The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 03:06:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Fashion.  (Read 14644 times)
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Sans Peur

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2011, 10:43:03 pm »

http://love-life-ran.blogspot.com/2010/04/hermes-hermes-fw-201011-paris.html (NOTE: This blog does contain some artistic nude and adult fashion photography, so please tread with caution if you are offended by that sort of thing.)

Great site. Thanks.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 03:01:19 am »

Well, Donatello Versace's 2011-12 Winter Menswear is a little Victorian and even a little steamy. At least it would be easy to steam up. Nice leather pieces.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
divanopka
Deck Hand

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2011, 06:55:19 pm »

There are McQueen collections older than the one's posted with a victorian vibe that can be found on style.com.

And don't forget Vivienne Westwood:

"The Mini-Crini collection saw an increasingly shaped look, the antithesis of the masculine shoulder pads and tight hip styles that were current in the 1980s. Westwood's historical research had led her to believe that clothes were about 'changing the shape of the body, about having a restriction'. She now wanted to 'make things that fitted'.
Inspired by the ballet Petrushka, Westwood devised a 'mini-crini' that combined the tutu with an abbreviated form of the Victorian crinoline."

::(source)::

"Mr. Bolton anoints Ms. Westwood as a founder of postmodern deconstruction whose innovations are being built on by current British fashion stars like John Galliano and Alexander McQueen."
(1) Trench coat dress by Christopher Bailey for Burberry for spring and summer this year. (2) A dress ensemble by Alexander McQueen from his 2002-2003 fall collection.
::(source)::
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2011, 12:49:45 am »

I'm not sure this has anything to do with SP, but I thought there were some goods ideas in this Thom Browne collection. http://www.vogue.it/uomo-vogue/sfilate/sfilata/a-i-11-12/thom-browne
Ms Fisher
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2011, 03:15:12 am »

No one mentioned Skin graft? I don't know if they count as high fashion but there definetly somthing:http://skingraftdesigns.com/gallery
and a personal favorite from a few seasons ago:http://skingraftdesigns.com/assets/2008/12/1/desertgirls4-web_medium.jpg although it may only be because of the photo composition!
James Harrison
Immortal
England England

Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:11 am »

I'm quite surprised that so far no-one has mentioned Child of the Jago.  Unfortunately their prices make me wince  Sad

They have a couple of nice jackets- Wilde and 3 Penny were the ones I drooled over- but honestly, £700 just for one  Huh

Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 10:59:55 am »

a Dickensian opium den feeling.

How A.McQueen describes his collections shown here.  That made me smile. ALOT. Cheesy

''I'm a loose bolt in a complete machine. What a match! I'm half-doomed and you're semi-sweet.''
‎"You want steampunk to be a novelty, a LOLcat, a meme. I want it to be my life. Which of us is going to fight harder for it?" - Dimitri Markotin
*DISCLAIMER*     This dungeon is fictional, and any similarities to other dungeons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

http://www.facebook.com/antevortefashion
Mention you're from BG when ordering for free shipping!
Dr. Sniderbunk
Gunner

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2011, 06:25:28 pm »

Bebe Jacket

Now THAT I would wear.

How do we make this happen then?  I am sure you would look smashing in it.
andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2011, 08:22:47 pm »

Bebe Jacket

Now THAT I would wear.

I would too deffinately...bit of the old Rennaisance/Golden Age era mens fashion...fantastic. Before I forget myself, I must compliment this Bebe Jacketsies, looks very beautiful...genuinally a superb image!

I love A. Mcqueen. More for what inspires him.. A magnificent mind. Such a tragedy in loosing him.

I find the wearing of the two hats very interesting, more out of historical remniscence. The trilby in many respects is basically a minimalised form of a tricorn or bicorn hat. Did not the pirates wear a hat or hanky underneath their tricorn hats? Napoleon's soldiers wore something similar underneath their shakos and bearskins on the mission to Moscow too. That reminds me when I used to wear a wooly hat underneath my helmet when I was in the TA. With that in mind its a very good experiment with what we percieve in our modern times with fashion and historical forms with the trilby and head warmer etc. I kinda like that...I may use that for next winter!

I must say everytime I see these fashion shows, I am always reminded by the fashions they sport down the catwalk that they are more pieces of art work to inspire people in what to wear. Whether they are rich or not. If you can not afford them, it is upto you to make what inspires you here. This is what steampunk, or any other punk subculture for that matter is about. Do It Yourself.
 How many rich people you see wearing stuff like the stuff shown down the catwalk? Very much next to no one if we desregard Lady Gaga! Because these designs on the model's back are works of art that have come from the very hand of the designer themselves. When you make purchase of such garments you are very much paying for a limited edition print as though its a 2D or 3D work of fine art. Extra zillions when you pay for the very one that the likes of Mr Mcqueen worked on.
 We must always remind ourselves that shows like this are very much art exhibitions. And with what is shown here are remarkably inspiring stuff that can be cheaply made at home in all our punking tendencies! We could even modify to our own image that may improve it. The real issue in this debate of copyright is that they make money with their exhibitions they organise whilst we dont make any money at all when we attend events in the wears we love to flaunt no matter the inspiration!
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2011, 08:02:06 pm »

Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty
is on display at The Metropolitan Museum of Art from
May 4–August 7, 2011

McQueen's work is, of course, superb, and the exhibition design is wonderfully done to present all the different facets of his career.

http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/about/  The video of the exhibit is great and highly recommended.

Individual pieces  http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/objects/

And for more videos of his work, the MMOA website has put up many of his runway shows.

http://blog.metmuseum.org/alexandermcqueen/video/

andrew craven
Snr. Officer

Clanker Zep Kapitan...From Prussia with Love

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2011, 02:06:41 pm »

That one with the bone structure reminds me of HR Giger!
Mr. Phikset
Gunner

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2011, 04:48:01 pm »

Talk about a steel boned corset!

When asked how long something will take, always tell them longer than what you think it will take.  That way if something goes wrong you have time to fix it and if everything goes smoothly then you look like a miracle worker.
 - Scotty
Lady Ava
Zeppelin Admiral

Gravatar

Adventurer, Dress-maker and General All-Round Awesome.

electrogirlak
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2011, 06:38:25 pm »

It's Alexander McQueen that a lot of Lady Gaga's outfits are inspired by. True Story! Cheesy
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2012, 05:16:24 pm »

Menswear from Iceland 
KORMAKUR & SKJOLDUR - READY TO WEAR - FALL WINTER 2012 - REYKJAVIK

http://www.nowfashion.com/30-03-2012-kormakur-skjoldur-ready-to-wear-fall-winter-2012-reykjavik-show-1919.html

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2012, 01:30:04 am »

Loved many of these styles, Squire, but why are the trousers all so badly cut?  I can forgive the lengths needing adjusting, but the crotch areas do not fit any of these lovely men.  They look most uncomfortable to walk in.
Mrs. Whatsit
Snr. Officer

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 03:04:22 am »

Menswear from Iceland 

http://www.nowfashion.com/30-03-2012-kormakur-skjoldur-ready-to-wear-fall-winter-2012-reykjavik-show-1919.html

That was very fun.  Love the fabrics. 

I am by no means a fashion maven, but once I read Ms. Frances' comment about the crotch areas, all I could do was focus there.   Wink  And I think she's right.

“Life, with its rules, its obligations, and its freedoms, is like a sonnet: You're given the form, but you have to write the sonnet yourself."
citizen_erased
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

kojitmal
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

Menswear from Iceland 

Oh I am definitely liking this collection!

Sometimes I vlog: www.youtube.com/realkojitmal
(I even once did a steampunk related video!)

There`s a blog too: http://kojitmal.wordpress.com
Aleister Crow
Zeppelin Overlord

It's only an Unnamable Horror until you name it.

« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2012, 09:48:06 am »

I have an image stuck in my mind of a longboat, and all the vikings on board are waving swords and wearing those outfits.

Those are nice clothes, but the models look like they'd rather be out plundering shipping lanes.  Cheesy

'How cheerfully he seems to grin,
How neatly spread his claws,
And welcome little fishes in
With gently smiling jaws!'
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 01:59:56 am »

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/06/prada-menswear-fall-2012-ad-campaign.html <-- MORE pictures!

Absolutely STUNNING fall menswear campaign advertising for Prada - featuring master actors Willem Dafoe and Gary Oldman (and two young models) - sporting highly tailored and aristocratic frock coats, cravats, waistcoats, smoking jackets, suits and spectacles.

*applauds*

The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 02:09:21 am »

http://www.tomandlorenzo.com/2012/06/prada-menswear-fall-2012-ad-campaign.html <-- MORE pictures!

Absolutely STUNNING fall menswear campaign advertising for Prada - featuring master actors Willem Dafoe and Gary Oldman (and two young models) - sporting highly tailored and aristocratic frock coats, cravats, waistcoats, smoking jackets, suits and spectacles.

*applauds*

Spectacular! And aren't those glasses cool?

The whole runway show had other actors including Adrien Brody and Tim Roth:

PRADA FALL/WINTER 2012 MENSWEAR SHOW

Hez
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

aka Miss Primrose C Leigh

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 02:24:20 am »

Fabulous, aside from the one young man who apparently forgot his pants.  (white shorts)
Captain Shipton Bellinger
Master Tinkerer

Why the goggles..? In case of ADVENTURE!

« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »

Wow! Some of those outfits were incredible. I'm not too sure about the choice of shoes in some cases though. And not a tie to be seen!

If Steampunk is destined to become (or at least influence) mainstream fashion, I think that this is the way I'd prefer it. Those Prada styles will inevitably trickle down to the high-street.

Capt. Shipton Bellinger R.A.M.E. (rtd)

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2012, 10:13:59 pm »

Loved some of the shoes and the different fabrics used in coats.  That coloured band around the neck reminds me of Napoleonic soldiers and was designed to make sure that they always held their heads high.

I'm not too keen on the rather narrow trouser-legs though.  You could see that one or two of the men were bow-legged.  Shocked
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:20 pm »

Those Prada clothes looked great actually, and Gary Oldman had just the right beard for it.

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 09:24:59 am »

*applauds*

This is what I'm talking about!  Don't care for what I saw before the 2:00 min mark, but for the rest, some one gets it right.  This collection is also very modern if you look close at the details. Clearly 21st. Century.  Very futuristic, while firmly planted in the Victorian aesthetic. With a little push, this could catch on as an influence for real fashion wear in the street.

I've been looking for a potential uniform for Admiral Wilhelm with these type of traits ; military uniforms -even if very modern- can always retain some elements from the past; particularly formal dress uniforms.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: