The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:01:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you wear your pocket watch?  (Read 32290 times)
Will Howard
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2013, 01:01:54 am »

The pocket watch on a wrist strap is how the wristwatch came into being as far as I'm aware.

I was given to understand during a history lesson while in the Army that during WW1 many British officers found the pocket watch too awkward and took to wearing hunter watches with the cover removed on a leather strap on their wrist so they could see it more easily. I don't know how true that is, but it was taken as fact during those lessons and I imagine they knew what they were talking about.

I have read that wrist watches were used by Great War aviators because they couldn't get to a pocket watch, given the bulky flying clothing & the cramped cockpits.

"I'm a Barbarian by choice, not ancestry..."
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

The noblest pleasure is the joy of understanding.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2013, 01:33:42 am »

The pocket watch on a wrist strap is how the wristwatch came into being as far as I'm aware.

I was given to understand during a history lesson while in the Army that during WW1 many British officers found the pocket watch too awkward and took to wearing hunter watches with the cover removed on a leather strap on their wrist so they could see it more easily. I don't know how true that is, but it was taken as fact during those lessons and I imagine they knew what they were talking about.

I have read that wrist watches were used by Great War aviators because they couldn't get to a pocket watch, given the bulky flying clothing & the cramped cockpits.

Frighteningly I learned the same trivia in US Army aviator school a while back.  Very retro and steamy then.  We had to wear wrist watches in Flight School and I filled up a Mason jar with broken ones since I keep casually "brushing" things with my ape-like arms.  Pocket watches have a much longer life expectancy on me.  

The reason that we had to wear wrist watches is that the built in wind up clocks in our 20+ year old helicopters rarely worked and one way or the other you will be on the ground in 2 hours and 20 minutes due to fuel.   Roll Eyes  I am so proud that the one instrument that always works in my 1961 Piper Cherokee is the clock!  It might be the only one. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 01:36:55 am by Captain » Logged

-Karl
Major Willoughby Chase
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:39 am »

Well, one gets worn here, upon occasional.

Another one gets worn here, in the top pocket.  This is where I wear it with my tweed jackets, mostly.  Swiped the idea from Bertie Wooster.

As for the ladies, I wear them on either side.

Spoiler: More top pocket action (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:02:58 am by Major Willoughby Chase » Logged
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

So English even the English don't get it!

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2013, 02:53:58 am »

That's what I gather too, but there is a little more to the story.

Wrist watches had been invented before that, but from what I've read, mens attitudes being what they were back then, they didn't really catch on because the guys felt they resembled bracelets too much and so considered them too feminine.

It wasn't until their practicality over pocket watches became apparent during WW1 that they were finally embraced. So basically, it took a world war to convince western men to wear wrist watches!

Tough crowd huh. Cheesy

Have her steamed and brought to my tent!
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 05:14:08 pm »

That's what I gather too, but there is a little more to the story.

Wrist watches had been invented before that, but from what I've read, mens attitudes being what they were back then, they didn't really catch on because the guys felt they resembled bracelets too much and so considered them too feminine.

It wasn't until their practicality over pocket watches became apparent during WW1 that they were finally embraced. So basically, it took a world war to convince western men to wear wrist watches!

Tough crowd huh. Cheesy

And everyone wanting to be as cool as an aviator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC3sURgYxng
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2013, 03:43:40 am »

Classic.  Cheesy

And yet equally intriguingly pocket watches had a resurgence in popularity during WW2. Still I love them, and I must confess I haven't worn a wrist watch (or a bracelet) for years now.  Grin
CaptQasiel
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Josephus "Seph" Metalmish

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2013, 04:19:54 am »

This is currently how I wear my pocket watch - in a custom-made leather wrist cuff! (A gift from Mrs. Qasiel)

Sadly, this is the only picture I have to hand, but I'll take some more and show it off later

SpeedyFrenchy
Snr. Officer

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 07:49:20 pm »

I wear mine in the watch pocket of my jeans, on the chain with a belt clip. Despite the comments above, I've never had any trouble with it coming off.

It's not where you're from, it's wear your hat.

- Mr B
TristanRenn
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2013, 06:55:23 am »

Always wear mine on the left (I'm right handed). It's the same side I'd wear a wristwatch, per the more familiar "rules" on that.

Folks in movies always seem to wear them in the left pocket as well, such as the old-timey train conductor who checks the time before yelling "all aboard".

But hey, to each his own.
Essex Bounty
Deck Hand

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2013, 12:19:42 am »

I have a watch, fob and chain that belonged to my father.

But I also bought a vintage Victorian watch pin, but it confuses me, because they're tiny so women must have worn a different sort of watch on these, pinned to their clothing...but then how did they use the watch?  Did they have to unpin it every instance of checking the time or was it upside down so they could just lift it and read the time?
CaptQasiel
Gunner

Josephus "Seph" Metalmish

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 04:17:28 am »

I think they wore them upside-down; my Aunt is a nurse who wears her watch like that.
Capt. Dirigible
Rogue Ætherlord

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 10:55:11 am »

I think they wore them upside-down; my Aunt is a nurse who wears her watch like that.

Yes, nurses wear a watch pinned to their upper chest area. The face is upside to anyone looking at it straight on but the right way up for the nurse as she looks down while checking a pulse.

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 11:50:58 am »

hmm, I guess then being busty would be an advantage? I mean moreso than just as mantraps. Wink

oh almost forgot, I wear it in the watch pocket with my geans and the underwhelming belt clip goes behind the belt and through a belt loop then I hook it to either a thin belt or the top of the geans with a thicker belt on. still dont much trust the hook. with my overalls, it goes in whatever pocket seems most suited for it and the clip the same.

with the wool re enacting uniform pants, there is a watch pocket, but if I wear a vest then it goes in the pocket with thechain in a button hole around the same level as the pocket
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:57:14 am by Otto Von Pifka » Logged
Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:16 pm »

Just some curious pictures of double and single Alberts being worn with blue jeans as opposed to vests.
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:23 pm »

I've got a book about Victorian watches and there are a few contemporary pictures in there of how ladies wore their watches.  Said book is upstairs at the moment, but if anyone is interested I will send the house-maid up to get it.  (We will have to wait a moment whilst she lights the candle, though.)
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2013, 10:07:47 pm »

Just some curious pictures of double and single Alberts being worn with blue jeans as opposed to vests.

That looks awful. It might look a bit better if the watch was placed in the watch pocket; the clue is in the name... and also not hanging out where anyone could snatch it.

Captain
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2013, 12:04:22 am »

That looks awful. It might look a bit better if the watch was placed in the watch pocket; the clue is in the name... and also not hanging out where anyone could snatch it.

I suspect that they are imitating biker wallets:

I would think that the chains would snag on everything. 
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2013, 12:07:45 am »

They do, I used to wear chains to stop things falling out of my pockets when I skated. Also I used to be classic punk when I was younger (not that long ago, maybe 8 years) so chains were a vital accessory Cheesy
Essex Bounty
Deck Hand

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2013, 05:14:19 am »

I've got a book about Victorian watches and there are a few contemporary pictures in there of how ladies wore their watches.  Said book is upstairs at the moment, but if anyone is interested I will send the house-maid up to get it.  (We will have to wait a moment whilst she lights the candle, though.)

I am.
Ada Thorold
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:59 am »

I am.

Seconded

~A~
Argus Fairbrass
Rogue Ætherlord
England England

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »

I did post one of these elsewhere, but just for reference.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It sounds like certain ladies tops had a special little pocket for the purpose.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:17:06 pm by Argus Fairbrass » Logged
Steam Titan
Snr. Officer

fulgur adducere

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 06:50:34 pm »

myself I tend to wear mine only with my vests but that's because I tend to wear cargos that lack the watch pocket so the chain and watch would just disappear into the deep main pockets. As for with vests the chain on mine is only a foot or so long so I tend to attach it to the vest above the second or third button and let it loop down past the right hand pocket and than back up to it where the watch sits. I've thought about investing in a longer chain. If I did that I think I would invest in a key winding watch first since the one I have right now is quartz as I got it before I was into steampunk and simply wanted a pocket watch
frances
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 06:57:06 pm »

Yes, many ladies had watch pockets.  They could be in different places on the bodice opening, at waist level as a patch pocket, and sometimes in the top of the skirt.  Ah, here is the book I mentioned above

"How the Watch Was Worn - A fashion for 500 years", Genevieve Cummins, Antique Collectors Club, 2010 ISBN 978 185149627 2  £45 sterling

There are lots of photographs of men and women wearing watches, adverts for watches and watch chains.  A coffee-table book full of scrummy pictures.

Observer Llwellyn
Deck Hand
Canada Canada

« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 06:55:42 pm »

I have no waistcoats, so I usually wear mine in my right coat pocket or right trouser pocket (I'm left-handed by the way). If the former, I stick the fob through the nearest button hole, and if the latter, I tie it around one of my belt loops. Unfortunately, I have deep pockets and a short chain (only 1ft.) so there is very little of the chain showing.

It never occurred to me to put it in the "watch pocket", I had no idea what those were for until now. I suppose it's not that far-fetched considering jeans were invented in the 1850s, but I am surprised that clothing manufacturers are still adding them after all these years.

First Law of Travel
Anything can become a vehicle -- castles, cities, military academies, you name it -- so do not be alarmed when the stones of the ancient fortress you are visiting shake underfoot and the whole thing lifts off into the sky. As a corollary, anything is capable of flight if it would be cool, aeronautics or even basic physics be damned.

-- The Grand List of Console RPG Cliches, #65
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 07:10:39 pm »

I have no waistcoats, so I usually wear mine in my right coat pocket or right trouser pocket (I'm left-handed by the way). If the former, I stick the fob through the nearest button hole, and if the latter, I tie it around one of my belt loops. Unfortunately, I have deep pockets and a short chain (only 1ft.) so there is very little of the chain showing.

It never occurred to me to put it in the "watch pocket", I had no idea what those were for until now. I suppose it's not that far-fetched considering jeans were invented in the 1850s, but I am surprised that clothing manufacturers are still adding them after all these years.

They're also used for small change, so these days they tend to carry the moniker "change pocket", but I think if you refer to it as a watch pocket then at least some people will know what you're talking about.

If memory serves, they tend to be just the right depth for a size 16 watch.

That second lady bears resemblance to my sister, though a little thinner, plus my sister wouldn't be seen dead without a straight fringe. Still, it's a definite resemblance.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: