The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 05:03:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Fashion.  (Read 14767 times)
Crescat Scientia
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Fabricator and temporally confused.

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2012, 01:58:31 pm »

I love that steampunk style has become fashionable in the mainstream, but I also regret it.  Once something becomes fashionable, in a short while it becomes unfashionable and then becomes nearly impossible to find, while those who always sported the style go from looking fashion-forward to looking dowdy.

Do, if you see something you really like, get it.  I still regret not loading up more on ruffled shirts and brocade vests and velvet and leather trousers when they were briefly fashionable in the 1980s.  I thought they would always be readily available, silly me.

As for the prices, haute couture is very expensive, yes, but the quality of the craftsmanship and materials is very high.  I saw the Alexander McQueen exhibit where you could see clearly how much work went into the items.  I don't begrudge the crafters of such things their remuneration, and only wish every garment worker were paid what their work is worth.

Living on steam isn't easy.
-- Jessica Fortunato

Have you heard?  It's in the stars, next July we collide with Mars.
-- Cole Porter

That's not sinister at all.
-- Old family saying
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 04:41:49 pm »

I went to an exhibition of tailoring by someone well-known, whose name I now cannot recall.  Having just bound the edges of a jacket with velvet ribbon , very carefully and neatly on the inside as well as the outside, I took a sneaky look under the corner of a bound jacket when noone was looking.

My corners were neater than this bespoke jacket!
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 12:20:50 am »

John Paul Gaultier's 2012 Fall/Winter Haute Couture collection abounded in Victorian, Steampunk, 1920's-1930's Early Hollywood Glamour - with an edgy, Gothic spin.

Crisply tailored tuxedos and tails, flowing silks, feathers, corsets, exotic styling, and fine top hats in delicious black, red, and gold silk.

Both gentlemen's and ladies' fashions featured in a gallery of images from the full show here: http://modelcouture.livejournal.com/1670942.html

Gorgeous stuff.

(WARNING: As with many haute couture runway shows there is some female upper-body nudity, albeit covered by sheer fabrics. If you're offended by that sort of thing, view with discretion.)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 12:22:42 am by Madame Curatrix » Logged
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2012, 02:56:39 pm »

Finally found decent video footage of the Gaultier show.

Again, top hats and tailcoats galore.

Also, that fellow rocking the black silk turban and cigarette holder? Very very posh.

Andrej Pejic/Jean Paul Gaultier haute couture 2012/13 _ la femme dandy d├ęcadente PFW
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2012, 04:13:33 pm »

Menswear from Iceland 
KORMAKUR & SKJOLDUR - READY TO WEAR - FALL WINTER 2012 - REYKJAVIK

http://www.nowfashion.com/30-03-2012-kormakur-skjoldur-ready-to-wear-fall-winter-2012-reykjavik-show-1919.html

Oh man!

I'm off to Iceland in October, I've added the store run by these chaps to my itinerary already!

http://www.herrafataverslun.com/
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

That looks like a GREAT store!

http://www.herrafataverslun.com/MYNDIR-UR-VERZLUN-PICTURES

Old Spice and Boar's Head.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
frances
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2012, 10:31:23 pm »

Hi Madame Curatrix, thanks for the link - but that is one of the most frustrating fashion vidoes.  Do they think we do not want to see the backs.  And sometimes the camera dwelt on the model's face and we did not get to see the outfit at all.  Ggrrr!
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2012, 05:39:16 am »

Hi Madame Curatrix, thanks for the link - but that is one of the most frustrating fashion vidoes.  Do they think we do not want to see the backs.  And sometimes the camera dwelt on the model's face and we did not get to see the outfit at all.  Ggrrr!

The show was only held a few days ago, so the full professionally shot footage hasn't hit the internet yet. I'm sure there will be a longer video of the entire show on the web sooner or later. Smiley

But yes, I would also love to see the backs of those lovely frock/tailcoats, gowns, etc.
Vampyre Master
Snr. Officer
Wales Wales

« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2012, 05:36:06 pm »

OUCH!!!!!
Prada Menswear Fall 2012/13 Full Fashion Show

VM
iamregina
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2016, 02:11:02 am »

I love that steampunk style has become fashionable in the mainstream, but I also regret it.  Once something becomes fashionable, in a short while it becomes unfashionable and then becomes nearly impossible to find, while those who always sported the style go from looking fashion-forward to looking dowdy.

Do, if you see something you really like, get it.  I still regret not loading up more on ruffled shirts and brocade vests and velvet and leather trousers when they were briefly fashionable in the 1980s.  I thought they would always be readily available, silly me.

As for the prices, haute couture is very expensive, yes, but the quality of the craftsmanship and materials is very high.  I saw the Alexander McQueen exhibit where you could see clearly how much work went into the items.  I don't begrudge the crafters of such things their remuneration, and only wish every garment worker were paid what their work is worth.

Well said! I can definitely relate. It is true that haute couture and designer clothing are pricey. I always loved Alexander McQueen and Dion Lee II on http://www.designerforum.com.au/ and I'm always satisfied with my purchase. I do hope though, just like what you've mentioned, that workers are getting paid what they work for. An article from TFIA ( http://www.tfia.com.au/fashion-industry-speaks-up-about-labour-laws ) tackles the problems being encountered by outwo ent times.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: