The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 22, 2019, 04:39:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 194350 times)
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2010, 05:17:14 pm »

'lavender' is really cute, but at least for me it would never feel very steampunk: the local art college does a big deal every year with the normal types (I actually have no idea what school that would be out there) on one side, and the drama and art school kids on the other.  And given that the school colors are gold and purple, well, I'm sure you can see how that shakes out.

"Mary" was also used on this side of the pond, but at least in the old west I'd sort of take any implication that some one wasn't a manly-man as calling him out. 

If there were any other specific terms for it, I'd be curious.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »

So bringing it back to a steampunk sort of topic - what 19th century euphemism would you use to describe LGBTQ stuff? Things like 'lavender' were used, and the 18th century 'Molly'. Later on, you'd have 'friends of Oscar'.

For a more offensive part we have "A bugger" or  "A buggerer". Not quite sure exactly when that word got to mean men sleeping with men, but I´was reading Aleisters Crowleys (1875-1947) biography recently, and seem to remember the word being used quite frequently in comments concerning The Paris Workings, ie. male/male sex-magick
« Last Edit: February 23, 2010, 06:00:07 pm by Dr. Wilson Montgomery » Logged
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »

Ha!  I forgot about that one, and what's more I use it daily.  No one in the States knows what it means (though I'm guessing they could figure it out in context) so when I want to cuss something at work its, "Ahw, bugger!"

(That being said, my understanding of the term was just a particular sex act, associated with but not limited to homosexual men.)
Thor
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2010, 06:50:32 pm »

Yeah, buggery is the act, a bugger is someone who performs it.  Not necessarily gay, but usually male...

Had a gay friend for quite a long time, quite enjoyed being called a 'bummer' (but only by a couple of us, like an in-joke, if a stranger called him it he wouldn't find it funny).  But then we'd have quite graphic conversations and generally upset everyone else.  Had a straight friend who got called 'Bummer/Bummers' too, but his surname was 'Summers' so it was less of a stretch.  We do tend to tell each other that we love/miss the other. 

So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Bastard Man powers, activate! Form of Freud!

« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2010, 08:19:04 pm »

Wilson will know what I'm referring to when I say that we call the majority of gay guys over here 'rumpnissar'. Basically, a very direct translation would be 'butt-elf'...

'He wears a green carnation, you see? He's a man of sensibilities, of inclinations, of preferences, if you follow my drift? No? A violet, then. A man prepared to put the hard things behind him. A switch hitter, playing for the other team. A backdoor bandit. A bent dandy with a career in fudge packing. A salami smuggler who polishes bolognas. A rump wrangler, a flounce, a faggot, as queer as a three dollar bill. Now do you understand me?!'

Personally, I think the 'green carnation' one is a nice touch, if only for the Oscar Wilde reference.

'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2010, 09:18:28 pm »

'rumpnissar' is my new favorite word.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #356 on: February 24, 2010, 01:15:21 am »

Acheron - what is that from? I want to find it! Googling does not avail me.

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2010, 01:31:44 am »

Acheron - what is that from? I want to find it! Googling does not avail me.

That's because it's not a quote. Well, it's not technically a quote, since it was I who originally said it. This girl I know was hopelessly infatuated with another friend of mine, and kept trying to enlist my help in seducing him. And while I tried keeping things private and being evasive for the sake of all involved, at one point she just got too upset and mean-spirited about it all, and I just decided to tell her. 'He putts from the ruff, now stop fussing about!'.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2010, 10:11:26 am »

Ah, I see. You have a clever way with words. I like it. I like the admixture of vulgar and euphemised reference, including a couple I hadn't heard before. I particularly like "a man who likes to put hard things behind him".

I'm almost at a loss to think of a nice 19th century sounding euphemism that doesn't necessarily imply flamboyance. A 19th century bear-ish reference, if you will.
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2010, 12:13:54 pm »

'He wears a green carnation, you see? He's a man of sensibilities, of inclinations, of preferences, if you follow my drift? No? A violet, then. A man prepared to put the hard things behind him. A switch hitter, playing for the other team. A backdoor bandit. A bent dandy with a career in fudge packing. A salami smuggler who polishes bolognas. A rump wrangler, a flounce, a faggot, as queer as a three dollar bill. Now do you understand me?!'

Wonderful way with words!
Reminds me a bit of my favourite line from "Queer as Folk" (UK version, folks. The US-remake is an abomination):

Moderator comment: this post had been edited due to imappropriate content.

EDIT: Ah, so it´s okay to be vulgar, only as long as you wrap it in a flowery language?  Duly noted.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 03:44:50 pm by Dr. Wilson Montgomery » Logged
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

Those vile, homophobic, clay-brained CRETINS!
 Angry
I really honestly do not understand some people. I can't fathom as to how people can actually come up with such vile words towards other human beings.
It's sick.
I am well and truly royally pissed off.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2010, 09:41:51 pm »

wow! i love this thread some of the euphemisms in here are very clever and some I have heard before. I wonder what they would of  called lesbians?

*takes Cornelia's hand and pats it consolingly.* Would you like some sweets and a drink. People really should think unless a fine lady such as you would take serious affront before they say something.

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2010, 10:11:28 pm »

wow! i love this thread some of the euphemisms in here are very clever and some I have heard before. I wonder what they would of  called lesbians?

Well, let's see. Since everyone's heard the old tired ones...

'Pearl diver' and 'clam huntress' are good ones... 'Cherry picker', 'finger artist' and 'garconne' are all moderately sensitive... 'Weasel', 'studmuffin' and 'trapeze artist' are a few I've heard that are just odd...

And this one is rich; I once heard someone say about a lesbian that 'She's a Swedish girl, know what I mean?'. Which was quite odd from my perspective. Said person didn't know where I'm from, naturally...
Emmeline_Leviticus
Deck Hand

« Reply #363 on: February 25, 2010, 01:17:37 am »

Nifty! A queer thread!
Hullo everyone!

I identify as a lesbian, although some people try to protest this as I am dating a non-op trans girl. >.<

Pearl-diver is a great one. I also like the term tipping the velvet. And, Utini, I think "rumnissar" is my new favourite word, too.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #364 on: February 26, 2010, 08:03:11 pm »

the euphemisms are wonderful  Smiley it's always nice to hear alternatives to queer, gay, fag, etc.
yesterday there was a substitute in my orchestra class, and when she called the name of an absent, and openly gay, student, one of the less intelligent (and more obnoxious) members of the orchestra felt the need to shout out "he's gay!"
of course, the teacher told him that it was rude and inappropriate to say such a thing. I got mad and told her the only thing inappropriate was the fact that it was used as an insult. which is why a heated discussion ensued, and I sat in detention for an hour after school. some people I really just can't stand.  Angry

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #365 on: February 26, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »

'eh, keep up the good fight.
Emmeline_Leviticus
Deck Hand

« Reply #366 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »

That's completely ridiculous. At least you stood up and said something, though. I'd wager it was worth the detention?
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #367 on: February 27, 2010, 03:05:16 am »

Apparently I got the detention for being disrespectful and argumentative, but if that's the case the other student should have gotten a detention as well. I really think I made an impression on the class, and if the teacher hadn't been such a hard case it wouldn't have been a big deal. Oh well, some people just don't understand, I guess.
Isabella Stormrift
Snr. Officer

« Reply #368 on: February 27, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »

Apparently I got the detention for being disrespectful and argumentative, but if that's the case the other student should have gotten a detention as well. I really think I made an impression on the class, and if the teacher hadn't been such a hard case it wouldn't have been a big deal. Oh well, some people just don't understand, I guess.

Sounds like the time I got detention for correcting the nun's catechism...

And no, that's NOT a euphemism!  Cheesy
Lady Deborah Butcher
Deck Hand

« Reply #369 on: February 27, 2010, 01:40:52 pm »

I'm pan, but currently with someone of the opposite sex.

Is that 'pan' as in 'Pan-sexual'? Because I'm familiar with Hetro and Homosexuality and I understand Bi-sexuality and asexuality..so what's 'Pan-sexual? Are you attracted to anything (animal, vegetable or mineral?)..are you attracted to kitchenware? Maybe you're attracted to pipe playing Satyrs? Anyway the firewall  thingy on my work PC won't let me look it up on on t'net.

Would you care to explain?...you can PM me if you'd rather...

Y-You're.... familiar with asexuality! Hallelujah!
(That's me, in case you didn't know, hehe.)
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #370 on: February 27, 2010, 02:09:12 pm »

My favorite response to being called Gay that I've seen so far was "Yes?" more fore the reaction it elicited being one of complete confusion Cheesy
Generaly if asked I'd say that I'm bi, although there are a lack of people I find attractive in general, and probably more female than male- to be honest usualy in every day life I just don't worry about the whole which sexuality thing- although it is pretty fascinating when talking to the right people!

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
Lady Deborah Butcher
Deck Hand

« Reply #371 on: February 27, 2010, 04:42:16 pm »

...wouldn't being pansexual and asexual be mutually exclusive?

Sorry if these are answered already...
They'd be panromantic.
Might be romantically attracted, but not physically.

For the most part, asexual (referring to a human) just means that sex isn't all that interesting to them. Some of them choose to have sex to please their partner. Others are simply celibate. It doesn't usually mean that the person in question doesn't desire a close intimate relationship. Most of the asexuals I've come across on the net *love* to hug and cuddle, but found the notion of mixing pink-bits to be somehow icky. It has sometimes been described as simply having very low or no sex-drive, but that's up for discussion. I understand it to be one of the lesser understood aspects of human sexuality.

Asexuals sometimes have a preference in which gender and/or they want to have their close, intimate, non-sexual relationship with, others are open to various combinations.

Some people enjoy sex, but since they aren't sexually attracted to anyone, mostly- no.

And although I'm asexual, I think she's awesome in an awesome way. Surely there's room for one more?

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 05:51:49 pm by Lady Deborah Butcher » Logged
ClockworkToffer
Deck Hand

mechanical nature

pkmntrainerAsh
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2010, 04:14:28 am »

Greetings one and all,

*orders a cup of tea and sits cross legged in a large velvet covered chair*

I found this room and was smitten. I am a pan myself (also gender fluid) and found this thread quite entertaining. Quite a few laughs within these fifteen pages. It is lovely to have a little space on this thread to give a quick hello to those individuals who are within the lgbtqia + ally spectrum.

*sips tea and begins to observe*

Fancy the name, by the way.

-clockworkToffer
"the supreme type of vice"
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2010, 10:34:11 am »

Apparently I got the detention for being disrespectful and argumentative,

Disrepectful I can understand (from the teachers view, at least), but argumentative?
Hell, a good reason that I loved my years at the University was that daring to argue was a major part of how I got my good grades. If you cant speak out, then what the frack is the point of stuffing your head full of knowledge to begin with?
Lady Deborah Butcher
Deck Hand

« Reply #374 on: March 02, 2010, 09:58:40 pm »

Dr. Montgomery, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank you. Googling the phrase "Optimus Prim says no to promiscuous sex" led me to Khaos Komix, which is verily awesome. Thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: