The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 09, 2021, 09:28:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you wear your pocket watch?  (Read 32300 times)
SAL
Swab

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »

I have got an article on this in my online shop if anyone is interested, give it a read.
http://www.silver2love.com/articles/how-to-wear-a-pocket-watch/
You can wear your pocket watch on a belt clip, or in a leather pouch on your belt.

If anyone has any questions just drop me a line.

VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 11:09:27 pm »

I've always gone with watch pocket, clipped to belt or belt loop, chain free, or in main pocket. Ladies also have the necklace option, that I've seen a lot of in the past couple years.

frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2014, 09:00:41 pm »

The problem with having a watch on a necklace is that it has to be long so you can pick it up to look at.  But as it is long it tends to bounce on ones chest and get dashed on handy shelves, desk-tops etc.  So they never last very long.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2014, 09:16:04 pm »

Watches are obviously very delicate mechanisms that don't appreciate being swung about. No doubt why both the various male and female watch pockets were invented. I recall suggesting a Lady could wear one on a chatelaine a while back. But in actual fact that probably wouldn't be a good idea either for the same reason.

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2014, 09:30:41 pm »

Oooo how do I get my chatelaine to bounce around my chest??
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:42 pm »

Erm...buy a really long chain and do a handstand? *shrugs*  Wink
Octavius von Gilgamesh
Immortal
Australia Australia

Captain of the Ariadne's Sorrow

« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2014, 04:25:31 am »

Erm...buy a really long chain and do a handstand? *shrugs* 
Make sure you post a picture when you do......

May the gods stand between you and harm, in all the empty places where you must walk.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2014, 03:41:12 am »

I never considered there might be problems with the necklace option (not having tried it myself, but seeing several ladies wearing one that way), but I can see how that might be an issue.
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2014, 04:51:35 am »

One of the ways that pocket watches used to be worn with trousers, and unless I'm mistaken, one that has yet to be broached here, is with a leather strap or short chain attached to a medallion (or shiny doo-dad) of some kind - and nothing else, the medallion simply hanging out of one's trouser pocket on the end of the chain or strap, which in the case of the strap type usually fastened with a buckle. The weight of the watch was enough to keep it in one's pocket, and the medallion-and-strap (The strap being of sufficient length to allow the watch to sit at the bottom of one's pocket and let the medallion hang out) served as a handy way to fish the instrument out to peruse it at one's leisure.

I'll see if I can still find some pictures of such out on the web to post here.

An Ebay listing. This is the type of thing I'm talking about, though a shorter-length variant.
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/pocket-watch-strap

A commercial site, but these are somewhat more the length I'm referring to.
http://www.pmtime.com/category/leather_fobs.html

« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 05:20:02 am by MWBailey » Logged

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2014, 09:19:42 am »

I've had a rummage through my album to see what examples I can find of Victorian women wearing watches.

I'd hazard a guess that this one is 1880s judging from the style the card..

That's quite a neat little pocket that's been added to the dress to take a pocket watch.
MistyDawn
Gunner

M. Chansamone
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 07:22:20 am »

I wear mine as necklaces, bracelets and earrings  Grin
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

Director of Preternatural Research, Arkam Museum

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 01:39:52 am »

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but up til now I've sort of improvised with a homemade watch chain or worn a clip on type, but I've just received my very first proper one. It has a spring ring similar to the one posted by Mr HAC back on the first page. I wear it with a jacket or waistcoat and quite honestly, I have no idea exactly what the ring end is supposed to attach to.

Advice would be most gratefully accepted.

"I'm not a psychopath Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath. Do your research!" ~Sherlock Holmes
George Salt
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 09:01:32 am »

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but up til now I've sort of improvised with a homemade watch chain or worn a clip on type, but I've just received my very first proper one. It has a spring ring similar to the one posted by Mr HAC back on the first page. I wear it with a jacket or waistcoat and quite honestly, I have no idea exactly what the ring end is supposed to attach to.

Advice would be most gratefully accepted.

From Mr HAC's post, he's saying that the spring ring is for attaching to the belt loop on trousers for wearing a watch in the watch pocket of your trousers.  I'm not sure how you'd use that fitting with a waistcoat.  Normally you'd have a T-bar and would slip that through the button hole of the waistcoat (either from the front or rear).
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2014, 10:18:26 am »

Ah, my mistake then. Apologies. I am beginning to suspect that I've picked up the wrong sort of chain for my needs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380882875577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:21:34 am by Herbert West » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2014, 11:41:34 pm »

Ah, my mistake then. Apologies. I am beginning to suspect that I've picked up the wrong sort of chain for my needs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380882875577?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm afraid the cheaper modern alloy watch chains often only come with a belt loop or less commonly a ring clip like that. Finding a reasonably priced separate T bar can actually be a real pita. They're often higher quality metal and even something like brass (on the rare occasions you'll find it) could well end up costing more than the chain.
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #65 on: May 03, 2014, 12:29:45 am »

Unfortunately I can't really afford the expensive gold or silver chains I see on offer online. On the plus side, I did find an Ebay dealer selling T-bars. So hopefully that will solve the problem.
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 02:19:33 am »

Unfortunately I can't really afford the expensive gold or silver chains I see on offer online. On the plus side, I did find an Ebay dealer selling T-bars. So hopefully that will solve the problem.

Yeah me neither any more, I'm damn glad I got mine a few years back. Actual brass chains in particular seem to be incredibly rare these days and the price has skyrocketed. Hmm, I wonder why that could be? Best of luck with your quest.
emacsomancer
Deck Hand
Virgin Islands, British Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2014, 06:09:49 am »

I've got one that has a clippy bit (rather than a T-bar) - i've just stuck that end through a buttonhole on my waistcoat and clipped the clippy bit onto the the fabric near the buttons.  I wonder with the ring type if you could do the same, except slip the ring round the back of one of the buttons?

Has anyone figured out a general do-it-yourself T-bar?  It's a relatively simple piece.

On a different topic, I've decided I like to wear the watch itself on the opposite side of my dominant hand ("legside" rather than "offside", I suppose).
bicyclebuilder
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

A.K.A. Scanner Camera Builder

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2014, 07:30:24 am »

I think the pocketwatch is coming back soon into mainstream fashion. Many people use their cellphone as a pocketwatch. Wristwatches are becoming obsulete because of cellphones. I think there are going to be cellphones that are half the size of regular cellphones, maybe disk shaped with a metalic cover.

As for pocketwatches, I wear them without the chain, in my right front pants pocket. I don't like any weight on my torso pockets.

The best way to learn is by personal experience.
Keith_Beef
Snr. Officer
France France

« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2014, 08:11:47 am »

I recently got a cheap Chinese-made mechanical pocket watch to find out if I would get along with one. I've been carrying it for the past couple of weeks and even though I've been wearing a wristwatch as well it is becoming second-nature to pull out the pocket watch rather than look at the wristwatch… so I think that my experiment is working.

The watch has a steel chain with a lobster-claw type clip on the end for the watch bail, and a hook type clip on the other end that I slip over the top edge of my belt; it's a tight fit over the thick leather, so it's easily secure enough for normal use. The watch sits in the "ticket pocket" of the black jeans I've been wearing lately, or in the bottom of my trouser pocket, on the right-hand side.

A brass T-bar should not be too hard to make, once you've got hold of some brass rod of the right diameter. I think I'll have a go at making one this weekend.

A lathe would make the job easier, but I don't have one of those yet… maybe just by holding the rod in a collet in my milling machine and working with a file against the rod I could turn it down 1/16" to make the profile in the centre of the bar where the ring is soldered…

--
Keith
Herbert West
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »

Heres the seller who I bought my T-bar from. I managed to retrofit my watch chain and it works just fine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190697156681?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
HideTheNines
Deck Hand

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2014, 05:45:59 pm »

I wear mine in the watch pocket of my trousers while not wearing a waistcoat. I hook the chain to the waistband of my pants and cover it with the belt.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: