The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
February 24, 2020, 05:43:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Jobs  (Read 26053 times)
Tardis_42
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2011, 07:37:12 pm »

What about Time Travelling Engineer and Scientist

Tardis_42

------------------------------
funnyphotosandthings.wordpress.com
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2011, 07:23:23 pm »

Experimental Weapons technician. And believe me, I have ideas.

The Aerosol LSD Gas Bomb is very popular, in spite a high degree of "accidents".

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
TVC15
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2011, 12:22:55 am »

Aleister, You have got to stop experimenting on yourself.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
Sciencegeek1864
Swab

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2011, 08:23:05 am »

I am the lead exo-aetherologist of a team of six who are currently studying Eros and trying to find an aethersphere in it's atmosphere.
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2011, 10:50:16 am »

Aleister, You have got to stop experimenting on yourself.

Well, where's the fun in that? Besides, it's tradition.

Miss Ardith Algor
Gunner

« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2011, 08:30:57 pm »

steampunk twist upon
current studies: airship engineer and designer
current job: governess

to boldly write what no one has written before
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:07 pm »

Cryptozoologist
Travelling play actor
Airship dread pirate
Builder of steambots (a dangerous job, seeing as they become murderous and turn on you eventually!)

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
D.Oakes
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19:15 pm »

Where does the reality end and the steampunk begin?
Allegorical Painter
Collector and Dealer of Curios and Antiquities
Absintheur (Pay me to drink your absinthe with more absinthe)

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over." -Rhett Butler
Prof. Michael Masters
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Aether Academy Labs: Mad Science For the Masses

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 10:55:43 pm »

Anachroarcheologist, reverse engineering history to find out what has yet to be discovered, and what future discoveries lie in the past.

Bloody Brilliant.

Lets see....
Minion Trainer, Aether Janitor, Tesla Ranger

From the Desk of:

Professor Michael Masters
Aether Academy Headmaster
TheodosiaRowatt-Vampire
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2011, 08:20:04 am »

In my case, remover of Airship rats. Airship Exterminator Wink (Hey, if I'm catching a ride I better get fed!)

Don't worry, I don't bite... hard...
Techavon
Officer

« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 10:14:50 pm »

Tobacconist seems fairly Victorian, if not Steampunk.

Professor Oilcan
Zeppelin Captain

Steam in the blood, birthday 10th March,

« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2011, 11:15:13 pm »

"Cartographer" isn't neat enough?

Indeed, so-called 'ordinary' jobs can be fantastic! One of our fellow London and Home Counties steampunks, who goes on these boards by the moniker 'Professor Oilcan', works at a steam museum and gets to drive a steam train, maintain some very large steam-powered water-pumping and industrial engines, and generally mess about with vaporised water to his heart's content!

So jealous!

Indeed I do, I am surrounded by lovely steam engines and victorian architecture daily, its in grained into my soul and I love every minute!!!!!!

Professor G O Pivot Oilcan
Teacher of mad Steam related mayhem, mentor to a few mad scientists and owner of the Imperial Steam Powered Airship and Transportation Company.
celephicus
Officer
Australia Australia

Mensura ergo sum (I measure, therefore I am)

« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2011, 12:06:21 am »

I once worked out a hierarchy of trades involved in Steam Computor Mechanics.

At the bottom are the stokers, which is still a responsible job, holding a constant head of steam for running the Engine.
The Mechanics oil the machine, replace worn out parts, run simple diagnostics.
The Setters may load a new set of Orders (a program to the vulgar herd), and may write simple sets of Orders themselves, providing that a Savant checks said orders before they are executed.
At the top are the Savants, who (quoted from the pamphlet of the "League of Mechanical Computor Trades and Savants":

A Savant's Certificate entitles him or her (the Guild is proud to say that it holds that women may have as good a grasp of Enginry as men, and has many members of the fairer sex) to become the foreman or woman of a Machine Room, and to prepare and execute any Orders that they choose, and may possess the Key to the Micro-Order cabinet of a Babbage Engine, which allows themselves to, in the words of Wordsworth:

And now I see with Heart serene:
  The very Pulse of the Machine.

Of course here in the inventory of Dr. Celephicus we scorn such mechanical dinosaurs! We have designed a Computor running on electro-magneto, using the very latest discovery, the electronic crystal valve, which has the astonishing property of only allowing current to flow in one direction, principals, operating at the speed of thought. In a space the size of a steamer trunk we can pack enough electrical memory to hold 16 thousand numbers, and to be able to do such arithmetical marvels as multiply two numbers in under one second. Orders are submitted to the Engine in a language resembling English, on a modified typewriter. By way of example, the operator need only type "25 567 * ." to have the result printed before his amazed eyes. Of course we have failed to obtain finance for further development of this Machine! And a demonstration before the Airship Lords went disastrously wrong when Igor drooled over the Cabinet of the Machine and received a huge shock of the electric current, which he unfortunately communicated to one of the Lords. We humbly hope that he regains the use of his bladder musculature, and no longer has the wear the special appliance...

I remain, Sirs and Messdames, Your Obt Servt

Dr. Celephicus -- amateur (gentleman) mad scientist
--
"How many L's in disembowelment?"
"What are you doing dear?"
"I'm writing a letter to the Times on treatment of the poor."
Aeryn Halley
Deck Hand

« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2011, 08:36:17 pm »

The profession of astronomer seems to be overlooked here. It would be an useful profession, don't you think, chaps? Why, they could be employed to calculate the movement of stars and thus help our clients enjoy the stargazing tours on airships more fully, away from the noisy cities.  Grin
Tito Alba
Snr. Officer

Electrospagyrist, Ethnophysiatrist & Anarchodandy

« Reply #64 on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:50 pm »

I'm an anthropologist, a very traditional Victorian profession, and electrospagyrist.

Its an art I picked up during my travels in the far east searching for tea specimens to cultivate in India.  It involves stimulating the body's electrical nervous system using fine needles or electrical currents and derives from the native medical-alchemical practices found in that region.  Paracelsus called the branch of alchemy concerned with making medicines "the spagyric art", hence the electrospagyric art.
Stella Benzine
Swab

Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2020, 09:42:46 pm »

here you can find a lot of -ologist jobs that might find it easier to get options to base on school picks etc.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/61578/15-ologists-and-what-they-study
chicar
Rogue Ætherlord
Canada Canada

Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope

Chicar556
« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2020, 09:48:17 pm »

Here Some Jobs Who May Exist In My Steampunk\Folk Horror Hybrids Imaginary World:

Field Shaman\ Beast Warrior or Warp Spasm Supersoldier\ Jedi-Like War Monk ( any ressemblance with Prof Marvel's recent short story is a happy coincidence, my idea of introducing war shamanism in steampunk battle is more older than that)

Mechanised Chivalry Operator

Archshaman, High-Shaman

Pneumologist ( in the antiquated sens of a soul scientist)

Apothecary,Thaumaturgist (when witch doctors go industrial)

Vivisector

Biomechanician

Golem Engineer

Magitechnician

Maxwell's Daemon Gearbinder

And a more general one, essential to all steam powered civilisation: Collier

« Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 10:02:14 pm by chicar » Logged

The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: