Author Topic: Dragon*Con 2010 - Atlanta, GA USA - Sept. 3-6, 2010  (Read 23066 times)

Lady Corsair

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Professed cook
Re: Dragon*Con 2010 - Atlanta, GA USA - Sept. 3-6, 2010
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 05:52:27 pm »
Not to be an ass, or anything, but if the football game won't move, why doesn't DragonCon?  The football game just spans the one weekend, yeah? 
Do you smile to tempt a lover? Or is this your way to hide a broken heart?
Many dreams have been brought to your doorstep; they just lie there and they die there.

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 06:18:48 pm »
1. We were there first.
2. There is no other facility in the South East that could handle the con without putting it in some kind of civic center, which would suck bad enough to effectively kill the con.
3. Labor Day weekend is a pretty popular time slot, pretty much the only weekend Dragon can happen, at least in its present form.

Its not like the football game prevents the con from happening, it just muddies the waters.  Most folks do not have nearly as bad a reaction to the football people as I do.
If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2009, 12:13:50 am »
During last years Dragon*Con there was the Georgia Tech game, Alabama / Virginia tech game, a local junior college game, Nascar race, and the Britney Spears concert  going on in the same weekend. I am not privy to any of the information as to how long but Dragon*Con books the hotels many years in the future. I am betting its more than 5 years. There is not a convention style hotel in downtown we haven’t gotten.

Part of the Charm of the convention is the ability of convention goers to go up to their rooms change costumes and walk right out of the elevators and be right in the convention. Now we get to do it for 5 blocks solid. People come downtown during Dragon*Con to show their kids the costumes. But the way Steampunk was well represented in the parade.

Dragon*con is a fan run convention. It is not a prefect convention but if it was I would have a bunch of neat stories about well known people. Plus the people are like family. <Sorry Utini> Even the newly converted football fans. They are as much fun at the Salvation Army and the Southern Baptist Convention who shared the hotel with us in the past. Once they got used to us they started to have fun too.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2009, 07:29:01 pm by Erland Calwallader »

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »
Well, the Southern Baptist convention was... interesting.  But more in the sense of both groups laughing at each other.  I can fondly recall the disapproving look I got from a 12 year old black girl, as she examined the flogger clipped to my kilt, "What's this?!?"

I don't in any way expect others to agree with me on this or see this one my way.  Its not like I want Dragon to have big banners saying, "No football fans!"  (And there was something endearing about Vader Elvis last year berating some Alabama fans for not being Florida Gators fans, loud!). 

:

But (and this is purely my selfish little heart talking here) its not really about the foot ball fans having fun or not, I really don't care.  Its that I'd have a little more fun without them.  But I'll admit, at least if they go to the con they are now going to the con.  That's a critical distinction, rather than taking up (wasting) a room in the con hotel just to go to a stupid foot ball game.

Other than that, I'm with you the "like family," thing.  I'm just that grumpy uncle who doesn't like that side of the family.  And, what with the it-just-won't-freaking-end play-off season Alabama has had this year (national chamionship game, don't ya know) I'm reacting extra-salty in reaction to all the extra over-exposure.  You can't go 500 m in this town without seeing the crap right now

Pennie Nevan

• Officer
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 12:43:17 am »
Well I'm hoping to go, I'm never sure if it is going to work out, till about a month or two before hand. However, I'm still going to start planning costumes soon. I've finally got my own crew, The Secondhand Misfits (working title) and going to be Agatha, if all works out that is.

The football fans don't really bother me, though I don't really appreciate the snide and snarky comments about the con goers, but I just attribute that to the whole "scared of different people" and "wish I was one of them."

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 08:04:43 pm »
The mundanes are fun and always been a part of the convention. Their facial expressions and reactions has always been a part of the fun. From the time I was at the Dragon*con at the old Omni Hotel where the couple staying in the top floor suites came out in formal evening wear. They didn't say a word but kept cutting their eyes to the kid in the druid costume. When they left the crowded car the whole elevator full of Dragon*Con goers broke out in laughter. The none geeks make some of the best convention moments.

Last year I got in to an elevator at the Marriott and a R2D2 robot rolled next to me and no one in the elevator gave it a second look. This included the younger kids. I guess I like seeing the excitement you get with the newbies.

Oh by the way, I will not tell you I am a strong Bama fan. That way you might still like me.

Carmila

• Deck Hand
  • Daddy isn't going to like this!
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 09:56:39 pm »
This was always an issue even when I lived in GA. Now that I have to find a hotel room because I live in CA, it is an even bigger problem. There are so many hotels in the area I never understood why the SEC people wanted to stay in hotels that have a massive convention going on in them. Sure the proximity is nice, but still.

I will say I am seriously looking forward to D*C this year. SEC people and all!
Commodore Carmila Rufflebutt of her Majesty's Royal Airship Corps. Rogue daugter of the Count of Keys.

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 10:20:49 pm »
Oh, I got plenty of friends who are Bama fans (I graduated there, myself), and I rather enjoy the mundanes in their gawking at the awesome mode.  Its the loud, jeering, judgmental, dumbass comments and crap I could do without; they get to have the rest of the planet and the other 361 days a year.  That weekend, in that space, I do not welcome their intrusion at all.  Part of why I like it is that I shouldn't have to listen to that crap in that time and place.  But, alas, one must tolerate (or so security tells me).

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 03:18:49 pm »
I never had anyone hassle me but I heard stories. I remember when the Mets baseball team stayed at the Hyatt during Dragon*Con. They could not get on the elevators to get to there rooms. The game was delayed 3 hours. No one cared they where the Mets or knew who they were.

BaronPablo

• Snr. Officer
  • Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 03:41:12 pm »
There are nerds who play sports, y'know. I myself play football (soccer), American football and rugby when I can, amongst other things (martial arts of various kinds included).

That aside, I'm thinking we BGers should room up together at DragonCon, creating steampunk-exclusive rooms and the like. :D

Also, I'd rather not pay the full price for a room!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:44:23 pm by BaronPablo »
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 01:40:09 am »
I am an Ex-jock/SciFi Nerd too. I did see an youTube where some goof balls where making fun of us. It is their lost. Last year I really needed some one to stop by and tell me the Bama score.

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »
Jeez, guys.  I wasn't trying to say that football fans are bad people.  I just want 4 days -- 4 little days, out of the whole damn year -- where I do not have to hear anything about it at all, explain why I don't give a shit about it, or ignore any discussion of it happening around me.  Four days, is that so much to ask?   I do realize asking for a long weekend, in the deep south, without foot ball is a freakishly alien notion, anathema to the general populace of the region.  That's why I did something nutty, and went to a freakin' comic convention::)

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2010, 10:18:37 pm »
OK, I understand what your saying. I hate to say it, that is a tall order. Hope you have fun any ways.

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2010, 11:03:38 pm »
Oh, I will.  They ain't thrown off my game yet, just hassled it on the edges.

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2010, 04:22:10 am »
They ain't thrown off my game yet, just hassled it on the edges

There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles and piles of trials with smiles.
It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave and keep on thinking free.

Moody Blues

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Lady of the copper frogs
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2010, 07:26:18 pm »
I remember when Dragon con was in the Omni- that was my first one- haven't missed it since. I even worked Con suite staff for 16(!) years....
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2010, 01:47:49 pm »
I remember when Dragon con was in the Omni- that was my first one- haven't missed it since. I even worked Con suite staff for 16(!) years....

It was my first one too. They expected 1500 people and 3000 showed up. The Omni only ran 1 elevator for the majority of convention. Anne McCaffrey bless her heart, had a line of a 1000 people for a book signing. Up to then the biggest convention I went to was about 450 people. I had a blast.

Con suite is a tough job thanks for you work
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:15:18 pm by Erland Calwallader »

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2010, 12:22:13 am »
I'd probably still be working the Con Suite, but I got married and had children. It's hard to focus on getting hours when pursuing offspring....I will most likely be back at the con suite in 2011...said offspring will be old enough to be semi civilized and spend time with their paternal parent without driving him to the nuthouse..

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2010, 04:25:05 pm »
I checked, most of the rooms have closets for the kids. Wedge a chair up against it and your good for the day. <Just kidding!!!> Some of the kids I watched running up and down the hallways when I first went to a convention are now sitting next to me in the bar. <legally> It does not seem right. So strange. They are almost as old as I think I am.

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2010, 04:19:08 am »
While I was at Chattacon, Arcattack said they will be at Dragon*Con this year. I have a feeling Steampunk is going to be extremely huge this year. The track director is already working hard on some steamy madness. She is keeping it secret so far.

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »
Nah, I think its a passing fad.   ;)

Ex Libris

• Officer
  • Fine Automatons & Mechanical Assistants
    • CostumeArtist
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »
Nah, I think its a passing fad.   ;)

Me, too.  Let's all go goth!

(I keed, I keed!)
Ex

Erland Calwallader

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 09:33:26 pm »
Insert Quote
Quote from: Utini420 on Today at 04:26:59 PM
Nah, I think its a passing fad.   

Me, too.  Let's all go goth!

(I keed, I keed!)
Ex

Hmm, Ex with a nose spike and black lip stick. Not to mention the black finger nails. I think you can pull it off.

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2010, 09:03:03 pm »
Arc Attack was there in '09- I tried to get into the show with my kids, but it was A) too late and B) they had too many people.....maybe I'll get to see them this year..

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2010, 05:01:30 pm »
Ya, and they were in a bigger room in '09 than in '08!
Slowly but surely, some of the newer acts are getting better priority over some of the older always-there acts.  Arc Attack in particular seem to pretty much nail the D*Con demographic, and appeal to more folks than just the goths (some of which is fine, but not every goth group has the same appeal).