The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 23, 2014, 09:44:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Male steampunk hair styles?  (Read 6940 times)
Ziggy93
Deck Hand
United States United States

LEMMINGS!

« on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:43 pm »

Hey I'm trying to find some male steampunk hair styles but no luck so far. So if people have idea or pictures that would be great =D
Khet Thelonius Maxwell
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 11:49:28 pm »

http://freepages.family.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~victorianphotographs/pixs/carte.htm

Those are some typical hair styles, best I can find at the moment. there's male, female and child photographs, but look for the ones that have m6-m9 near the end of the title.

Disclaimer: The above post may not necessarily reflect the views of the Poster. Furthermore, the above post should also be taken with a grain of salt. Preferably, many grains.

"Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months" ~Oscar Wilde
patron_vectras
Zeppelin Captain

Student of Architecture; of literature; of life.

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 05:04:11 am »

http://www.gentlemansemporium.com/gallery.php?from=footer&__utma=1.1575307715.1254883040.1258268445.1258344150.8&__utmb=1.2.10.1258344150&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1257663707.6.2.utmcsr=styleforum.net|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/showthread.php&__utmv=-&__utmk=81392151

gosh, that link is HUGE
anyway, apart from having some cool stuff I haven't the coin to purchase at the present, they have a little bit of research.

Keep Running,
Patron Vectras ;]

"Thou shalt not cover thy neighbor’s ox, thy neighbor’s wife, or thy neighbor’s airship" -Cpt. Everett of the Flying Cloud
ulfnir
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Because the undead won't kill themselves.

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 11:31:47 am »

A lot of those aren't really hairstyle, more just..........hair.  Undecided

You may be smarter than me, but can YOU shoot four rounds a minute?
patron_vectras
Zeppelin Captain

Student of Architecture; of literature; of life.

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2009, 06:40:27 pm »

YES!
with oil and grease and such...
http://artofmanliness.com/2009/10/27/the-mad-men-guide-to-a-manly-haircut/
The article goes through some modern equivalents.
ulfnir
Snr. Officer

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 12:36:09 am »

hmm, I tend to just wear mine in a long plait. I did used to have a really severe undercut, but I've let that grow out somewhat, to hide the big scar on my forehead, from some brain tinkering that had to be done.
Vagabond GentleMan
Zeppelin Overlord

Clockwork Sepia

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 01:38:00 am »

I think you can dress your hair pretty much how you want to and still rock Steampunk.  Google image searches will find you pics of steampunks male and female with everything from traditional victorian hairstyles (yes, with the grease and pomades and all) to dreadlocks (real AND fake), mohawks, shaved heads, the 'mad scientist mess', etc.  A lot of steampunk dudes seem to just wear their hair long.

Well that wolf has a dimber bonebox, and he'll flash it all milky and red.  But you won't see our Red Jack's spit, nug, cuz he's pinked ya, and yer dead.
ulfnir
Snr. Officer

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 02:31:32 pm »

I concur!

It is the attitude behind the hair that is important.
Gazongola
Immortal
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 05:50:21 pm »

Dye it an odd colour!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Zeppelin Admiral

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 07:50:16 pm »

I'm doing fine with the old ponytail, which is great if you can be bothered to grow it. Once you're there, it's great. When it's longish, you just look like James May from Top Gear.

I'd be interested to see a picture of the plait, because that's what I'm planning when my hair gets really long.

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
John Pierce
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:23 am »

I wear my hair in a pompadour style most of the time as is and it works well for whatever character idea I'm working with. Slick it back with some grease for a more elegant look or spike it up psychobilly style for a grittier corsair feel. Throw in some color or a bandanna and you are set.

Ambitious but rubbish.
John Pierce
Snr. Officer

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 05:56:17 am »

After I posted I was wondering what products does everyone use for their hair to get what effect you want? I was using Murray's pomade and beeswax but they get everywhere, stain everything and will not come outand the beezwax has a smell that make me sick sometimes. Recently I have found that the pomade made by axe is surprisingly good especially for spiking or getting my hair straight up but its a bit on the expensive side so I use got to be glue for everyday goodness.
Puck
Snr. Officer

Lord, what fools these mortals be!

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2009, 01:19:27 am »

Sideburns are always appropriate.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
~ Oscar Wilde
Oddfellow
Officer

Never quite as he seems

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2009, 01:47:49 am »

Fashionable mens' hairstyles haven't changed quite as violently as other forms of fashion. Men used to tend to their facial hair more often than not, but the actual hair on top of the head was usually just worn a little more full than usual for an everyman today. The real difference you're going to find is in the product.

Victorian and Edwardian men didn't style their hair with gel. A variety of oils and waxes were used instead. A much stronger hold than any cheap gel and will keep your hair in place all day without a problem, but very greasy compared to what's seen nowadays and would probably require washing out with a strong shampoo each night before going to bed.

A more modern pomade should be able to do the trick with a bit less oily feel. American Crew makes a good pomade, but it's rather expensive and will probably still require you to clean it out each night. If cost is a factor, try something more old school like Brylcreem.
ulfnir
Snr. Officer

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2009, 06:14:30 pm »

I'm doing fine with the old ponytail, which is great if you can be bothered to grow it. Once you're there, it's great. When it's longish, you just look like James May from Top Gear.

I'd be interested to see a picture of the plait, because that's what I'm planning when my hair gets really long.
Once I have cleansed away my grubbiness i shall take an obscura image.
Rev.Hammer
Snr. Officer

Fighting sanity every day!

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2009, 11:47:44 pm »

Keep it short so it wont get caught in some infernal mechanism!
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Zeppelin Admiral

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 06:18:43 pm »

Once I have cleansed away my grubbiness i shall take an obscura image.

That would be topping, thanks.
Doctor Trakov
Zeppelin Overlord

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 03:38:51 pm »

I have my hair up in a ponytail. Last time someone measured it it was in excess of a foot long.

Captain of the IBN Czar
"Sin is a dangerous toy in the hands of the virtuous. It should be left to the congenitally sinful, who know when to play with in and when to let it alone."
Long live the Czar!
Cubinoid
Zeppelin Overlord

Cubinoid and Tixia Loxtonian

cubinoid
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:23 pm »

Must admit, I'm far too busy inventing things and creating gadgets to worry about my hair. As long as it's clean, I tuck it underneath my goggles or a top hat if it's a special occasion...

I did get time to visit the barber ONCE in my lifetime so far.

They said, "What do you want us to do?"
I replied, "That's your job, not mine. Do what you do."

The result was unusual, but I do not recommend the experience.

Also, I can now no longer sit on my hair, which is very disappointing.

We are proud to present the Surrey Steampunk Convivial, for your pleasure:
Maj. Clive Hathaway
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Adventurer & Darklantern

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 05:40:30 pm »

I've said it before somewhere else, but check out these films for more ideas:

HBO's Deadwood

Topsy Turvy

The Road to Wellville.

All have excellent examples of victorian coiffure.

"Death is the last Great adventure."

Lurk the Good Lurk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: