The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 19, 2014, 11:07:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Change your password now! And see our official statement on Heartbleed impact

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Treasure Planet: Battle at Procyon mod  (Read 2401 times)
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« on: December 09, 2009, 07:29:51 pm »

Would anyone be able to help an ignorant wanna-be game hacker? This morning I found an old, incredibly steampunk game of mine that I use to love when I was younger. I came to the realization that the game, haveing been released in 2003 uses relatively old tech that could be easily hacked. so I enter the program files and discover the files are encrypted in a mixture of.wot files and .msb files. I know this isnt the best fourm to post this subject on but I'm curious, would anyone know how to crack these?
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

A tall mouse with huge cogs!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 10:22:18 am »

I don't know the game,  but to mod most games you need the map and model tools used by the developers.

Some games, like half life (1+2), come with tools so you can easily make your own mods.

I'd start by looking if any one else has modded the game before and find out what tools they used.

Popular modifiable games often have a number of community sites around them.

Personally If you want to get into game mods have a look at Half Life or NeverWinter Nights, but come with good mod tools and have humongous communities around them.
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 10:41:43 am »

I've just had a quick look at this, I doubt you'll be able to mod this game.
It's Disney, so they will not let mods happen to their games. Though the idea of a Mickey hot coffee mod is very funny.

It Looks like a RTS battle simulation based on the Treasure Planet film.

Below is a link to a list of games that have had a RTS mod made for them, I think this is a good place to start.

http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&=Search&kw=Search+...&released=def&style=15&theme=def&game=def&type=def]
[url]http://www.moddb.com/mods?filter=t&=Search&kw=Search+...&released=def&style=15&theme=def&game=def&type=def
[/url]
Lord Alacritas
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »

Thanks for all the help, even though this pretty much throws out my idea. But all well
MechanicalMouse
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 02:22:02 pm »

No need to completely chuck out the plans.

Have a look at those RTS mods, I'm sure there will be a fairly easy modifiable RTS game out there. I think Mech Commander has a lot of resources.
patron_vectras
Zeppelin Captain

Student of Architecture; of literature; of life.

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 09:29:19 am »

Battle for Procyon is quite awesome
but I agree that Disney is too tight for any mods

Think of the game that could be made with the engine, though! Replace the aetherium with real simple water or even keep the action in the sky, but with clouds all around.

They took naval warfare and simplified it so well I doubt the most recent Total War game could rival it, even if that particular game actually worked ;]

Keep Running,
Patron Vectras ;]

"Thou shalt not cover thy neighbor’s ox, thy neighbor’s wife, or thy neighbor’s airship" -Cpt. Everett of the Flying Cloud
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: