The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 18, 2019, 04:45:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Fashion.  (Read 14635 times)
Gypsy
Gunner
United States United States

« on: November 22, 2009, 03:16:44 am »

I want to share a few links with you all. I have come across these while browsing runway shows of a few of my favorite designers. Alexander McQueen is my designing hero. Three are photo slideshows and one is a video of the full runway show (the men's 2009 Fall and Winter collection).

If you have any high fashion links you would like to share to help inspire fellow Steampunks, then please share them. I'm hoping this will give us all motivation to design and create the outfits we see in our imaginations.

Enjoy!

Alexander McQueen. Men's Runway Show Video. Fall/Winter 09. Excellent!
http://www.alexandermcqueen.com/int/en/corporate/archive2009_aw_mens.html

Alexander McQueen. Women's Pre-Fall 2009.
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/2009PF-AMCQUEEN/

Alexander McQueen. Women's Fall 2006 RTW.
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2006RTW-AMCQUEEN

Dolce and Gabbana
http://www.style.com/fashionshows/review/F2006RTW-DGABBANA

Viaţa este frumoasă
Foucaults_Builder
Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 03:28:41 am »

Well I don't know anything about High Fashion as you call it. But those are some
pretty cool outfits. I really liked the coats and suits the men were wearing. Didn't
know what to think of the ski caps under the hats though. But yeah, great stuff
there.

http://foucaultsbuilder.wordpress.com
"That was when I saw the Pendulum.
The sphere, hanging from a long wire set into the ceiling of the choir, swayed back and forth with isochronal majesty." Foucault's Pendulum
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 03:52:39 am »

Those were pretty cool. Grin I liked that first men's outfit. It seemed very Russian.

I despise those high fashion designers, though, because they're seem obnoxiously pompous. Not to mention how costly the actual clothing is. Tongue

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 05:52:27 am »

Those were pretty cool. Grin I liked that first men's outfit. It seemed very Russian.

I despise those high fashion designers, though, because they're seem obnoxiously pompous. Not to mention how costly the actual clothing is. Tongue

Yes, I agree, the clothing is far overpriced.

However, just because I may never like to meet any of these designers in person, I can take lessons from them in fashion design. These are skilled craftsmen we are talking about, no matter how big their ego's are I believe they deserve respect. They didn't get to where they are today by making things poorly.

Now, I don't encourage a single one of you to buy any of their items. Instead, I encourage you to make your own and learn how to make things well.
dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2009, 06:48:21 am »

The only real problem with is that steampunks will be accused of fad chasing. We will never get the credit for being the ones who originated the style.

"Dammit all, the hydrogen catalysts have gone off again!"

opta ardua pennis astra sequi
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2009, 07:04:36 am »

I'll look at these when I get home.

Generally I can see one or two interesting elements on the runway but I can't remember the last time I liked an entire look. I prefer style over fashion.

I recommend Reading pattern recognition by William Gibson, not only is it a good book but you see that styles are scouted for new ideas for designers. We have the most edgy thing going right now so it's only natural we would be tapped for inspiration.

Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2009, 07:08:54 am »

The only real problem with is that steampunks will be accused of fad chasing. We will never get the credit for being the ones who originated the style.

Except that I have heard this look described by people within my age group without any links to steampunk fashion as "steampunky" or "steampunk-inspired", the way a dark, romantic collection would be described as "gothy". >_o Shows two things: we're fairly safe, and we're well-known.
Arceye
Zeppelin Admiral
United Kingdom United Kingdom

I love humanity, it's people I can't stand!

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 02:40:20 pm »

I would wear almost all of those, but not the wooly cap under the hat. Eyeliner isn't me either  Grin

There is nothing that cannot be made a little worse and sold a little cheaper
Puck
Gunner

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:33:46 pm »

However, just because I may never like to meet any of these designers in person, I can take lessons from them in fashion design. These are skilled craftsmen we are talking about, no matter how big their ego's are I believe they deserve respect. They didn't get to where they are today by making things poorly.

Now, I don't encourage a single one of you to buy any of their items. Instead, I encourage you to make your own and learn how to make things well.

Oh, no, I completely agree. These are some very interesting and influential pieces. I still stand by my love of that Russian-looking menswear. Grin
Aaron
Gunner

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 06:12:13 pm »

Well, to be fair, neo-Victorian fashions have been resurrected by the fashion world and the music world since the 50s and 60s. Remember the long frock coats, tight striped pants, and cravats worn by popular bands of the 60s and 70s like the Who, the Stones, the Turtles, etc.; they all incorporated neo-Victorian fashions into their wardrobes. These were accessorized by walking sticks, top hats, pointed ankle boots, etc.

I would credit the steampunk community for the current revival, but they certainly did not originate the style. Unless you count putting goggles on a top hat or a derby. They certainly seemed to originate that. Wink
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 06:18:27 pm by Aaron » Logged
Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Captain

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 07:25:35 pm »

I would wear almost all of those, but not the wooly cap under the hat. Eyeliner isn't me either  Grin

But eyeliner on men is SEXY. 

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 12:17:31 am »

Oh, no, I completely agree. These are some very interesting and influential pieces. I still stand by my love of that Russian-looking menswear. Grin

Indeed, Russian-looking menswear is very, VERY appealing to me as well.

Well, to be fair, neo-Victorian fashions have been resurrected by the fashion world and the music world since the 50s and 60s. Remember the long frock coats, tight striped pants, and cravats worn by popular bands of the 60s and 70s like the Who, the Stones, the Turtles, etc.; they all incorporated neo-Victorian fashions into their wardrobes. These were accessorized by walking sticks, top hats, pointed ankle boots, etc.

I would credit the steampunk community for the current revival, but they certainly did not originate the style. Unless you count putting goggles on a top hat or a derby. They certainly seemed to originate that. Wink

Yes, I've read several articles where the designers are quoted on saying various bands or styles from the sixties inspired them. One designer claimed the Sgt. Pepper phase of the Beatles as his inspiration, and this particular line had several garments which could be considered "Steamy".
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 12:34:47 am »

Some interesting ideas, however what is the point of calf length trousers, simply makes it look as if you bought the wrong size...

Mrs. Coppernut
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 07:20:57 pm »

Lord, that was some horrible catwalk work in the first link.
At least they're promoting skirts for men. Very sexy collection.

Victoria's secret also has steampunk inspired gear by the way. Or at least, in their runway show.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Full speed ahead Mr. Copperpants!
Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Captain

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:50:33 pm »

Oh, good, it wasn't just me.  Tongue  I was thinking "Do they not hold male models to the same standard as the girl in America's Next Top Model?" 

Not sure about the buns on the side of the guys heads, either...
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 08:37:02 pm »

At least they're promoting skirts for men. Very sexy collection.

Victoria's secret also has steampunk inspired gear by the way. Or at least, in their runway show.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

*falls on floor*

Oh my goodness gracious. I want those wings....I want the whole ensemble!

And I agree, the men's runway walks were poorly done. Poor runway walks are one of my pet peaves since I've had to spend ridiculous amounts of time practicing them. There is no reason why a model should have a poor walk. The entering models kept taking up the space of the exiting models. Some men rushed their turn arounds, and because of this the camera didn't quite catch what they were wearing (one male model you hardly even caught a glimpse of because he turned far too early on the runway). Still, it's about the clothes, not the models.

dman762000
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain of the pirate Airship Aurelia

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2009, 02:48:42 am »

I just finished looking McQueen's site over and all I can say is,

Wow, what an arrogant prick!

The guy wants to sell henley bib front shirts for $650!

That is just ridicoulous. That is a design that has been around for over a hundred years and he acts like he just came up with it. He wanted like $1200 for a peacoat. I got two WWII issue peacoats for $40. What is wrong with people? Can't everyone see that all he is doing is re-using old designs that we of the steam have been using? Why does everyone think this guy is a genius?
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 06:07:25 am »

I just finished looking McQueen's site over and all I can say is,

Wow, what an arrogant prick!

The guy wants to sell henley bib front shirts for $650!

That is just ridicoulous. That is a design that has been around for over a hundred years and he acts like he just came up with it. He wanted like $1200 for a peacoat. I got two WWII issue peacoats for $40. What is wrong with people? Can't everyone see that all he is doing is re-using old designs that we of the steam have been using? Why does everyone think this guy is a genius?

It's how he makes the clothing. He is skilled. Yet again, I did not put this up for us to focus on what may be ridiculous to us, but rather to take what we see and use it to inspire us. Of course, I agree with you about all of his stuff being overpriced. Still, he is good at what he does.
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 03:53:14 am »

Bebe Jacket

Now THAT I would wear.
Minjoltr
Zeppelin Admiral

Asker of Questions

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 04:48:24 pm »

I wonder if catwalk models ever go out there thinking 'Man, I look silly'.

I think the whole thing is about inspiration though.  Elements from these looks are what we'll be seeing on the high street for autumn and winter next year.  Trousers will be narrow and worn slightly short, colours will be dark and tending towards brown and red rather than green, coats will come to mid-thigh and everyone will walk slightly ponderously.  I don't see the buns or the balaclava things catching on though.

If I could sell hundred-year-old designs to suckers rich, gullible and desperate enough to buy them, I'd definitely give it a go.

Join Minnie in the IRC.  All of the cool people are doing it - you should too.
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 05:04:22 pm »

Bebe Jacket

Now THAT I would wear.

lilibat, I'm not going to lie, I have a weak spot for Bebe. I have spent too much money in that store before but I still love every item I've bought from there.

And yes, that outfit is sizzling.
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Captain

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 05:18:58 pm »

Very impressed.

Again, I don't know about the woolly hat under the hat...it seems a trifle superfluous to me.

But, some of the designs are very nice indeed. I thought the length of the trouser legs was a little on the stingy side as well. I prefer a more traditional approach to length - so the top of the trouser cuff rests against the upper of the shoe, yet tapers down slightly at the back to lie just above the top of the heel. Those trousers look a little bit 60's inspired for my liking. Not that I have anything against the 60's, I just didn't like that modish look personally. I hadn't realised he was such a designer...I shall definitely watch his work in future.

But, great link - thank you for sharing that!

By the way, the costumiers Angels (UK) are having a sale tomorrow of 250,000 items of military clothing ranging from 1900's to modern day. I'm heading there for a few leather belts and things. Prices all range between £5 and £20.

http://www.angels.uk.com/sale.html

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 10:52:58 pm »

Being a bit of a haute couture fan myself, I was just about to post about Alexander McQueen's 2009/2010 Winter menswear collection and I'm glad I did a search for it first! It really is a great collection. Overpriced, well, yes, but that's the nature of haute couture - along with impractical runway styling.

Alas, for those of you looking forward to seeing more of Mr. McQueen's work, I bear sad news. The talented designer took his own life in 2010, in a fit of grief over the death of his mother. He will be greatly missed, and was one of my favorite designers. However, his house continues under a new designer, who is attemptying to carry-on his legacy.

Anyhow, for more steampunk/victoriana related haute couture, may I reccomend...

John Galliano for Christian Dior, Spring 2010 (womens):
http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/01/woi-christian-dior-haute-couture-spring.html

The first 10 looks or so are very Victorian/equestrian inspired. Loving the veiled top hats, of course.

John Galliano for Christian Dior, Fall 2010 (Menswear)
http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/01/john-galliano-menswear-fall-2010.html

There are some looks very evocative of the aforementioned Alexander McQueen collection, along with some very, uh, exotic looks. Still, capes, tailored suits, fedoras, and canes - even men's corsets!
The Squire
Zeppelin Admiral

Sans Peur

« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 08:12:25 am »

Being a bit of a haute couture fan myself, I was just about to post about Alexander McQueen's 2009/2010 Winter menswear collection and I'm glad I did a search for it first! It really is a great collection. Overpriced, well, yes, but that's the nature of haute couture - along with impractical runway styling.

Alas, for those of you looking forward to seeing more of Mr. McQueen's work, I bear sad news. The talented designer took his own life in 2010, in a fit of grief over the death of his mother. He will be greatly missed, and was one of my favorite designers. However, his house continues under a new designer, who is attemptying to carry-on his legacy.

Anyhow, for more steampunk/victoriana related haute couture, may I reccomend...

John Galliano for Christian Dior, Spring 2010 (womens):
http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/01/woi-christian-dior-haute-couture-spring.html

The first 10 looks or so are very Victorian/equestrian inspired. Loving the veiled top hats, of course.

John Galliano for Christian Dior, Fall 2010 (Menswear)
http://projectrungay.blogspot.com/2010/01/john-galliano-menswear-fall-2010.html

There are some looks very evocative of the aforementioned Alexander McQueen collection, along with some very, uh, exotic looks. Still, capes, tailored suits, fedoras, and canes - even men's corsets!

O! Thanks for resurrecting this old thread. The Alexander McQueen menswear was brilliant as was the John Galliano stuff. McQueen's suicide was very sad. He was just getting to the really off-the-wall stuff. I have not followed the new crop of designers, so I still like Galliano and Thierry Mugler and Rei Kawakubo and some of those old timers. If you know of any other good blog sites covering Haute Couture, esp., cutting-edge menswear, could you please post them? Steampunk or no.

"You don't mind breaking the law?"
        "Not in the least."
"Nor running a chance of arrest?"
        "Not in a good cause."
"Oh, the cause is excellent!"
         "Then I am your man."
Madame Curatrix
Snr. Officer

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 09:53:14 pm »

Hermes' Fall/Winter 2010/2011 collection is exquisite and full of Victorian finery. Top hats, tailored suits, bowler hats, leather and drama abound. Should be quite a visual treat for females who like to work the gentleman dandy look. See link below for photographs and video of the runway show.

http://love-life-ran.blogspot.com/2010/04/hermes-hermes-fw-201011-paris.html (NOTE: This blog does contain some artistic nude and adult fashion photography, so please tread with caution if you are offended by that sort of thing.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 10:11:58 pm by Madame Curatrix » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: