The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 21, 2019, 02:14:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Lonely Gear (A singles bar)  (Read 181634 times)
Auntie Ludmilla
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #3950 on: June 01, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »

Fear not the Ankle-Biters, for they shall attract the Dachshunds of Doom!

Oh no, not the Dachshunds of Doom.... Anything but that...... ( chortle)

"Ifind that wine, when taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkeness" Oscar Wilde
http://www.etsy.com/shop/belladluna
RoseOak
Zeppelin Captain
England England

Romantic Zoologist

« Reply #3951 on: June 01, 2010, 03:44:24 pm »

My God I've not danced that since I was about 12  Cheesy We used to know a really great  band down in devon who could kill half the dancers with that one.
surely that´s the point? Cheesy

Aye. My do I miss Devon sometimes. Where are you based?

Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up

« Reply #3952 on: June 01, 2010, 06:01:04 pm »

So, I did a little scouting around....

Over the last few weeks, in light of the strain our chit-chatting here puts on the BG servers, some of us have been looking for alternatives.  Alternative strategies, alternative rules, alternative server policies, alternative venues, pretty much any alternative anyone can dream up other than, "y'all shut up down there."

A scheme was hatched (and mentioned here, to limited fanfare)to possibly setup some kind of steampunk group on one of the established dating sites.  I've scouted this strange, alien landscape, and these are my findings:

eHarmony: is dead to me.  They don't like the gay condition, they auto-delete poly folks, so the hell with 'em.

OKcupid: perfectly fine for what it is, but there's no group function at all, so far as I can tell.  Without something to bind us together it would just be so many more fish lost in the stream, no better than going over there alone (which isn't all that bad, actually.)

fetlife: technology wise, FetLife is actually the best match I've found for doing what we do here on someone else's bandwidth.  On the other hand, its also the most out-there social site I can find that maintains a high traffic volume.  And they DO allow you to create groups, so we could go over there, set up a SteamPunk group and chat away to our little hearts content, interacting with the freaky people as much or as little as you see fit. 

The biggest down side to FetLife isn't that its a Fetish-oriented site (for some of you, that's a plus  Kiss ) so much as its not the sort of site one wants showing up in the company router logs.  Then again, neither is OKcupid, and I think this thread would loose much of its vitality if it weren't for people posting from work. 

So, evaluation from field intelligence: I don't think we can use any of the existing social media sites to replace what we're doing here.  If we could, we probably would have in the first place.  That doesn't rule out AT ALL the possibility of a BrassGoggles field trip to kinkyville, and if there's interest we might could put something together --- do NOT underestimate the dating potential of steampunk as the new hotness.  Everyone and their cousin knows its the Next Big Thing, and if corporations are gonna cash in on us we can at least get laid outta the deal.

If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com
Thor
Zeppelin Captain

Carpe Jugulum

bigastronauts
« Reply #3953 on: June 01, 2010, 08:21:09 pm »

All three of those are blocked for me, here.  They block dating sites.  I'd say I'm surprised facebook isn't blocked (following in pakistan and bangladesh's footsteps), but there's too many expats here that wouldn't be too happy.

I'd considered donating, but I'm put off by the fact that I can't donate via paypal.  I've got a nice chunk of money on my pp account that hasn't been touched in a couple of years, I'm not doing anything with it.  My UK bank account is less than healthy (but I'm getting the bills paid, and that's what matters), my Dubai account is such a hassle I don't use it for anything other than receiving my salary.

So when times are hard and life is rough, you can stick the kettle on and find me a cup...
You can find me at facebook Here
Auntie Ludmilla
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3954 on: June 01, 2010, 08:35:06 pm »

"A steampunk fieldtrip to Kinkyville", Utini? What on earth would one pack for such an expedition....? Actually, don't answer that.....
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #3955 on: June 01, 2010, 08:37:35 pm »

"A steampunk fieldtrip to Kinkyville", Utini? What on earth would one pack for such an expedition....? Actually, don't answer that.....
There was a thread, it got locked....

I'd bring lots of clean changes of clothing....
LukeHogbin
Zeppelin Admiral
Slovenia Slovenia

Steamcat

« Reply #3956 on: June 01, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

There was a thread, it got locked....

I'd bring lots of clean changes of clothing....

Don't forget something that can get blood out of the sheets. *evil laughter*

I have defied Gods and Demons. I am your shield; I am your sword. I know you: your past, your future. This is the way the world ends.
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3957 on: June 01, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »

Oh, trust me to wake up just in time to hear someone say "Kinkyville"....
*yawns and stretches*
Good evening, all.

Ginny Audriana Irondust Moravia. Pleased t' meet ya.
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3958 on: June 01, 2010, 09:27:13 pm »

All I'm sayin' is, if you think men in kilts are popular around here...  Cool

(I really wish we'd gotten more pictures at Frolicon, it really was a lovely harness she tied on me...)
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #3959 on: June 01, 2010, 09:29:52 pm »

So on a lark I decided to fill out the questionnaire for eHarmony.
Yeah, screw those guys. That thing is such an easy walk in the part to shape as you like. If I were the lying type, I could be such an ass on that thing. Roll Eyes
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3960 on: June 01, 2010, 09:49:55 pm »

eHarmony sucks.
I joined it, then learned that you have to pay in order to contact your matches.
Ugh.
Utini: Kilts are pretty popular around here.
And I would love to see some of the gentlemen here wearing kilts.
*nudge nudge wink wink*
Miss Groves
Zeppelin Captain

running out of steam

« Reply #3961 on: June 01, 2010, 09:51:22 pm »

one would pack a lot of latex for kinkyville....and just burn the sheets, they'd be ruined anyhow

aww sad about not many if any sites being able to cope with group chat etc.
we shall just have to camp here for a while  Smiley

Happy Solar Circumnavigation Day!
"Art in the blood is liable to take the strangest of forms." - Sherlock Holmes
Let's eat Grandpa. Let's eat, Grandpa. Punctuation can save someone's life.
£5 out of £295 for a metal clay kiln : ( 
Joozey
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

It's a clockwork universe...

« Reply #3962 on: June 01, 2010, 09:52:05 pm »

Well then let's approach okCupid to create a steamCupid Smiley.

Engineer J. Fairbeard, Civil Engineer
Designer of the H.M.S. Mercuria

CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3963 on: June 01, 2010, 09:58:12 pm »

Well then let's approach okCupid to create a steamCupid Smiley.

Seconded!
 Grin
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3964 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:11 pm »

Ask and you shall receive...

(not much leg, though.  Photographers got no class in this town.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Thought on steamy dating sites: if there were eligible steampunks in your home town, you'd already know them.  We stand out.  The value of a mass steamy gathering on a vanilla dating site would be to weed out from the herd those essentially normal folks who, while not steampunk, are steam friendly.  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 10:04:49 pm by Utini420 » Logged
Silent Theatre
Officer

« Reply #3965 on: June 01, 2010, 10:06:00 pm »

My friend want me to join a dting agency, the idea fills me with horror.

How about this for cruel and odd.My friend wants me to get together with a guy Ive known for 15 years, he used to go out with another friend!!Apparently he is interested in me.An eligable batchelor that I get on with but just dont fancy.Life can be so cruel.

CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3966 on: June 01, 2010, 10:11:03 pm »

Ask and you shall receive...

(not much leg, though.  Photographers got no class in this town.)

Thought on steamy dating sites: if there were eligible steampunks in your home town, you'd already know them.  We stand out.  The value of a mass steamy gathering on a vanilla dating site would be to weed out from the herd those essentially normal folks who, while not steampunk, are steam friendly.  

You're in a band?!
Sweet!
Utini420
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #3967 on: June 01, 2010, 10:17:31 pm »

No, not really, but I did get to pretend last weekend at ImagiCon.  Friday night was "metal karaoke," with a live band, which was retardedly fun.  The next day, I decided to carry my little toy guitar, just to be different from everyone with their giant toy guns, and I ran into a buddy who'd brought his banjo.

That said, there's nothing crowd-pleasing like two goofy lads singing hobo songs with a banjo, and we were inspired to write half a song about tramp space pilots, so who knows.  We're thinking of taking the show to DragonCon this year.  As such, Saturday night I built this prototype:

Because chicks like dudes in bands, or so I've been told.  Wink
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3968 on: June 01, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »

No, not really, but I did get to pretend last weekend at ImagiCon.  Friday night was "metal karaoke," with a live band, which was retardedly fun.  The next day, I decided to carry my little toy guitar, just to be different from everyone with their giant toy guns, and I ran into a buddy who'd brought his banjo.

That said, there's nothing crowd-pleasing like two goofy lads singing hobo songs with a banjo, and we were inspired to write half a song about tramp space pilots, so who knows.  We're thinking of taking the show to DragonCon this year.  As such, Saturday night I built this prototype:

Because chicks like dudes in bands, or so I've been told.  Wink

I like dudes in bands....
Acheron
Zeppelin Captain
Sweden Sweden

Bastard Man powers, activate! Form of Freud!

« Reply #3969 on: June 02, 2010, 12:06:19 am »

How about guys who can just play the guitar and sing? You know, some of us don't have a band yet... Embarrassed

'The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously.'

- Henry Kissinger
Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #3970 on: June 02, 2010, 12:23:59 am »

My friend want me to join a dting agency, the idea fills me with horror.

I can understand, even thoughts about Dating sites make me shudder, let alone an agency  Undecided

G-Man, Half-life 2, Episode 2:
"There was a time when they cared nothing for Miss Vance, when their only experience of humanity was a crowbar coming at them down a steel corridor"
Ashlore
Officer

« Reply #3971 on: June 02, 2010, 01:16:25 am »

*pulls up a stool to the bar*

Hey there... I've been poking around the boards for a few years now, but figured now is as good of a time as any to introduce myself.  My name is Ashlore Greyson, but you can call me Ash.  I live in Idaho, where there is very little steamy love.  I do wear a kilt to work every day, so there is some fun to be had.  Someone pass me a white russian, and let's get to talkin'.
SweetestPoison
Zeppelin Captain

Gravatar

« Reply #3972 on: June 02, 2010, 01:19:04 am »

How about guys who can just play the guitar and sing? You know, some of us don't have a band yet... Embarrassed

you get love from me Smiley

Cpt. Tobias Warde
Zeppelin Admiral

Tobias T. Warde, Captain & Detective Inspector

« Reply #3973 on: June 02, 2010, 01:40:07 am »

I can not play instruments at all, well at least not tunefully. As for my 'singing', you'd much rather listen to nails being dragged down a blackboard. I am out of tune, key, tone...everything. I just am terrible at music.

...though I am good with instruments measuring 3-4 foot, with sharp edges, a tip, a guard & pommel... but there's not much call at parties for someone to whip out the sabres and start duelling (well I'm yet to find one where I can get away with it).
CorneliaCarton
Zeppelin Captain
Scotland Scotland

Gravatar

« Reply #3974 on: June 02, 2010, 01:43:08 am »

[/quote

Oh, I like musicians a lot (maybe because I am one myself).
Especially bassists....
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 [159] 160 161 162 163 164 165   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: