Author Topic: Dragon*Con 2010 - Atlanta, GA USA - Sept. 3-6, 2010  (Read 23067 times)

Wilhelmina Frame

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Chronicle
Re: Dragon*Con 2010 - Atlanta, GA USA - Sept. 3-6, 2010
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2010, 06:54:05 am »
here is my favorite photo from Friday night:

Part Time Lion Tamer
Editrix de Mode, Steampunk Chronicle
Founder, American Tea Duelling Society

Ginny Blundy

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #176 on: September 07, 2010, 03:33:25 am »
Back home from DragonCon. I really wish I'd checked in here prior to the con for information on a meet-up, but I was so busy at the con it's hard to imagine fitting anything else in.

So did everyone have a good time?

I thought the Steampunk Maker's event was excellent, truly one of the highlights of the event for me. I got a fantastic steampunk-themed sketch from Ted Naifeh (my favorite comic book artist) that I will have to post here as soon as I am less exhausted. As usual I met many people in elevators, the food court, and while waiting in line who were extremely nice, and that's always a great thing.

On the other hand, people seemed excessively rowdy this year. There was theft in the comic artist's alley, and one of our friends here on the forum got injured in an unexpected manner, although I'll let him tell that story if he chooses (I mean you, Utini!). I just now learned from a friend that is staying through tonight that a group of men looking to mug someone were in the Marriott lobby earlier this evening (which he guessed because one of them had a gun - not a prop, but an actual gun). He had a ridiculously hard time getting anyone to do something about it (hotel security told him he had to tell the police, and took no further action). Finally the situation was actually taken care of, basically because my friend pursued it.
And as usual I met many people in elevators, the food court, and while waiting in line who were extreme jerks. Actually, mostly in elevators. But still, always a bad thing.

Which is not to say that I have no interest in returning, because it's not like the con can magically know who will get rowdy and refuse to sell them a membership. Also, random guys wandering off the streets of Atlanta to perform a crime is precisely that - random. So this is meant more to say "huh. People seem rowdy this year. Anybody else feel that way?"
Oh, you are beautiful! No really, you are, you're gorgeous! Space-age clockwork, I love it, I've got chills! Listen, I mean this from the heart - and by the way, count those - it would be a crime, it would be an act of vandalism to disassemble you.

But that won't stop me.

Wilhelmina Frame

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Chronicle
« Reply #177 on: September 07, 2010, 04:37:31 am »
Sadly, the potential mugging bit is just Atlanta, or for that matter, any major city right now. You have lots of drunk people with fake guns running around so it's perfect for an opportunist. Although as an aside, people with guns in Atlanta are super common. I know a lot of people who are packing 95% of the time. But when people look shifty and whatnot, it's a different story. There was a prominent goggle theft last year and with so many people you are going to have some that are greedy and lazy.

I spoke with Utini and he told me the story. Bizarre.

I think a lot of the jerks were the con tourists -- people who came to drink and people watch but not actually attend the con. Unless they stop letting people into the hotel bars and atriums I doubt you will avoid that. And there is so much money for the hotels to make I doubt they will ever stop that unless there is some sort of major incident.

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Lady of the copper frogs
« Reply #178 on: September 07, 2010, 11:20:48 am »
I had a pretty good time- I was in the parade, I went to the photo shoot, and spent Saturday in my steampunk finery. I had some lovely conversations with folks, I met Wilhelmina, Utini, and the gentleman with the airship painted on his drum (I didn't catch his name). I think I saw some other BG people, but I wasn't sure...If I can figure out how to post pictures, then I will..
Please take a look at my website, see what I create...

http://www.forestbetz.weebly.com

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #179 on: September 07, 2010, 04:50:54 pm »
I had an amazing time at D*C! It was lovely meeting and seeing so many of you there. I came home with enough ideas to keep me sewing, drilling, hot gluing and spray painting straight through to next Dragon*Con. Only 359 days I think.  ;D
"...a little Nineteenth Century science, Stone Age atmosphere, Cave Man passion!"

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2010, 09:55:35 pm »
My outfits/costumes from D*C, in case you saw me out and about.  :)
:

:

:

:

Captain Brandsson

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • "We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."
    • My cog of the Steampunk Empire
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:18 pm »
My outfits/costumes from D*C, in case you saw me out and about.  :)
:

:

:

:

Wow! Great pics.
Is #3 a Kyoshi Warrior?
- Maximilian

Wilhelmina Frame

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Chronicle
« Reply #182 on: September 07, 2010, 10:27:25 pm »
You look great -- but I never saw you, or saw you but didn't realize. Super props on the Katamari!

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #183 on: September 07, 2010, 11:20:01 pm »
Wow! Great pics.
Is #3 a Kyoshi Warrior?
Thank you and yes it is! From the Appa's Lost Days episode. (extra geeky, I know.)  :) I was in the parade in this costume.
You look great -- but I never saw you, or saw you but didn't realize. Super props on the Katamari!
Thank you! We entered the Masquerade with the Katamari but didn't win anything, which is ok because we had a great time.

Captain Brandsson

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • "We've done the impossible, that makes us mighty."
    • My cog of the Steampunk Empire
« Reply #184 on: September 07, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »
Wow! Great pics.
Is #3 a Kyoshi Warrior?
Thank you and yes it is! From the Appa's Lost Days episode. (extra geeky, I know.)  :) I was in the parade in this costume.
Points for that! :)
My son and I are considering Zuko and Iroh for Halloween.

BaronPablo

• Snr. Officer
  • Vapeurpunk ou Barbarie!
    • Facebook
« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2010, 12:29:05 am »
What a fantastic Dragon*Con this year! I was the fellow with the monogoggle:

Did any of you snap my photo? Did I drink with you? Did I dance with you? Did I flirt with you?  ;D

Also, here are all of my photos, Facebook album style:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=75531&id=1540650009
Mr. Saturday of Mr. Saturday & Sixpence, Gentlemen-For-Hire!
AetherFest, Texas' Oldest Steampunk Convention, Chairman
San Antonio Neo-Victorian Association, Chairman

Wilhelmina Frame

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Chronicle
« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2010, 12:47:31 am »
Sadly, I did not see you either ---

But did you see me?

Or perhaps the back of me?

Benzworth

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2010, 01:23:10 am »
Second year attending, and first in steampunk gear.  I'll try to get some shots up of my modest uniform soon.  I was one of the many blokes in tropical gear, so I probably disappeared in the crowd.

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2010, 02:47:30 am »
Did any of you snap my photo? Did I drink with you? Did I dance with you? Did I flirt with you?  ;D
Sadly, no. :(
But did you see me?
I did see you. I thought your hat was yummy. :)

You both look fabulous!

Ginny Blundy

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2010, 03:23:06 am »
Sadly, the potential mugging bit is just Atlanta, or for that matter, any major city right now. You have lots of drunk people with fake guns running around so it's perfect for an opportunist. Although as an aside, people with guns in Atlanta are super common. I know a lot of people who are packing 95% of the time. But when people look shifty and whatnot, it's a different story. There was a prominent goggle theft last year and with so many people you are going to have some that are greedy and lazy.

I spoke with Utini and he told me the story. Bizarre.

I think a lot of the jerks were the con tourists -- people who came to drink and people watch but not actually attend the con. Unless they stop letting people into the hotel bars and atriums I doubt you will avoid that. And there is so much money for the hotels to make I doubt they will ever stop that unless there is some sort of major incident.

Very likely on all counts. I think the hotels might be a bit motivated to provide - and demand - more security as damages during the weekend increase. There was an incident in the Hyatt in which one elevator stopped working on Friday night. I heard varying reports but I believe the elevator was damaged by someone. One of the monitors in a Hyatt elevator was also stolen at some point during the weekend, and of course there was the broken window at the Hilton.

As for people with guns - I live in Alabama and it's equally common here for people to carry guns. But shiftiness does tend to express itself, and I'm glad that my friend continued to pursue this matter until the would-be muggers were taken care of. That represents the higher level of responsibility that I often see at the con.

Wilhelmina Frame

• Zeppelin Captain
    • Steampunk Chronicle
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2010, 03:34:00 am »
Sadly, no. :(
But did you see me?
I did see you. I thought your hat was yummy. :)

You both look fabulous!

Thank you!

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2010, 11:48:11 am »
Wow! Great pics.
Is #3 a Kyoshi Warrior?
Points for that! :)
My son and I are considering Zuko and Iroh for Halloween.
That's awesome! If you do, please post pics.  :)

ForestB

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Lady of the copper frogs
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2010, 12:33:13 pm »
Baron Pablo- I DID see you, and I think I even complimented you on one of your outfits....I was the lady in the purple butterfly jacket..

Ryu

« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2010, 05:08:31 pm »
I was there, lurking about. Saw a few of you, though only at a distance. Had a good time, but there was so much to try and fit into a weekend! Still trying to get over the post con mehs.... Why must I return to real life!! >.<

Oh, and BaronPablo, I did see you and you have a photo of my sister!

Utini420

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • it is OK to tell me when its time to shut up
    • Utini's Workshop
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2010, 05:56:32 pm »
Well now, that was fun...  8)  DragonCon was frakin' insane, and the whole thing is something of a blur. It was like every few hours was a new episode of the This Is Awesome Show, guest starring another half-dozen fabulous people.

The con was definitely on the rowdy end this year, though that's a mark in the Good Thing column in my book -- of course, I tend to be more accepting of life's little quirks like random muggings and glass to the face than I maybe should be.  Still, I was talking with some old con vets, security people, and party throwers like ConTorage as early as Thursday night, and we could already sense that this con was going to be off the frakin' chain.  It didn't disappoint.  I did my part to help out but dismissing my typical "no drinking" policy in favor of a bottle of rum.  Sleep was also optional, of course, and not to be encouraged.

I'm trying to make it through my first day back at work, so I can't really give a detailed run-down or post any pics -- I'm still working to get them sorted and cleaned, but eventually that will all get blogged.  But, a few highlights...

First, the broken window story: something got out of hand in an 8th floor room in the Hilton (rumors of a fight abound, but their official story was, "I slipped") and they broke out their window.  As it happened, I was directly below this window on the street outside smoking.  The guy next to me got a bit cut up and was whisked away by medics.  My wife heard the noise, recognized that it was from above, and got back under an awning.  I remember thinking, "That's an awful lot of glass for a spilled drink..." then WHAM!  A big hunk of glass hit me right across the bridge of the nose.  From fear as much as pain, I spend a few seconds holding my face and thinking, "OH GOD MY EYES!" before looking down at my fingers... which are clean.  "Am I OK?" I ask my frightened wife.  "Ya, you're ok," she replied hesitantly, not quite believing my luck. "I'm OK?" I ask, then as the adrenalin slides from pre-flight to victory dance, "I'M OK!!!"  I spent the rest of the evening high on my apparent invincibility, well pleased to have passed my armor saving throw vs. building.

The Maker's Expo was a blast, I was both thrilled and slightly ashamed to be included in such illustrious company.  It was great hanging with some of my maker buds, and meeting some of the folks behind some of the things that have inspired my madness.  Oh, hay, someone took a pic for me!

The Time Traveler's ball was also great, so many friends in one place, and SteamPunk Boba Fett totally got me with "his" little joke before the Contraptions went on.  ConTorage still throws THE room party (ok, they threw two of 'em, both were great) Though, I've got to say, possibly the most randomly "me" kind of fun I had was with the traveling street rave.  Some friends and I were outside, realizing we were all sick of waiting on some folks, and had just started to wonder what we should get into when about 80 people came around the corner following a few lads with amps and speakers on their backs.  We joined this motley crew as they passed us, dancing our way around streets and buildings of the con until we ran into the other random street party. 

Lots of dancing, lots of drinking, lots of wonderful people (new friends and old).  I fucking love DragonCon.  I'll let y'all know when I get my pics ready.
If you have a Dremmel, everything is compatible.
Utini's Workshop:   http://utini420.blogspot.com

Grace Adget

• Officer
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2010, 09:52:52 pm »
Still trying to get over the post con mehs.... Why must I return to real life!! >.<
My sister and I have joked about starting a sorta crappy techno band and touring the con circuit selling our handmade goods just so it will never have to end. :D

Dr Fidelius

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2010, 12:46:48 am »
I am looking at people's photostreams from the con, and I believe I saw a Steampunk Deadpool in the background of one shot.  Can anyone confirm or deny this character's presence at the con?
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.

The Nordic One

• Officer
  • One must look proper when one conquers..
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2010, 12:56:50 am »
I just have one question for everyone:

Why did it have to end?

Ryu

« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:14 am »
Why did it have to end?

Because we would die of malnutrition and lack of sleep if it kept going and going and going??? ;)

The Nordic One

• Officer
  • One must look proper when one conquers..
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2010, 05:30:15 am »
Why did it have to end?

Because we would die of malnutrition and lack of sleep if it kept going and going and going??? ;)

Actually, I ate rather well while I was down there; did not visit a single Waffle House (though I desperately wanted to).. lack of sleep, on the other hand.. ;)