth looking at your own family crest and incorporating things you like into that Smiley

If you find me arrogant, brash, uncooth, egocentric, unsavory or just generally offensive - you haven't spent nearly enough time in my company!
lilibat
Immortal
United States United States

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 11:49:26 am »

I'm having SCA flashbacks.  Shocked

PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 11:56:20 am »

It might be worth looking at your own family crest and incorporating things you like into that Smiley

i unfortunetly have no family crest.. that´s why i did one on my own
PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 12:00:09 pm »

SCA? ôo

(sorry i´m dumb)
lilibat
Immortal

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 12:31:05 pm »

SCA
Sorontar
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 12:37:17 pm »

The Society for Creative Anachronism or SCA is a worldwide recreation society that officially covers any time before 1600 CE, but in reality covers Europe from around 400 CE to 1604 CE. It has sets of combat rules for "sword fighting", "fencing" etc. but it also has its own College of Arms which helps SCA members register their own unique coat of arms within the society. Since members have a period persona, it is the persona that "owns" the arms, not the person. Therefore, they are hypothetical arms for hypothetical people, which gets no-one in trouble for clashes with real arms for real people (and organisations/cities/countries).

The SCA heraldic rules try to "match" real rules but the Society has the problem of Europe being large and varied, the period covering a long time and some old Society rules not being as .... accurate. But one of the primary aspects of the SCA is fun, hence the "creative" aspect of its name. So most members put up with it.

Sorontar, a semi-active SCA member

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:41:48 pm »

wow O.O

okay i learned something ^^'

thanks
darkshines
Master Tinkerer
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »

My university coat of arms RULES:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Zwack
Zeppelin Overlord

And introducing the wonderful Irish (Mrs Z).

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 03:53:17 pm »

Another common method in the UK was to base the coat of arms on a word play of the name.  

For example the coat of arms of Coningsby consists of three Rabbits (or Coneys).

Z.

"At least those oddballs are interesting" - My Wife.
I'm British but living in America.  This might explain my spelling.
PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 06:24:16 pm »

My university coat of arms RULES:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wow.... too sad german universities or schools don´t have crests...
clockwork creation
Immortal

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 05:45:49 pm »

I love the crest at paddington station  Smiley

I am a freak in control not a control freak
malgrimace
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 10:07:33 pm »

Ah Lord Leonatus de guilles, former chatelaine of Pont Alarch, Insular Draconis at your service! Au chante Tongue *bow*
Professor Ambrose Maycock
Officer

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 05:25:19 am »

There used to be an amazing website called fleur de lys which was an invaluable tool when it came to creating heraldry. Unfortunately it seems to have disapeared when I took a (very very quick) look for it.

Would this be the site you were referring to ?

http://www.fleurdelis.com/
helios
Immortal
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:40:48 pm »

Here are a few links regarding heraldry.

"Symbolism of Heraldry", by Melissa Snell. There's 5 pages worth, make sure you look through them all.

"Heraldry in History, Poetry and Romance", by Ellen J. Millington. A full book on symbolism, if you have time.

Excerpts from W. Cecil Wade's "The Symbolisms of Heraldry or A Treatise on the Meanings and Derivations of Armorial Bearings"

And the various heraldry articles from Wikipedia are, to the best of my amatuer knowledge, reasonably accurate, and may be worth a perusal.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Gazongola
Immortal
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 05:48:13 am »

If anybody in the UK is interested, you could contact to College of Arms. Of course, you will have to pay £4,225 for the privelige of being granted the arms if your application is accepted, but I for one will one day probably go mad and pay that much to get one!  Cheesy
T.Taylor the Third
Zeppelin Admiral

A Crazy man

thethirdtea
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 06:26:12 am »

I designed a Coat of arms / family Emblem. Its more on the lines of the Girl genius Emblems than a true coat of arms, but if anyone is interested i can post a picture of it

-“I warn you, if you bore me, I shall take my revenge.”
malgrimace
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 10:41:42 am »

I've got two family crests.

The first one from my Irish side; the Scholey family originated from Scandinavia when William the Conqueror's nephew, the Earl of Tonsig moved to Scandinavia. The family name came over to Ireland with the first of the Viking settlers.

The second is from my mothers side of the family, which is the Mckinnon family crest. I've not researched that side as much. I know there's a crest and a clan badge as well, which is a boars head surrounded by a belt.

I did a little digging Pocky, and I found yours as well:

It seems there are hints that the family names has some association with the German feudal system and may possibly be Jewish in origin. You can read more about that here: http://www.4crests.com/lohmann-coat-of-arms.html
Sorontar
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 01:45:55 pm »

Um, for England at least, there are no such things as "family crests or arms". Heraldry is granted to an individual. A dad's arms is different to his son's. The son can inherit his dad's arms, but whilst they are both alive, only one can use them.

Sorontar
PockyNightmare
Zeppelin Admiral
Germany Germany

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 03:14:36 pm »

woooo thanks honey!!!!
but it´s some kinda boring xDDD

i love the coa of your mother o.o
Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Overlord

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:43 pm »

This for my mother's family (from the 4crest website):

My dad's name has evolved too much over the years to show up on any searches (trust me, I have looked Wink ). 

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.
delCano
Snr. Officer
Spain Spain

Gravatar

elKano_L
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 10:00:13 pm »

I have found there are at least 6 distinct origins of my family name, and none is mine. However, I have also found 9 coats of arms related to the name here. However, since there is a plausible theory that we are descendants of the brother of Juan Sebastian de Elcano, who had no sons, I suppose I could adopt his coat of arms: an earth surrounded by the sentence: Primus Circundedisti Me. A bit arrogant, maybe?
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:09 pm »

Here's mine:

If you need assistance in designing your own, contact the fine people at the International Association of Amateur Heralds: http://www.amateurheralds.org/ ask them nicely and they'll design a very nice COA for you - they did mine about 6 years ago. As they are hobbyists, there is no charge for it either, though that was back then, things may have changed since then..

Lady Deborah Butcher
Deck Hand

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:00 pm »

I'm looking for help with two, separate coats of arms. I'm looking to 'properly' reconstruct the coat of arms that I have in my signet ring (my actual, "coat of arms" which is legitimate etc) and I'm also looking to design a coat of arms from scratch, for aesthetic purposes. I'd like to add a modern spin to it, and I'd probably end up ignoring a few rules of heraldry, hehe.
My question is, would the IAAH be able to help me with my 'reconstruction' of my legitimate arms, and is there anywhere I can find resources for the design- say on a program such as Photoshop- of the whimsical arms?
--
Thanks for reading my confusing wall of text, have a nice day.  Grin
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 08:27:16 pm »

Most definatwely try contacting them about your COA, I'm sure they could help you out. Probably also on the "fun" coa, just ask Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: