The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 17, 2019, 07:46:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Steam Expo - 120 Years in the Making (Dearborn, Michigan May 28-31 2010)  (Read 6968 times)
Arthur Geissler
Gunner
United States United States

« on: November 14, 2009, 06:36:28 pm »

Greetings one and all.  It is my please to announce the long await launch of our proper website.  Please pardon our steam as we work the gremlins out of the pipes.

To kick things off, we have a series of announcements for you.  To begin, we are pleased to welcome a series of very talented musicians.  So please give a round of applause to The Extraordinary Contraptions, Tartanic, and Abney Park!

For the proper information, the World Steam Expo will be running Memorial Day Weekend 2010(May 28-31) at the Hyatt Regency Dearborn in Dearborn, Michigan.  In collaboration with the Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village, we intend to bring you an event the likes the world has yet to witness.

There is so much more on its way, and as much as I would like to tell you everything this very instant, that would be spoiling the surprises that we have in store for you.  Be certain to keep your eye on that telegraph to find out more details about such events as our Charity Masquerade Ball, Victoria High Tea, and our Mad Science Fair.

Until next time, we look forward to meeting you, and your expectations.
~Arthur

http://www.worldsteamexpo.com
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 09:58:09 pm by Arthur Geissler » Logged
Lucius Voltaic
Snr. Officer

I need a cup of the brown stuff, shade of an acorn

LuciusVoltaic
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 06:41:06 pm »

Sounds great! I'll see if I can't fit it into the schedule...

...wait, is that a Righteous Bison in your avatar?

"The man who is clever and lazy however is for the very highest command; he has the temperament and nerves to deal with all situations."
--General Baron Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord
Arthur Geissler
Gunner

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 06:46:47 pm »

Indeed it is.  Quite a marvelous raygun if I do say so myself.
TimeTinker
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Steampunk Facilitator MVSS

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »

Lady Elsie and I are hoping to arrange things so that we can attend your event Arthur.  We look forward to meeting up with you once again.  If we can offer any support or help at all do not hesitate to ask.

BE SPLENDID!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:01:20 pm »

Indeed it is.  Quite a marvelous raygun if I do say so myself.

Indeed it is..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Mina
Snr. Officer

Steampunk seraphim, femme fatale

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:35:47 pm »

wish I could make it but my current mode of transport has given me a quite adamant 'no'.

Come take my journey into night
    Come be my shadow, walk at my side
    And when you see all that I have seen
    Can you tell me love from pride?
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 11:57:25 pm »

I will certainly be there, and I shall be bringing at least three friends with me. We all live in Grand Rapids, which is only a two hour drive away!

Viaţa este frumoasă
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:01:34 am »

I can't be there, too poor... *sobs*
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 06:14:15 am »

I will certainly be there, and I shall be bringing at least three friends with me. We all live in Grand Rapids, which is only a two hour drive away!

There's other steampunks in grand rapids! who would have thought!  Wink
elShoggotho
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 11:35:12 am »

There is no possible way I can reach the colonies before summer 2011. I'm terribly sorry.
Gypsy
Gunner

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 07:19:26 pm »

There's other steampunks in grand rapids! who would have thought!  Wink

Do you live in GR?
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 09:00:02 pm »

Caledonia, which is pretty close
Sir A Poiselamppe
Zeppelin Overlord

Inventor of the Homing Battenburgram

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 01:25:35 pm »

Only 3,758 mile away.....better start walking

Arthur Geissler
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 05:07:23 pm »

Oh how the chrono-stream passes, it is without further delay that we update you with the latest going-ons of the expo.  We are proud to announce esteemed author G.D. Falksen, and Hugo Award recipients Phil & Kaja Foglio of the Gaslamp Fantasy comic Girl Genius.  There's more to come, once again, keep your eyes on that telegraph.

~Arthur
Minjoltr
Zeppelin Admiral

Asker of Questions

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 06:49:19 pm »

We, by which I mean everyone from Europe without funds or transportation, should meet in Saint Nazaire at the end of February, from where we shall set out in the largest and most dapper fleet of pedalos the world has ever seen.  This will give us almost three months to make the crossing to the New World and to find this 'Michigan' place.  From there, we can ask for directions.

Between now and then, we have three months to each find a pedalo and outfit it with armchairs, ray guns and whatever other home comforts we might desire for the crossing.  I would recommend packing at least one umbrella and a change of socks, as it is likely to rain.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 06:54:17 pm by Minjoltr » Logged

Join Minnie in the IRC.  All of the cool people are doing it - you should too.
ladyelsie
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2009, 12:24:59 pm »

Minjoitr,

May I suggest a pair of 'waterwings'. I do feel with the current state of health and safety legislation from the E.U., and as we are leaving from the europeon continent we should make a token effort to comply.

yours

Lady Elsie.
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2009, 12:30:25 pm »

Might I suggest a buddy system, where we are attached in pairs so when one person gets tired of peddling, the other can take over.
Arthur Geissler
Gunner

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:53 pm »

Hello my friends near and far.  There is so much that I would like to tell you, but today there is much that I will.  We've been working hard to bring you an event like no other, and that's exactly what we intend to provide.  Right now there are 2 days left to get in on our early bird special on registration and you won't want to miss out on the chance to save on all 4 days.

Right now we have new events on the horizon such as our Victorian Swimsuit Contest, rules and regulations for the Mad Science Fair, Space Race, late night programming, more details on our charity ball, as well as more details on Greenfield Village and the Henry Ford Museum.  There are more guests to announce, and even more going on.

This year is the start of a new decade, we're going to kick things up more than a few notches.  Once again we look forward to meeting you, and your expectations.
Powerslave60
Gunner

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 04:19:52 pm »

Luckily this is only 20 minutes away from where I live, so I'm definitely going!  I just need to get my finances straightened out first.

"But if we don't cut down the trees, how will we make our houses?"
The doomed one
Snr. Officer

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 11:10:12 am »

I just registered two days ago and i should be attending all four days (what with the living less than 1/2 an hour away and all Grin ), I am also attempting to convince some of my friends to join me.

Minion for hire (will work for pie).
Powerslave60
Gunner

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 05:25:43 am »

I've been trying to find people to go with me, but nobody will.  They either a) don't know what Steampunk is, b) don't want to be around "a bunch of nerds, c) are having a baby that weekend.  You know, dumb reasons.  Alas, I shall be going alone.  Hopefully somebody at the Expo will allow me to at least be within ten feet of their group so I don't look like an outcast. =P
Arthur Geissler
Gunner

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2010, 09:50:04 pm »

Attention Ladies, Gentlemen, and Airship Officers,

We would like to cordially invite you to join us at the King's Court Castle for the World Steam Expo's pre-season premiere gala, the Brass Spring Ball! This is a delightful opportunity to meet, greet, and be a part of the who's who of the Michigan steam gentry.  The ball will give you wonderful opportunity to show off your finest wares instead of hiding them at home while being treated to some of the finest music of the age.  A full course meal is included with your invitation.  Make your mark in society by joining us for an evening of dinner, dancing, and celebration to kick off the new season!

Doors will open for you at 6 p.m. until 11 p.m..  Dinner will be served at 7 p.m.

Price for the evening of dinner, dancing and innovation:  $50 per individual, or $90 per couple.

We await to see you there!
Mina
Snr. Officer

jaimie_lee93
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 01:42:46 am »

So I've finally worked out everything so I can go! It turns out I'll be in Lansing for a day that weekend, and I have family in Detroit, so I will be going, probably on Saturday.  Grin
Victorian Anachronist
Gunner

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 01:49:06 am »

I'm amongst the lucky ones who live just minutes from the Hyatt Regency, and I have a double room reserved for the weekend (it makes a lot more sense to have a room there, it's just so much more convenient for changing clothes and resting). It's fantastic to have an in-state Steampunk convention....I don't even know where the nearest one is otherwise.

I was unhappily surprised to see that the discount room rate isn't available for Sunday night/Monday morning....was that the hotel's decision? I'd imagine people who travelled far to get here (or are, as in my case, unemployed) would have to leave Sunday or find the cash to pay $140 for another day.

My friend Anna and I are looking for a roommate, to help ease the cost of the room, so PM me if you're interested and I'll give you the details!   Smiley
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:02:22 am by Victorian Anachronist » Logged
Arthur Geissler
Gunner

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 12:16:00 am »

We're remedying that right now as we have to add more rooms to our block(ran out).  Give us a few days and you will be able to adjust your reservation.  The standard rate for the weekend is only $90, and no parking fees(unless you choose valet parking that is).
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: