The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 24, 2014, 09:28:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Forum highlights on twitter: @BG_couk

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Priest  (Read 5920 times)
shadowmane
Deck Hand
United States United States

« on: September 30, 2009, 03:11:34 am »

Okay, I'm ordained, and am thinking about putting together a steampunk outfit.  However, I cannot find anything anywhere that says what an Anglican Priest wore during the Vitorian Era.  There's plenty of stuff about what Catholic Priests wore, but that's a different animal altogether.

I could go with my Cassock, but I think they only wore those in the church building (like we do now).  Anybody know what a typical country Parson (or even a clergyman in the city) would have worn in the Victorian England?
helios
Immortal
New Zealand New Zealand

Probably not Death, the Destroyer of Worlds

eliasvonhelios
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 06:37:52 am »

Not exactly what you're after, but you might want to check out this thread for ideas.

In smoggiest day, in sooted night
no ignorance shall escape my sight.
Let those who worship ignorance's might,
beware my power... Brass Goggles light!
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 07:06:50 am »

Okay, I'm ordained, and am thinking about putting together a steampunk outfit.  However, I cannot find anything anywhere that says what an Anglican Priest wore during the Vitorian Era.  There's plenty of stuff about what Catholic Priests wore, but that's a different animal altogether.

I could go with my Cassock, but I think they only wore those in the church building (like we do now).  Anybody know what a typical country Parson (or even a clergyman in the city) would have worn in the Victorian England?

My mental image is of a plain black suit, black shirt or dickie, and standard white dog-collar. This may be a foggy recollection of photographs of past Ministers on the wall of my parents' church, or it may just be random neural noise...

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
Z.H.J. Lindenvale
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 08:26:25 am »

Shadowmane,

I'm a seminarian who is going to be ordained a Lutheran priest. We have very similar clericals as far as I know. The only difference is that your cassock is reaching down to the ankle, while ours reaches to our knees like a frock coat (so that you have the ability to dance while wearing it). Anyhow, I am neo-Victorian rather than Steampunk, so I am merely planning of addy a snazzy hat to the cassock to wear while I'm outdoors with it and not performing services. I would advise you to take inspiration from some of these images of English priests.

Also, it might be quite dashing to wear your standard clerical collar with black shirt and trouser, along with a coat and a white cravat, like the Vicar of Cranford from the Cranford television series:

I hope that helps you a bit, and if you yourself come across a nice piece of inspiration, please do send me a private message. I would be delighted to see it.

Sincerely,
Z.H.J. Lindenvale
shadowmane
Deck Hand

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 02:46:24 pm »

Wow, thanks for the pics.  I think I would go for the black suit with the dog collar.  Or maybe a black suit, with a black waistecoat/vest with the collar on that (they actually sell those at Autom, which is where I get a lot of my stuff).

Incidentally, if anyone is going for the Cassock look, it would try to get a used one on Ebay.  Or, I think Simplicity has a pattern for one.  Back before I was ordained, I looked through most of the sites that provides vestments for Priests.  There are some places with patterns, but most of the stuff is ultra-expensive.

At the very least, a collared rabat under a waistecoat would probably be the best thing in terms of staying cool in the outfit.  I'm getting the creative juices flowing now.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm not Steampunk, I Live Steampunk....

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 03:06:24 pm »

hm, i wonder why the images were removed....

in any case, the addition of a liturgical utility belt is never a bad idea...

you gotta love livin babe, cause dyin is a pain in the ass -----
 frank sinatra
Capt. Dirigible
Time Traveler
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Shirts?.....I got plenty at 'ome.

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 03:38:33 pm »

The images are still there if you click on them...

I say, Joe it's jolly frightening out here.
Nonsense dear boy, you should be more like me.
But look at you! You're shaking all over!
Shaking? You silly goose! I'm just doing the Watusi
Z.H.J. Lindenvale
Deck Hand
Sweden Sweden

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:16:42 pm »

Wow, thanks for the pics.  I think I would go for the black suit with the dog collar.  Or maybe a black suit, with a black waistecoat/vest with the collar on that (they actually sell those at Autom, which is where I get a lot of my stuff).

Incidentally, if anyone is going for the Cassock look, it would try to get a used one on Ebay.  Or, I think Simplicity has a pattern for one.  Back before I was ordained, I looked through most of the sites that provides vestments for Priests.  There are some places with patterns, but most of the stuff is ultra-expensive.

At the very least, a collared rabat under a waistecoat would probably be the best thing in terms of staying cool in the outfit.  I'm getting the creative juices flowing now.

shadowmane,

You have to buy the clericals yourself? I'm feeling quite lucky now, as my church pays for the kaftan (or knee-length cassock) for each individual who is ordained, and that means bespoke tailored ones going for up to 1000 Euro. Regular clergy shirts and rabats are quite expensive aswell!

The solid black suit with collar is very common in male priests attire, at least in my circles, and I'm not much of a fan of jackets. However, a simply black waistcoat on a black shirt does look a tad boorish. The problem is that I feel that it is important to wear strictly black clothing, unless lots of symbolism is lost in the liturgy, and that restricts some options.

EDIT: I think that we can not look back to the Victorian era for inspiration, as then the priest did wear the cassock pretty much everwhere, and I myself (like you) feel that it is meant for special occassions, such as weddings, funerals, stately dinners, royal dinners and other festive or solemn events.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 08:20:31 pm by Z.H.J. Lindenvale » Logged
shadowmane
Deck Hand

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:00:56 pm »

Oh, I'm supplied with a hand-me-down cassock.  My parents bought me a cheap set of Chasubles, and my church supplied me with a few collar shirts.  They also bought me a Cotta to go over the Cassock when I'm "in choir".

I'm finding the pictures in this thread and the other one very helpful.  I have ideas now for building me a Neo-Victorian/Steampunk outfit that will get the point across.
von Corax
Immortal
Canada Canada

The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 04:48:50 am »

They were removed because they were placed in <quote> tags, and the Forum's engines automatically remove unspoilered images from quotes to save bandwidth. It's just the Machinery doing its job.
tophatdan
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 01:22:16 am »

They were removed because they were placed in <quote> tags, and the Forum's engines automatically remove unspoilered images from quotes to save bandwidth. It's just the Machinery doing its job.

no problem, i guess i never noticed it doing that before.... shows how much attention i pay
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:14:24 pm »

I think that you would find  The Victorian Clergyman  by Trevor May to be a useful book.
You can buy it online in the States from AMAZON or BARNES & NOBLE. (Both Links go to the book.)

If you are interested in Making your own costume, or know someone who can make it for you. The COSTUMER'S MANIFESTO website has an online copy of the  1898 edition of The Cutter's Practical Guide which is a useful source work for Victorian clothing. VOLUME 2 is the section that covers clerical wear
Ravenscroft
Gunner

Gravatar

Artistic Variant of the Mad Scientist.

steamboat28
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 05:54:59 pm »

I'm keenly interested in this topic on a few different levels. I've been pricing clericals for other projects, and thought about altering a cassock slightly to function for my own "steampriest" costume, with the aforementioned "utility belt" stashed away under it.

I was thinking something along the lines of a cassock
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
combined with the nehru-style coat Neo wears in the last two Matrix movies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 10:59:10 am by Ravenscroft » Logged
tophatdan
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 03:34:44 am »

that would be very interesting to see..
Maj. Clive Hathaway
Zeppelin Admiral

Gentleman Adventurer & Darklantern

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 04:55:20 pm »

Heres a couple of ideas for you... these are all coats on one of my fav. sites: bytheswordinc.com:

Matrix coat:
http://bytheswordinc.com/acatalog/The_Nehru_SE_Coat_100698c.html

Kleric coat:
http://bytheswordinc.com/acatalog/Klerik_Coat_100842.html

Anime duster (like Trigun but black):
http://bytheswordinc.com/acatalog/Anime_Duster_100778.html

My personal fav, the Highwayman reddingote:
http://bytheswordinc.com/acatalog/French_Highwayman_Coat_100530.html

Just a few ideas in the $100 to $200 range. Also, masonic cassocks can be had on ebay for diff prices...

"Death is the last Great adventure."

Lurk the Good Lurk.
Vampyre Master
Zeppelin Captain
Wales Wales

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 06:36:59 pm »

Greetings
My persona is Victorian cleric and I have many items acquired over many years see my avatar
V
Mr. Boltneck
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 08:22:44 pm »

You might find some inspiration from the original Hellraiser movie, too. The Cenobites in that are a kind of religious order (that's more or less the meaning of the word) and are dressed accordingly in creepy fetish versions of vestments. Douglas Bradley's memorable Pinhead character is more or less wearing a cassock, along with a sort of utility-belt/chatelaine of unpleasant sharp things. I don't recommend sewing garments to yourself, though.
Narsil
Rogue Ætherlord

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 11:12:51 pm »

I think that, apart from actual vestments for services etc anglican garb was pretty much as it is now, that is at the more sombre and restrained end of what a conventionally dressed person would wear.

It probably also depends which 'end' of the victorian era you;re talking about. Earlier on I supsect that, as with other professions, gowns and even wigs would have been more commonplace, orginally every profession which had 'clerical' roots had its own set of wig and gown (which survives even now in the legal profession), but certanly by the turn of the 19th century it was a case of black suit with clerical collar.

It salso worth bearing in mind that throughout the 19th century the alglican church was very much a career as much as a vocation and the majority of priests would have been younger sons of the gentry. There's also the missionary aspect if you want to explore more of a 'colonial' look.

Another avenue to explore is the idea of military chaplains, even if you don;t want to go down the military route as such it might be interesting to speculate about a sort of quasi military look for a chaplain to something like an engineering, mining or exploring 'guild'.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 11:22:07 pm by Narsil » Logged

A man of eighty has outlived probably three new schools of painting, two of architecture and poetry and a hundred in dress.
Lord Byron
misaditas
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 11:47:04 pm »

Meandering slightly off-topic, but that coat is terribly similar to the longcoats the military of Farscape wore

Steampunk Peacekeepers... *is assaulted by plot bunnies*
Archibald loughlin
Deck Hand

Today thou shalt be with me in paradise."

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2011, 03:47:03 am »

In the first picture what is the artical of clothing that drapes over his shoulders called for the life of me I can't figure it out?

Father Archibald Loughlin
TVC15
Zeppelin Overlord

Extremely hazardous...have some?

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2011, 05:13:03 am »

I can think of several images of clerics in films but most seem to be of the 'monk' or 'friar' types. If that suits your image, might I suggest the friar from the movie "Van Helsing" or possibly Ron Perlman's character in "Mutant Chronicles"? If this image is not what you have in mind, then, a moot point.

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time...
Archibald loughlin
Deck Hand

Today thou shalt be with me in paradise."

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2011, 06:52:23 am »

there is a great design on slioff.com tha I really like if I can find out how to post pics I will put it up
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 06:58:06 am by Archibald loughlin » Logged
Dr. Sniderbunk
Snr. Officer

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 01:58:19 am »

I would suggest looking at the Old TV show Little House on the Prairrie.  The Parson there on ormal every day clothing kept pretty much with what you might be looking for.

Careful on the Nehru Jacket.  I wear one for my own garb, but it was pointed out to be by someone who was a bit more on the acceptable period clothing that the Nehru did not make the scene until after the Victorian era.  I quickly pointed out that I was eccentric and I did not care to hear about fashion from any rugamuffin.  While this does illicit laughter you do have those who will talk aestetics over the general concept of the character that goes with the garb.
Dr Fidelius
Zeppelin Overlord

Professor of Applied Paleontology, Miskatonic U.

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 01:00:59 pm »

I would suggest looking at the Old TV show Little House on the Prairrie.  The Parson there on ormal every day clothing kept pretty much with what you might be looking for.

Careful on the Nehru Jacket.  I wear one for my own garb, but it was pointed out to be by someone who was a bit more on the acceptable period clothing that the Nehru did not make the scene until after the Victorian era.  I quickly pointed out that I was eccentric and I did not care to hear about fashion from any rugamuffin.  While this does illicit laughter you do have those who will talk aestetics over the general concept of the character that goes with the garb.

Oh yes.  And that ray gun and wrist-mounted Babbage engine are totally period-authentic.  Feh.

The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not represent any other persons, organizations, spirits, thinking machines, hive minds or other sentient beings on this world or any adjacent dimensions in the multiverse.
Lady Chrystal
Zeppelin Admiral
Wales Wales

Lady Adventurer, Chronicler

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 02:25:14 pm »

Really good programme on Radio 4 - available as a podcast here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/r4choice

Includes comments on the historical evolution of vestments in the UK, including a few references to the Victorian era and suitable sources for more research.

"The Chrystal? Ah, now - that would be telling."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: