The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 22, 2019, 08:40:04 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lonely Gear (A singles bar)  (Read 181637 times)
MWBailey
Rogue Ætherlord
United States United States

"This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"

rtafStElmo
« Reply #3975 on: June 02, 2010, 03:39:19 am »

BANJO PEOPLE!!? I never would have guessed. did you mention thgat before and i just missed it? Man, and all this time I thought I was the only Banjo Steamer... of course, we play Oldtime and dulcimer music, but still...

Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"
Thor
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #3976 on: June 02, 2010, 03:42:31 am »

How about guys who can just play the guitar and sing? You know, some of us don't have a band yet... Embarrassed

Oh, I like musicians a lot (maybe because I am one myself).
Especially bassists....

That's because we bassists do it deeper  Wink

Currently playing bass in a covers band, trying to organise semi-regular evenings where I'll play guitar and sing, and sketching out arrangements for some originals I'm going to record  Grin

So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #3977 on: June 02, 2010, 03:52:10 am »

I can't play a thing, and no one's ever asked me to sing twice.

But damn, we had fun!

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Indefinitive
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Breathe deep the madness...

« Reply #3978 on: June 02, 2010, 04:08:16 am »

How about guys who can just play the guitar and sing? You know, some of us don't have a band yet... Embarrassed

I can certainly appreciate a guy who plays guitar and sings.  Grin

That's because we bassists do it deeper  Wink

Aaaaaaand as a band geek, now I can't help it.

Band geeks all know how to do one or more of the following: suck, finger, blow, tongue, and each one has an excellent memory for rhythms and positions. Wink
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:15:15 am by Indefinitive » Logged

Nothing wrong with being a geek. See? http://www.thegenerationgeeks.com/index.html
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #3979 on: June 02, 2010, 04:48:25 am »

How do you all feel about that guy who helps out the sound guy?

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #3980 on: June 02, 2010, 05:18:31 am »

Band geeks all know how to do one or more of the following: suck, finger, blow, tongue, and each one has an excellent memory for rhythms and positions. Wink

Bass players are used to holding down the bottom end and making the windows rattle... and we can do it all with two fingers and sometimes our thumb!

Number one reason to date a bass player?
"Why don't you sit on my amp and I'll show you why I'm better than the guitarist..."

Wink

How do you all feel about that guy who helps out the sound guy?

As a musician, wannabe producer/recording engineer, and occasional mic stand monkey myself, you're doing an important job that more people should give you credit for.  It's hard doing live sound, and for anything other than a tiny venue it's really difficult as a one-man job.  Sound techs need that extra help (and less hassle from musicians), and the more you help out, the more you can learn!  There's decent money in doing sound part time.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:31:10 am by Thor » Logged
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #3981 on: June 02, 2010, 06:01:06 am »

Yeah. I remember this one time, my brother(sound guy) was having an unusual amount of trouble with the musicians. They were being idiots during sound check, or something. After about half an hour of this, he turned to me and said;
"Hey, lets go get a drink." So, we just walked out. Went to Burger King, or something, as I was still 17 at the time. He got a text about twenty minutes later asking him where we'd gone.
He didn't have trouble with that group again.

Museos often forget to be nice to the sound guy. Probably something to do with being up on stage, and the ego thing that tends to come with. Just something I've noticed.
Indefinitive
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

Breathe deep the madness...

« Reply #3982 on: June 02, 2010, 06:06:51 am »

Bass players are used to holding down the bottom end and making the windows rattle... and we can do it all with two fingers and sometimes our thumb!

Number one reason to date a bass player?
"Why don't you sit on my amp and I'll show you why I'm better than the guitarist..."

Wink

Hehe, I've never heard that one before!

In high school, I worked part time in a dinner theatre for a few weeks, learning lights and sound. Even got to run the show a few times. Although, the few times that I got to, I messed up with blending vocals in the middle of the songs every time and had to get the tech guy to take over and save my ass. While I have a musical ear, it isn't the right kind. I can blend my own voice naturally with a crowd, but doing it for other people when there are mics involved really isn't something I could catch on to.

Honestly, though, I have almost as much respect for the guy who helps the sound guy as I do for the sound guy. It really isn't as easy as most techs make it look.
helios
Zeppelin Overlord
New Zealand New Zealand

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #3983 on: June 02, 2010, 06:37:41 am »

Yeah. After helping out with a tech once or twice a week for four years, I have far more admiration for a good sound guy, or a good tech crew than I do for a good musician. Over Four years, I saw musicians change two or three times a year, at the least, but the tech crew remained the same throughout. Actually, no. The opperation got bigger, but the crew got smaller. I think, when I started, there were six or seven of us, five of which were sound guys, one was the local tech guy, and the other was me. By the time I left for Uni, it was down to four, aside from me.

Indefinitive, you sound a lot like me. I harmonise naturally when singing, but I have trouble mixing voices from a sound set up. Thats why I wasn't a sound guy. Although, after a few years, I was telling the "sound guys" at my youth group what to change to get the music sounding right. Maybe I just developed the right sorta ear? 'Course, it's nowhere near as good as the sound guys I worked with. This one guy I knew could rock up to the venue, listen to thirty seconds of soundcheck, and mix everything to perfection for the first song. Of course, he never did on purpose, but he could.
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #3984 on: June 02, 2010, 08:16:03 am »

Hehe, I've never heard that one before!

Hearing isn't the important part Wink

I try not to get involved in live sound too often, having to balance all those egos.  Although, you get that doing recording and mixing too.  I recorded an ep for a friends' band at uni.  Spent a couple of weeks (when we could get a studio) doing this instead of going to lectures and doing coursework.  My biggest problem?  I let the whole band sit in on mixing.  Not all at the same time, but it was a 6 piece band + me + the other tech guy.  Forget the cooks, too many musicians spoil the mix.  I listened to them all, allowed their opinions to influence me rather than trusting my ears.  The mix ended up nowhere near as good as it could have been.
Auntie Ludmilla
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3985 on: June 02, 2010, 09:27:15 am »

It's the drummers that tend to pull the bellydancers though.....

"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #3986 on: June 02, 2010, 10:46:34 am »

It's the drummers that tend to pull the bellydancers though.....

I'd best get practicing on my brothers drum kit then  Grin

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #3987 on: June 02, 2010, 08:00:19 pm »

MMMMMMMMM drummers.....*does homer simpson drool....*

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #3988 on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:16 pm »

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3989 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:29 pm »

My friend has this theory (Tried, tested and proven) that musicians are good in bed (I'm yet to see if she's right, buuuuut if things go well, I might have a date with a bassist  Cheesy  Wink )

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3990 on: June 02, 2010, 09:25:10 pm »

My friend has this theory (Tried, tested and proven) that musicians are good in bed

Ooo-errr, that could lead to a few unsavory comments.

Statistically then, 90% of todays young adults are Gods in bed then, if you go by a broad status of 'musician'. Seriously, you can not walk down the streets of Brighton without seeing yet -another- group of late teens/early twenties 'students' or otherwise with guitarcases on their backs.

My own theory is that its in your gene's, a 'racial' instinct if you will.

Best of luck of getting a date with that bassist Smiley

(oh and if I do step out of the bounds of what is considered borderline decent, please do tell me. My mind is filthy beyond belief, my sense of humour is also very dark (at times).
Minjoltr
Zeppelin Admiral

Asker of Questions

« Reply #3991 on: June 02, 2010, 09:58:52 pm »

I feel extra special now.  Not only am I quite normal but I'm not a musician either. Cheesy

Join Minnie in the IRC.  All of the cool people are doing it - you should too.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3992 on: June 02, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »

By tried, tested and proven, I mean that she has had 3 boyfriends in a space of 6 years (she's 25 and was more or less humped and dumped by all three of the musicians).
They weren't in bands, but they were very talented musicians (it's no coinkydink that she did, infact, go out with a bassist, a guitarist, and a drummer).
So, she's not the type to get around, if you catch my drift.
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Bastard Man powers, activate! Form of Freud!

« Reply #3993 on: June 02, 2010, 10:45:02 pm »

you get love from me Smiley

I can certainly appreciate a guy who plays guitar and sings.  Grin

Aw. Such sweet girls. If only I were actually that good and had a shot...

/He sighs and grumbles, then pours himself a tall one and swigs.

Wait... I thought drummers had a reputation for being the most dim-witted in whatever band they're in? Not to mention they sit down all the time and don't get to go all Jumping Jack Flash on the stage and shout their lungs out for exercise...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 11:42:26 pm by Acheron » Logged

'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #3994 on: June 02, 2010, 11:08:48 pm »

they may sit down all the time but they have lots of muscles in their arms and the middle eastern ones have nimble fingers...
actually so do pianists....
*sits daydreaming*
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3995 on: June 02, 2010, 11:54:06 pm »

you get love from me Smiley

I can certainly appreciate a guy who plays guitar and sings.  Grin

Aw. Such sweet girls. If only I were actually that good and had a shot...

/He sighs and grumbles, then pours himself a tall one and swigs.

Wait... I thought drummers had a reputation for being the most dim-witted in whatever band they're in? Not to mention they sit down all the time and don't get to go all Jumping Jack Flash on the stage and shout their lungs out for exercise...

Ah-hah, but drummers are the most important member of the band.
Why?
Because they keep the rythym.  Cheesy
(which means that drummers have a good sense of rythym  Wink )
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Bastard Man powers, activate! Form of Freud!

« Reply #3996 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:08 am »

they may sit down all the time but they have lots of muscles in their arms and the middle eastern ones have nimble fingers...
actually so do pianists....
*sits daydreaming*

Yes, and that's definitely what you put most strain on... Then again, I've heard a surprising amount of girls say they don't even like guys with abs. But if you're all arms... And if it's skilled and strong fingers you want, then the bassists and guitarists come out on top again. Wink

Does a skilled tongue have any value, might I ask?

Why?

Well, excuse me if I think it takes more than just being able to pound away... You've got to have some finesse...
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3997 on: June 03, 2010, 02:01:19 am »

How do you know a drummer is at the door?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Adult themes...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Lady Corsair
Zeppelin Captain

Professed cook

LiLati
« Reply #3998 on: June 03, 2010, 04:29:52 am »

I don't have a preference for musicians, although the musicians I do crush on tend to be drummers.  I do like nice a nice set of guns...

Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #3999 on: June 03, 2010, 05:05:47 am »

Why?

But then, rhythm is nothing if there's no groove.  In the best bands, the bassist and drummer lock in and make you want to move.  That's why bands without bass players are rarely any good.

Also, yes, our finger dexterity is no exaggeration.  Most guitarists who play with a pick are mainly using the muscles in their wrists... which explains a lot of things!
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 [160] 161 162 163 164 165   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: