The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 06, 2019, 12:22:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Queer Geer (A room for LGBT forum goers)  (Read 219069 times)
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »

At this point, my memory is too good and I could really do without the pictures.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #326 on: February 03, 2010, 11:04:41 pm »

Well, crap....
A friend sent me a link this morning to a gallery I'd missed, pics from last FroliCon:
(totally not freakin' work safe at all)

Well twist my nipples and call me Duran-Duran Are their stalls? How much is a pitch?

Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #327 on: February 03, 2010, 11:21:21 pm »

What?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by stalls and pitch.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #328 on: February 05, 2010, 11:38:45 am »

What?
Sorry, not sure what you mean by stalls and pitch.

Well normally at these sorts of meetings and the like there is a trade room where makers can ply their wares. Or is it not that kind of event?
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #329 on: February 05, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »

Ah, got ya! (With this specific type of event, it's entirely possible that "stall" and "pitch" could have entirely different meanings).

Ya, there's a dealer's room, but I've no idea what the cost is for a booth/stall.  I'm guessing a pitch would be an outdoors set up?  Frolicon is completely behind closed doors, they even paper over the windows.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #330 on: February 07, 2010, 09:10:24 pm »

My college success classes are interesting. There worth 3 college credits, and there are a few cute girls in the class to. I swear I'm lucky that I have that much focus or i would get no work done. Wink

"I've been sliding through an interdimensional wormhole seeing how many ways people like you can screw up civilization!"
        - Quinn Mallory, "Sliders"

"You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who's in ruttin' command here."
phang
Snr. Officer

« Reply #331 on: February 07, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »

My college success classes are interesting. There worth 3 college credits, and there are a few cute girls in the class to. I swear I'm lucky that I have that much focus or i would get no work done. Wink

I so miss school. May have to go back and get my Master's or Doctorate.

N=R* x f(p) x n(e) x f(l) x f(i) x f(c) x L

So? Where is everyone?
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »

I so miss school. May have to go back and get my Master's or Doctorate.

I'm going to go for both. Most of my dads family have at least a master's. I wan't to be a professor at a more then community college level, and you need a phd for that depending  on the school. I haven't deciced wether I'll go for linguistic, english, or anthropology though.
phang
Snr. Officer

« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2010, 08:05:10 pm »

Had a chance in my last school to jump Masters and get straight into the PhD program. but I missed the GPA by 0.02
darkshines
Rogue Ætherlord
Wales Wales

Miss Katonic 1898

« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2010, 08:27:41 pm »

I have a Masters and am considering a PhD when I can find a decent uni that is running courses I find interesting (so far its between Lampeter and Exeter!).

Every time you say "cog" when you mean "gear" or "sprocket", Cthulu kills a kitten. 

www.etsy.com/shop/celticroseart
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2010, 08:54:50 pm »

My father and I are the only people on that side of the family (even allowing for some pretty serious branching) to have even a Bachelors.  And my GPA pretty much assures there won't be anything higher.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #336 on: February 09, 2010, 01:18:41 am »

The only people in my family with a college education are my dads sister and her husband, so I'll be one of the only ones once I get done. Of course, that's what happens when your grandparents are German immigrants Smiley

but because the field I'm going into is kind of artsy and very rare, the highest degree I can get is a baccalaureate. Only one college in the nation has the course, and I'll be visiting soon, but if I don't get accepted, I have no idea what I'm going to do

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #337 on: February 09, 2010, 08:52:34 am »

I'll soon (I hope) be the first in my extended family to finish a higher degree. Bachelors degrees aren't anything special, but no one's done a masters or phd. My phd submission date is fast approaching. That said, I'm not completely sure all the time what use it'll be. *shrug*

Another reminder in the last couple of days for me... Just because they're camp, doesn't mean they're queer. Sad

Choreocracy - A form of government in which power is given to the best dancer.

Member of the Earthly Delights Historic Dance Academy
Dr. Wilson Montgomery
Officer
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #338 on: February 09, 2010, 01:11:39 pm »

I'll soon (I hope) be the first in my extended family to finish a higher degree. Bachelors degrees aren't anything special, but no one's done a masters or phd. My phd submission date is fast approaching. That said, I'm not completely sure all the time what use it'll be. *shrug*

"Intellectuals; Assemble!"
Sorry, must get the Marvel comics ref´s out every now and again.
More related; Been working on my masters for about half a year now, and I stil dont have a fracking *clue* where i´m going to end up with it. That´s the good thing ´bout the academic world; as long as I have a cup of coffee in one hand and a bunch of papers and books in the other, everyone assumes I know what I´m doing...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 01:20:51 pm by Dr. Wilson Montgomery » Logged
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #339 on: February 09, 2010, 03:51:44 pm »

I Just because they're camp, doesn't mean they're queer. Sad

What do you mean?
(Don't elaborate if you're not comfortable doing so.)
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #340 on: February 10, 2010, 01:27:04 am »

I Just because they're camp, doesn't mean they're queer. Sad

What do you mean?
(Don't elaborate if you're not comfortable doing so.)
I'm friends with an very camp straight man. Sets of gaydars everywhere, but actually quite straight. It's easy to forget that part, and as open-minded as he is, he (and his girlfriend) wouldn't appreciate a surprise snog.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #341 on: February 10, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

OK, I think I get you: is "camp" in this context Australian for "flaming" or "effeminate," or however you wanna say, "acting in a stereotypically flamboyant gay manner?"

This totally reminds me of the "fags" episode of South Park.  Not sure how it came across to the rest of you, but I thought it was freakin' hilarious.  The central joke was that the boys were calling various groups they didn't like (predominantly, leather-wearing bikers) fags, only to be appalled when someone told them it mean homosexual, going so far as to ask who changed fag to mean homosexual and when did that happen.  It got the way kids use that word without knowing what it means, as well as binding in the fact that, while I don't, I sorta wish I could still call lame people fags without it meaning what it does.  But then, I've got some strange notions on words like that.  Which I might bring up some later, but for now I'll save it.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #342 on: February 12, 2010, 09:57:01 pm »

But then, I've got some strange notions on words like that.  Which I might bring up some later, but for now I'll save it.

Fag, from faggot. As in to burn like a faggot? (a dish made from pig offal) From the time when to be gay meant a long stake and a short but lively cremation? I've always found it disturbingly interesting how normalcy, loved to clense with fire. Like a child with a box of matches. Burn it and it will go away..... Will it? Will it really? I think not.

But then perception is all. All those who have ideals similar to all those burned, have a right to be named "Children of fire" Where as those who put us there, could be seen to be "followers of the lollypop dude". Wording, conducts perception. I try not to use the word Fag these days. My friends are not cooked pork meat products. Would you like it if I called you a spam sandwitch? Probably not. Change the words and you can draw strength from that which was worded to oppress you.
Lilith-Nighthawk
Zeppelin Captain

beautious thorn

« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:20 am »

I'M really loving my college sucess course. Now if I could just keep from getting a crush on one of the straight girlsI'd be content. Cheesy
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2010, 05:10:29 pm »

I have no idea what you're on about, Clym Angus.  That doesn't even fit my understanding of the origin of the term.  I could be totally wrong, but I always thought it came from "faggot" as an old term for cigarettes, as in "smoking a fag."  Cigarettes were, back in the day, not considered a proper thing for strapping manly men to smoke, just women and them damn queers, ergo, faggots.

On the other hand, we might be saying the same thing very differently and missing each other's points: where I think you're rather substitute a different word, I (might, not at all sure) would rather change the words meaning.  Don't get me wrong, I don't think "rebranding" the word is really do-able.  Its not like homosexuals can realistically do a "take back" on that word in a manner similar to (and this is probably a good thing) rappers calling each other "nigga."

Just to be clear, I don't habitually use the term "fag," or disparage things by calling them gay.
Isabella Stormrift
Snr. Officer

« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2010, 08:42:29 pm »

I thought faggot was originally a bundle of sticks such as one would throw 'round the stake for starting up a good fire.

...and by 'good' I mean ITSAWITCHBURNIT.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2010, 10:22:27 pm »

OK, I looked it up, here: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=faggot

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We all had bits and pieces of the picture.  Wiki has more, which I'll not bother reposting:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_%28slang%29

Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #347 on: February 22, 2010, 01:38:09 pm »

We all had bits and pieces of the picture.  Wiki has more, which I'll not bother reposting:

Roughly what the Oxford Dictionary (2ns Ed.) has. No actual definition of faggot = gay in it. I suspect delicacy on the part of the editors....

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Choreocrat
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #348 on: February 23, 2010, 12:27:58 am »

Roughly what the Oxford Dictionary (2ns Ed.) has. No actual definition of faggot = gay in it. I suspect delicacy on the part of the editors....

Delicacy schmelicacy. A dictionary like the OED is supposed to define words as they are used, offensive or otherwise. Sure, it comes with a note saying it's pejorative and considered offensive, but ignoring the definition completely would be sweeping it aside, and misrepresenting the language.
(oops, rant...)

So bringing it back to a steampunk sort of topic - what 19th century euphemism would you use to describe LGBTQ stuff? Things like 'lavender' were used, and the 18th century 'Molly'. Later on, you'd have 'friends of Oscar'.
neon_suntan
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

The scribe wore black

neonsuntan
« Reply #349 on: February 23, 2010, 02:02:54 am »

The British satirical comic The Viz has a monthly section devoted to Euphemism and periodically publishes a "Profanisaurus" among the euphemisms a [very camp] friend of mine always loved were

Good with Colours
Light on His Feet

and one my aged Grandmother used

Musical (!)

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 100   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: